• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles morales kinda sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Remember Ironheart, Female Thor (not Thor anymore and she was actually successful in the beginning), Amadeus Cho Hulk. Not my fault that the bar is too low. Him and Ms. Marvel (who is basically completely different from Captain Marvel) are what I'll call successful. They have stuck for long and a lot of their comic runs are great. Tbh, Marvel comics have been pretty shit in the last few years, they have relaunched too many times as nothing works, even Peter Parker comics have sucked for a long time. The last good Pete story IMO was probably Spider-Man: Life Story and that too had mixed reviews.

Well Miles is a baby compared to Jessica Drew, Kaine, Anya, Venom, Julia(Madam) and thats just the Spiders I can mention off head.
So hes not even the most successful Spiderman alt.
WarMachine, Thunderstrike, Jane Foster(FemThor shes now a Valkyrie and fights using Thors full Hammers style) are all still around.
But praising a character for being a good alt character isnt really a selling point because there arent very many alt characters in the first place.

Marvel really wants Miles to work so they will keep trying to force him on us but most people can see this character needs some serious help if he is going to go anywhere.

As for Ironheart....who is still around by the way and relegated to the same fate as Miles, her book didnt/doesnt work mainly because you cant really write a good story about a young black girl when you are a middle age white man with a bunch of middle age white men as consultants the chances of Ironheart not being CharacterX in black skin was like 0%.

P.S The Xmen books are and have been amazing dont slander them by blanketing them in a Marvel has been pretty shit statement. ;)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think he made his voice sound higher than it was for whatever reason. There’s a cutscene (towards the end, forget which one) where he actually sounds “normal” for a line or two.

Even in his interviews during the TLOU documentary from 6-7 years ago his voice doesn’t sound like that. Dude is 24 years old now.
Forgive the DP.

But yes thats the main issue with his performance in this game.
He tried to sound younger when I think he could have pulled it off without going as high as he did.
It reeks of quick localization anime game.

Arkam

A few hours in and its still not clicking like the first game. Not sure if its lack of novelty or the additions to the combat (venom powers), or the similarly dull story and flat characters. Let me be clear, I am having fun and the game looks gorgeous on PS5, just not as fun as last time. Missions like "rotate the trains" do little add to the enjoyment.

But will reserve ultimate judgement for when I complete the main story. Who knows might turn around over the course like RD2.

ShigeruMiyamoto

Neo Member
I platinumed the first Spider-Man game and enjoyed Miles Morales throughout. They force you to do New Game Plus stuff for the Plat in MM though, so I'm not doing that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Pretty dangerous opinion on Gaf.

Jethalal

Banned
Well Miles is a baby compared to Jessica Drew, Kaine, Anya, Venom, Julia(Madam) and thats just the Spiders I can mention off head.
So hes not even the most successful Spiderman alt.
WarMachine, Thunderstrike, Jane Foster(FemThor shes now a Valkyrie and fights using Thors full Hammers style) are all still around.
But praising a character for being a good alt character isnt really a selling point because there arent very many alt characters in the first place.

Marvel really wants Miles to work so they will keep trying to force him on us but most people can see this character needs some serious help if he is going to go anywhere.

As for Ironheart....who is still around by the way and relegated to the same fate as Miles, her book didnt/doesnt work mainly because you cant really write a good story about a young black girl when you are a middle age white man with a bunch of middle age white men as consultants the chances of Ironheart not being CharacterX in black skin was like 0%.

P.S The Xmen books are and have been amazing dont slander them by blanketing them in a Marvel has been pretty shit statement. ;)
Venom is miles better than Miles. He isn't Spider-Man though and hasn't had the mantle of Spider-Man. I don't just like him for being an alt, I genuinely think he is a great character and I loved the Bendis run and quite a few Avengers issues with him.

Marvel really wants Miles cause he is working. Kids are buying his toys, games, etc.

Ironheart was never popular and the character sucks IMO (hope MCU improves her).

Marvel sells more than 20 comics per week, 1 or 2 X-Men comics don't make up for the rest. They are good ( I haven't read 'em as not a huge X-Men buff) mostly due to Hickman and he can't write each and every Marvel comic.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
As soon as he started talking he pissed me off. Little goody two shoes with sign language and everything. I hope they get rid of him and bring back Peter.

Phin is even worse. That teenage girl is basically the strongest and smartest mind in the universe *roll eyes*

I really wanted to like Spiderman and Spiderman Miles Morales but I just found them both way to mundane and repetitive. Needless to say I won't be buying a third installment of the franchise.

drotahorror

His voice is a bit annoying. Loved the game though, super fun. Also was glad you could turn those stupid ass podcasts off while swinging around. Days Gone does a similar thing but you can skip them alteast, can't turn them off.

Nankatsu

Best Spider-Man is original PS4 one.

Haven't played the new game, but think I'll tolerate Miles better than fake Peter.

Arachnid

Even in the comics?
Miles in the comics was whiney, weak, introverted, and super unlikable. His comic version is what made me hate the character. To make it worse, they killed off Ultimate Spider-man (arguably the best iteration of both Pete and Spidey, not even kidding) to make Miles.

The person he is in Into the Spider-verse is a straight up 180. He's outgoing, likable, funny, and relatable in the movie. Tbh the comics should just start emulating him.

I couldn't even make it 2 hours into Spiderman on PS4 because Peter Parker was so fucking annoying. For some reason, the powers that be decided Peter Parker should turn into an annoying, walking, reddit quip machine. I just assume Miles Morales is more of the same. Can't stomach anything related to Spiderman these days because of it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't played MM but I thought, based on the original game that Miles would be a bit toned down with the comical quips. I mean his dad was murdered...it would have been awesome to see him take a bit of a darker perspective on crime in New York. Not like Batman or anything, but more...I dunno, serious?

Justin9mm

I did hate Miles' voice.. Really bad voice.. Something off about it.. It's really annoying to listen to depending on what he says..

Hey you know better than to criticize a 100 million dollar Sony movie game around here! (Even though I love them all going open world is not their thing)
I haven't played a Spiderman game since the...PS1 or PS2 days? I was just lobbing a mud pie into the mix. I gotta remember to put an /s or some other indicator of a joke because I'm not so good at the emails and internets.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think it’s pretty obvious that OP missed the exaggerated swagger of a black teen, that’s why he didn’t like him

edit: I’m late, so very late, I just wanted to be included like one of the cool kids

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Banned
Game was lackluster. I was talking about it with my friend today because I just finished it yesterday and was left underwhelmed especially after beating Spiderman remastered which was amazing

Arachnid

You mean the main character of the worst story arc in the whole history of Marvel Comics as a publishing enterprise?
Yeah, Ben was always kind of romanticized by the Spidey fanbase. There's a reason they killed him off and brought back Pete as the one and only.

IMO though, there are only a few acceptable alternate Spider people. One is 2099, just because he's more of a Batman Beyond situation. Also, I actually like Miguel as a character unlike Miles. I loved how he was written to be so wildly different from Pete in both personality and life situations. The other is Mayday Spider-girl, who is also a Batman Beyond type situation. That, and she's Petes daughter. She had her own unique personality, her own rogues gallery that didn't rip off Spidey's (mostly, she did do it here and there), and was so popular that she spawned her own Marvel Universe for a while.

Other than them though, Gwen, Miles, and whoever else can take a hike.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m not really into Miles Morales. I finished the first one back when it came out. I have nothing against the character except the “whoa dude” of becoming Spider-Man. I wanted something a bit more grounded after that original game. It’s fun for a while, but the missions are just so simple. It’s a cut of what the original was. It’s like playing 180-200 hours as Batman. Sooner or later you might get tired of being Batman.

Playing as Miles was more fun than playing as Peter, IMHO. His voice actor isn't amazing though.
I mean the powers he has makes him more fun to play as I agree - it’s just his character and story that’s incredibly annoying to me - sometimes I want to yell at the screen. I dunno maybe I would’ve felt the same way about Peter in the last game I didn’t play as much of it.

MAX PAYMENT

I agree. I didn't find the character very endearing. I can't tell if it's it's weaker voice acting or that the story was a bit weak.

The same reason racists went to go watch Black Panther in theatre
Why did they?

EDIT: But regardless, no, that would be ridiculous and incredibly dumb to spend 50 bucks as opposed to the price of a movie ticket to play as a character I liked a lot from into the spider verse and then suddenly and bewilderingly be put off by the fact that he’s black. Perhaps some people get their rocks off doing that I don’t know.
But yeah I’m criticizing the character as portrayed in the game. i don’t see how it’s problematic to criticize a character on the merits of how they’re portrayed regardless of their skin/gender/whatever.

Last edited:

Brute

Both Miles Morales and Marvel's Spider Man are examples of overhyped PlayStation exclusives that belong in a big pile of average with Days Gone and God of Bore.

Unfortunately I bought all of these games digital and I'm stuck with them. Meanwhile I'm having a load of fun playing Fenyx Rising, a game I didn't think I'd like.

Video games are weird.

Disclaimer: Bloodborne is a masterpiece though but everyone knows that.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wasn't a fan of the voice acting either, but otherwise I thought he was fine. Comes off as a very family and friend oriented teenage New York kid.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I have only played Remastered but Miles was fine to me.. but god damn that game is chock full of the most boring un-skippable cutscenes and wasted animations.

I would skip 95% of them if I could.

A game that respects that some people don't like... puzzles.. and let's you.. skip or turn those off... does not respect that many gamers don't give 2 shits about watching Peter have another boring convo with Mary Jane.

Sony devs habit of forcing cutscenes, animations, long walky-talky portions of games... it gives me such a love/hate relationship with their games.

"Let's make a system where we don't have to hide loading behind long corridors.. then force you to watch numerous 2-3 minute cut scenes."

Fuck off Sony.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

For me only disappointing is length and number of bosses/enemies from comic, other than that I enjoyd it more than original spiderman game (probably thx to betterr graphics and Miles new powers)

Last edited:
I have only played Remastered but Miles was fine to me.. but god damn that game is chock full of the most boring un-skippable cutscenes and wasted animations.

I would skip 95% of them if I could.

A game that respects that some people don't like... puzzles.. and let's you.. skip or turn those off... does not respect that many gamers don't give 2 shits about watching Peter have another boring convo with Mary Jane.

Sony devs habit of forcing cutscenes, animations, long walky-talky portions of games... it gives me such a love/hate relationship with their games.

"Let's make a system where we don't have to hide loading behind long corridors.. then force you to watch numerous 2-3 minute cut scenes."

Fuck off Sony.
I agree - I didn’t play much of the first one but I basically stopped due to the unskippable story. They need to make it so you can easily skip this stuff if you want

Thomish

As soon as he started talking he pissed me off. Little goody two shoes with sign language and everything. I hope they get rid of him and bring back Peter.

Phin is even worse. That teenage girl is basically the strongest and smartest mind in the universe *roll eyes*
But Peter is also a goody two shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom