• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mind blowing: Portal completed in 18 minutes

Well done, android. The enrichment center would like to remind you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance.

XonoX

Playing Portal made me ill.

Watching that video .........

501522239_81fb4dcdd5.jpg

Drakken

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot the orange portals are already there in the first stages.

Man, I can't even follow what he's doing in some of the levels. Very nice endgame solution.

EDIT: Also, he says he used a "walljump script" in the comments. What's this?

ckohler

Drakken said:
EDIT: Also, he says he used a "walljump script" in the comments. What's this?
From what I read, on the PC version, you can set up a script that makes it so that when you push a button you pick up an object and drop so rapidly that the object actually goes up more than it falls allowing you climb up walls. Speed runners don't consider this cheating since it's just taking advantage of the way the physics work.

Tieno

I finished the game and this is inredibly impressive. Half of the time it's so fast I don't even know what he's doing.

Haunted

Awesome how he handled the levels behind the scenes and the last boss.

Good job, although I disapprove of that jumping backwards to get faster shit.

Haunted

:Motorbass said:
Blame the devs, not the player ;]
Just a small aesthetic nitpick of mine. :/ But I forgive him because I actually laughed out loud at the way he handled Glados. very creative, very well done.

Borys

Banned
Man, the way he owned the last boss is just uncomprehensible for me. My mind is too small to wrap around it.

Tieno

Borys said:
Man, the way he owned the last boss is just uncomprehable for me. My mind is too small to wrap around it.
Yeah, I was like "what what what what, oh he got those cores, what what what she's dead? What?"

What?

ckohler said:
From what I read, on the PC version, you can set up a script that makes it so that when you push a button you pick up an object and drop so rapidly that the object actually goes up more than it falls allowing you climb up walls. Speed runners don't consider this cheating since it's just taking advantage of the way the physics work.

On the right track. You bind the macro to a key (most common the scrollwheel) to use the item in order to pull it forward with jump after. Then just look down and scrollwheel away. I never got the bind right, I thought the binds were +use and +jump, although my formatting might have been wrong too.

tanod

when is my burrito
Tieno said:
Yeah, I was like "what what what what, oh he got those cores, what what what she's dead? What?"

What?

I felt that that part may have been the only spoiler part of the video. On 360, I've only played through it once in regular and I did the advanced versions. I know the PC version is slightly different but I'm pretty sure if I spent enough time, I could get through the levels a lot faster than I did the first time. Certainly not as fast as that guy (especially since I'm not using a KB/M) though.

Quite amazing.

McHuj

Klaxon said:
80ln341.gif

I would like to know what the developers think when they see somebody doing a speedrun on their game and literally tearing it apart.

I believe either the latest issue (or the previous one) of GFW had an interview the developers and they were discussing one of the speed runs that they saw on Youtube. They were pretty amazed by it.

_RT_

I haven't touched Portal since watching this video.
I mean...... how can I? It would be like me trying to duplicate the Sistine chapel.

webrunner

He didn't use the door trick on 18? Isn't it a lot faster to use the door trick?
For those not in the know
You can use one of the computers in the hidden room, or a camera to hold the door open when you stand on the button so that it doesnt close giving you the ability to portal through it

Troidal

I forgot about this, and finally got to see it.

HOLY SHIT.

I didn't know you could destory that thing in that manner....simply amazing.

ckohler

Having done that trick on chamber 18, I think his method was faster and more reliable. That trick doesn't always work the first time you try it and could have ruined his perfect run.

NekoFever

That was amazing. I can't wait to see it when someone tries it without the missed shots (maybe tool-aided) to see how quickly this game can be done.

Leonsito

I finished Portal and made a couple of advanced maps and sometimes I didn't understand what I was seeing, oh my god, WOAH.

Does he has videos of the advanced maps?

medze

Trying to recreate any of these on a 360 controller is about as frustrating as trying to fit a square block through a circle hole

Borys

Banned
medze said:
Trying to recreate any of these on a 360 controller is about as frustrating as trying to fit a square block through a circle hole

That actually sounds easier :lol

Top Bottom