• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Dungeons |OT| Lootblocks!!!!!

Neil Young

Make sure you don't exit an area if there is a wall in front of the exit. It WILL let you leave but you'll end up in no man's land. I learned this the hard way after spending 30 mins in a dungeon.

bender

What time is it?
Make sure you don't exit an area if there is a wall in front of the exit. It WILL let you leave but you'll end up in no man's land. I learned this the hard way after spending 30 mins in a dungeon.

I had this happen in Creepy Crypt. Had to restart the level. That aside, I'm liking this way more than I thought I would. I'm not sure the loot variety or combat variety is there to completely scratch the Diablo itch, but this feels really good and I'm reminded of a less frantic version of Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy (both of which I really enjoyed).

Wishlist: Minimap overlay that you can toggle to a corner of the screen.

Last edited:

Xenon

After an hour or so thoughts.

The Good

It makes you use both your bow and melee for crowd control.

Hits feel good man. Though it seems like Im bitch slapping them with the dull side of my weapons

There is a surprising amounts of animation in this game. Seeing a creeper slowly roll down the stairs as it dies was kinda cool.

Most weapons have a couple choices for enchantment and three tiers.

Heath potion has a cool down.

It's simply fun to play.

The Bad

The game seems to have no real economy. The only thing I was able to do with my coins was trade for a random weapon.

Gear drops so often you rarely keep anything for too long.

local co-op or online not both.

Verdict so far

Overall I feel like this game but it's more like Gauntlet than Diablo. For me that's a good thing since I don't really care about tweaking my gear statistics and prefer the twitch arcade nature of the game. It's also pretty clear that this is a really well-made game with good graphics and sound. Definitely walking away impressed

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You can buy artifacts and weapons, both randomized and scaled to your level.

It's surprisingly hard (at least solo). The last levels really kicked my ass. Also a lot of variation in terms of enemies, level design, loadouts. I really like it, instantly bought the Hero Edition upgrade for my Game Pass version. That pet chicken is cute and the first two DLC packs are included.

And best thing: If you scrap an item you get back all points to enchant something else.

GymWolf

Played for like 1 hour, not really impressed.
Ultra easy and basic combat, no interaction with the environment and the chara is slow as fuck.

Maybe it's just the beginning...

Kagey K

Banned
My friends and I beat the tutorial tonight (and it took longer then 3.5 hours) because we explored everything and had fun figuring out our gear. Can’t wait to start adventure mode tomorrow just to see how diverse the builds can become.

It’s a fun time sink for people that like this type of game.

If this type of game isn’t your thing and you are going to run at the yellow arrow, I can see why you might not like it.

Kagey K

Banned
Played for like 1 hour, not really impressed.
Ultra easy and basic combat, no interaction with the environment and the chara is slow as fuck.

Maybe it's just the beginning...
It’s easy at the beginning on default but once you clear the swamp and pumpkin patch it ramps up. You can up the difficulty at any time if you want also.

Movement speed does get ramped up either through gear or through an artifact.

I didn’t find it terribly slow though.

GymWolf

It’s easy at the beginning on default but once you clear the swamp and pumpkin patch it ramps up. You can up the difficulty at any time if you want also.

Movement speed does get ramped up either through gear or through an artifact.

I didn’t find it terribly slow though.
Do i need to finish the game on normal or i just need to pass an area to up the difficulty? Because at the beginning you only have normal difficulty.

Kagey K

Banned
Do i need to finish the game on normal or i just need to pass an area to up the difficulty? Because at the beginning you only have normal difficulty.
When you select the stage I think you can hit RB to up the difficulty, before you go in. it will only let you bump up or down once or twice though.

GymWolf

When you select the stage I think you can hit RB to up the difficulty, before you go in. it will only let you bump up or down once or twice though.
I played the second stage and the difficulty after normal was grey and locked, maybe i need to finish the second level too?!

What's on offer here isn't bad at all for $20, but the game would greatly benefit from an expanded item/weapon pool. I'm assuming that'll come with updates and dlc.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Played for 20 minutes and it was enjoyable and relaxing. That's all I care about with the shitty day I've been having, so thumbs up.

Roberts

Ok, I take my words back - the closer you get to the end, the less relaxing it is. It's actually kind of challenging. But it is such a great game and not repetitious at all as long as you try different weapons and skills. Still finding my favorite combos. Also, my daughter is a bit too young to play games, but she watched me playing it and went crazy for it. Can't wait to play it with her in a year or two.

Dev1lXYZ

My kids love this game. While my son turned his nose up at it yesterday and refused to play it, today was a different story. His Minecraft elitism caved to the fun snappy combat and loot loop. If they can keep levels coming at a decent pace, this game may be a big hit with its target audience.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finished default mode. The last mission is surprisingly challenging and took me three attempts where everything leading up to that level was not all that difficult. I'm torn on this title. It's a lot of fun, plays well and has interesting loot mechanics (albeit a tad stingy), but it really feels like an Act I and not a full game. I know it's $20.00, but other ARPGs offer a lot more content in that price range. I guess there is something to be said about leaving your audience wanting more but I'll be curious to see how well this is supported. From the looks of it, I think future content will come with a price tag.

Neil Young

The game is fun enough. VERY basic. Probably a 6/10. You know how in cooking shows they use the word "passion" a lot? "Your dish lacked passion, and was bland." This game definitely lacked passion. Just no life, no humor, no...anything really. You're just the minecraft guy killing minecraft mobs.

I went back and played Children of Morta after this. No comparison. THIS game oozes passion. It was a bit shocking that an indie game is so much better than this first party effort.

pr0cs

Played with my daughter for a few hours , it's pretty damn hard, maybe the game scales for # of players because we wiped on a few levels when playing too aggressively.
It's merely okay, a nice mindless romp to kill time.
Shame they didn't try to continue more humour or homage to OG minecraft. Seemed like a wasted opportunity because the core game is fun and challenging, just needed some Lego game cheese to give it some personality

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Now that I have had a good amount of time with the game.

Pros:
  • Surprising depth in combing different artifacts and enchantments
  • Higher difficulty levels are fun and challenging
  • Good replay-ability with the added difficulty levels
  • Great family friendly couch co-op
Cons:
  • Not enough content - I know more is coming, so this will be hopefully rectified
  • Missed opportunity to add more Minecrafty elements - Why no crafting at all? - Why no limited block manipulation? (not even a Zelda like special block you can blow up or push)?
  • Can be a bit repetitive unless you change up your play style
  • Limited arrows (see again no crafting)

Last edited:
Arrows can definitely be a problem on some runs. Sometimes I get a ton of arrow drops, other times I go through 3/4's of the level with no ammo.
For some reason, I want a jump button in this game. I don't feel that way about other isometric arpgs, and I'm not quite sure why I feel this way here.
Other things I'd like...
Some form of crafting, it's freakin MineCRAFT.
Destructible environments.
Bigger levels.
Bigger hub area with more stuff to do.
A class system for better build variety.

It's a good framework, but I see a ton of unrealized potential here and I hope they expand the shit outta it.
If not, modders pls help.

As its name implies, the Jungle Awakens DLC will introduce the jungle biome to Minecraft Dungeons. Players will engage in three new missions to take on an unknown force, flanked by new mob types that include the Leapleaf, Jungle Zombie, and Poison Quill Vine. To aid them, players will have new weapons, armor, and artifacts that they can find over the course of their journey.

Mojang also briefly noted that Dungeons' second DLC pack is called Creeping Winter. There aren't many details on this second post-release pack, other than it will take players into the frozen mountaintops. Like Jungle Awakens, players can expect to see environmentally-appropriate mobs inhabit these DLC missions.

I don't think Microsoft execs really know why Minecraft is popular lol

This looks like a basic dungeon crawler with a minecraft skin

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't think Microsoft execs really know why Minecraft is popular lol

This looks like a basic dungeon crawler with a minecraft skin

No, what's in the game is good, the core gameplay is very nice. Problem is that there's not enough of it. To me the game has a distinct feeling of having "holes" that needs to be filled with more "life" and diverse content. But it definitely has plenty potential, and I really hope the devs don't miss the opportunity before the game dies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No, what's in the game is good, the core gameplay is very nice. Problem is that there's not enough of it. To me the game has a distinct feeling of having "holes" that needs to be filled with more "life" and diverse content. But it definitely has plenty potential, and I really hope the devs don't miss the opportunity before the game dies.
Agreed. Same there is NO crafting AT ALL anything that made minecraft minecraf.

Besides well random generated certain areas?

Talked about it with a few mates who played it. Pretty much the same opinion all around.

it's easy
it's simple
it's fun
we wouldn't recommend it

turtlepowa

Banned
If anyone is playing on Xbox, I could definitely use some help with the final boss. Add me: FrankCaron.
Pretty simple. In P2 just head top right and shoot him with your bow. He is out of the screen and does not attack you, but your arrows still hit him. Beat him 4 times on different difficulties and it worked everytime.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it just me, or is the last level of this game like insanely hard? My son and I breezed through the previous levels and were having a blast with the game. Now we got to the last level and we've died about 7 times now. Every time we go through, we level up a few times and get slightly better gear but it doesn't seem to matter. The game's sliding difficulty thing is now at the max and we can't move it back to make it any easier. The few hundred rupees we get on every run we try to use the gambling thing in town to get better gear but now it's always 7-10 levels below our current level.

We're gonna try one more time I think, but it's absolutely killed all of the joy we had playing it up to that point - what a shame.

GymWolf

Is it just me, or is the last level of this game like insanely hard? My son and I breezed through the previous levels and were having a blast with the game. Now we got to the last level and we've died about 7 times now. Every time we go through, we level up a few times and get slightly better gear but it doesn't seem to matter. The game's sliding difficulty thing is now at the max and we can't move it back to make it any easier. The few hundred rupees we get on every run we try to use the gambling thing in town to get better gear but now it's always 7-10 levels below our current level.

We're gonna try one more time I think, but it's absolutely killed all of the joy we had playing it up to that point - what a shame.
The only thing a bit hard was the final boss.

If you have any difficult use the artifact that make arrows with that blue aura who push enemies away, you can destroy most of the enemies with that shit.

Yesterday i found the hokuto no ken weapon...

Last edited:

Patch Notes from today

The Minecraft Dungeons update 1.02 patch notes have been confirmed by Mojang Studios, which is now available to download for PS4.

Minecraft Dungeons Update 1.02 Patch Notes
Fixes for All Platforms:

• Fixed several crashes that could occur during gameplay
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when starting a game session
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using fishing rods
  • Fixed several crashes related to picking up food items
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when moving away from enchanted mobs
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when joining a game
  • Minecraft Dungeons update 1.02 fixed players crashing if the host transitioned to Camp while when players were almost finished loading
  • Fixed infinite loading screen issue when transitioning between levels while players are loading in online co-op
  • Adjusted the look of the Hero Cape.
  • Added version number to the Settings screen
  • Fixed spawning and sometimes dying under the world when a mission is completed.
  • Minecraft Dungeons 1.02 fixed a slope in Pumpkin Pastures that could kill players just by walking into it.
  • It’s no longer possible to leave Creepy Crypt without picking up the tome.
  • Fixed the settings menu not able to be opened more than once from the main menu
  • Fixed the Surprise Gift enchantment not dropping any items
  • Fixed players getting stuck in railing on Highblock Halls when entering from the well during local co-op
  • Enchanted mob groups now have a chance of dropping rewards when defeated
  • While the left gamepad stick is being tilted, pressing the A button now results in attacking a mob instead of picking up an item
  • Minecraft Dungeons 1.02 fixed several issues that occurred while Player 3 was joining a game session in local co-op
  • Fixed merchants not showing up properly in online co-op
  • Food spawned from enchantments and the tables in Highblock Halls now count towards the “Om Nom Nom” achievement
  • Fixed “Kill the Zombie” tutorial hint lingering for too long
  • Fixed several text strings not fitting inside buttons in several languages
  • Minecraft Dungeons version 1.02 fixed the music for the stats and reward screen not playing after completing a mission
  • Implemented missing arrow impact sound effects
  • Fixed items spawned by Food Reserves and Surprise Gifts to not appear for all players in online co-op
  • Fixed a chance of getting stuck in the air when Ghost Cloak ran out
  • Fixed players sometimes getting sent back to the main menu when starting or completing mission
  • Spawn cage audio no longer continues to play after destruction
  • Minecraft Dungeons update 1.02 fixed chests sometime looping the opening sound effect
  • Fixed low host FPS disconnecting players during camp/mission transition
  • Fixed missing textures on the reward screen in several instances
  • Radiance enchantment effects are now visible to all players in online co-op
  • Fixed runes not activating properly for clients in multiplayer sessions
Nintendo Switch Fixes:

• Fixed the game becoming unresponsive when Airplane Mode has been turned on while waiting for the code to link a Microsoft Account
  • Fixed the quick unequip button being incorrect on single Joy-Con, as well as category shifting buttons being wrong after changing between single and dual Joy-Cons while in the inventory
  • Fixed incorrect button prompts on the user interface when using a single Joy-Con in local co-op
  • Minecraft Dungeons 1.02 fixed the game freezing when pressing the Back button on the code screen while linking a Microsoft Account
PlayStation 4 Fixes:

• Fixed a green line that appeared at the bottom of the Mojang Studios splash screen in 1080p
  • Trophies are now disabled for non-PSN account local users on PS4 local co-op when not Player 1

cormack12

Gold Member
Started this yesterday. Enjoying it between other games as a few quick levels. Had to change the control scheme because that shit was crazy. Its actually quite challenging and not a lot of great loot is dropping. I'm only level 7 I think so long way to go yet. I wish there was more hints as to what shit like the horn and fishing rod do.

Top Bottom