• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

OmegaFax

I've been playing the game for a couple of hours. The pixel crawl from the 720p resolution starts to become more apparent on a 1080p native display. There's no getting around the lower resolution. Isn't a problem on the Switch's native 720p display. It looks crisp in portable mode.

Performance:

Menus struggle in certain circumstances. Easy way to see slowdown is to go into Creative Mode -> Brewing -> Right Analog down to Second to Last Screen -> Drag your selection cursor across the top of the screen left and right. Then right analog all the way to the very last screen (with about ~9 potions in the creative menu) and things speed up to 60fps again).

The Vita version also struggles here. PS4 version doesn't flinch.

jariw

Definitely.

All this does is bring my character back down to the ground, but doesn't fix how gravity affects him. So push "A" to go up and click the right stick down to move down. When I started the map for the first time, gravity was on and I was moving around the land normally, but once I started flying around, I can't go back to moving around normally. I'm always hovering and if I go up (use stairs or just move up terrain) I stay that way. I have to manually press the right stick down to go back down. It makes testing stairs I'm adding into my place feel unnatural. I guess I'll have to do some research on how to put gravity back the way it was.

According to my kid, you should double-tap the jump button to get back to normal movement mode.

Why is the game 600mb bt the save data is 2gb ?

Because the engine/textures/sounds are not very demanding but it has to save literally every block and object in the world.

A maximum size Switch world is 3072x3072x512. In practice not every space is going to be filled with something, but when you multiply that out you get 4,831,838,208. If each of those was 1 byte, that's 4.8 gigabytes (uncompressed). And that doesn't include items stored in chests, monsters, animals, other unique world features etc.

Because the engine/textures/sounds are not very demanding but it has to save literally every block and object in the world.

A maximum size Switch world is 3072x3072x512. In practice not every space is going to be filled with something, but when you multiply that out you get 4,831,838,208. If each of those was 1 byte, that's 4.8 gigabytes (uncompressed). And that doesn't include items stored in chests, monsters, animals, other unique world features etc.

It's not as bad as all that. The worlds are procedurally generated off a seed value, so the saves should only have the differences. This will increase as you change the world, of course. The PS4 saves are big, but nowhere near 2GB.

jts

...hate me...
Also a new Minecraft player here. Still in tutorial, but definitely intrigued. Enjoying so far.

Btw is it me or did this game influence a bit Zelda BotW?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Marketing email from Nintendo about minecraft - click through to web store - sign in - buy - will be downloaded by the time I get home

Surprisingly smooth experience, nicely done Nintendo

Kurt

Need no touchpad, they can use pointer/gyro aiming.

I agree on that pointer and gyro is already a lot better than dual analog. But some kind of touchpad is most comparable with moving a mouse. Think about it on how it could play.

About minecraft. I still hope for an update with dual joycon support

Also a new Minecraft player here. Still in tutorial, but definitely intrigued. Enjoying so far.

Absolutely. As time goes on, we'll see more and more huge games deeply influenced by this thing, I feel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not as bad as all that. The worlds are procedurally generated off a seed value, so the saves should only have the differences. This will increase as you change the world, of course. The PS4 saves are big, but nowhere near 2GB.

Maybe it reserves the max because otherwise if the save grows over time then it might fill your internal memory and you couldn't play anymore?

Does it reserve 2GB per world though? I can imagine needing at least a couple of worlds to play around with and maybe both my kids would want their own worlds. That'd be like 8.4GB gone just like that.. need to be able to use an SD card for stupidly large data like this. Maybe keep a small save game as a key in internal memory if Nintendo are concerned about save swapping/hacking, but store the basic data on SD card

Buying this as I'm packing for a major move was a stupid, stupid idea.

(I also wanted to wait for a physical edition, but... oh well.)

I know, of course it doesn't literally need 4.8 gigs, just giving a baseline napkin math thing.

On the PC version at least, it doesn't just save the differences, or else it does and "differences" occur as soon as a chunk is loaded (which is likely, what with grass growing, lava igniting foliage, gravel falling). It saves every chunk that has ever been loaded. You can tell this by exporting a map with various programs, the data on disk consists of only areas that have been walked through, physically seen by a player. Wouldn't be surprised if it's similar on console, though it's likely that it takes up a larger amount initially just to reserve all the space it might reasonably need in advance.

jariw

Yes:
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/13/zelda-breath-wild-director-minecraft-terraria-inspired/

(IMO, the connections between BotW and Terraria is even more clear.)

I think this is one of the reasons why many younger players seem to feel so at home in BotW, while older Zelda players might struggle with the lack of direction.

I've had a surprising amount of slowdown in heavily forested areas while portable.

Frame rates don't usually bother me but it's quite noticeable here. Definitely not the solid 60 i've been hearing about in reviews.

Other than that, yup! it's minecraft

Ninja Dom

Oh shit!!

Die and you lose everything in your inventory.

I started a brand new Survival game again but I can't decide if I should play Mario skin or default. 🤔

molnizzle

Oh shit!!

I started a brand new Survival game again but I can't decide if I should play Mario skin or default. ��

Mario world is fun to fuck around in, but you prob wouldn't enjoy a full Survival map with that music and weird look of the items.

If you're new to Minecraft I'd stick to the original skin for a bit at first.

edit: for the record though, you can set the skin before each session. You can go back and forth between Mario, original, or any other skin using the same map. It's not a hard locked choice.

Oh shit!!

I started a brand new Survival game again but I can't decide if I should play Mario skin or default. 🤔

There are settings either when you start the world or somewhere that you can disable dropping your inventory when you die
Otherwise, get back to wherever you died within 5 minutes and you can grab your loot and EXP you dropped.

Robin64

This guy's a total faker, he can jump.

C_o_m4OUMAEpcBH.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh shit!!

It's dark souls - you have to go and find your soul within 5 mins to collect everything. Can be a challenge if you're spelunking so balance that risk/reward

AEREC

I've had a surprising amount of slowdown in heavily forested areas while portable.

Frame rates don't usually bother me but it's quite noticeable here. Definitely not the solid 60 i've been hearing about in reviews.

Other than that, yup! it's minecraft

"60 FPS at all times" is more like "Targets 60 FPS" or "60 FPS 90% of the time"

I wonder if the OP will be updated.

To whoever I was just playing with, sorry I had to drop. (Sucks there's no messaging or voice option in this.)

I'm at work, and my pizza got delivered.

We can finish our giant inverted house and moat later.

f@luS

More than a member.

Ok thanks. But it Sux that it goes to internal memory like a save. No way to put on sd?

EDarkness

To whoever I was just playing with, sorry I had to drop. (Sucks there's no messaging or voice option in this.)

I'm at work, and my pizza got delivered.

We can finish our giant inverted house and moat later.

Has anyone tried connecting a USB keyboard and chatting that way? I thought I saw something about chatting in the options menu when I was looking last night.

Damn, I went and bought it. Here's hoping I can fall in love with it like my kids did and maybe build something that isn't a rectangle with a door sticking on the front of it.

Ok thanks. But it Sux that it goes to internal memory like a save. No way to put on sd?

No there isn't right now, and might never be. Nintendo correctly realized that the way all their consoles get hacked is people being able to muck around with save files from SD cards and external drives, no matter how encrypted and obfuscated they may be. A really common tactic is to make special saves that you load to cause a buffer overflow and execute other code on the card or drive. If people have no read/write access to saves at all, this is going to be a lot more difficult to do.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
No there isn't right now, and might never be. Nintendo correctly realized that the way all their consoles get hacked is people being able to muck around with save files from SD cards and external drives, no matter how encrypted and obfuscated they may be. A really common tactic is to make special saves that you load to cause a buffer overflow and execute other code on the card or drive. If people have no read/write access to saves at all, this is going to be a lot more difficult to do.

That can add up over time. I guess there will be people who will fill up their internal storage with save games. Cloud saving service to the rescue!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So, I assume others are having issues with the scaling of the screen size in docked mode? It's cutting off the button prompts under the inventory on my ks8000.

Mik2121

So almost 24 hours after launch, buy or pass? I'm stuck on this or Puyo Puyo Tetris

As a person who played the original on PC from Alpha to about 1.7 or so and put hundreds of hours in total... buy. I got this yesterday and I'm back to having fun creating my own house with a small farm to sustain myself, then I'll slowly start building some large castle or something. There are many new things that I didn't know about so some parts feel like a new game to me.

Have you ever played it on PC?

If anyone wants a seed with a village, type in Francis (with the capital F)!

My first world I used the seed Intrepid but with what I've explored, there's not that much interesting going on. I was messing around, wondering if I could get a really good seed that starts you out somewhere cool, and on my first try I typed in Francis (I don't know anyone by that name, I dunno why I picked it), I started out in a scenic open area already facing a cool lil' village. About 6 houses, several sets of bookshelves, and in my game there was a chest with bread and helmets in it.

So almost 24 hours after launch, buy or pass? I'm stuck on this or Puyo Puyo Tetris

Buy, it's a great game you can keep coming back to.

As a person who played the original on PC from Alpha to about 1.7 or so and put hundreds of hours in total... buy. I got this yesterday and I'm back to having fun creating my own house with a small farm to sustain myself, then I'll slowly start building some large castle or something. There are many new things that I didn't know about so some parts feel like a new game to me.

Have you ever played it on PC?

Never played on PC, I did get the Platinum on the PS4 version and quite enjoyed Survival mode. I could never get into Creative mode though

Mik2121

Never played on PC, I did get the Platinum on the PS4 version and quite enjoyed Survival mode. I could never get into Creative mode though
I see... I don't know how the PS4 version looks or feels, but this being on the switch meaning you can properly play from both your TV or on the move, was what sold me.
I believe the maps are smaller than on PS4 but seemingly still big. If you can live with that...

I see... I don't know how the PS4 version looks or feels, but this being on the switch meaning you can properly play from both your TV or on the move, was what sold me.
I believe the maps are smaller than on PS4 but seemingly still big. If you can live with that...

The PS4 worlds felt plenty big to me, and the portability is a huge plus. (Plus my campus is extremely nerdy, and lots of people have Switches already)

I'm physically unable to not recommend Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Dammit stop making this harder for me. I don't need to be buying 2 new games at once when my backlog is already huge.

Top Bottom