• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft surpassed 144 million copies sold.

Brizzo24

I still haven't played it, maybe I should try it out...

Make that 144 million and one! Try it out. It really revolutionized the industry with its simple, yet intricate, mechanics. Nice game to chill out with--if you're like me and just want to build or blow shit up.

I bought into the hype back when the game was in its semi-early development stages. I guess that was the "beta." I never bothered with the game on consoles, outside of the demo I DL'd on my PS4. Maybe because for this game the mouse + keyboard feels superior, and because I bought into (and got grandfathered) for the game back in the day.

Blam

I wonder how many of those are since the Microsoft acquisition?

I can guarantee a fuck ton.

Microsoft is pushing the whole every platform parity and the crossplay so it's really because of them. Last time I saw the counter before the acquisition for PC alone it was 15mil.

Dlink16

Insane number. Tried it only a few times and enjoyed it, but haven't really felt the urge to play again.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wonder how much the franchise has made total including merchandise fur MS after the purchase?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder how much the franchise has made total including merchandise fur MS after the purchase?

Well, if it has sold 100 million since MS brought it and they made roughly $15 a sale thats $1.5 billion,

Pretty good deal for $2 billion. Im sure they will make a profit by the time next gen comes.

I wasn't interested for a long time, just seeing so many kids (including my own) playing it. I was kind of dismissive of it based on the demographic that seemed to make up the bulk of the player base, but I tried it several years ago and absolutely loved it. Such an amazing game imo.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well, if it has sold 100 million since MS brought it and they made roughly $15 a sale thats $1.5 billion,

Pretty good deal for $2 billion. Im sure they will make a profit by the time next gen comes.

Oh I am sure it was a mind share purchase and not a financial one. But I’d imagine if you include everything from merchandise licensing they will make thier money back.

Last edited:

BionicRoo

The education version of Minecraft is pretty cool too: https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/20...ls-and-items-will-teach-kids-about-chemistry/

mc-edu.jpg

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Congrats to one of the all-time great videogames, and the scariest by far. I can’t count the number of times I nearly suffered a heart attack when a Creeper would drop into my lap. Try playing with headphones on for maximum effect.

One thing that has puzzled me is the lack of copycats and imitators. Tetris inspired Columns and Puyo Puyo. Quake inspired Unreal. Mario inspired Sonic. There should be variations on the Minecraft formula. Terraria is an excellent example, but in a 2D style. Let’s see something in 3D.

I didn't pay much attention when it first came out but figured I'd give the demo a try when it came to the 360. Figured my son would like it (he was 3 at the time I believe). I was blown away--we had so much fun. He doesn't it very often any more but now his younger brother is getting into it. When I hear the music it takes me back to when we first started playing it--good memories.

Frenzy-kun

Neo Member
Congrats to one of the all-time great videogames, and the scariest by far. I can’t count the number of times I nearly suffered a heart attack when a Creeper would drop into my lap. Try playing with headphones on for maximum effect.

One thing that has puzzled me is the lack of copycats and imitators. Tetris inspired Columns and Puyo Puyo. Quake inspired Unreal. Mario inspired Sonic. There should be variations on the Minecraft formula. Terraria is an excellent example, but in a 2D style. Let’s see something in 3D.
I see dozens of imitators. From the successful dragon quest builders to the so so portal knights passing through the invisible stellar overload. But I would not say they are imitators. It's a genre on itself and that's what amazes me the most.

Mattyp

Gold Member

They're already into profit with this they way of merchandising and branding. Insane price they picked this up for all things considered now.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wonder if they will ever make the game part any good. As a creativity and learning tool it is unmatched, but the gamey bits are still pretty bad. Would love to see MS bridge that gap some.

Harlock

I has been playing the PS4 version with my 4 year daughter. Best game for kids. There is an Adventure Time pack with a lot of cool castles. Is free for trial (you can't save).

JCK75

One my 5 year old started watching youtube videos of it I just had to buy it for him, now I've purchased a realm and play with him almost every day. What I think really makes it special is how easy and open the coop play is, pretty much all platforms work together and see each other over LAN. So far the Switch version is the only outlier, waiting for that update to drop.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
How many copies does everyone own? It's probably the one game that I'll end up buying on so many platforms. Right now the kids and I play it on a laptop (two licenses for co-op with another laptop) and on the Wii U, and I'll probably add the Switch to that before long.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
How many copies does everyone own? It's probably the one game that I'll end up buying on so many platforms. Right now the kids and I play it on a laptop (two licenses for co-op with another laptop) and on the Wii U, and I'll probably add the Switch to that before long.
I have the mobile edition and the XB1 edition.

Honestly, these types of games aren't for me. I just don't enjoy having games drop me in a sandbox and tell me to just go. I'm not sure how they did it, but the first State of Decay managed to strike the perfect balance for me.

Never played it but something tells me What i missed ive experienced in games post minecraft so no real need to delve into it. Also its just so unappealing to me, aethestically and gameplay-wise

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder how a sequel would work. This feels like one of those situations where they're afraid to put one out. People have bought lots of texture packs that wouldn't carry over, and a new one might not capture the magic as well.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I wonder how a sequel would work. This feels like one of those situations where they're afraid to put one out. People have bought lots of texture packs that wouldn't carry over, and a new one might not capture the magic as well.

The idea of Minecraft is that it’s endlessly expandable and can expand in pretty much any direction. This is a different model from “sequels” that usually offer the same experience with one or two new features and improved graphics. Since visuals don’t apply to a game like this (you could put Minecraft on the original Playstation), there are only the added features, and Mojang is already offering those.

A few year ago, I worked on a project proposal for a Minecraft expansion, back when Mojang offered the possibility of third-party expansion packs. I should dust those papers off and send them over to see what they think. I’m sure everybody has their own “Pet Minecraft.”

Top Bottom