• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft surpassed 144 million copies sold.

Sophist

Nearly 100 million of them. Microsoft aquired Minecraft in 2014 towards the end of the year.

The article says 144 million copies of the game have been sold across more than a dozen platform. Notch's tweet is referring to the PC version only. At that time, the pocket edition had already sold +21 millions of copies.

magnumpy

is anyone still playing this? it's obviously very popular, but honestly the experience is a little thin....

octiny

Banned
MS be rolling in that dough.

giphy.gif

CRAIG667

My kids love it, I sometimes play with them, they're both under 10 but we've created some enormous environments. It gets old though, I only ever play when I'm being pestered to do so.

I think for kids though it's an amazing experience for engaging imagination through play and learning to think in a 3 dimensional way is brilliant.

Meh3D

What's the word on the Super Duper Graphics Pack that was promised for Xbox One X?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
What's the word not the Super Duper Graphics Pack that was promised for Xbox One X?
It sure was a great way to kill some time at one of the countless flimsy MS E3 conferences. Maybe it'll be ready for the make-believe Hololens version.

Last edited:

Meh3D

It sure was a great way to kill some time at one of the countless flimsy MS E3 conferences. Maybe it'll be ready for the make-believe Hololens version.

That sucks. I've been playing Minecraft with the boyfriend and room mate. We all just got into it last month. Out of the blue I spoke to them about a Microsoft update to 4K. We looked at the teaser and got excited only to find out the pack never came on release day (November 2017) and still no update.

Oh well... Back to my treehouse that is in progress.

bitbydeath

The article says 144 million copies of the game have been sold across more than a dozen platform. Notch's tweet is referring to the PC version only. At that time, the pocket edition had already sold +21 millions of copies.

Verge had claimed they were over 50M sold at time of purchase.

Microsoft acquired Minecraft maker Mojang nearly two years ago, and at the time it had sold more than 50 million copies across PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and other platforms.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/2/11838036/minecraft-sales-100-million

Very impressive.

Last edited:

xviper

well earned, one of the best creative games ever made, i personally didn't like it, couldn't play more than an hour

Lanrutcon

I keep thinking of Minecraft 2 as some kind of super weapon. The moment MS want to push some consoles: boom. Drop a hint that the sequel is coming. Print some money.

Lanrutcon

Imagine of Minecraft 2 was next box exclusive

Nextbox and Window 10 store exclusive, cross platform play, built in streaming support, online store to buy mods and assets from various franchises you know and love. Want that Gears of War themed weapon pack? Or maybe a set of Sea of Thieves mod that gives you a custom pirate game mode? Server license sold separately.

I can imagine that would cause some waves.

Disclaimer: I do not own an Xbox.

Mattyp

Gold Member

I could see them doing PC, XBOX & Nintendo. It's massive IP to withhold if they want to. I think Minecraft is separate entity to itself but and mind share on every market and continuing to be such a massive game.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Has Microsoft fixed that mess they call Bedrock edition yet? Just look at the store reviews, yikes.

They have said they are not working on Minecraft 2, but instead expanding the existing platform. Minecraft will always be just Minecraft and will never be exclusive.

Last edited:
Has Microsoft fixed that mess they call Bedrock edition yet? Just look at the store reviews, yikes.

They have said they are not working on Minecraft 2, but instead expanding the existing platform. Minecraft will always be just Minecraft and will never be exclusive.

I thought I read somewhere that the PS4 version is not getting anymore major updates past aquatic. While it will not be exclusive, it might start to anger some users, if Sony still does not want to play ball on crossplay.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I thought I read somewhere that the PS4 version is not getting anymore major updates past aquatic. While it will not be exclusive, it might start to anger some users, if Sony still does not want to play ball on crossplay.
They (Mojang) are claiming to still be supporting the PS4 version, though they are certainly lagging behind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom