• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Switch details: 60fps, 13x bigger worlds than WiiU, WiiU world transfers

Robin64

It's about time that Realms came to consoles, though.

At E3 2016, they said it was about a year away. So here's hoping it's not too long now if it's still happening.

jariw

Own the game on PC , got a couple questions for console owners :

The same game sans the resolution on PC ?

I'd say that the PC version is completely different to both the PE and console versions. The PC version is very much about things like dedicated servers, mod support, flexibility and being able to change anything. The crafting is simplified in the non-PC versions.

The console versions are...console versions. Every additional thing like skins are DLC.

patientx

I'd say that the PC version is completely different to both the PE and console versions. The PC version is very much about things like dedicated servers, mod support, flexibility and being able to change anything. The crafting is simplified in the non-PC versions.

The console versions are...console versions. Every additional thing like skins are DLC.

Well, I still play from time to time but never really got into a lot of modding and you ll be surprised I haven't even did any alchemy or newer stuff then later betas. So if basic crafting is in and I play survival, explore caves, build track and just dig deep to find new locations I am in.

Dremorak

Banned

At E3 2016, they said it was about a year away. So here's hoping it's not too long now if it's still happening.

Whats Realms again? I remember when it was announced thinking it doesn't interest me at all. Whats the draw?

nynt9

Whats Realms again? I remember when it was announced thinking it doesn't interest me at all. Whats the draw?

Persistent dedicated servers so you can build together with friends even if you're not all online at the same time. It's the best thing ever.

RAWRferal

60fps portable Minecraft without significant limitations is a huge deal for the Switch, especially for winning over the younger generation. Exciting!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Best version of minecraft confirmed.
On the go 60 fps minecraft.

Wow just WOW

mcrommert

Banned

OMG please merge pocket and console... Though Sony will never accept Xbox live integration so their version will be siloed away

Then just java and everything else

Plum

Definitely gonna be getting this. I still like playing Minecraft from time to time but I just can't muster much enthusiasm if I'm on my PS4 or Vita; the Switch version sounds perfect for that.

Wonder how the game's gonna perform in splitscreen, I'm guessing a drop down to 30fps.

Cerium

Definitely gonna be getting this. I still like playing Minecraft from time to time but I just can't muster much enthusiasm if I'm on my PS4 or Vita; the Switch version sounds perfect for that.

Wonder how the game's gonna perform in splitscreen, I'm guessing a drop down to 30fps.
My understanding is that in previous games, splitscreen affected draw distance and not fps.

I've only played Minecraft once at a friend's place, I didn't really understand it. I've played thousands of games yet I've ignored what is one of the largest of them all. I enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders so maybe now it's time for me to buy my first copy of Minecraft.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Would Realms come to Switch? Or would it probably only come to Xbox One and PS4?

I've only played Minecraft once at a friend's place, I didn't really understand it. I've played thousands of games yet I've ignored what is one of the largest of them all. I enjoyed Dragon Quest Builders so maybe now it's time for me to buy my first copy of Minecraft.

I think it depends on what sort of player you are. There's something fun about survival mode where you're basically thrown into the wilderness and you have to start from scratch. I've been able to make really awesome settlements with my friends, which I think is where some of the fun comes from itself. Single player Survival might not be much fun at all.

On the flip side, just going out and building things is great. I've tackled cities, treeforts, giant settlements, and all sorts of other things. Again, its more fun with friends but this gets a lot of time out of me for being able to do it by myself.

Would Realms come to Switch? Or would it probably only come to Xbox One and PS4?

I think it seems like a good possibility, especially if they can get online stuff working. Seems like the next step if they can but I don't know much about Switch's online infrastructure. If Nintendo isn't sharing what their online service will be with devs it'd probably be more difficult to expect it, especially if Nintendo forces them to do it through their app thing or something.

Wedzi

Banned
Sounds to be a solid port. I expect it to climb up to the top of the Switch download charts and then stay around there for quite some time.

Piggus

So will realms cost a monthly fee? Have they talked about how it will work?

It's like any other dedicated server platform. The person who wants to start a Realms server pays a monthly fee ($8 per month on PC on for 11 players) and it's free for anyone who joins that server.

Orayn

Great news about world size. This seems like a really good one to play in portable mode while listening to podcasts or half-watching something on TV.

MSRP shows $30.

Also I think the Mario pack was sold separately.

Yep it was $30 (or $29.99 I guess) and included at the time the regular stuff plus I believe a handful of skin packs included, plus there were a few you could buy. In the time since then, they introduced the Mario and all the new Worlds, and I'm pretty sure the Mario skins were included in the free update.

atbigelow

Only ever bought the PC version of Minecraft yeaaaaaars ago.

But I'm feeling drawn to this version. Really hoping they get Realms support in quickly.

nynt9

They emphasized that they wanted to get the game fully caught up with the other console versions, so I assume it'll get realms.

Realms isn't on other console versions. It's only on PC and mobile. As such, it's unlikely it will be available on the switch.

nynt9

This will be the definitive version of Minecraft. This and MK8D alone will keep Switch selling well throughout the summer.

I think it will likely be good for switch sales, but calling it the definitive version of the game is a stretch when the ps4 and xbox one versions have larger map sizes and the PC version has infinite maps, modding, realms, and most importantly command blocks.

That being said, it would be amazing if this version one day got command blocks and realms. Having a version of actual full-on Minecraft on the go with real controls would be nice.

M3d10n

In Minecraft the world is generated by a bunch of random 3D noise functions, which take a XYZ coordinate and returns information about that block (empty or filled, which its made of, etc).

Starting with a seed number, the noise function always returns the same value for the same XYZ coordinates: the world is a mathematical formula. So it doesn't need to pre-generate anything and the player can travel for thousands of kilometers and the game just has to run the function to know how the world looks around wherever the camera is. This is how worlds can be "infinite" on smartphones.

The problem begins with the player starts modifying the world: those changes must be saved somehow, otherwise they would disappear after the player traveled too far and came back. On mobiles and PC, apps can do whatever the fuck they want with the storage space until they run out of it. Not so much on consoles: AFAIK console vendors place restrictions on how storage is used, and the way Minecraft is constantly hitting the HDD to write/read data clashes with that.

Therefore, on consoles Minecraft uses a more traditional save/load mechanic, where the world is loaded all at once when the player chooses to continue a game instead of whenever the camera moves around.

Online is another issue. AFAIK Minecraft on consoles uses P2P, not dedicated servers which can store worlds spanning several gigabytes and streams to players only the (modified) portions surrounding them. With a fixed size world, the whole world can be sent to a newly connected player in one go. It also enables host migration (though I don't know if console Minecraft supports this), since all players have the entire world.

J@hranimo

Banned
They're really knocking it out of the park getting this out in Switch's 3rd month compared to the Wii U's 3rd YEAR.

Before the recent Direct I was expecting it during the holiday. Very nice, this should do well in May :)

Imagine if Nintendo made an officially licensed Pokemon expansion with Pokemon catching and training on classic maps for Minecraft that was exclusive to the Switch. They would sell shit tons of Switches and copies of Minecraft!

Zero Chance of it happening, but it's interesting to think about!

Buggy Loop

Will be the first time i dip back into minecraft since the early versions on PC.

I'm guessing that a LOT has changed since then?

I think it will likely be good for switch sales, but calling it the definitive version of the game is a stretch when the ps4 and xbox one versions have larger map sizes and the PC version has infinite maps, modding, realms, and most importantly command blocks.

That being said, it would be amazing if this version one day got command blocks and realms. Having a version of actual full-on Minecraft on the go with real controls would be nice.

I get you but having an HD, 60fps, closer to current gen World size, dual analogue version of the game available on the go will make it the definitive version to a lot of people.

Effect

Surprised it wasn't the full PS4/XBO version. Though I guess with the portable mode they wanted to make sure it ran well first and foremost. Seems like the better call. Just glad it's close to the PS4/XBO version though. The word size should be plenty for a lot of people. Good that transfers will be made possible.

gafneo

Banned
So wonder why Microsoft has gone 3rd party with this particular game. They should release Goldeneye by 4J on the Switch just to make an extra buck.

Top Bottom