• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Windows 10 version

Please no JAVA !

I dont want to remember hosting a 5 player server that normally consumed 6gb of ram and 75% of my server CPU. fuk dat.

I bet that in C++ and DX12 it would be silk smooth.

Backlogger

Cool. I wish this were available on Steam, but I guess this is okay. I may grab a second copy for my son if it's only going to be $10. Sounds like this might be the console version? A little more streamlined perhaps?

bomblord1

Banned
Please no JAVA !

I dont want to remember hosting a 5 player server that normally consumed 6gb of ram and 75% of my server CPU. fuk dat.

I bet that in C++ and DX12 it would be silk smooth.

I've had 20+ people on a server with only 2GB dedicated to Java and a Pentium CPU.

leeh

You actually just made my point for me, LOL! :)
No? So your point was that they were gaining more control by moving everyone over to the W10 version, when they have full control anyway.

If the W10 version includes actual mod support, and personal servers in the future, then scrap the Java version.

Durante

Its always about making money.

You don't continue to have the bank MS do by not pursuing money making strategies.
Indeed.

And these days, the most effective money-making strategy is controlling a vertically integrated platform with a closed marketplace. (See: Apple, Google)

That's why I'm fucking terrified of everything MS does in the PC space.

JaggedSac

It isn't about making money. Microsoft already have a shitload of money, that is how they bought Minecraft.

What they want is control.

What they want is to have people download at least one thing from the wasteland that is their app store. This is a Trojan horse for the app store.

Truespeed

Why would the Win10 version lose mod support though? They said multiple on the MineCon stream that modding is important. They had a whole panel for it even. If the plan is to, over time, ween people off of Java and onto Win10 then wouldn't mod support be something that they would have to take into consideration?

One of the developers said it made modding more difficult I believe. Besides, one of the nice things about Java is being able to run the game on any platform that supports the JVM. So, while a Win 10 version is nice, I didn't see any mention of the same version for Linux, Mac, etc.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Cool. I wish this were available on Steam, but I guess this is okay. I may grab a second copy for my son if it's only going to be $10. Sounds like this might be the console version? A little more streamlined perhaps?

No, it is a Win10 port of the Pocket Edition (PE), after July 29th they will be the same version as a PE/W10 edition. This is not based on the Xbox port by 4J.

I'm guessing you will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play this version online, correct?

Not so far. Will that change in time? I doubt it, they want people playing this version easily, locking it behind Xbox Live would hamper that.

SerTapTap

The input options stuff sounds great, hopefully worlds will be cloud saved too.

One of the developers said it made modding more difficult I believe. Besides, one of the nice things about Java is being able to run the game on any platform that supports the JVM. So, while a Win 10 version is nice, I didn't see any mention of the same version for Linux, Mac, etc.

The whole point of the win 10 version is to integrate desktop, tablet, controller touch and everything in between across one user account. Not even really possible to integrate that into another ecosystem.

Truespeed

The whole point of the win 10 version is to integrate desktop, tablet, controller touch and everything in between across one user account. Not even really possible to integrate that into another ecosystem.

So I guess it's really not a "universal" app unless you're running some sort of windows OS. But, unless this is sorted out the Java version isn't going to be replaced anytime soon.

flux1

I was excited to finally be able to run a non-java version on PC until I saw it's a pocket edition port. That seems pointless as any low end tablet Windows 10 can run on should be able to run at least 360/PS3 sized worlds.

Well, the theories of them abandoning the real version seem less likely as this one isn't even up to par with last gen consoles, much less the real deal.

todahawk

Minecraft's stats page groups PC/Mac together at 20mil+. Google didn't turn up any Mac usages stats. Anyone know of any?

tim.mbp

I was excited to finally be able to run a non-java version on PC until I saw it's a pocket edition port. That seems pointless as any low end tablet Windows 10 can run on should be able to run at least 360/PS3 sized worlds.

Well, the theories of them abandoning the real version seem less likely as this one isn't even up to par with last gen consoles, much less the real deal.

PE has infinite world size since a few updates ago. I think only single core phones/tablets are limited to finite world size.

Trup1aya

Pocket Edition already has bigger worlds than the console version... And there intent is to make PE feature complete in comparison to the Java version...

Bsigg12

Pocket Edition has infinite worlds where as the console versions do not.

The new Windows 10 version is, for the moment, more tailored to people who are already within the PE ecosystem, whose kids already play it on their tablets and phones. Crossplay for that segment of the community is huge and shouldn't be understated; a lot of parents will be able to play with their kids easier now. If you're mostly playing LAN or within the house with your family, or even running just a small server (locally or on Realms) for immediate family and friends, then the Windows 10 version is going to be appealing to you. And for those who want that experience, that's awesome :)

As someone who primarily plays on the current PC version mainly in multiplayer and/or modded, the reasons for me to jump on this right now are much fewer and farther between. Other than perhaps moving to C++, the incentives aren't there. If they are able to bring it up to full parity with the Java version (and the community decides to bring their servers and mods up to support C++ as well), then a switch is perhaps more likely.

Right now, Pocket and Console Editions are not there yet, and hopefully the answer to that is not to bring the Windows 10/Pocket Edition into parity by adding in all the content currently available in the PC edition, but stripping out large multiplayer server support until they can get it figured out. Yes, I know Pocket Edition supports mods, too, but the modded Minecraft series that most kids are fans of aren't going to be recreateable experiences on PE because the mod library for PE is so much smaller right now in comparison.

In the worst case "doomsday" scenario (you know, the one people are worrying about in this thread), I'd imagine the PC community would continue to support the Java version until the Windows 10 version presents itself as a real equal to the current PC experience.

Now, if Microsoft wanted to REALLY play hardball, they could pull the ultimate heel move and just turn off the authentication servers for the PC version one day to try and force everyone onto the Windows 10 version ... but the blowback from that would be so huge that I think it'd cripple the game from a popularity standpoint. I can't see them doing that and I'm not worried that they'd attempt such a thing without Windows 10 version being at a true equal parity to PC edition because they'd be giving the big-name Let's Players/streamers on PC (who are in the majority, even with folks like Stampy who have made a living on the console edition) every incentive to walk away. Most play outside of straight vanilla now, and given the shift in what's popular in Minecraft on YouTube/Twitch currently, going back to straight vanilla isn't a good business choice since the market is flooded with so many straight vanilla LPs right now.

So, I guess a lot of the future of Minecraft depends upon how quickly Windows 10 version grows and advances and what decisions they make regarding support in the future. But I can't see them abandoning PC edition anytime soon, and if they choose to, the core of the PC community is probably not going to jump to Windows 10 version until there's a reason to.

Properly written C++ code works natively across all those platforms without any modifications. You can literally take a program written in C++ and simultaneously compile it for Windows, Mac, and Linux in a batch file.

The only reason the code would have portability problems is if they were weirdly aggressive about the use of DX12 features, or made some specific, concerted effort to sprinkle in a bunch of Windows-specific polymorphic keywords just to cripple it on other platforms. (Not that I'd necessarily put that past them...)

Truespeed

Properly written C++ code works natively across all those platforms without any modifications. You can literally take a program written in C++ and simultaneously compile it for Windows, Mac, and Linux in a batch file.

The only reason the code would have portability problems is if they were weirdly aggressive about the use of DX12 features, or made some specific, concerted effort to sprinkle in a bunch of Windows-specific polymorphic keywords just to cripple it on other platforms. (Not that I'd necessarily put that past them...)

Unless, of course, that C++ app starts using GUI frameworks or SDK libraries specific to that platform. The Java version doesn't need to concern itself with any of these things. But, the C++ version would probably need a DirectX version, an OpenGL/Vulkan version and perhaps even a Metal version. Not to mention all of the other small differences between these platforms such as how their file systems are handled.

In case people are wondering, here's the list of stuff coming to the next PE update, 0.12

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Minecraft+-+Pocket+Edition/feature.asp?c=66333

Code:
PC-style inventory
New controls
Controller support
Customisable interface
The Nether
Weather
Enchanting
Potions
New animations
New dungeon
Soundtrack
Commands
New mobs
New Blocks
New Items

Maybe Redstone too.
I wont be interested until they add Redstone. Critical to the game and so many creations.

Mengy

I wont be interested until they add Redstone. Critical to the game and so many creations.

Hell yeah, agreed 100%. I'll try out the PE/W10 version simply out of curiosity next month, but without redstone it's not Minecraft to me. Redstone designing is a game unto itself.

epmode

Indeed.

And these days, the most effective money-making strategy is controlling a vertically integrated platform with a closed marketplace. (See: Apple, Google)

That's why I'm fucking terrified of everything MS does in the PC space.

I'm right there with you. People say I'm crazy for being worried about Microsoft but they've done some really crazy stuff over the years. Turning Windows into a walled garden is at least plausible even if it's unlikely.

Mengy

I'm right there with you. People say I'm crazy for being worried about Microsoft but they've done some really crazy stuff over the years. Turning Windows into a walled garden is at least plausible even if it's unlikely.

It's what MS would like to do. They attempted it with the Xbox1 but the backlash was so intense that they changed their plans with lightning speed to save their launch, and even still it did some damage.

Microsoft is either playing a Trojan Horse game by giving away things like Windows 10 and W10 Minecraft (with the intent to eventually and gradually wall off) or they have possibly changed strategies and adopted a more consumer friendly attitude. I'm hoping for the latter but with their past history I fear the former. I'd be super happy if they proved my fears unfounded in time.

Elija2

Do we even know if it'll support mods? It's gonna be a Windows 10 app store app so who knows what kind of restrictions it'll have, plus mods would mess up crossplay (although they did recently announce that Fallout 4 on XBONE would support PC mods so maybe there's still hope).

SoulUnison

Banned
I was really hoping that, when Microsoft bought Mojang, they'd have started from scratch and moved Minecraft to an actual engine that had some degree of flexibility and future-proofing.

As long as Minecraft's on Java and is a resource hogging beasts that the devs seem to have to actively fight against to update, I'm not going to be interested anymore.

Everytime they want to add the simplest thing to the game they end up breaking half a hundred other things, and then they have to spend a whole dev cycle cleaning up what they've broken instead of advancing the game.

And what happened to all that built-in mod support that's been promised for literally years now?

Parsnip

10162, the most recent, is pretty great all around. Really starting to get close to a RTM build.

Coincidentally 10162 gaming performance has been shit for me. Could be completely unrelated of course, but I haven't been able to track the change down to anything else, so for now I'm blaming that build.

PensOwl

Banned
It's what MS would like to do. They attempted it with the Xbox1 but the backlash was so intense that they changed their plans with lightning speed to save their launch, and even still it did some damage.

What? All consoles are walled gardens.

Mengy

So, MS is being evil again, uh?

Eh, we aren't sure yet. As far as gaming news from Microsoft goes it's actually not terrible this time. They are making a new Windows 10 version that is C++ and DX11 and current PC owners of Minecraft are getting it for free, so even though it's a lesser version of the game feature wise it's decidedly not anti consumer for a change. Time will tell how it plays out of course. It could have been better, and some people are disappointed, but as far as evil MS tactics go, this honestly (so far) ain't one of them IMHO.

Tntnico

Disappointed that the game isn't crossplay with Xbox One. Maybe someday we will have a true Windows 10 version with all platforms : PC, Phones, Xbox and Hololens.

I assume that Pocket Edition need to have more features for now, because console edition are more advanced.

Ibuki

Banned
Has anyone been able to install the app for this yet? I am on Windows 10 (final version) and I keep getting an error.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Why haven't they made it cross-purchaseable with the Xbox One version? Or will they do that when it comes out of beta?

Top Bottom