• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The established caves are where you find enemy emmitters and treasure chests.

Hambone

Do you guys find big cave systems, which don't need to be digged by yourself?

Yes. I usually start with a self-made mine with a winding stair-case to the bottom. If I haven't hit a cave on my way down, I'll start branch mining hoping to hit a natural cave.

I love cracking an opening into a giant cave only to hear the moans and hisses of monsters within the blackness. That's when I gear up with armor, torches, and the best sword I can make, and head into the abyss to claim it as my own.

SoulFist

So how is everyone liking this version of Minecraft? Long time player on the PC version and am interested in picking it up for 360.

Pennybags

My cave system is such a mess, it's pretty much useless trying to fix it now haha. I know my way, but whenever people join my world and go down in the caves, they get lost and I have to go save them. Kinda wish I had the knowledge I have now when I started the game.

I popped into your world a week ago, but I are the idiot when it comes to contraptions I've never used in Minecraft. I couldn't open the door to some structure you had, and I think I accidentally knocked a minecart off the track.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I love some multiplayer Minecraft but I can't play split screen anything, honestly. I can't focus on what I'm doing with the smaller area, even on my 42" TV.

bengraven

Seriously can't wait for you guys to get the Adventure update. I can't say that enough.

I'll shut up now. ha

If water is poured onto a lava source block it turns to obsidian but if water is poured on a moving lava block it becomes cobble.

If lava is added to water I believe it makes cobble no matter what type of water block it is.

Another cool thing is finding a lava pool on the surface. If you pour water on that, since all blocks are considered source blocks, the entire pool turns to obsidian.

are you guys playing vertical or horizontal splitscreen?

GF and I have been playing vertical and it's been fine. granted it's on a 50" tv, but it helps with the menus since they're all more vertically oriented.

are you guys playing vertical or horizontal splitscreen?

GF and I have been playing vertical and it's been fine. granted it's on a 50" tv, but it helps with the menus since they're all more vertically oriented.
Vertical, I have a 46" TV but my wife makes me sit further away from it than I would like.

So I just tried playing offline split screen and the game won't let me. I signed in with a second profile, nothing. I heard about the HD TV thing and i am playing the game on an hd tv with component cables but then I realized I have an old ass Xbox that doesn't have HDMI. What now?

Edit: nevemind, I'm a moron. Figured it out.

I popped into your world a week ago, but I are the idiot when it comes to contraptions I've never used in Minecraft. I couldn't open the door to some structure you had, and I think I accidentally knocked a minecart off the track.

Oh yeah those doors had a switch that would like to stop working some times so I just replaced them with wooden doors.

Fox Mulder

woo, finally figured out how to get the red stone circuit stuff to work with a trap door at my front door. It took some figuring out to bury the circuitry so it looks clean and hidden.

Next time there's zombies at my front door, they're getting dumped into a lava pit.

DarkCloud

This game has got some interesting glitches that I hope get resolved when they roll out the 1.7 update.

I'm currently cowering on a spike of dirt atm thanks to the game throwing invisible mobs at me nonstop for like 3 minutes. Was outside flattening out my landscape when my guy started grunting like he was in lava. Not knowing what was up i ran around for a bit until i got the point that it wasn't going to stop so i ran for my entrance to make my drops easier to collect. after respawning i ran to my dropped tools and immediately started taking damage again. Repeat for a few minutes as I'm now trapped in my house with holes appearing everywhere I desperately start building under me to get away. Upon saving and restarting the game i find that it's night time and the game had glitched to think it was day before hand and now my home is almost all gone from creeper blasts...also took out my chests as well. Hoping that there's more to salvage than I fear.

Between this and the no damage from mobs if they aren't at a certain distance I'm hoping for a patch fairly soon.

Marvie_3

Banned
My friend and I always carry a crafting table with when we go exploring/mining. As we collect cobblestone, we use the table to turn it into stairs which helps make a path to the exit. Works pretty well.

defel

Why does the water have to suck so much in this game? I want to make a moat but it doesn't flood an area properly.

Say, for example, you want to flood a 10x3x5 moat the best way would be to make the moat 1 block deep and flood the area with water source blocks and then dig away the floor underneath it.

Another useful tip is to make an infinite water source. Make a 2x2 hole in the ground and place a water source in opposite corners of the hole. This will create an infinite spring in the ground.

The water mechanics are strange but its just a matter of learning them

Linius

Anyone played the Gargamel seed yet? According to this video it seems pretty awesome. Great mountains and other great stuff from mother nature.

FyreWulff

Also, if you want to just use the Facebook screenshot functionality without bothering anyone on your Facebook friends list:

Account Settings -> Apps

eULIG.png

Wiggum2007

Picked this up yesterday. Spent the better part of yesterday building a swag penthouse stretching between two mountain chasms, with giant glass walls to watch the sun set and rise. A ladder climbs up a rock spire to my bird's nest bedroom above the clouds with an awesome 360 degree view of the map.

The one annoying thing was hiking down the mountain to get to my mine so I created a glass-floored room with a trapdoor that drops me right down into the lake below.

Too bad I don't have Gold to take screens.

Seanspeed

Banned
I need to start doing stuff like this! The underground of my world is just insane with randomly carved out bits and torches just played anywhere. Which is a bit odd considering how OCD I really am and this game does NOT help with that!
Signs could be pretty useful, too.

Do you guys find big cave systems, which don't need to be digged by yourself? My mine started at one small cave and is almost complete selfmade.
Both. Sometimes, I've just dug down and mined what I found. Sometimes, I'll just wander on to a mine and explore that one.

The established caves are where you find enemy emmitters and treasure chests.
Ok yea, I came across an enemy emitter for the first time yesterday. What on earth do I do about it? Can I destroy it? I was just getting killed by everything while trying to hack away at it, so I had to book it out of there.

Hambone

Anyone played the Gargamel seed yet? According to this video it seems pretty awesome. Great mountains and other great stuff from mother nature.

I think there are one, or two people using Gargamel.

So, I scored big time with a nice cavern filled with lava lakes. I now have so much obsidian waiting to be mined I don't know what to do with it. I'm sure I'll start with some Nether portals, maybe use the rest to build an obsidian tower.

Vlad

Signs could be pretty useful, too.

Both. Sometimes, I've just dug down and mined what I found. Sometimes, I'll just wander on to a mine and explore that one.

Ok yea, I came across an enemy emitter for the first time yesterday. What on earth do I do about it? Can I destroy it? I was just getting killed by everything while trying to hack away at it, so I had to book it out of there.

You have to use a pickaxe be able to destroy the spawner quickly.. You can also disable it by sticking enough torches in the room to completely light it up.

Salaadin

You have to use a pickaxe be able to destroy the spawner quickly.. You can also disable it by sticking enough torches in the room to completely light it up.

I recommend using the torches to disable it. You never want to get rid of them unless theyre really in your way.

Later on, you might want to build a mob trap around it for farming drops.

ckohler

I haven't been putting nearly as much time into this game as everyone else. I've just had too many other things going on (and I was tired last night). However, I did some spelunking last night to find diamond and so far... zip.

It's really strange because diamond wasn't this hard to find in my Mac world. I did a rather large bit of strip mining also. Zero diamond. Makes me wonder if the fixed game world has altered the frequency of diamond.

Once I amase enough cobblestone and wood, I'm building my mob grinder. :)

FrankT

Yea I used Gargamel based on some talk here. No shortage of lava and crazy great mining here. Nephew has been playing the PC version for some time and we played some coop this weekend and he said he never seen anything like it heh.

Hambone

I haven't been putting nearly as much time into this game as everyone else. I've just had too many other things going on (and I was tired last night). However, I did some spelunking last night to find diamond and so far... zip.

It's really strange because diamond wasn't this hard to find in my Mac world. I did a rather large bit of strip mining also. Zero diamond. Makes me wonder if the fixed game world has altered the frequency of diamond.

Once I amase enough cobblestone and wood, I'm building my mob grinder. :)

I wish we could carry our characters to other players games as I would gladly trade you some diamonds for some gold. There is a severe gold famine going on in my game. All a brotha wants to do is build a powered rail system.

ZeroCoin

Absolutely loving this game. Just finished building a bridge to a nearby island from my starting area. Once I find enough iron I'll be putting a minecart track on it to speed travel up. My biggest problem right now is finding iron or better materials. I've probably only found around 30 pieces of iron total. What do you guys recommend? Keep digging down until you hit bedrock or move to another area?

Absolutely loving this game. Just finished building a bridge to a nearby island from my starting area. Once I find enough iron I'll be putting a minecart track on it to speed travel up. My biggest problem right now is finding iron or better materials. I've probably only found around 30 pieces of iron total. What do you guys recommend? Keep digging down until you hit bedrock or move to another area?

They seem to be found in patches of 5 or six blocks, and I haven't found any particular pattern to their distribution.

I just dug a big ass mine and hoped for the best.

So... I take it not all of the seeds are purely randomly generated? I mean what are the odds of 'diamond' having a shit load of 'diamonds'?

So... I take it not all of the seeds are purely randomly generated? I mean what are the odds of 'diamond' having a shit load of 'diamonds'?
No, they all are. IIRC they're put into a hashing algorithm to convert the string into a number to be put into the RNG as the seed (unless the string WAS a number, in which case that's used verbatim).

Diamond leading to diamonds? Coincidence. Nothing more.

jdub03

new to minecraft. Is the nether world only good for glowstone? What resources are available there that aren't in the normal world.

Thank you. I thought I was the only member of GAF that gets mothered by his wife.

See? She just told me I'm slouching too much at my chair. lol
No we're probably just the only two who will admit it, haha.

No, they all are. IIRC they're put into a hashing algorithm to convert the string into a number to be put into the RNG as the seed (unless the string WAS a number, in which case that's used verbatim).

Diamond leading to diamonds? Coincidence. Nothing more.
Hmmmmmmm

Marvie_3

Banned
Say, for example, you want to flood a 10x3x5 moat the best way would be to make the moat 1 block deep and flood the area with water source blocks and then dig away the floor underneath it.

Another useful tip is to make an infinite water source. Make a 2x2 hole in the ground and place a water source in opposite corners of the hole. This will create an infinite spring in the ground.

The water mechanics are strange but its just a matter of learning them

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Vlad

new to minecraft. Is the nether world only good for glowstone? What resources are available there that aren't in the normal world.

At the moment, just Netherrack Glowstone,and Soul Sand. You'll get more eventually if they keep adding stuff from the PC version, though. Most importantly
large fortresses that not only are built out of new materials, but are the only way to find two of the ingredients necessary for brewing potions.

jdub03

At the moment, just Netherrack Glowstone,and Soul Sand. You'll get more eventually if they keep adding stuff from the PC version, though. Most importantly
large fortresses that not only are built out of new materials, but are the only way to find two of the ingredients necessary for brewing potions.

Oh okay thanks. I'll be looking out for that. I haven't really explored it fully yet.

Noaloha

I always tended not to just dig down when I wanted to go mining. Make a compass or map so that you can find your way back again and then just go for a stroll. Natural caves that begin with a hole in the ground are good. If you stumble across a ravine, a huge great tear in the earth, that's the bestest of the best. Ideally, a ravine will be intersected somewhere with an abandoned mineshaft and you'll find a ton of pre-laid rail, treasure chests, yummy mosscobble and wooden fence to pick up alongside the usual pickings. That said, I'm going off the PC version, though I assume the above is still in the Xbox version.

On the console, if you make brick steps and then break them do you get a funky mossy brick?

Hey, quick question. I play on the PC version but I was wondering if anyone knew of the technical specs of the XBLA version. Does it run in 1080p and/or 60 fps? I would think that the Xbox 360 would be able to achieve that with ease since Minecraft is so visually simple. After all, Gears of War 3 runs at 720p and 30 fps and is comparatively much more demanding. Or, did they reduce it to allow for 4 player split screen?

Hey, quick question. I play on the PC version but I was wondering if anyone knew of the technical specs of the XBLA version. Does it run in 1080p and/or 60 fps? I would think that the Xbox 360 would be able to achieve that with ease since Minecraft is so visually simple. After all, Gears of War 3 runs at 720p and 30 fps and is comparatively much more demanding. Or, did they reduce it to allow for 4 player split screen?

720p, 60FPS locked.

And Minecraft is a lot more demanding than you might think.

Top Bottom