• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

gar3

Played last night with a friend on Live and the update was there for both of us. Go check it out if you haven't yet.

Shoogoo

Update? Pistons? I'll have to check that out.

What is everyone doing in this game btw? I know there is no real goal, but I didn't find any route I could take to keep playing this game.

Has anyone found a reliable method for duplicating items since the update? I've tried a few tutorials from youtube but I've only managed to destroy the item I'm trying to duplicate. We've only found 3 or 4 slimes so far so it'd be really nice to be able to dupe that rarity.. anywho.

In positive news, the 40+ skin pack DLC should be dropping today for the price of 160msp, yay!

Full list of skins:
1. Creeper
2. SquidMan
3. Zombie
4. Herobrine
5. Jack of Blades, Fable Heroes
6. Hero, Fable Heroes
7. Garth, Fable Heroes
8. Reaver, Fable Heroes
9. Hammer, Fable Heroes
10. Locust Drone, Gears of War
11. Clayton Carmine, Gears of War
12. Cole, The Cole Train, Gears of War
13. Master Chief, Halo
14. Covenant Grunt, Halo
15. Covenant Brute, Halo
16. Banjo, Banjo-Kazooie
17. Grunty, Banjo-Kazooie
18. Bottles the Mole, Banjo-Kazooie
19. Tooty, Banjo-Kazooie
20. Mumbo Jumbo, Banjo-Kazooie
21. Klungo, Banjo-Kazooie
22. Trials man, Trials HD
23. Freestyle, Trials Evolution
24. Old-School, Trials Evolution
25. Biker, Trials Evolution
26. Combat, Trials Evolution
27. ‘Splosion Man, ‘Splosion Man
28. Scientist Wilson, ‘Splosion Man
29. Scientist Danklef, ‘Splosion Man
30. Ms. ‘Splosion Man, Ms. ‘Splosion Man
31. Mandy Elite, Ms. ‘Splosion Man
32. Racing Driver 1
33. Racing Driver 2
34. Racing Driver 3
35. Racing Driver 4
36. Nurse
37. Prisoner
38. Victorian Swimmer
39. Deep Sea Diver
40. King
41. Queen
42. Jester
43. Knight Templar
44. Black Knight
45. Wizard
from www.xblafans.com

Edit: It's up now, under DLC at the main menu. They also let you d/l a trial version of the skins so you can see what all you'll be getting, as well as try out a select number(which I bolded in the above list). Gotta say I'm digging some of them, especially the Creeper skin. I've got plans for that one lols.

Update? Pistons? I'll have to check that out.

What is everyone doing in this game btw? I know there is no real goal, but I didn't find any route I could take to keep playing this game.

Now that pistons are in I've started learning about redstone circuits. Pretty neat stuff, you should look up some tutorials or the wiki.

Oh and go in the tutorial level and check out the self building bridge they added to the castle.. jackiechanheadfulloffuck.gif

Fox Mulder

Has anyone found a reliable method for duplicating items since the update? I've tried a few tutorials from youtube but I've only managed to destroy the item I'm trying to duplicate. We've only found 3 or 4 slimes so far so it'd be really nice to be able to dupe that rarity.. anywho.

In positive news, the 40+ skin pack DLC should be dropping today for the price of 160msp, yay!

Full list of skins:

from www.xblafans.com

Edit: It's up now, under DLC at the main menu. They also let you d/l a trial version of the skins so you can see what all you'll be getting, as well as try out a select number(which I bolded in the above list). Gotta say I'm digging some of them, especially the Creeper skin. I've got plans for that one lols.

banjo kazooie skins?

quit playing games with my heart MS

160MSP was a no brainer for all those skins. It helps that I enjoy Halo, Gears, Trials and Banjo & Kazooie though :p

Any tips for finding slimes? Normal pistons are fun but I find sticky ones easier to work with.

I've heard a couple different ways of getting slimes. One friend says to carve a 3x3 tunnel for as long as you like. Another says to carve out a large cavern. Either way you try make sure it's well lit so no other monsters will spawn, only slimes, and it needs to be at bedrock level. Good luck :)

Vlad

I've heard a couple different ways of getting slimes. One friend says to carve a 3x3 tunnel for as long as you like. Another says to carve out a large cavern. Either way you try make sure it's well lit so no other monsters will spawn, only slimes, and it needs to be at bedrock level. Good luck :)

<insert the usual "this is how it works on the PC version" preface here>

Unlike other creatures/animals, slimes will only spawn in certain areas. They will spawn in the light and only really deep, so indeed, it is best carve out a large room and light it up once you find where they spawn.

The nice thing is that once you find a slime-prone area, you'll be able to gather slimeballs pretty quickly. I had to abandon an underground base once since it kept getting overrun

This is literally what my bro and I do. Interesting though. Will keep those tips in mind. Cheers.

Gorki247

<insert the usual "this is how it works on the PC version" preface here>

Unlike other creatures/animals, slimes will only spawn in certain areas. They will spawn in the light and only really deep, so indeed, it is best carve out a large room and light it up once you find where they spawn.

The nice thing is that once you find a slime-prone area, you'll be able to gather slimeballs pretty quickly. I had to abandon an underground base once since it kept getting overrun

Correct, it works the same as on the PC. Create a 50x50, 3 high room 5 above bedrock in a slime-prone area and you should have a steady supply of slimeballs.

You could use a slime-finder - http://extension.ws/minecraft/slimes.html - to find a slime-prone area near your home. The coordinates can be found on your map.

Seanspeed

Banned
Now that pistons are in I've started learning about redstone circuits. Pretty neat stuff, you should look up some tutorials or the wiki.
Everything is so unintuitive with redstone, though. And since I cant find slimes, I'm stick with just regular pistons. I tried some stuff out yesterday, but I found everything pretty unexciting.

Vlad

Everything is so unintuitive with redstone, though. And since I cant find slimes, I'm stick with just regular pistons. I tried some stuff out yesterday, but I found everything pretty unexciting.

Unintuitive how? I mean, it can be a little weird at first, but it's basically just "connect item that generates redstone signal (button/lever/pressure plate) to thing that does something when redstone's applied (door/piston/note block/etc)". It's a little weird at first, but I'd hardly call it unintuitive.

Woorloog

Banned
Dug a large hole with my friend. 5x5x64 or so, started a bit above waterline.
3x3x3 pool of water at bottom for safe landings.
Next project: A spiraling railroad to up. Will make transfering ores to top easier, if not any faster really.
It is kinda fun to just mine stuff. Even better if the project includes equipping the mine with railroads and decorating it.

Woorloog

Banned
Dug a large hole with my friend. 5x5x64 or so, started a bit above waterline.
3x3x3 pool of water at bottom for safe landings.
Next project: A spiraling railroad to up. Will make transfering ores to top easier, if not any faster really.
It is kinda fun to just mine stuff. Even better if the project includes equipping the mine with railroads and decorating it.

Continuing the project. The hole is actually 75 blocks deep.
The spiral railroad is ready, 140 meters/blocks in length total. Just need some more gold for powered rails. Once finished, all one has to do is to set a minecart on the either end and press a button and the cart will speed up or down (depending where one starts). Sending the cart down is kinda pointless, since jumping down to landing pool is way faster. Of course jumping down risks hitting the spiral...
Too bad i can't take any pics... it ain't much to look at but that's not the point.
Later on we'll probably modify it to go to a specific level instead of all the way up or down but since the bottom of the mineshaft has all the good stuff anyway, it is not that big deal.

Good haul today, 12 diamonds, 30ish gold, a couple of stacks of lapis lazuli. Also, a large cave. Not much there though.

Need to make something from pistons...

Fox Mulder

Unintuitive how? I mean, it can be a little weird at first, but it's basically just "connect item that generates redstone signal (button/lever/pressure plate) to thing that does something when redstone's applied (door/piston/note block/etc)". It's a little weird at first, but I'd hardly call it unintuitive.

It takes getting used to, like the water rules.

Burying the red stone circuits so they're out of sight took me some time to get a hang of.

Oh snap, my friend's bf showed me how to do a dup glitch earlier today. It's hit and miss but well worth it if you're into that sort of thing.

youtube link

That's pretty much how I do it, though I've never stood on top of it and it works just fine. Finally able to make a ton of sticky pistons :D

STG

Oh snap, my friend's bf showed me how to do a dup glitch earlier today. It's hit and miss but well worth it if you're into that sort of thing.

youtube link

That's pretty much how I do it, though I've never stood on top of it and it works just fine. Finally able to make a ton of sticky pistons :D

care to quickly explain how? I can not watch youtube at the moment :(

You'll need a pick, a few furnaces(though maybe more than a few if you're unlucky), and whatever item you want to duplicate. Oh and a flint+steel to destroy the duplicated item once you're done.

Now before you start, make sure you have an empty slot next to your pick, as you'll need to quickly switch from pick to fist.

1. place furnace
2. place desired dup item in the ingredient slot
3. youtube says to jump on top of the furnace, though I had no luck with that - I stand just shy of a block away from the furnace
4. begin hitting the furnace with your pick
5. once the furnace is nearly completely covered in cracks(ie right before the black pixels begin covering the edge of the furnace) quickly swap to an empty hand, it should take another 1~2 seconds of hitting the furnace to break it
6. if done correctly your furnace will disappear and reappear
7. open the furnace and press and hold 'a' on the ingredient until the furnace disappears
8. a. you are left with nothing, retry
b. you are left with the item you tried to duplicate, and only the furnace is lost, retry
c. you have the item you put in in your inventory and there is an item on the ground
9. toss away the item or put it in a box, and pick up the glitched/duped item
10. press 'a' on the item and hold 'x' on an inventory slot
11. continue placing items in your inventory/box until you have enough
12. toss the duped item(you'll have to select it in your inventory and throw the entire stack) and light it on fire with flint+steel

I should warn you though, you'll probably run through an ass of cobblestone making furnaces. I've had this work 3 times in a row and miss 10 times in a row.. it's not an exact science.

STG

A new Patch is out by today, this time "only" Bugfixes

Changelog:
  • - Fix for a crash with pistons at the edge of the world
  • - Fix for a crash due to a thread safety issue usually caused by pistons
  • - Fix for issue with operating pistons on chunk boundaries
  • - Fix for a rendering flicker with active pistons
  • - Fix for rendering slowdown due to lighting issues
  • - Fix for rain going through blocks (raining indoors)
  • - Fix for Marketplace not launching when unlocking skin pack after selecting a locked skin in the trial version of the skin pack
  • - Fix for bug allowing locked skins to be selected if they are beside a free skin
  • - Fix for misaligned player scores when viewed under the "My Score" leaderboard filter
  • - Fix for the constant button press sounds when rotating a character in the skin select screen
  • - Fix for the constant sound effect played on the sign text entry
  • - Fix for thunder not being audible
  • - Fix for third person front view not displaying fire.

Seanspeed

Banned
Update should be coming within the next 2 weeks at most. Certification apparently due to be happening early this week.

Not sure if many people are still playing, but I've been on a kick lately. I've been messing more with redstone stuff, but still find its difficult to work with. You've really got to plan ahead of time and have plenty of space if you want to make everything hidden and look nice. I'm getting better at it, though. Right now, I'm basically just experimenting with building certain types of things. Once this update comes out, I'm starting a new world since there's sooooo much stuff being added.

Fox Mulder

Update should be coming within the next 2 weeks at most. Certification apparently due to be happening early this week.

Not sure if many people are still playing, but I've been on a kick lately. I've been messing more with redstone stuff, but still find its difficult to work with. You've really got to plan ahead of time and have plenty of space if you want to make everything hidden and look nice. I'm getting better at it, though. Right now, I'm basically just experimenting with building certain types of things. Once this update comes out, I'm starting a new world since there's sooooo much stuff being added.

I've been waiting for a few updates to play again. It's a real bummer how you have to start a new world to benefit from any of the updates.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been waiting for a few updates to play again. It's a real bummer how you have to start a new world to benefit from any of the updates.

Well this one is the big one that would really warrant needing a new world. With previous updates, you'd really only need to start a new world if the one you had was from the original release and you happened to get one of the seeds that didn't have a lot of clay. Which happened with me, but I kept on anyway. I wasn't too worried about that one resource all that much. The rest of the updates were mainly other bug fixes, interface updates and extra crafting recipes and stuff, none of which required a new world.

This new update, however, is a game-changer and has lots of world generation additions, giving a lot of new reasons to start a new world:

- NPC Villages
- Stongholds
- Abandoned Mineshafts
- Ravines
- Swamp Biome
- Ocean Biome
- Mountain Biome
- Rivers
- Superflat world option

And just for reference, in case anybody else is reading, here's the list of other noteable additions/changes:

- Creative Mode!!!!!!!!
- Hunger
- Music Discs
- Updated combat including drawing your bow, parrying with the sword and critical hits
- Sprint!
- New enemies - Endermen, Silverfish, Cave Spiders
- New food items - Apples, Chicken(cookable), Beef(cookable), Melons, Rotten Flesh
- Melon and Pumpkin farming
- Fence gates
- Iron bars
- Glass panes
- Stone Brick, stairs and slabs
- Cracked stone brick
- Brick stairs and slabs
- Vines
- Player-placed leaf blocks dont decay
- Various other minor changes

Lots of good stuff. Getting pretty close to the PC version with the features at least. Still wish the world was a bit bigger, though....

Ranger X

This update really makes the game close to the PC version, at least in its basic gameplay. This will give me back some interest into the Xbox version.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive update list.
Shame they can't add tekkit to it, lol. Tekkit makes Minecraft a lot more fun imo.

Vlad

I looked up this tekkit stuff earlier. Makes me feel like a caveman with what I'm doing in my game. Way too complicated, honestly.

In case you're not aware, Tekkit is actually a compilation of several other standalone mods, so it's going to be pretty complicated. Each individual mod by itself, while they can be complicated, they're a lot easier to mentally digest than all of them at once.

Seanspeed

Banned
In case you're not aware, Tekkit is actually a compilation of several other standalone mods, so it's going to be pretty complicated. Each individual mod by itself, while they can be complicated, they're a lot easier to mentally digest than all of them at once.

I mean, I dont mind if they add it to the game. I just know that I'd rather them work on other, more simplistic, non-nuclear physics stuff, instead. Ya know - stuff I can actually do on my own in a realistic time period.

Vlad

I mean, I dont mind if they add it to the game. I just know that I'd rather them work on other, more simplistic, non-nuclear physics stuff, instead. Ya know - stuff I can actually do on my own in a realistic time period.

I completely agree with you (that's actually been discussed a bit recently in the thread for the PC version), I was just clarifying in case you thought it was a single mod.

Seanspeed

Banned
I completely agree with you (that's actually been discussed a bit recently in the thread for the PC version), I was just clarifying in case you thought it was a single mod.

Yea, I know that a lot of them are seperate mods, a lot of them are made to work with each other to convert energy sources and whatnot, but that just makes it all even more complicated.

Cool shit, but not something that your average player would ever really be able to get into. If development time and resources weren't an issue, I'd be all for it.

Complete update list including fixes.

Additions:
- Added Creative Mode.
- Disabled Achievements and Leaderboard updates if the player is in Creative Mode, or if the world has been previously saved in Creative Mode.
- Added a simple tutorial for Creative Mode.
- Added sprinting to Survival Mode.
- Added flying and sprint-flying to Creative Mode.
- Added new mobs &#8211; Enderman, Cave Spiders, and Silverfish
- Added new items to the game &#8211; Melon, Melon Slice, Melon Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Raw/Cooked Beef, Raw/Cooked Chicken, Rotten Flesh, Pumpkin Seeds, Iron Bars, Fence Gate, Stone Bricks, Stone Brick Slabs, Stone Brick Stairs, Brick Slabs, Brick Stairs, Ender Pearl, Web,Vines, 10 more Music Discs, Sponge, and Chain Armor.
- Added new items to the crafting menu &#8211; Melon, Melon Seeds, Glass Pane, Fence Gate, Iron Bars, Stone Bricks, Stone Brick Slabs, Stone Brick Stairs, Brick Slabs, Brick Stairs.
- Added terrain generation features &#8211; Strongholds, Villages, Abandoned Mineshafts and Ravines.
- Biome code additions, including rivers and oceans.
- Changed the bow to have drawing and firing action.
- Added a quick move to the dispenser.
- Added a quick equip for armor to the inventory interface.
- Added a quick move for ingredients and fuel in the furnace interface.
- Brought forward the mining speed changes from 1.2.3
- Brought forward apples dropping from leaf blocks from 1.1
- Brought forward change from 1.2.3 to make pumpkins and melons grow from stems much faster, and not require farmland around the stem to grow on.
- Fix to vines brought forward from 1.2.3 to stop them spreading too much.
- Added the Food Bar to the HUD.
- Added stacking for food items.
- Added the eating animation.
- Enabled crafting mushroom stew without a crafting table.
- Added the blocking move with swords.
- Changed all the text descriptions for food to show how much they refill the food bar.
- Passive mobs will now flee when hit.
- The snout on pigs now protrude from their head.
- Skeletons now hold full size bows.
- Animals no longer despawn which makes it possible to capture them.
- Zombies now drop Rotten Flesh instead of Feathers.
- Updated some mob sounds.
- Shears can now collect Tall Grass and the new Vine.
- Improved sunrise and sunset.
- Improved the rain edges (when looking up in rain).
- User-placed leaf blocks no longer decay.
- Cloud height raised to the top of the map, so clouds can no longer phase through blocks.
- Cloud movement syncs with the game&#8217;s time.
- Both Wooden and Stone pressure plates can now be placed on fences.
- Improved chest model with a 3D lock, and opening and closing animation.
- Added a countdown timer to the autosave to stop it being such a surprise.
- Added the ability to rename an existing saved world.
- Added map icons to the in-game player list to match their color in the map.
- Added a confirmation dialog on the player choosing to exit without saving.
- Added a character display when sprinting or flying.
- Updated the How To Play HUD with the Food Bar information.
- Added descriptions for Creative Mode and Sprinting to the How To Play menus.
- Updated the Download Content menu with pictures of the DLC available.
-Added death messages
- Removed Herobrine.

Options Changes and Additions:
- Changed the Gamertags Display option to mean display/hide gamertags in-game and on maps.
- Added an option to select Creative Mode or Survival Mode on creating or loading a world.
- Added an option to disable clouds.
- Added additional options to the world creation &#8211; Superflat land (creates a flat world near bedrock in both the Overworld and the Nether), enable/disable Structures and Bonus Chest.
- Added Host options &#8211; toggles for Player Versus Player, Trust Players to stop players being able to mine without permission from the Host, Fire Spread, TNT Explodes, and Host Privileges.
- Added in-game player options for the host &#8211; Can Build and Mine, Moderator, Kick Player, Can Fly, Disable Exhaustion, Invisible.
- Store the Online, Invite Only, and Friends of Friends options in the player&#8217;s profile.

Tutorial World Changes:
- Changed the Tutorial world to enable the new terrain features in it.
- Added mini tutorial for sprinting in the Tutorial world.
- Added mini tutorial for eating in the Tutorial world.
- Added Music Disc Quests in the Tutorial world &#8211; players can search the world for the 12 chests, each containing one of the Music Discs that can be played in a Jukebox.

Fixes:
- Fix for duplication glitch.
- Fix for aspect ratio of things in hand when in splitscreen mode.
- Fix for issue with player data not saving (player starting world with no items they had when they saved).
- Fix for redstone tiles burning out when they shouldn&#8217;t.
- Fixed issue with Minecart with Furnace not being able to move another Minecart.
- Fixed particle code for flipped 3rd person view.

Update was submitted to certification yesterday, so hopefully it'll come soon!

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice that they've moved the clouds higher. I built a fortress way up high, but its annoying when clouds start rolling through. I cant work on anything when its doing that and it just looks bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's so many great changes coming but I have so much stuff in my current world and don't want to start over. :lol
I'm looking forward to starting new with a somewhat decent idea of what I'm doing now. Everything I did in my current world is very 'rough'. It was fun learning about everything and being somewhat clueless and I'll always keep my current world around, but it'll be nice starting out with different goals in mind and lots of new things added to keep it fresh.

Itching for the update now, though.

Top Bottom