• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miner Dig Deep Official Thread of Tink, Tink, Tink

Gowans

xboxboxart.jpg

This game was classified by the community with the following category scores - Violence=1/3, Sex=0/3, Mature Content=0/3. Dig and expand your mine to find greater treasures from the depths. Build the deepest mine so you can make your fortune in rare gems and metals from the earth below.
Download Trial

Price 200points

XNARoundup Video Handson

screen1_Web.jpg
screen2_Web.jpg
screen3_Web.jpg
screen4_Web.jpg

From the create a Ad thread
SickBoy said:

This game has been recommended a lot in the community games thread and its the only one of the most recommended not to have a thread.

It's so simple but I've been playing it for hours now and about to start a new game now I've learnt some lessons with equipment, how to best use my resources and avoid cave ins.

The game really is a big grind but I find it a lot of fun and perfect to play when listening to a podcast. The art is nice, simple and cute the controls are simple but solid.

As I said I've made a few mistakes as I have gotten deeper and deeper, my mine now a total farse and I don't even think I'm that far into it so I'm just about to fire up a new game now and waste nothing.

So who else has been playing, any tips, how do you find it?

Gowans

Sleeker said:
Well I want to play it, but I cant find it.
Is it only available in the U.S?

Community Games are available only in US, Canada, UK, France, Italy & Spain I think tho there are workarounds by creating other accounts tho its a arse on.

Also I think I've made a huge mistake with my new mine already by hollowing out massive areas hmm.

Slavik81

I love the different stages of gameplay as you slowly progress through the different tools.

My favourite section was probably elevator mining. Not that there's any section officially called that or that it ever tells you what you're supposed to do, but at a certain point it just makes sense.

Amazing game. Not terribly original, but still amazing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
In MMORPGs, I always select Mining as my gathering skill. There's something relaxing about mining games in general.

Gowans

my second tacic has been a failure :(

The plan was a lift shaft down the middle & big cave like excivations down the sides, well it's cave in central now. Still hvnt been happy beforecim down to breaking the ice barrier. Gona start again next time I have a few hours to chill & listen to a podcast or somthing.

Loved it when it first came out. Unfortunately once I hit a bit past 1km down, the game turned into stalemate - probably 10 consecutive trips where I managed to die with a full backpack - because of the bad things that happen when you pause the game (eg: try pausing while using an elevator.)

If the bugs ever get fixed I may try to give it a shot again.

Gowans

I got a lot deeper this time round the 450 mark but man now I'm getting more items and getting even more annoyed when I loose them.

Love the drill tho.

VALIS

Gowans007 said:
my second tacic has been a failure :(

The plan was a lift shaft down the middle & big cave like excivations down the sides, well it's cave in central now. Still hvnt been happy beforecim down to breaking the ice barrier. Gona start again next time I have a few hours to chill & listen to a podcast or somthing.

That's the way it goes when you first start playing. You usually stop and start a second and third game because you've come up with better strategies. At first I was digging very elaborate paths using almost every inch of real estate.. and having lots of cave-ins because of it. A lot of work for little money. A much better strategy from the beginning is
just get enough money to drop elevator shafts, dig veins outward from both sides of your vein every 5 or 6 "spaces" downward, and just keep mining solely to get deeper. The mineral values increase dramatically the deeper you go. One haul at say 300 depth will give you roughly the same value as 15 hauls near the surface. Don't waste your time up there.

NG28

I bought this the other day with the leftover points I had, and I'm happy I did. I wish I didn't buy the upgraded axe, as it cuts through dirt in one hit, and I've accidentally messed up my planned out paths because of it.

Flyguy

Did you have someone proofread your post before you posted? It's remarkably devoid of your usual errors. Granted there still are a couple, but it's much easier on the eyes than your normal fare.

SickBoy

Posted by request from the GAF Collection thread (I think it looks better in higher-res... but I sized it down to fit that thread.)

2cgc4fr.jpg

Slavik81

Crazymoogle said:
Loved it when it first came out. Unfortunately once I hit a bit past 1km down, the game turned into stalemate - probably 10 consecutive trips where I managed to die with a full backpack - because of the bad things that happen when you pause the game (eg: try pausing while using an elevator.)

If the bugs ever get fixed I may try to give it a shot again.
Really? I never once encountered a single bug, despite going through about 8 hours of it.
I guess whether or not you encounter them depends on your play style.

BlueTsunami said:
The youtube comments reminded me of a flash mining game a played a while back. Awesome game, if you stick with it.

Motherload: http://www.miniclip.com/games/motherload/en/
Ah, I remember playing Motherload long ago. I didn't really like their execution of it.

I'm reasonably confident the concept's a lot older than that, though. DigDug spawned quite a few of these.

Just finished this game last night... pretty solid by Community Games standards, and it's a great game to play while listening to podcasts. I think I liked Motherload better, though -- Miner Dig Deep could have used a new game mechanic or two to provide more variety, or maybe just slightly faster pacing. There were a couple times that I had to cash in several full loads before I could buy a new upgrade, and trudging all the way back to the bottom with no new gear was a bit of a turnoff.

Still, it's a great time-waster and for $2, a pretty good bargain.

Slavik81 said:
Really? I never once encountered a single bug, despite going through about 8 hours of it.
I guess whether or not you encounter them depends on your play style.
I hit the "pausing in an elevator" bug a couple times too. And I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but if you ride an elevator down too fast while it's digging, a rock can get pushed up through the bottom of the elevator and crush you.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is there no way of getting the the bottom of your mine faster than elevators at all? Spending all that time to get to the bottom is just boring after the third or fourth time.

Flunkie

Banned
Yes yes yes yes yes! This game is amazing. As stated above, it is the perfect games while listening to podcasts.

rohlfinator said:
I hit the "pausing in an elevator" bug a couple times too. And I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but if you ride an elevator down too fast while it's digging, a rock can get pushed up through the bottom of the elevator and crush you.

I've actually never run into it going down, it's always going back up. Drilling can definitely kill you if you ride close, but really, just try going up on the elevator, pause the game, and then unpause. Watch as you fall to your death. Rinse and repeat whenever you forget.

Maybe it's been fixed in some recent build though.

Ikuu: Going down is only as fast as the elevators, which is why it pays to place your elevators close to each other to streamline the process - eventually the long elevator becomes dirt cheap compared to the money you earn. Of course, after awhile even the elevators won't help. I also recommend trying to collapse part of the floor near the cave entrance; it's possible to get the elevator to come up really close to the entrance if you do some legwork.

Sleeker

Gowans007 said:
Community Games are available only in US, Canada, UK, France, Italy & Spain I think tho there are workarounds by creating other accounts tho its a arse on.

Also I think I've made a huge mistake with my new mine already by hollowing out massive areas hmm.

So if I create an American account, I can download miner dig deep?

Ikuu

I did redo my elevators, but going down to 1000 depth still takes 10 elevators and it takes ages.

Brakara

Sleeker said:
So if I create an American account, I can download miner dig deep?

Yeah, you can download the trial then, but you need to load that account with US Microsoft Points in order to be able to buy it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What does it mean when the earth starts to shake? Should I stop digging in that spot? Keep doing so for somebackwords reason :lol?

Drkirby said:
What does it mean when the earth starts to shake? Should I stop digging in that spot? Keep doing so for somebackwords reason :lol?

You've been digging too much so the tunnel is collapsing. You'll start seeing pieces of the roof fall and materialize into new dirt at random; bad news if you are trying to get back to the surface. (and of course if the dirt hits you, you lose all of the ore in your backpack and are sent back to the surface.)

The game gives you a warning though - light rumble is tread cautiously (try not to jump). heavy brings on the alert.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there anyway at some point to see you mine in full? I think I know how it looks, but it would be great to see a picture of it all.

Just got a 100 level shaft, so I can get near my current bottom really fast. And so I didn't destroy any good ore in the process, I drilled a hole the whole way down leaving a tiny thing of floor at the top so I could make the shaft.

Should of got the bag first, but oh well.

Stitch

Gold Member
Brakara said:
Yeah, you can download the trial then, but you need to load that account with US Microsoft Points in order to be able to buy it.
i thought points were region free?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, I am really making progress. Got elevators running down 300 levels, drills, 40 item bag, and I am getting tons of ores worth money. Great fun. Wonder how long the game lasts.

Ikuu

Not that much longer really, once you start pulling in the money you'll be down at ~1000 in no time and the game just becomes a chore to play.

FerranMG

Picked it today. The premise is super addictive, but the game sure could use better mechanics. I don't like jumping at all. :/
But I'm glad I bought it. It's the first community game I've bought. :)

nli10

FerranMG said:
Picked it today. The premise is super addictive, but the game sure could use better mechanics. I don't like jumping at all. :/
But I'm glad I bought it. It's the first community game I've bought. :)

My first CG too.

Solely demoed on GAF recommendations, and bought on the first 'time out'.

200 Points - perfect.

PLEASE PUT THIS ON DSi . Thanks... :D

nli10

Just put 4 straight hours in to get to my first 1000 deep.

AND I got a friend to buy it so we could despair at our cave ins together.

SickBoy

Rlan said:
Or why don't you go to http://xblcg.info/ where you can VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE GAMES :D

Wow, they've really sexed it up. Still not signing in to some third-party site, though :) ...and it would still be nice to see an option for comments.

(Still have issues with method and the number of zero-point titles, too)

EDIT: Also, the real answer is to do both :)

Rlan

SickBoy said:
Wow, they've really sexed it up. Still not signing in to some third-party site, though :) ...and it would still be nice to see an option for comments.

It simply logs in through login.live.com, the official Login site which Xbox.com uses. It's the same deal with mygamercard and major nelson really.

EazyB

Banned
Awesome little game. It's a shame I didn't get to play much of it at all as my 360 died the day after downloading it.

FerranMG

Hi, I went to sleep thinking of this game, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of this game, and I just woke up and I want to play this game.

Addictive!

Brannon

I've decided to do something called 'Obsessive Tink Tink" and get every mineral I see, when I see it. This has led to all sorts of getting around tons of rocks and pitfalls.

nli10

Brannon said:
I've decided to do something called 'Obsessive Tink Tink" and get every mineral I see, when I see it. This has led to all sorts of getting around tons of rocks and pitfalls.

I'm still playing in my first mine. Not sure how deep I am now, but the hauls are in the tens of millions. Think I'm exiting abut 1350 deep. Great fun!!

Top Bottom