• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

First is just out of curiosity.

1. Is GFWL for Bioshock 2 optional now? Or is it completely done away with?

2. So do you only get Minerva's Den if you had Bioshock 2 before this? Or do I just have to buy Bioshock 2 and I'll get it for free? Say, if I buy the Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle, would I get Minerva's Den for free?

Grief.exe

First is just out of curiosity.

1. Is GFWL for Bioshock 2 optional now? Or is it completely done away with?

2. So do you only get Minerva's Den if you had Bioshock 2 before this? Or do I just have to buy Bioshock 2 and I'll get it for free? Say, if I buy the Bioshock 1 and 2 bundle, would I get Minerva's Den for free?

GFWL is completely gone from the Steam version.

Get Minerva's Den if you bought Bioshock on Steam, retail, or DD previously.
If you buy on Steam today, you will have to buy Minerva's Den as well.

Wow, 2K really set the bar. I was able to activate my GFWL copy of Bioshock 2. Very nice.

Your move Warner Bros.

edit: I assume Steam achievements aren't retroactive if you load a save game? Anyone know?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Valve takes the data from Bioshock 2 and shows the sales and activity spike to other publishers. Problem is they're going to be shipping new products. Ultra Street Fighter IV, Dark Souls II and Dead Rising 3 don't care.

Bioshock Infinite came out 5 months ago. 2K shouldn't have cared.

Sullichin

Here's hoping that Namco gives any sort of shit about Dark Souls PC. Removing the tumor that is GFWL from that game and using steamworks for online would be the most amazing thing. I'm still convinced it won't happen though.

Grief.exe

Valve takes the data from Bioshock 2 and shows the sales and activity spike to other publishers. Problem is they're going to be shipping new products. Ultra Street Fighter IV, Dark Souls II and Dead Rising 3 don't care.

Long tail PC sales are a huge chunk of revenue. Check Take-Two's quarterly financial report, sales of GTAIV PC still take up quite a decent chunk, and it is considered one of the worst ports of all time.

Dark Souls and Capcom's line up of GFWL titles will still be generating a significant amount of income a decade from now. Presuming they update the titles to remove GFWL that is.

Ultra SS4 is a bad example since Capcom is planning on upgrading people to the Steamworks version...for a fee of course.

Here's hoping that Namco gives any sort of shit about Dark Souls PC. Removing the tumor that is GFWL from that game and using steamworks for online would be the most amazing thing. I'm still convinced it won't happen though.

I'm thinking it will happen, see reasoning above.

There has already been activity on the registry recently. The update amounted to nothing, bit why dig around there now?

While its awesome we finally got rid of GFWL, I forgot just how many issues this game has. Spent the past hour trying to get the mouse not to fly across the screens in menus, disable mouse smoothing, only to have it crash whenever I pick up the rivet gun :\

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I buy a key from Amazon, which is on sale all the time, I'm assuming MD will come with it?

Funny, I had an urge to play BioShock 2 a couple of days ago and wanted to see if Minerva's Den was on Steam, but then it wasn't when I checked. This is great news and I already have BS2 installed.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If I buy a key from Amazon, which is on sale all the time, I'm assuming MD will come with it?

If you're talking about buying a physical retail copy, yes, it should register the base game and Minerva's Den.

If you're talking about buying a download that only gives you a cd-key (which I don't think is available at the moment anyway), we're not so sure. Past purchases should work, but going forward, I doubt 2K will continue to allow Amazon and other retailers to sell the old keys.

Flunkie

Banned
Great, but now we need it to be removed from every other game. Nothing they do will get my Batman Arkham City game save back, though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played some of the multiplayer, still enjoy it quite a bit. Very manic. I had a few fine matches and then for a few the sound seemed to be fucked, as if it was echoing or something. Also, I keep 'talking' with my name and microphone going during the game when I don't even have a microphone attached. Very annoying.

I think I might have even seen Stallion during a few matches or so, well if you have Stallion in your steam name that is :p

It's so nice to be able to start the game though and within one or two escape key presses you're at the menu. Lovely. I hope 2K sell increased sales of this now and that it shows other publishers that removing GFWL is worth it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Played some of the multiplayer, still enjoy it quite a bit. Very manic. I had a few fine matches and then for a few the sound seemed to be fucked, as if it was echoing or something. Also, I keep 'talking' with my name and microphone going during the game when I don't even have a microphone attached. Very annoying.

I think I might have even seen Stallion during a few matches or so, well if you have Stallion in your steam name that is :p

It's so nice to be able to start the game though and within one or two escape key presses you're at the menu. Lovely. I hope 2K sell increased sales of this now and that it shows other publishers that removing GFWL is worth it.

Yeah, I played a round ~20 minutes ago. Straight up beasted my way to first place.

Monooboe

This is awesome news. Hopefulle other GFWL games will do the same.

I have both the Collectors Edition Retail and Steam version, too bad I can't add the retail key to Steam just to get Minerva's Den, I'm very curious about that one, keep hearing such good things about it.

Cool, got Minerva's Den for free. Might go through Rapture again for old times sake.
Now they just need to remove all GFWL from all their games. DO IT!!!

xenist

I have both the Collectors Edition Retail and Steam version, too bad I can't add the retail key to Steam just to get Minerva's Den, I'm very curious about that one, keep hearing such good things about it.

If you have the Steam edition of Bioshock 2 you have Minerva's Den. I checked mine. Check your downloadable content.

chupon

Any ideas what would happen if you had an unactivated retail copy of Bioshcok 2? Would that include Minerva's Den also once you add it to Steam, or has that ship sailed?

A while ago I plowed through bioshock 2 and then when I started Minerva's den I think I got a few hours in and I stopped playing. Felt like more of the same. I guess I should try and get back into it.

Grief.exe

While its awesome we finally got rid of GFWL, I forgot just how many issues this game has. Spent the past hour trying to get the mouse not to fly across the screens in menus, disable mouse smoothing, only to have it crash whenever I pick up the rivet gun :

What did you do to fix the mouse?

I booted it up and the mouse movement felt 'funny.'

Any ideas what would happen if you had an unactivated retail copy of Bioshcok 2? Would that include Minerva's Den also once you add it to Steam, or has that ship sailed?

Activate it on Steam, you get B2 and Minerva's Den.

All of this is detailed in the OP.

tw1164

Wow, this is great news. I skipped bioshock 2 since it didn't have controller support. It looks like I'll be playing it after all.

Monooboe

If you have the Steam edition of Bioshock 2 you have Minerva's Den. I checked mine. Check your downloadable content.

Yes just checked and it's there, awesome!:D Thanks for the heads up.

Never thought I would play BioShock 2 again, might even try the multiplayer as there should be much more activity now.

Grief.exe

A while ago I plowed through bioshock 2 and then when I started Minerva's den I think I got a few hours in and I stopped playing. Felt like more of the same. I guess I should try and get back into it.

I always wait a bit so I don't get burnt out. No matter how good a piece of content is, I would struggle to have fun going through the same motions over and over.

...except Dark Souls.

So Minerva's Den wasn't on PC previously right?

GFWL store. DLC purchased from the steam store tends to not play nice with GFWL. That is why you see GOTY editions so often with games riddled with the DRM.

I guarantee I will probably get beaten.

I enjoyed the multiplayer in BS2 a lot. Netcode aside, capture the sister is just plain fun.

Wish they had more confidence in the that portion of the game itself though.

Never

iXbleodcXfzOK.gif

I never stopped believing, not for one second. #Grief.exe-2016

Top Bottom