• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

neoism

More information to come.

If you own Bioshock 2, you now own the DLC automatically. Controller support should be added, they were working on a depot with the title controller support for about a month, with the title eventually being changed to approved.

Original Thread: Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?
Steam Data Base Page: http://steamdb.info/app/8850/#section_history

Updates/Relevant Information

Retail key activates Minerva's Den DLC onto your account as well.
FUUUUUUU damn I wish I'd bought if for $5 in the past...

lol Nevermind $5.. BOUGHT

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Baby-worship-lawd.gif

Thanks 2K, native controller support just excellent. So great they went and did more than just the bare minimum here. Hope they get rewarded for it somehow.

Grief.exe

I never stopped believing, not for one second. #Grief.exe-2016

lol

I've been speculating on this for a long time now, since around February or March. People didn't always believe me on my GFWL shutdown, Bioshock 2, Arkham games, and Ultra Street Fighter speculations, but it seems to be coming together.

BONKERS

AW YEAH. They are so awesome for doing this. I'd been waiting for years to play BS2 finally because it didn't have controller support and used GFWL and other junk.

<3 <3 <3

Also to clarify, you only get Minerva's Den if you already owned the game pre-update. All new owners must buy it separately. Which right now is on sale for 5$ on steam. Wait for the thanksgiving/Winter sale and it will probably go dirt cheap

Lotto

Holy shit, so this is why my Bioshock 2 was downloading today, and it's for free?!? This is too awesome! I would have paid for this DLC too, nice guys 2k.

Wow, I guess you were right the whole time, Grief. and lol at your title.

Awesome, free dlc and controller support! I'll take it.

Sentenza

lol

I've been speculating on this for a long time now, since around February or March. People didn't always believe me on my GFWL shutdown, Bioshock 2, Arkham games, and Ultra Street Fighter speculations, but it seems to be coming together.

Can't wait for Batman and Dark Souls, now.
And your new user title is awesome.

Holy shit, so this is why my Bioshock 2 was downloading today, and it's for free?!? This is too awesome! I would have paid for this DLC too, nice guys 2k.

It's less about being nice, and more that there's a lot of issues leaving the GFWL marketplace and not having a good system to find owners.

I bought it on GFWL. There's no key they could redeem with. Other DLC has keys, but not Minerva's Den.

Vibranium

Banned
I didn't pick up Bioshock 2 specifically because of GFWL but I'm totally going to buy it along with Minerva's Den during the Steam Holiday sale. Nice to see the game being kept going!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do we have a reliable list on how many games might be getting this treatment? I'm sure From wont do anything about DS.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is eventually being patched.
Batman AA/AC have beta builds, presumably for removing GFWL.

I am not aware of any other games that we have any real evidence to believe will be patched.

Grief.exe

Via Twitter, Bulletstorm and Grid are being discussed internally.
Halo 2 also has some Steam Registry and Twitter rumors as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is eventually being patched.
Batman AA/AC have beta builds, presumably for removing GFWL.

I am not aware of any other games that we have any real evidence to believe will be patched.

If they let me do the key activation with AA and AC I'll love them forever.

Eusis

Bulletstorm was in the EA Humble Bundle so I'm inclined to think they'll remove it. Nevertheless (and somewhat ironically admittedly) I bought it from XBL during the summer sale to be safe, at least the 360 will be supported for longer though I feel that may get the axe sooner than the PS3 would especially if some worst case scenarios unfold for Xbox internally.

Grief.exe

Controller support is in? Yay, couch gaming.

Thankfully the Steam controller is coming. Won't be as much of an issue when M/KB controls are emulated natively.

I don't generally play games with a controller, but I fully understand why it is such a desirable feature.

Storm360

Via Twitter, Bulletstorm and Grid are being discussed internally.
Halo 2 also has some Steam Registry and Twitter rumors as well.

Grid is GFWL? I've been considering picking up the first everytime it's been cheap, but never bit the bullet due to not finding definitive DRM info on it

Lazaro

My Retail GFW key now works on Steam, with added Minerva DLC. This is really good news. 2K must be in a happy mood from all those GTA V sales.

I've been sitting on Bioshock and Bioshock 2 keys for an extremely long time for some reason and just never activated them.
I just entered them due to this new DLC and it gave it to me for free!
Sweet action. Thanks!

wow this is awesome, I bought it 2 years ago but then I read how the keyboard controls were horrible, so I never got around to playing it. Getting Minerva's Den for free was totally unexpected too. Make the whole package a ridiculous deal, considering that I only paid $5 for the main game

Eusis

No, it wasn't. It was in the rumoured list pulled from EA's updates in the Steam registry but that turned out to be incorrect.
Ah, whoops. I blame the fact I already had it so it wouldn't have mattered too much either way to me if it were there.

Oublieux

I do, when it fits well.
Which pretty much means "never, for a first person shooter".

This is how I usually feel, except Bioshock 1 and 2 have low FOV. Technically you can tweak the .ini file to expand the FOV, but the actual model of the hand/gun don't change proportionally and take up most of the bottom section of the screen; this is what largely makes me feel a measure of motion sickness. Very few games make me nauseous. Last time this happened was with Metro 2033 and F.E.A.R.

Grief.exe

This is how I usually feel, except Bioshock 1 and 2 have low FOV. Technically you can tweak the .ini file to expand the FOV, but the actual model of the hand/gun don't change proportionally and take up most of the bottom section of the screen; this is what largely makes me feel a measure of motion sickness. Very few games make me nauseous. Last time this happened was with Metro 2033 and F.E.A.R.

Both of those games have pretty good FOV options.

The former with a slider, and the latter expands with your aspect ratio naturally, if I remember correctly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol

Now tell us what is gonna happen to Dark Souls, Lost Planet: Colonies Edition, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Devil May Cry 4, and Biohazard 5.

catabarez said:
All GFWL games need this. Capcom should add the RE5 DLC while they're at it.

And since the trainers show it's possible, add in the ability to swap Chris/Sheva with whoever in-game you want. Barry and Rebecca take on Wesker and Excella-Chris? Yes you can! I'd be down for this.

Grief.exe

All GFWL games need this. Capcom should add the RE5 DLC while they're at it.

As I said earlier, it would seem that selling DLC outside of the GFWL client does not play nicely with games using that DRM. That would be why you see most of these games as GOTY editions, rather than selling separate DLC.

Now tell us what is gonna happen to Dark Souls, Lost Planet: Colonies Edition, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Devil May Cry 4, and Biohazard 5.

DMC4 actually isn't GFWL.

Just catching up to all this now and read on the wiki that the Arkham games are removing SecuROM too? That's fantastic!

Yes, Arkham City actually removed the CD Keys from the registry and the on launch command a couple months ago. Still waiting on that update.

Top Bottom