• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Zambayoshi

It's a complete reboot. Kate, Celeste, Jacknife and Merc are all gone. Merc has been replaced by some guy named Noah, and you have a new runner pal named
Icarus
( it's a likely spoiler if you played the first game)

Noooooo! Not Merc!

1644349-30_characters_merc_concept.png

You'll always live in my heart, big bro...

Coffinhal

Why is it a closed beta ? We're in 2016 and their game need to be known.

Hope they won't whine "No sales, it's piracy's and gamers' fault"
but they will

A-V-B

Why is it a closed beta ? We're in 2016 and their game need to be known.

Hope they won't whine "No sales, it's piracy's and gamers' fault"
but they will

Well, they're not actually going to try and tweak the game based on feedback. Way too late for that.

I dunno. Maybe they decided that choosing what kinds of fans get to talk about the game was better for PR.

Coffinhal

Well, they're not actually going to try and tweak the game based on feedback. Way too late for that.

I dunno. Maybe they decided that choosing what kinds of fans get to talk about the game was better for PR.

There is no better PR than a public demo available for everyone everywhere ; expect if your game is meh and then it's going to go all Battlefront backlash like in november.

Or at least be smart and let people get codes easily so there the word of mouth can be you an incentive to play the game ("oh my friends finished the beta, he has a code so that someone else can play it now!").

Well, if nothing else, they won't lose sales due to piracy this time :p Denuvo is all the rage right now and it's sure to be in full force here! :D

True, but piracy is the other word for grey market, and I don't think that's good for their money and their numbers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's a complete reboot. Kate, Celeste, Jacknife and Merc are all gone. Merc has been replaced by some guy named Noah, and you have a new runner pal named
Icarus
( it's a likely spoiler if you played the first game)

Wait, don't we have like equivalents of them in the game? Could've sworn I read somewhere that Celeste (the best) was in some capacity in the game.
I mean the big baddie is Pirandello Kruger, right? I thought they were going to do the same for the other characters.

A-V-B

Wait, don't we have like equivalents of them in the game? Could've sworn I read somewhere that Celeste the baws was in some capacity in the game.

I mean the big baddie is Pirandello Kruger, right? I thought they were going to do the same for the other characters.

Yeah, I think they mentioned Celeste being in the game, too.

Just about all the same characters are in this one, only... different.

Noah = Merc

Icarus = Celeste (I'm guessing. Dude's telegraphing a betrayal from miles away.)

Celeste = Celeste, but maybe a runner for someone else?

Kate = Kate, but maybe she's dead or estranged or something?

Kruger = Kruger

Yeah, I think they mentioned Celeste being in the game, too.

Just about all the same characters are in this one, only... different.

Noah = Merc

Icarus = Celeste (I'm guessing. Dude's telegraphing a betrayal from miles away.)

Celeste = Celeste, but maybe a runner for someone else?

Kate = Kate, but maybe she's dead or estranged or something?

Kruger = Kruger

It's a minor thing, but I really don't understand why they changed Merc's name. Like, what's the point?

Also... there's something kind of perfect about Merc's name. I don't know. It sounds RIGHT to me. :3

A-V-B

It's a minor thing, but I really don't understand why they changed Merc's name. Like, what's the point?

Also... there's something kind of perfect about Merc's name. I don't know. It sounds RIGHT to me. :3

I guess they wanted it to sound special. Like Noah's ark or something.

Merc sounds like the name of a generic enemy type. You know, jumpsuit and helmet. Not that it bothered me! But I can see someone going for a different name.

True, but piracy is the other word for grey market, and I don't think that's good for their money and their numbers.

For game keys you mean? I really, really don't understand why this is a thing. If you're concerned about the resale market getting oversaturated, maybe you should stop generating so many game keys. Or allowing keys to be used cross-region, if that's the part that's causing problems. And for crying out loud, deactivate keys that are bought with stolen credit cards.

This is a bigger discussion than this topic, but my point is, game devs have the tools to stop key reselling, and for one reason or another they choose not to. I can only conclude that they don't really care.

Merc sounds like the name of a generic enemy type. You know, jumpsuit and helmet.

But that's just it! Merc was kind of nonspecific guy. And kind of dangerous, if you will.

Edit: I am so freaking bad about double posting. This has to be the third time today. I think I need to go to bed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you enjoy the basic gameplay, will this still be unfun I wonder

Better yet, if you enjoy the basic gameplay, why the fuck do you care? Unless the collectables unlock moves why the fuck does it bother you? Ignore them or go for them at your own volition. The game isn't holding a gun to your head and FORCING you to pick those up.

FFS, half of GAF shitting on the games design decisions is blowing my mind. They're giving you the ability to play with others and give tips or find new lines/abilities
and possibly be able to change the map a la Skate's "custom skatepark" ability
and folks are freaking the fuck out because it isn't another 5-hour linear run.

I like Mirror's Edge 1. But Christ, we do not need another copy of it outside of the core-gameplay.

A-V-B

Better yet, if you enjoy the basic gameplay, why the fuck do you care? Unless the collectables unlock moves why the fuck does it bother you? Ignore them or go for them at your own volition. The game isn't holding a gun to your head and FORCING you to pick those up.

FFS, half of GAF shitting on the games design decisions is blowing my mind. They're giving you the ability to play with others and give tips or find new lines/abilities
and possibly be able to change the map a la Skate's "custom skatepark" ability
and folks are freaking the fuck out because it isn't another 5-hour linear run.

I like Mirror's Edge 1. But Christ, we do not need another copy of it outside of the core-gameplay.

Whoever said we needed a copy? For example, when people say they liked Mass Effect 1, they don't want a sequel to copy all that game's shitty elements. They want to take the great parts and make it even better. So I think people wanted a Mirror's Edge 2 because they wanted a Mirror's Edge 1++.

Improve what it did right while fixing what it did wrong, all without compromising what made it truly unique. It remains to be seen if Catalyst actually does this.

Whoever said we needed a copy? For example, when people say they liked Mass Effect 1, they don't want a sequel to copy all that game's shitty elements. They want to take the great parts and make it even better. So I think people wanted a Mirror's Edge 2 because they wanted a Mirror's Edge 1++.

Improve what it did right while fixing what it did wrong, all without compromising what made it truly unique. It remains to be seen if Catalyst actually does this.
honestly, I haven't seen anything that looks as if it's worse. Or that it's copying/doubling down on the bad elements of ME (aside from the story, which is w/e).

It still had then linear stages. It has combat that can actually be a part of the parkour this time. Gameplay looks like ME

DOWN

Banned

Need For Speed from EA has been crazy tweaked and built on based on feedback, in rather short time. In just a few months, fan feedback has dramatically shifted that game very close to player requests.

A-V-B

Need For Speed from EAhas been crazy tweaked and built on based on feedback, in rather short time. In just a few months, fan feedback has dramatically shifted that game very close to player requests.

Wasn't Need for Speed kind of a PR mess? I wasn't anywhere close to that game, but I heard that some people were upset about it or something.

...actually, I would be perfectly happy with a carbon copy of Mirror's Edge 1 with new levels. Bad combat and all. But that's just me. :3

At this point, the only change I'm upset about are the XP unlocks. All the other changes either sound good or have the potential to be good, and in the latter case I'm going to reserve judgement until I can play the game for myself.

I just posted a bit of a rant about this in the other Mirror's Edge thread (which I subsequently decided was too rant-y and deleted), but if I didn't like Mirror's Edge so much, and if I wasn't so excited about Catalyst, I wouldn't be nearly this critical.

I am going to enjoy the heck out of Mirror's Edge. I can't say for certain if it will be a day 1 purchase, but if it's not, it's only because I've decided to wait until I get a Pascal graphics card, so I can experience the game to its fullest.

DOWN

Banned

It's not a fluke that dozens of posts are surprised by negative tones, especially quoting you. You sound like you aren't open to the idea that this game could be a really well done and enjoyable use of the Mirror's Edge spirit from the studio that invented it in the first place. If you are still open to that idea, you sure aren't letting it flow into your posts.
Wasn't Need for Speed kind of a PR mess? I wasn't anywhere close to that game, but I heard that some people were upset about it or something.
Nah, people didn't like that it was online only and had not drag racing, but it wasn't a huge bomb or anything. It's one of the best looking games around and it has had loads done to reshape it with positive response.

It's not a fluke that dozens of posts are surprised by negative tones, especially quoting you. You sound like you aren't open to the idea that this game could be a really well done and enjoyable use of the Mirror's Edge spirit from the studio that invented it in the first place. If you are still open to that idea, you sure aren't letting it flow into your posts.

Huh? I haven't noticed "tons" of posts to that effect, at least in this thread. The other thread an OP that made a bunch of criticisms that were somewhat unnecessary (he didn't realize you could disable the new runner vision, for example), which I think is what prompted this type of response.

I think the other problem is that, right now, all we have to go on is this unedited video footage various gaming sites have made. And the easiest way to interpret that footage is compare it to the game we did like—ME1—to come to conclusions about this one. That's why I'm being so careful to reserve judgement on things like the new combat.

I really don't understand the marketing strategy behind giving a game to a bunch of reporters to record unedited gameplay. Letting them write up impressions is one thing, but when you have them actually record hour-long footage... people are going to pour through it and come to conclusions that aren't always accurate. Remember that thread where people spent pages and pages analyzing Mario Maker to determine whether the physics had changed? And no one could really come to a conclusion? Video footage can be really hard to interpet.

A-V-B

I'm certainly cautious. Money controls this scenario, and I know a sequel wouldn't have been made if compromises weren't on the table from day one. A direct sequel to Mirror's Edge isn't bringing in dough unless they make it on a shoestring budget, and you basically can't make Mirror's Edge shoestring unless it's an abstract level pack for the original game. And that's not even worth making.

Trying to reboot Mirror's Edge as a mass appeal game certainly has to be harder than just making another one for a specific group of players.

Zambayoshi

Mercury = messenger of the gods.

Also, they changed Faith's father's name from Abraham Connors to Martin Connors (why?)
and killed him off

and you basically can't make Mirror's Edge shoestring unless it's an abstract level pack for the original game.

Y'know, I was actually thinking about this while I went for a walk just now. Maybe I'm making the common mistake of underestimating game budgets, but I don't quite understand why the original ME was such an expensive game. Or it least, I don't understand why it had to be such expensive game.

All they really need are a bunch of buildings and pipes and maybe a couple of interiors. Copy and paste them to design levels, hire a couple of voice actors for in-level chatter so you can maintain a rudimentary story, and design some convincing skyboxes. Maybe add some DLC-esque dream levels, since those assets are so easy to create. Boom. You have a game that I, at least, would have been pleased with.

I mean, it was NICE that the first game had storm drains and a mall and a subway and a boat, but I'd be perfectly happy just jumping across skyscrapers. You'd still need more assets than the standard indie game, but I don't think you'd need any more than, say, Life is Strange, which is said to have been developed on a pretty meagre budget.

DICE decided to take the expensive route, which I do prefer, assuming it's good (and I'm very optimistic that it will be). But I do think the budget Mirror's Edge could have been done. Generally speaking, the evaporation the mid-budget game is really disappointing.

Let me get this straight, then.

Things we don't need:
- Another simple, laser-focused, totally unique game like Mirror's Edge

Things we do need:
- Another bloated AAA open world game where you grind XP to fill bars, unlock abilities that should have been there from the beginning, punch guys in an arena until you're allowed to move on, tick copy/pasted side missions off a checklist and hunt down five different kinds of collectibles

If only Catalyst had towers you could climb to reveal new areas of your map I'd be able to fill out this whole line on my AAA Video Game Bingo card.

Blizzard

Banned
If only Catalyst had towers you could climb to reveal new areas of your map I'd be able to fill out this whole line on my AAA Video Game Bingo card.
I mean, you do have a map and at least one of the missions in the gameplay footage involved getting to the top of a tower, right? So there's still hope for your bingo card.

Let me get this straight, then.

Things we don't need:
- Another simple, laser-focused, totally unique game like Mirror's Edge

Things we do need:
- Another bloated AAA open world game where you grind XP to fill bars, unlock abilities that should have been there from the beginning, punch guys in an arena until you're allowed to move on, tick copy/pasted side missions off a checklist and hunt down five different kinds of collectibles

Damn UbiTowers. They're probably in there because every open-world game not made by Rockstar, Bethesda, or CD Projekt decided to adopt that menial crap.

golem

Collectables?

Logically speaking in a parkour game where the challenge is to scale and explore areas does this not make sence ?

Why not? If there are challenging places to get to in the game- there should be a reward at the end for reaching them.

I mean, you do have a map and at least one of the missions in the gameplay footage involved getting to the top of a tower, right? So there's still hope for your bingo card.

Yeah one preview i believe mentioned climbing to the top of towers and hacking billboards for your friends to see..

A-V-B

To be serious, I'm all for enjoying climbing. The Kate level was my favorite in the entirety of Mirror's Edge one.

I LOVED climbing the central tower in Shadow of the Colossus. I didn't even care the fruit at the top was poisoned. Just figuring it out was a treat.

I also liked climbing back in the original Assassin's Creed, when it was more puzzle-like and less automatic. Less so when they started copying and pasting towers so you were solving the same puzzles halfway into the game, but all the same...

Robiin

To be serious, I'm all for enjoying climbing. The Kate level was my favorite in the entirety of Mirror's Edge one.
I don't remember the names, but I assume that was the yellow-interior building where you climbed up a "building site"? If so, same.

SomTervo

Things we do need:

Where the heck are you getting this from?

Read the Eurogamer preview.

- the open world is sparse
- the collectibles are mandatory objectives to make you climb/explore/find routes. They are not optional Ubisoft-style bloat
- the skill tree is simple

If we are blocked by enemy death to proceed sometimes, though, that does suck.

pringles

- the collectibles are mandatory objectives to make you climb/explore/find routes. They are not optional Ubisoft-style bloat
The way I read that line in the preview was the collectibles are "mandatory" as in "it's open world, so you gotta have collectibles".

It honestly doesn't concern me though. If there's one game where collectibles kinda make sense it's a game like this where traversal and solving environmental puzzles is actually fun.

If some of the mechanics are simplified though and there are moments where you are forced to take out all enemies to proceed... those are bad signs to me. One of the most satisfying things in the first Mirror's Edge was going through the game again after grinding the time trials. You could run through areas so fast the enemies barely had time to spawn. No matter how improved the fighting is, it shouldn't be something that is forced on you.

SomTervo

The way I read that line in the preview was the collectibles are "mandatory" as in "it's open world, so you gotta have collectibles".

It honestly doesn't concern me though. If there's one game where collectibles kinda make sense it's a game like this where traversal and solving environmental puzzles is actually fun.

If some of the mechanics are simplified though and there are moments where you are forced to take out all enemies to proceed... those are bad signs to me. One of the most satisfying things in the first Mirror's Edge was going through the game again after grinding the time trials. You could run through areas so fast the enemies barely had time to spawn. No matter how improved the fighting is, it shouldn't be something that is forced on you.

I see what you mean. The correct word there would have been 'obligatory' rather than 'mandatory'. Mandatory means 'necessitated' more than 'obligatory'.

At risk of repeating myself: we have a mission summery screenshot that literally says "Collected 0/17 Electronic Parts"

Are you telling me those 17 parts are optional? Because it looked like the player was able to complete the mission without them.

(And if there are missions that require you to collect *17* pieces in order to progress... screw that.)

AJ_Wings

Yeah, I know this is a DICE game and there is very little hope of the story being any good... but these cutscenes are just gorgeous.

Top Bottom