• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mission impossible : Dead Reckoning Part. 1 | Review thread

Mr Blobby

I'm definitely into the AI concept, but Gabriel is the definition of cliché

The movie really didn’t have to give us a cliched backstory. It doesn't help the dude can't fight to save his life. Either the choreography was very off both times (venice/train) or the dude is bad at selling it.

I will say this, I did like the explanation as to why the AI chose Gabriel.

Regarding Grace. The fact she kept running away, more times than I can count got annoying quickly. So did the key swaps. Okay okay we get it, you're a master thief 👏
if you can't kill a guy holding a knife, with a sword, you deserve to die :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Hmmm .... the movie is doing less than expected at the box office. If you only look at the first weekend BO gross, Indy will beat Ethan Hunt. Considering the fact that MI7 cost an incredible $295 million dollar, this movie (despite its terrific RT/Metacritic/audience scores) could be yet another mega expensive BO bomb. The international BO will be crucial here. The previous MI movies did much more business abroad than in the US.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Hmmm .... the movie is doing less than expected at the box office. If you only look at the first weekend BO gross, Indy will beat Ethan Hunt. Considering the fact that MI7 cost an incredible $295 million dollar, this movie (despite its terrific RT/Metacritic/audience scores) could be yet another mega expensive BO bomb. The international BO will be crucial here. The previous MI movies did much business abroad than in the US.

With all the talk of "theaters are back", I think we're seeing more and more evidence that this is not the case.

I don't think theater attendance as a whole will ever return to what it was pre-COVID.

Urban

With all the talk of "theaters are back", I think we're seeing more and more evidence that this is not the case.

I don't think theater attendance as a whole will ever return to what it was pre-COVID.
recession hit the people and the one of the first segments where you save money is entertainment.
+ they programmed the masses to wait for stream

Salz01

I want to see it really bad. But my family will wait and buy it on iTunes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn that was good. Excellent stunt choreography and just fun all around. A bit heavy handed on the exposition scenes because I didn't think the plot was THAT complicated.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just got back from seeing it. Fantastic spy action movie. Among the best pacing in a film ever. Didn't feel like 3 hours.

Also, LMAO at the guy who got kicked off the train.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Actually liked Dead Reckoning part 1, Cruise crushed it no matter what was against him. The mission impossible is still intriguing, the action scenes are like they’re built from Bourne (Rome car chase), the AI knows how to manipulate people and there’s a lot of $ involved for control of the key and access to the AI, the god like being. The movie theater wasn’t a beautiful experience with people talking, if you want to see it rent it.

HoodWinked

its wild the movie starts with a submarine sinking.

anyways, movie really shines when things are real and practical but the parts they green screened were a step down.

they did some hollywood magic with Hayley Atwell she was hypnotizing in scenes she was in.

jason10mm

Gold Member
they did some hollywood magic with Hayley Atwell she was hypnotizing in scenes she was in.
IMHO they turned her DOWN and made her LESS sexy. That girl just oozes it.

VNa9Wju.jpg
PPLI77X.jpg
bnA12gi.jpg

HoodWinked

Hmmm .... the movie is doing less than expected at the box office. If you only look at the first weekend BO gross, Indy will beat Ethan Hunt. Considering the fact that MI7 cost an incredible $295 million dollar, this movie (despite its terrific RT/Metacritic/audience scores) could be yet another mega expensive BO bomb. The international BO will be crucial here. The previous MI movies did much more business abroad than in the US.

ya hopefully it still does well, next week is tough too since Oppenheimer opens.

but ya way too much audience overlap for Mission Impossible/Unexpected Sound of Freedom/Indiana Jones

9JqNXfr.png

AmuroChan

ya hopefully it still does well, next week is tough too since Oppenheimer opens.

but ya way too much audience overlap for Mission Impossible/Unexpected Sound of Freedom/Indiana Jones

9JqNXfr.png

Oppenheimer is only projected to make $40m. You should be more worried about wives and gfs dragging their bfs/husbands to go watch Barbie.

Another thing working against MI is the long run time. The theaters are basically losing one show per screen each day. Ultimately, the BO should be fine. The strong audience score means it'll have strong legs, and there's not much coming out in August. So the movie should chug along nicely through Labor Day.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I read some article where the box office projection for Part 1 and 2 was 3.5 billion combined....which was never going to happen.

But it'll be fine. Like others have mentioned, it will have strong legs. I bet it hits 1.1 or 1.2 billion when all is said and done.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

The movie will be fine in the long-run. Historically the MI films have mild opening weekends followed by very strong legs. They also do very well internationally.

Mr Blobby

It's incredible that he has been playing Ethan Hunt for 26 years but all good things come to an end. Will part 2 be his last MI role in a physically demanding capacity? Obviously time catches up with us all, but I hope he's got maybe 1 more after part 2.

Stare-Bear

Banned
No Mission Impossible story needs 6 hours... I thought it was way too long, with action scenes starting off exciting and dragging on for so long it became tedious. For example, instead of escaping 1 traincart dangling from a cliff, they escape 5! Just kept going and going...

And everytime the AI was on screen I couldn't help but think of this...
26s375e9sny21.jpg

Lunarorbit

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Vanessa Kirby plays the same character she did in fast and furious.

I haven't seen either movie but for some reason she really annoys me. I don't know if it's her specifically, the fact that I've been over brits having so many roles in American productions for years, or my assumptions of what she does in both movies.

Seems like lazy casting to me.

xandaca

(FULL SPOILERS AHEAD)

I have Fallout at the bottom of my M:I ranking list so was apprehensive about this, but wound up enjoying it quite a bit. It resolves many of the biggest issues with that film, notably that it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously and reverts to the Looney Tunes vibe of Ghost Protocol (at one point Ethan is threatened by a dangling grand piano); the film spaces out its action scenes and puts more emphasis on story, avoiding the feeling of being a numbing conveyor belt of disconnected stunts; said action scenes are fewer in number, allowing each to have more impact and more time to develop and be inventive within themselves, and with a much stronger sense of cause-and-effect progression compared to the equivalents in Fallout (particularly the interminable helicopter climax) feeling like one contrived scenario plonked after another for the sake of just having more stuff happen; the idiotic mythologising of Ethan is mostly gone, and the one big line that could be construed that way is played for laughs; Hayley Atwell is a very charismatic addition to the cast and brings a bit of normie energy which makes the film around her a little more relatable; Pom Klementieff is a fantastic henchwoman, with one big caveat (see below). I also enjoyed Ethan doing his dorky little magic trick from the original film.

On the downside, while it is paced much better than Fallout and entertaining at a minimum from start to finish, it is definitely longer than it needs to be and gets a bit tiring in the final act; the story is simple, which is fine, but the plot contortions within it can be needlessly overwrought (two versions of the Entity, a late change in its origin, several logistic questions) and the ultimate threat is too abstract (threatening the 'concept of truth'?) to add real stakes; while it's clear the emphasis is on the AI as the main villain, Gabriel as its human embodiment is rather half-baked, and like the return of Julia in Fallout, his connection to Ethan's past feels completely arbitrary; I like most of the main characters in this to some degree but there are too many of them, with the two agents chasing Ethan feeling particularly disposable, while Kitteridge and Denlinger should have been a single character; Ilsa, once again, is given absolutely nothing meaningful to do, and both her return and fate continue to feel like they solely exist because she was so fantastic in Rogue Nation; the only thing I genuinely hated about this film was that after being a fantastic henchwoman for 90% of the film, Pom Klementieff's Paris is turned good at the end against established character and for the flimsiest reason, seemingly just to deliver exposition that could easily and more convincingly have been handed out elsewhere. She also deserved a more bombastic death than she received.

Finally, something I'm conflicted about: I really like Hayley Atwell and her character (Grace) in this, but the role would have been so much more immediately evocative had it been written as Nyah Nordorff-Hall/Thandiwe Newton from M:I-2, arguably the series' biggest dangling thread as one of Ethan's former love interests. Like Grace, Nyah is a thief and she's outside the service, and her history with Ethan means their reconnecting would have a much greater emotional impact and make less ridiculous Gabriel's threat of killing one of two women Ethan cares about, Ilsa or Grace, given Ethan only met Grace a few days' prior (it would also make it far less obvious who is going to die for that same reason). The only change to the story would be that a white girl is needed to double Vanessa Kirby (who gives another enjoyably hammy performance) but were it Nyah who is killed on the bridge - which would have more weight as Ethan and Ilsa's 'romantic' connection was never remotely convincing to me - Ilsa could fill that role and be brought into the IMF, which seems a far more logical progression for her character (she really should have been the one to take the series over from Cruise when/if he retires).

Anyway, enough rambling. The original film and Ghost Protocol are still the top two in the series for me, but this and Rogue Nation are battling it out for the third spot, both being flawed but essentially enjoyable movies which do a lot more right than they do wrong. I also appreciated that this didn't end with some silly cliffhanger, but Ethan's mission from the start of the film being achieved as a stepping stone to the next one (though I'm far from convinced the story as seen so far needed two films to be told). Overall, good stuff.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll see this film again if necessary to help it make bank. Just the joy of seeing hair flop around and faces be pushed by wind and g-forces, all things that add immensely to the realism of the stunt, even if it is being done with cg and stunt people at times, is worth it.

I couldn't help but contrast the chases in Dial of Destiny with MIDR1 and woooooow, just league's better with Cruise. Whether it was the time they spent, the choices they made, or just the will of Cruise versus Ford, it really stands out. Give that team a damned Indy film!
Just don't let McQuarrie write it, that guy loooooooves over complicating things, like the entire bit in the giant vault full of typewriters (they dont have printers in the CIA?) and the room full of never seen before or again generals and deputies who all deliver an impeccably orchestrated 'round the room' ensemble speech straight from the hammiest episode of CSI. I feel like there was 30 minutes of AI stuff cut out as The Entity's relationship with the sub is murky at best and the need for that macguffin key is dubious when it seems like just smashing it solves most of the problems.

AmuroChan

I couldn't help but contrast the chases in Dial of Destiny with MIDR1 and woooooow, just league's better with Cruise. Whether it was the time they spent, the choices they made, or just the will of Cruise versus Ford, it really stands out. Give that team a damned Indy film!
Just don't let McQuarrie write it, that guy loooooooves over complicating things, like the entire bit in the giant vault full of typewriters (they dont have printers in the CIA?) and the room full of never seen before or again generals and deputies who all deliver an impeccably orchestrated 'round the room' ensemble speech straight from the hammiest episode of CSI. I feel like there was 30 minutes of AI stuff cut out as The Entity's relationship with the sub is murky at best and the need for that macguffin key is dubious when it seems like just smashing it solves most of the problems.

I think the easiest comparison to make is Fast X and MI which both had a car chase in Rome through basically the same areas. One was demonstratively better because you can tell it's real. The other is a physics-defying CGI fest.

kunonabi

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Vanessa Kirby plays the same character she did in fast and furious.

I haven't seen either movie but for some reason she really annoys me. I don't know if it's her specifically, the fact that I've been over brits having so many roles in American productions for years, or my assumptions of what she does in both movies.

Seems like lazy casting to me.
Kirby is amazing so this take massively confuses me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
4 million less on opening weekend than Dial Of Destiny, with the same budget. Much better international, but still not great.

Last edited:

kunonabi

MI released on a Wednesday with pre showings back on Monday so you can't make an exact comparison like that.

AmuroChan

4 million less on opening weekend than Dial Of Destiny, with the same budget. Much better international, but still not great.

It's in line with what MI films traditionally make, and it'll have much better legs than Indy. It should be fine in the long run. Also, don't forget that they've already filmed some parts of MI8 while filming MI7. So that $295m budget covered MI7 and some of MI8.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Let's not panic, it is doing quite well internationally and I doubt Oppenheimer and Barbie, both very US centric (I think, was barbie an international toy?) will dent it.

235 mill so far, pretty damned good if you ask me. That's 70 mill more than TLM and 100 mill more than Dial of Destiny. I think Paramount is feeling ok.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
IMHO they turned her DOWN and made her LESS sexy. That girl just oozes it.

VNa9Wju.jpg
PPLI77X.jpg
bnA12gi.jpg
Can’t believe she is already 40...
Completely took the film. I remember actually thinking “now THAT is a strong female character” when I was in the cinema. You know, as opposed to Brie Larson and the like whwre you don’t buy it for a second.

AmuroChan

Let's not panic, it is doing quite well internationally and I doubt Oppenheimer and Barbie, both very US centric (I think, was barbie an international toy?) will dent it.

235 mill so far, pretty damned good if you ask me. That's 70 mill more than TLM and 100 mill more than Dial of Destiny. I think Paramount is feeling ok.

MI has always been a very international franchise. No MI film has ever made more than $220m domestically.

KaiserBecks

This movie is…..long. And unlike John Wick 4 for example, it feels….long. We had a pretty good time but to me, this was by far one of the weaker MI films. Nobody should rush to see it, just check it out next year before part 2 arrives (which will hopefully feel more satisfying).

KaiserBecks

Can’t believe she is already 40...
Completely took the film. I remember actually thinking “now THAT is a strong female character” when I was in the cinema. You know, as opposed to Brie Larson and the like whwre you don’t buy it for a second.
I thought there was nothing strong about her, she was annoying as hell.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not an exact comparison since MI opened early on a Tuesday. So a lot of people already saw it between Tuesday-Thursday. Also, MI's international gross in one weekend has already matched Indy's entire international gross.
Yeah, this is gonna crush Indy. Variety is just rolling with the clickbait.

Top Gun:Maverick, for comparison, made just ~15 mill more at 248 mill it's opening (memorial day) weekend.

Granted TGM cost a lot less, but I think MIDR1 is gonna do just fine.

Last edited:

winisus

Neo Member
No doubt it's a great movie and I love Tom Cruise but as a fan of the original 90s series, I still can't accept what they did to Jim Phelps in first MI movie and there are too many Michael Bay's blowing stuff up after the first movie. I prefer the 90s style of MI.

AmuroChan

Yeah, this is gonna crush Indy. Variety is just rolling with the clickbait.

Top Gun:Maverick, for comparison, made just ~15 mill more at 248 mill it's opening (memorial day) weekend.

Granted TGM cost a lot less, but I think MIDR1 is gonna do just fine.

Also, they've already started filming Part 2. So regardless of what the boxoffice total ends up being for Part 1, we're getting Part 2 next year.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Enjoyed it.

Problems: they had to juggle a lot of expository gibberish to sell the premise, but felt afraid to get too technical, so it gets bogged down in layman's explanations of AI at times. A lot of the players end up standing around idly during climactic scenes because no one really knows what's going on and characters keep having to explain wonky ambiguous situations to each other and then decide what to do. Somewhat incoherent or overly tuned fight scenes. A lot of green screen spectacle that isn't as engaging as it would be if it were more grounded and more real. Fallout had cooler moments like Henry Cavill in the bathroom--intense, memorable action with no green screen of galaxies colliding in the background necessary. Didn't really set up part 2 very much. Tom Cruise's face gets uncanny valley at times with whatever work he's had done to stave off the reality of being in his 60s.

Good stuff: Rebecca Ferguson, Haylee Atwell, and Vanessa Kirby are all stunners, and Atwell's mix of being in over her head and sleight of hand to shift situations is a lot of fun. Big, cool set pieces. Female characters who have agency and kick ass but remain feminine, somehow, in Hollywood in 2023. Effective character moments throughout.

The problems don't kill the movie by any means. Great theater experience and recommended.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I need to look back and see what the IMF female death rate versus guys is for this series. That they even call it out WITHIN the film is an interesting meta commentary on how these types of series end up (Bond is pretty similar I think) when they run long enough.

Cruises inability to sell ANY type of romantic engagement is his one real weakness as an actor IMHO. I'm curious what he is gonna do once the lone wolf hero type roles are just too young for him and he has to transition to dad/husband stuff. I'm kinda hoping we see him take on being a villain for a bit and really chew the scenery.

T-0800

I thought the first few minutes were very unrealistic with the high tech Russian submarine. A few minutes later they sank themselves which was much more realistic. Never rush to judgement, kids.

kunonabi

Why does she always look so different? I swear her face morphs every few years. Always looking great though.
Probably her weight. She's thinner in DR than she was in say Captain America and you really see it in the face. She's like Connelly where she looks much better when she isn't so skinny.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cruises inability to sell ANY type of romantic engagement is his one real weakness as an actor IMHO
It’s worse here than it is normally. They go all-in on a savior martyr angle. It was okay when it was his virtuous ex-wife with a deep connection he was willing to sacrifice himself for, but in this one he’s juggling a few different women and grandstanding about sacrificing himself for all of them. Gets a little weird.

xandaca

It’s worse here than it is normally. They go all-in on a savior martyr angle. It was okay when it was his virtuous ex-wife with a deep connection he was willing to sacrifice himself for, but in this one he’s juggling a few different women and grandstanding about sacrificing himself for all of them. Gets a little weird.
south park television GIF

Mahnmut

No Mission Impossible story needs 6 hours... I thought it was way too long, with action scenes starting off exciting and dragging on for so long it became tedious. For example, instead of escaping 1 traincart dangling from a cliff, they escape 5! Just kept going and going...

And everytime the AI was on screen I couldn't help but think of this...
26s375e9sny21.jpg
My feeling exactly. Also the airport scene : "look this is Hunt" nope it's another guy lol, "look that's definitely him now", nope still another dude lol. The whole
dummy atomic bomb thing was useless. This scene could be completely removed from the movie and have 0 impact on the story.

Doom85

I need to look back and see what the IMF female death rate versus guys is for this series. That they even call it out WITHIN the film is an interesting meta commentary on how these types of series end up (Bond is pretty similar I think) when they run long enough.

Well, Alec Baldwin’s character died in 6, though it’s practically forgotten almost immediately. Like, I know he wasn’t a member of the crew, and they had to immediately deal with the nukes, but still it was kind of odd. They also never refer to where Brandt (Jeremy Renner’s character) went. Since I doubt Renner will be in good enough shape to physically appear in much capacity in 8 (unless I’m mistaken about how quickly his recovery is going), it would be nice to have some acknowledgment of where he is as they never allude to him in 6 or 7.

I dunno if MI really earned a rep of killing off tons of female characters. Maybe within the first three films (two in the first film, and Keri Russell’s character in 3), but none died in 4-6 (I’m not counting the record shop girl in 5 who had like ten seconds of screentime). Felt like this film kind of forced that theme by adding in Ethan‘s backstory. Luther even says in 6 that Ethan was only serious about two women, his ex-wife and Ilsa, and yeah maybe Ethan never told Luther about his SO before he was recruited, but it still feels kinda retcon-y. Not a huge deal though since they need to justify why Gabriel should feel like an even more important threat than Solomon Lane and the Syndicate themselves.

Hell, both female villains survive this one. I kind of like Paris surviving, it subverts the “redemption equals death” trope which has become so predictable it rivals the “mentor must die” trope, plus the film leaves it ambiguous if she saves Ethan and Grace because Ethan had spared her, or only because Gabriel attacked her for “knowing” she would betray him (which means Gabriel and the Entity played themselves).

In 5, he put everything on the line with a bluff to Solomon Lane in order to save Benji, and the start of 6 had him losing plutonium cores to the enemy purely to save Luther. It‘s even discussed frequently in 6 how Ethan can’t put the mission above his loved ones and friends, and whether that’s a strength or weakness. I dunno, feels on brand for Ethan to me. Sure, he barely knows Grace, but I think he feels bad a civilian is being pulled into this regardless of her criminal behavior (reminding him of his criminal past too).

The only time Hunt’s character got overpraised to me was in 5 when Baldwin’s character Hunley suddenly tells the British Prime Minister that Hunt is “the manifest of destiny” and is near unstoppable. Wait, what? Hunley had been confident the entire film up to this point that he could track down and arrest Ethan, where did this sudden “OMG, Ethan can’t be stopped!” mentality come from?!

Top Bottom