• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Teenagers Protest a Transgender Student’s Use of the Girls’ Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

She's not a man, so yes there is.

There's no transgender restroom, and she was genetically born a man, has yet to remove the defining sexual organ, so what hypothetical harm are you suggesting would come from this student using the same restroom they have probably been using their entire life? Since you seem to be content with putting the hypothetical inconveniencing of one person over several who are on record as uncomfortable.

"Hey, I'll use your preferred pronouns, but what I really think is..."

A person can think what they want. Nothing wrong with that.

You're saying you've never had thoughts that others on this board would disagree with the same way people on here deal with gender stuff? I really doubt it.

I disagree with the media stuff, but I don't have a problem with the issue at hand.

Don't care about bathrooms, locker rooms are a complicated situation, and the school did offer her a room, so I don't think anyone's in the wrong.

She's a girl. She should be able to use the girls locker room or restroom
I've got a question. The article says she began identifying as a girl at age 13. Let's say a kid began identifying as a girl tomorrow (how about an 18 year old) but still wore traditional male clothing, should she still be allowed to go into the girl's room? Or how about if the girl we're talking about here 'identified as a girl' but still wore all men's clothing. How does that work?

Izuna

Banned
Then why single out the transgender girl? Why not send all the girls to the boys locker room if this is the solution?

Okay the issue here is that for generations it has not been "civilised" to share a restroom with the opposite sex. Obviously there's an issue here as people brought up that way aren't comfortable. That's basically everyone who isn't transgender or has been thoroughly educated on the issues that affect them.

Basically, for everyone else, they deal with it from having empathy first, not actual understanding. And that empathy is lessoned. It doesn't happen on its own, which is why a school[/i[ should be the perfect place for that education to take place. But it's not.

I've got a question. The article says she began identifying as a girl at age 13. Let's say a kid began identifying as a girl tomorrow (how about an 18 year old) but still wore traditional male clothing, should she still be allowed to go into the girl's room? Or how about if the girl we're talking about here 'identified as a girl' but still wore all men's clothing. How does that work?

Some places, in order for some policy to work for you, you gotta be identified as trans by an external body. I don't know if it has changed but in the UK it was (at least) a case where you had to go two years "living as a girl" for it to not be an offense and to be able to write down female on certain things. I don't know the full details, but I'd imagine that it changes for different states.

But above all, the school itself can choose to have its own policy that is more open or equal to the rights proposed by federal policy, but not any less. So like, the school can say "as long as this child identifies as a specific gender and we are informed prior, they can immediately use facilities for that gender" -- if they want to.

We should be done here. As a parent, i wouldn't want a male, regardless of identity or orientation, in the locker room or bathroom with my teen daughter. Hell, I'd be very uncomfortable changing in front of a male identifying woman.

Well, as the parent of a transgendered child, I say "go to hell" and this conversation is from from "done here"

Kite

She's a girl. She should be able to use the girls locker room or restroom

A girl with a penis, locker rooms are separated by gender for a reason. I won't blame the high school girts for being uncomfortable around someone who has the outward appearance of a guy in their locker room.

A person can think what they want. Nothing wrong with that.

You're saying you've never had thoughts that others on this board would disagree with the same way people on here deal with gender stuff? I really doubt it.

I disagree with the media stuff, but I don't have a problem with the issue at hand.

What? How is there nothing wrong with thinking and believing harmful things.

Dragon

Banned
There's no transgender restroom, and she was genetically born a man, has yet to remove the defining sexual organ, so what hypothetical harm are you suggesting would come from this student using the same restroom they have probably been using their entire life? Since you seem to be content with putting the hypothetical inconveniencing of one person over several who are on record as uncomfortable.

Do you think the boys are going to be more acceptable of her than the girls? Seriously? Being uncomfortable is fine, really, especially if it's their first time encountering someone. Being a jerk to them is a different beast though and that's what these girls are being.

acrid

Banned
We shouldn't be done here because disgusting transphobia like yours is still prevalent in our society.
Watch the generalizing there friend. I couldnt care less how someone lives their life. But if my underage daughter could possibly be in physical danger, i have a problem with it. Call it a trust issue. I dont trust people. Period.

devonodev

Girls feel uncomfortable changing in front of someone with a man's body, there's nothing wrong or unusual about that.

She should either use the men's room, or her own private room which she was offered.

User1608

Banned
I disagree with that. I would never call a transgender something outside their preferred gender, but when you get into stuff that affects other people like a public bathroom, I don't think just her opinion should be taken into account.
Tell us how you really feel, seriously. What is she going to do?

Hollycat

I can only give you my personal experience. I started using the women's restroom after I've been out for a while, I had started hormones, and gotten some more feminine clothes. At this point there's no doubt that she's female. She should be able to use the women's restroom

No, they don't, and to do it with such a display shows a lack of empathy to an obscene degree.
If a teenage girl were to see my dick in a locker room I would be a paedophile. But its okay that they see this persons dick? If there was no dick involved then sure, use the locker room, but she has a penis, and the teenage girls saw it.

A girl with a penis, locker rooms are separated by gender for a reason. I won't blame the high school girts for being uncomfortable around someone who has the outward appearance of a guy in their locker room.

Fine, be uncomfortable, but then how about trying out some education on the matter, some empathy, and not school wide protests of the highest assholish order.

Nafai1123

Banned
Watch the generalizing there friend. I couldnt care less how someone lives their life. But if my underage daughter could possibly be in physical danger, i have a problem with it. Call it a trust issue. I dont trust people. Period.

Are you seriously implying that a transgendered woman is dangerous? Like...seriously?

cameron

What danger is there?

If a teenage girl were to see my dick in a locker room I would be a paedophile. But its okay that they see this persons dick? If there was no dick involved then sure, use the locker room, but she has a penis, and the teenage girls saw it.

See, education is extremely important.

The fuck is this? If a teenage girl saw your dick you'd be a pedophile, because I'm assuming you're an adult and way past high school age, but if they saw another high schooler's penis and she's a girl it's.......what, exactly?

I put confidence in the fear high school students have of being punished.

I think you are overthinking just how fearful some students are of being punished, and how subtle bullying and rejection can be. Students can be quite cruel while being able to skirt being caught for anything.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

It's far more likely for a trans people to be sexually assaulted than for a trans person to sexually assault someone.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Africanus

So why do you trust the students who already associate with her?
And what physical danger does a transgender student present?

User1608

Banned
Are you implying something? No need to beat around the bush.

kinggroin

Banned
Do transgender people have the opposite gender brain?

I don't know shit about shit, and don't know any of the PC way of talking about it, so please take my promise of not meaning harm to be genuine.

So the question. A male born person that identifies as female - do they actually have a female brain? Just curious.

Why do (underage) transgender girls pose a danger to your (underage) cis daughter?

NastyBook

02transstudent-image-master675.jpg
This image looks mad onion-ish to me. Like, that's not her and a douchebag holding a sign behind her, but actors or something. Weird.

Izuna

Banned
Girls feel uncomfortable changing in front of someone with a man's body, there's nothing wrong or unusual about that.

She should either use the men's room, or her own private room which she was offered.

So...

"You make other people uncomfortable... please could you do your private business elsewhere?"

--

I wouldn't want a boy in the same toilets as my daughter in a primary school, but if there was a transgender child there -- I'd just have to explain the situation for what it is. Not, "some girls have penises". The school needs to figure out how to educate those girls according to its views so this poor teen doesn't have to.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Please explain how this transgendered individual is dangerous

I can only give you my personal experience. I started using the women's restroom after I've been out for a while, I had started hormones, and gotten some more feminine clothes. At this point there's no doubt that she's female. She should be able to use the women's restroom
Here's the thing....there's biological females that identify as girls that dress in traditional boy's clothing.Everyone agrees with that, right? They're of course allowed to use the girl's bathroom and locker room. Using the reasoning in this thread so should a transgender student that identifies as a girl but still dresses like a boy, right? It would be intolerant not to allow her she's a girl since she identifies as one. That's what youre all saying.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This image looks mad onion-ish to me. Like, that's not her and a douchebag holding a sign behind her, but actors or something. Weird.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it's the framing and two mics shoved in front that seal the deal on making it look surreal.

Izuna

Banned
Are you implying something? No need to beat around the bush.

I know what he is implying...

That perverts would be able to identify, take advantage of the lack of discrimination in an utopia for transgender people, and wouldn't want that to even be an issue.

Like, as if, that scenario is far more realistic than a lesbian assaulting another girl.

In which case, why not make sure lesbians go into different toilets?

Fuck it, teach them all Judo and put stickers on people so you know who to be careful around. Let's just assume everyone except his daughter is a sex offender. World is MAD scary.

--

Truth is the transgender person is for more scared of what actually is the reality of how they are treated.

Savitar

The neutral room was a fair compromise to make in my view. I can see people being on both sides being quite uncomfortable no matter what is done regardless.

In the end don't believe there is going to be any real winner out of this.

norm9

Not being a fan of public locker rooms, I'd be okay if everyone got their own private room to change in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom