• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA 2023 year in review! The N64 core, the Sega Saturn core, Neo Geo fun, tons of arcade stuff and more. One hell of a year

VGEsoterica

Since I know a certain amount of Gaf loves FPGA stuff and I love gaming preservation stuff I thought it would be fun to take a look back at the entirety of 2023 for MiSTer FPGA because it's been one hell of a year for FPGA preservation.

The year started off with playable Sega Saturn cores until we got to late spring when suddenly Neo Geo CD just showed up out of the blue. Then in June FPGAZumSpass announced he was working on a Nintendo 64 core...and today every retail game boots and tons are playable. Add in a metric crap ton of arcade cores (Simpsons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Battletoads, Super Contra just to name a few) and a lot of hardware and other bits here and there...and its been a great year to be a MiSTer owner

So Gaf...who's been following along with MiSTer? or who bought themselves one for a self xmas gift?

With this many beat 'em ups joining the fun on MISTer FPGA, I am curious if the system will ever support Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon on Cave 68000 Arcade System. Also curious if Namco System 12's Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag Tournament would be possible on the system? Still, it has been quite a year for the developers of these cores and MISTer FPGA fans.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
So Gaf...who's been following along with MiSTer? or who bought themselves one for a self xmas gift?
crickets GIF

Why do you post this shit on every MiSTer thread?

I set myself up with a MiSTer this winter, and impressed with the N64 progress, and I've never had a Saturn, so I got to play with it also. Impressive stuff from Robert, if he got it into update_all by Christmas it would be some accomplishment.

3do next, I've gotten my port of DOOM ready to go... And by go I mean run at 10fps because the real hardware sucks!

Last edited:

linko9

Will the mister ever do the latest CAVE boards (Mushihimesama onwards)? Or will that have to wait for the next iteration? Definitely want to pick one up some day, but that would be a major incentive.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Depending on build high 3XX to mid 5XX USD
I mean I know for what it does, that's not a bad price. But that financial barrier is what's always stopped me from picking one of these up.

That and I would miss certain benefits of emulation, namely retro achievements.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yo, I’ve been loving your update posts and vids. The MiSTer is the greatest thing I got this year. Pairing it with a good CRT or PVM is just so unbelievably good. I’ve been crunching through arcade games I never got a chance to play a lot lately.

I finally started messing with the Saturn and N64, and while I’m really impressed at how far they’ve come, they’re still not at a point where it’s a console replacement for me (unlike basically almost every single other core).

For anyone who is on the fence, I highly recommend it.

VGEsoterica

Yo, I’ve been loving your update posts and vids. The MiSTer is the greatest thing I got this year. Pairing it with a good CRT or PVM is just so unbelievably good. I’ve been crunching through arcade games I never got a chance to play a lot lately.

I finally started messing with the Saturn and N64, and while I’m really impressed at how far they’ve come, they’re still not at a point where it’s a console replacement for me (unlike basically almost every single other core).

For anyone who is on the fence, I highly recommend it.
I keep one of my MiSTers permanently hooked up to my 20” pvm and it’s just perfect there

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I keep one of my MiSTers permanently hooked up to my 20” pvm and it’s just perfect there
That’s the move. If I had infinite money, I’d get a second MiSTer and another PVM and keep it permanently in Tate.

Random question. Do you know if there are any plans for developers to implement save states into cores that don’t already have them? I look at something like the PSX core, and it’s so fully fleshed out compared to some of the 16-bit cores, even.

Thank you for making this video! I’ve been interested in this since 2018 and have had a hard time keeping up with the latest news. I’ve been watching a lot of Mister videos lately and really appreciate all of the time you put into this. I can’t wait to get one!

Also, a huge thank you for mentioning the NeoGeo CD and the recent Samurai Shodown RPG translation. I was super curious about that.

Last edited:

Beechos

As far as I know, lower to zero lag time, almost/perfect emulation of the original game.

I see basically enthusiast level of emulation. Pretty cool but too rich for my blood for something I prob wont even notice. Thank goodness I'm not an enthusist of anything.

Tarin02543

Will the mister ever do the latest CAVE boards (Mushihimesama onwards)? Or will that have to wait for the next iteration? Definitely want to pick one up some day, but that would be a major incentive.

Maybe MARS FPGA but it has a vaporware smell

Last edited:

Tarin02543

What is the benefit of this over a tradional emulator via pc or something like a pi?

Zero lag and accuracy. Yesterday I played Sonic 2 on my mister using my childhood megadrive controller (through a SNAC adapter which bypasses usb and talks directly to the fpga logic) and can tell you it is night and day.

I've now played couple of games on the Pocket. And haver zero issues. It just works.

I definitely get me the Pocket Dock in the future. I like the simplicity of playing games on an Fpga device. Configurate it one time and the play play play. Without issues in Framerates etc.

SScorpio

I've now played couple of games on the Pocket. And haver zero issues. It just works.

I definitely get me the Pocket Dock in the future. I like the simplicity of playing games on an Fpga device. Configurate it one time and the play play play. Without issues in Framerates etc.
Be aware that the Pocket Dock is limited in terms of what controllers it works with. And the Pocket won't get heavier cores like N64, PlayStation, and Saturn. So it's not a complete replacement for the MiSTer.

MayauMiao

I see basically enthusiast level of emulation. Pretty cool but too rich for my blood for something I prob wont even notice. Thank goodness I'm not an enthusist of anything.
Same here. The unit price is still ridiculously high and I rather stick to software emulation as I am not too bothered with accuracy.

Let's hope for DE-10 like board alternatives at cheaper price.

That's fine. You mentioned the pi though. A potato PC.

For software emulators, you need at least a quad-core (as in full-on performance cores) to get accurate, lag-free emulation. And maybe it's not the case for you, but that bit of lag is the difference between a game feeling right and feeling off, especially when it comes to fighters, shmups, and anything else where frames are everything.

Robert has released a new version of the N64 core with CPU overclock by 30%... up to 50% improvement in some games!. You need a nightly MiSTer build for it to work, but it's pretty good!

Last edited:
Top Bottom