• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MiSTer FPGA Jan news; more N64 updates with new features, Saturn is getting better, RetroTink 4K integration and more

VGEsoterica

Since I know a lot of GAF gets into the FPGA side of things whether it be on MiSTer or Analogue I do some news round ups on all the cool stuff thats come to MiSTer in a month. And for the month kicking off 2024 its been a hell of a four weeks.

The Nintendo 64 core got updated 4x times and brought LOD (level of detail) to the party and in many games now just feels like using real hardware...and even has a Turbo overclocked core now. Just wildly impressive just how good this core is getting

Saturn joined the party two with three new core updates after not a ton of movement (dev lived in Ukraine, so 100% understandable) and has seen some massive improvements to game compatibility and a LOT of bug fixes.

RetroTink 4K was integrated into MiSTer with direct video and metadata out giving you a way to scale 4K video over HDMI but with the 240p signal

Plus a ton of other stuff.

GAF...do you have a MiSTer? If not this is def the year to pick one up

I barely get the news out and a new Saturn core comes out 2 hours later

Last edited:
I want one, but have no idea how to get started. I'll have to do some video watchin' methinks.

The bare minimum of what you would need in my opinion is the DE10-Nano, a USB Hub, and 128 MB SDRAM to enjoy all cores. You can get the hub and SDRAM from misteraddons or check around for another vendor. Without the SDRAM you'll be locked out of being able to use many cores and the USB Hub will save a lot of aggravation you'd otherwise have with setup and updates.

There's another FPGA device coming out this year called MARS which will have a console form factor and claims that it will be able to support a Dreamcast core, but there's not too much known about it yet. It's expected to be $700 so quite a bit more than a MiSTer even if you went the prebuilt route with all the bells and whistles.

Top Bottom