• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker's Terra Battle (iOS/Android) detailed [Official site up, details + videos]

I don't mind F2P apps, such as Puzzle & Dragons, Brave Frontier, Love Live, etc. as long as they're fun. It gives me something to do/check in on daily, and there's really no need to spend any real money if you don't want to [although I have been guilty of spending a bit in the past]. That's assuming the actual game is...you know...fun to play.

If this one gets localized, and it looks enjoyable, I might give it a try.

The problem is, personally, I don't feel like playing a RPG 5 minutes per day; puzzle games or rhythm games are fine, but RPGs... I prefer to spend hours on them, if they are enjoyable, because I want to keep following the story, what characters will do, and so on. A F2P RPG never clicked on me.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201408/26059856.html

Some tiny pics of gameplay. Can't really make out anything. Lol. Maybe they'll put up an article later.

Asy6CsE.jpg

oQFoz8h.jpg

Izuna

Banned
I hate that this is what Mistwalker is doing, instead of Blue Dragon 2 or Lost Odyssey 2. Or hell, Cry On.... 😓

They cancelled that one on Christmas...

jRPG

I really adore the artwork. But those screenshots don't make it look like something I would enjoy, sadly.

Wow, it does look crappy. If this game was Gung-Ho's, I wouldn't have any problem, but it's Sakaguchi's, and I liked his recent games. This is even worse looking than ASH (in the battle field).

Fbh

Damn, that looks terrible.

F2P and "energy system" are already bad. But if the pictures above are how the game looks that's really dissapointing, a square with the picture on it?, really?. That looks low budget even for a mobile game

duckroll

Wow, it does look crappy. If this game was Gung-Ho's, I wouldn't have any problem, but it's Sakaguchi's, and I liked his recent games. This is even worse looking than ASH (in the battle field).

Well, let's make some things clear. Blue Dragon was developed by Artoon, Lost Odyssey was developed by Feel Plus, ASH was developed by Racjin, Away was developed by Artoon, Blue Dragon Plus was developed by Brownie Brown, Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow was developed by tri-Crescendo, and The Last Story was developed by AQ Interactive. The cancelled Cry-On was being developed by Cavia at the time.

Here are the games Mistwalker developed on their own without any development assistance:

2kbdZaO.jpg

k63UXGO.jpg

duckroll

Complete Download-Starter goals from the trailer:

100k - Nobuo Uematsu will compose addition tracks
200k - Hideo Minaba will design a new character
300k - Manga artist Nakaba Suzuki joins the project
400k - Artist Hitoshi Yoneda joins the project
500k - Ex-Artoon developers Naoto Oshima and Manabu Kusunoki join the project
600k - Kimihiko Fujisaka will design additional characters
700k - An Online Battle Mode will be added to the game
800k - An artbook for the game will be produced
900k - The Digital Soundtrack will be released, free for an limited duration
1mil - A live concert event helmed by Uematsu will be held
1.1m - Sakaguchi will be designed as a boss character in the game
1.2m - Nobuo Uematsu will compose more additional tracks
1.3m - A strategy guide for the game will be produced
1.4m - A collectible figure will be produced
1.5m - Yasumi Matsuno joins the project to develop new scenarios, characters, and adding to the world setting. Yoshitaka Amano also joins the project.
2mil - A console MMORPG called Terra Battle World will be developed

The character art is great and I'm in for Mistwalker, although the SRPG and F2P stuff are red flags.

I'm not instant against F2P, mind you, but Japanese companies have so far seemed to be the worst at it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

1.5m - Yasumi Matsuno joins the project to develop new scenarios, characters, and adding to the world setting. Yoshitaka Amano also joins the project.

Is there a stretch goal for making "The Last Story 2"?

kadotsu

Banned
That doesn't look half bad and the download stretch goal system is neat. I hope that someday the Jp. mobile market can get past the cheap 1 frame card battle animation.

Reveirg

I admit things like "Yasumi Matsuno" and "console game" make me giddy, but this list looks like it was made up randomly in 15 minutes. Considering the F2P nature of the game, doesn't the number of downloads mean nothing concrete money-wise?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I admit things like "Yasumi Matsuno" and "console game" make me giddy, but this list looks like it was made up randomly in 15 minutes. Considering the F2P nature of the game, doesn't the number of downloads mean nothing concrete money-wise?

They probably have an agreement with a publisher that if they get 2 million people to download the game they'd deem there is enough interest to fund the console game.

duckroll

The official site is also up: http://www.terra-battle.com/en/

There's a download counter system in place to show the progress! Lol.

http://www.terra-battle.com/en/gamesystem.html

There's also a bunch of videos and explanations for the gameplay. Basically each character in the game has up to 3 job classes they can change into, each with individual skills. You go into each battle with a party of 6, and each turn you have 4 seconds to move your character around anywhere on the map. Positioning will result in attacks, chain combos, skill activations, etc.

http://www.terra-battle.com/en/downloadstarter/

The Download-Starter page shows more details on the goals, and it seems that some of the stuff in the trailer was actually incomplete. Lol.

500k - Manabu Kusunoki join the project to design additional characters
700k - Ex-Artoon developer Naoto Oshima joins to develop a co-op mode for the game
1mil - A live concert event helmed by Uematsu will be held, a versus mode (bluetooth) will be added to the game, attack illustrations for each character and job class will be added to the game

Reveirg

Thanks for the info Duckroll!

It's a shame that the gameplay and overall feel of the game look so bad. I actually really like the artwork and music. Let's hope they hit 2mil and that this actually becomes a fully-fledged game. (not holding my breath...)

I have nothing against f2p games in principle, but I refuse to play any more stamina based games, especially when they rely on microtransactions to make the game more playable.

Why the fuck isn't Nintendo paying Mistwalker to make another game for them...

And really, if Sakaguchi wants to make a really successful mobile game why doesn't he go the route of Inafune and just rip himself off with an oldschool FF-style RPG? Sure it'd likely be more expensive to produce than this, but they could use those illustrations as the art for the monsters in battle, and it'd probably sell like gangbusters.

duckroll

Each time any publisher teams with Mistwalker, they end up eating a long ass development period for game which comes out too late, with lukewarm critical reception, and low to average sales. Mistwalker can't develop their own console or portable games either, they're just a tiny team of designers and managers. Probably less than 10 people at this point. They'll have to contract the actual development to other studios. Honestly, if Nintendo (or any publisher) wanted more games, it would be better to just deal with developers director, rather than go through Mistwalker at this point. Sakaguchi's name has proven to not be a real draw anymore, so why do they need a middleman?

Mistwalker stopped mattering in the console space or even dedicated handheld space when Sakaguchi proved to the world his name wasn't a draw.

When your ideas aren't commercial success elixirs, and you're aren't exactly known for great project management and leadership, why else would publishers even bother with you when they can just work directly with studios that are actually making the game?

I'd trust Media Vision to come up with a AAA JRPG before Mistwalker does.

Nemecyst

2 mil download goal to assemble a team that's all kinds of epic, only for a game that's all kinds of meh. At least the music was great. Gameplay, however, not so much.

Well, let's make some things clear. Blue Dragon was developed by Artoon, Lost Odyssey was developed by Feel Plus, ASH was developed by Racjin, Away was developed by Artoon, Blue Dragon Plus was developed by Brownie Brown, Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow was developed by tri-Crescendo, and The Last Story was developed by AQ Interactive. The cancelled Cry-On was being developed by Cavia at the time.

I know, but nothing stopped Mistwalker to team up again with another developer. Probably they wanted to go on the cheap route.

At least the music is not completely garbage.

duckroll

I know, but nothing stopped Mistwalker to team up again with another developer. Probably they wanted to go on the cheap route.

Erm. Money does. Who's going to pay for it? Mistwalker only teams with other developers when they have a publisher funding the project with a real budget. When they publish stuff themselves, they have nothing.

Erm. Money does. Who's going to pay for it? Mistwalker only teams with other developers when they have a publisher funding the project with a real budget. When they publish stuff themselves, they have nothing.

Don't publishers exist in the mobile market as well? Has no one accepted to fund Mistalwalker's project? So the options are 2: a. Mistwalker wanted to go by themselves; b. no one wanted to fund their project.

duckroll

Don't publishers exist in the mobile market as well? Has no one accepted to fund Mistalwalker's project? So the options are 2: a. Mistwalker wanted to go by themselves; b. no one wanted to fund their project.

Most mobile stuff is self-published. That's the best business avenue because you own your own IP, mobile budgets are generally low, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a big publisher for a mobile project. The more likely scenario is that Mistwalker is unable to get anyone to fund console or portable games anymore, so they're turning to low budget mobile games where they can at least make some money from. It's a sad reality but that's how it is.

Most mobile stuff is self-published. That's the best business avenue because you own your own IP, mobile budgets are generally low, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to get a big publisher for a mobile project. The more likely scenario is that Mistwalker is able to get anyone to fund console or portable games anymore, so they're turning to low budget mobile games where they can at least make some money from. It's a sad reality but that's how it is.

So, they decided to go to the cheap route ;)

zoukka

These projects are just depressing. No matter how much money and talent is poured into them, they are bound to be shit.

saher

Banned
Well Puzzle and Dragons is over 30 million downloads in japan only, i cant see why this game cant reach 2mil despite how cheap it looks.

Top Bottom