• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "Retro (the developer) might be a good fit for Zelda."

BY2K

Membero Americo
iQuqJoCraxZJu.gif

DO IT! DO IT, RETRO!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Retro environment design + Zelda..I'm okay with this! First person would be cool too, honestly. I just want to see something really different, yet familiar.

Then again they might as well just make a Zelda-like game. It'd suck if they were just code-monkeys like Grezzo remaking OOT for the 3DS.

So I take back what I said about never playing Zelda again. Zelda with Metroid Prime level design and graphics is something that's kind of hard to fathom.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm OK with this.

When developing new games, I don't think Retro are that good (MP2 and 3 pale in comparison to MP1 or Super Metroid), but when it's about reviving franchises, or bringing back the "core" of the franchise, they are really awesome, Metroid prime 1 is the best revival of Metroid there could ever be, and DKCR was much better than the old games, but it still felt like the old games.

IMO, they should revive Zelda, but make only one game, so they show EAD how it's done.

prepare the initiations drench the initiates in the liqueur of the grayshield beneath kyoto and then throw them into the delivery caverns to broil until ready and there you have it a retro ready to accept gifts of grace from the spongy ones and make a game, ingest the gifts, give them tribute and now the sons of the star will be sons of the shroom

aonuma has a timeline and it's written in toadstool ink on the cups of delicately pointing platters of fungi and he beckons the one of Retro- to come forth and append his prefix to their suffix and thus with a drop of blood spatting on the soft white surface the ritual is complete

The Legend of Zelda: Divided Unity with first person combat coming soon to Wii U this holiday season $9,000 skulls

GCX

I think the Retro/EAD collaboration in Mario Kart 7 might lead to some interesting results in the future.

Danielsan

I'm OK with this.

When developing new games, I don't think Retro are that good (MP2 and 3 pale in comparison to MP1 or Super Metroid), but when it's about reviving franchises, or bringing back the "core" of the franchise, they are really awesome, Metroid prime 1 is the best revival of Metroid there could ever be, and DKCR was much better than the old games, but it still felt like the old games.

IMO, they should revive Zelda, but make only one game, so they show EAD how it's done.
I'd say Metroid Prime 2 is actually the best Metroid game, but I know that's not a popular opinion. Corruption wasn't great though. Couldn't even bother myself to finish it.

[Nintex]

*reads interview*

“He jokingly mentions retirement to motivate his staff to excel"
Reading Nintendo's response to Kohler's news about Miyamoto's plan to step down from his current role is laughable. I'm sure that during that well thought out interview, with many interesting insights and topics Miyamoto was in fact 'joking'.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm fine with a Retro developed Zelda.

I'm also dying for another 8-bit Zelda a la Megaman 9.

DO BOTH NINTENDO!

Lunar15

Okay. What would Retro bring to the table?

Other than a "fresh perspective" it's hard to tell. But honestly, that's enough. They've proven that they really get level design and how to take a classic franchise and bring it into the modern era.

I love Skyward Sword a ton, but there is still that lingering feeling that Zelda team can't get past their own definition of what a Zelda game has to be. By giving it to a new studio (anyone), I think you could get something that feels perhaps a tad fresher.

Other than a "fresh perspective" it's hard to tell. But honestly, that's enough. They've proven that they really get level design and how to take a classic franchise and bring it into the modern era.

I love Skyward Sword a ton, but there is still that lingering feeling that Zelda team can't get past their own definition of what a Zelda game has to be. By giving it to a new studio (anyone), I think you could get something that feels perhaps a tad fresher.

Would they be allowed to do anything of any note with that fresh perspective, though? That's my question. I don't see how this would be a situation beyond, "Great Nintendo team makes great Zelda game."

[Nintex];33435103 said:
*reads interview*

Reading Nintendo's response to Kohler's news about Miyamoto's plan to step down from his current role is laughable. I'm sure that during that well thought out interview, with many interesting insights and topics Miyamoto was in fact 'joking'.

Miyamoto: The fact of the matter is that, inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire. I’m repeating that message. But the reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers.

I'm not sure "joking" is the right word, but it's definitely not a declarative "I'm retiring soon."

Okay. What would Retro bring to the table?

Amazing level design, artstyle and a fresh perspective. I think if the Zelda team acted as directors and created the general direction/bigger picture while Retro created all the pieces and put them together. It could make a great game.

Not here for the SS hate.

Himself

Word is bond.

What Retro pulled off with the Metroid franchise is some sort of gaming miracle. A Miraculous Reception for the gaming world. Or like Doc Ellis pitching a no hitter on LSD. Retro is fully capable of this sort of stuff.

scitek

A first-person Zelda wouldn't be a bad mix with motion controls. Anyone that played Red Steel 2 knows what I mean. It works better with the pointer, that's for sure.

Midou

Retro did an amazing job with DKCR, my favorite Wii game still. They were able to give the genuine feel and difficulty of old school DKC, with a fresh coat of paint. I would love to see them do a more "hardcore" Zelda, and I mean that in the sense of gameplay, not story, blood, etc.

Top Bottom