• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "Retro (the developer) might be a good fit for Zelda."

Lunar15

Would they be allowed to do anything of any note with that fresh perspective, though? That's my question. I don't see how this would be a situation beyond, "Great Nintendo team makes great Zelda game."

Well, Miyamoto seems to be noting on the "western perspective". I think that Nintendo realizes that Zelda is more popular in the west than it is in the east, and that even western audiences are being slowly drawn away by more western RPG's like The Elder Scrolls. I think that if they were to do a collaboration with Retro, you'd see some shifts in formula. I'm not saying that it would go out and be like Skyrim or anything. Just that they might get some more western sensibilities in with the series.

They'd only be willing to go with Retro if they DID do something interesting with it, I believe. The Zelda team is competent: SS has some fantastic gameplay. The only reason they'd turn to retro is to perhaps look at zelda from a different angle.

GCX

Would they be allowed to do anything of any note with that fresh perspective, though? That's my question. I don't see how this would be a situation beyond, "Great Nintendo team makes great Zelda game."
If Zelda is ever given to Retro, at that point Zelda team probably acknowledges the fact that the series needs a new perspective they can't provide.

Just let Retro do everything!!!

Retro is a very talented developer but no thank you. They would not be nearly as great if it were not for Nintendo keeping them focused and directing their efforts in the right direction.

A first-person Zelda wouldn't be a bad mix with motion controls. Anyone that played Red Steel 2 knows what I mean. It works better with the pointer, that's for sure.
Why does everyone seem to think that it would be a 1st person Zelda just because they developed Metroid Prime series. The first person idea was Miyamoto's anyway if I'm remembering correctly.

Jay Sosa

Other than a "fresh perspective" it's hard to tell. But honestly, that's enough. They've proven that they really get level design and how to take a classic franchise and bring it into the modern era.

too lazy to write my own response. I agree with everything he said :D

Not sure if I want it to be FPS but hell why not. Pretty sure if they'd make on it be third person, just saying.

Danielsan

I actually should have read the interview more closely. I want EAD to be completely hands off and give Retro free reign. I certainly don't want Retro only doing level design and various production work.

I'd definitely be interested in what they could do with Zelda.

I agree though, NO FIRST PERSON. Dear god would I hate that. I'm not sure they would even consider that, though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Please let this happen. Aonuma, I love you, but you're too close to the leash. It's a western franchise anyway.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Retro could be a good development horse, but I would want all the actual art and design to still come from the Japanese end of Nintendo.

And I fucking adore Retro's designs in Metroid Prime.

They're just not right for the quirk that Zelda is known for.

wsippel

Banned
Keep Zelda at EAD (and Grezzo I guess). Let Retro do a western game. They're Nintendo's only relevant western studio after all. And Sakamoto should do the next Metroid, with Team Ninja or without them - fuck the Other M haters. And since that came up in the past as well: No, Monolith shouldn't do Zelda, either. Monolith should do whatever the fuck Takahashi and Honne want - under SPD's supervision, of course. And share their tech, as it's awesome. And assuming Ueda joined Nintendo (a stretch, but anyway), he should stay as far away from Zelda as possible, too.

Fuck no, go back to Metroid or do something with Star Fox, F-Zero or something new, just stay the fuck away from Zelda please.

I don't understand this mentality. Zelda has so many great games that some experimentation is hardly going to affect the overall quality of the games. Meanwhile, there's been so few proper F-Zero and Star Fox games, that you want new ones to risk Retro not 'getting it'? Weird.

I'd take Nintendo returning to F-Zero and Star Fox, and letting Retro make Zelda, any day.

I'd MUCH rather have Retro create something new, though.

If Zelda is ever given to Retro, at that point Zelda team probably acknowledges the fact that the series needs a new perspective they can't provide.

Or perhaps they collaborate on Zelda because the Wii U requires a lot more man power, time and effort than the Zelda team can give it solely while also making 3DS Zelda titles.

Again the key word here is collaboration. So it would be a collaboration between Retro and likely the Zelda team it would not be given to Retro. Also no game developed by Retro has ever been 'given' to them. They've had extremely heavy supervision by other Nintendo developers for all of their games.

TunaLover

He is insane, I like the lighthearted feel of Zelda, goofy enemy design, Zelda in western developers could be terrible, we don´t need a beloved serie become gritty =/

Miyamoto: First of all, let me talk a little bit more in detail about how we collaborated with Retro Studios this time. Of course, they were taking care of the game designing aspect. Specifically, they were taking care of the design of the courses and the artwork about that. But when it comes to the gameplay and the control mechanism itself, that’s being taken care of by EAD once again.

As much as I like Retro, this must be frustrating to have to deal with.

Shanadeus

Banned
No thanks.

__Steampunk_Link__by_Alyxium.png

yQmZS.jpg

steampunklandscapezl2.jpg

Steampunk Zelda.

Aeana

Retro could be a good development horse, but I would want all the actual art and design to still come from the Japanese end of Nintendo.

And I fucking adore Retro's designs in Metroid Prime.

They're just not right for the quirk that Zelda is known for.

DKCR has a style that is totally different from Metroid Prime and I personally adore it. I am not going to count out their ability to do Zelda.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If it ever happened. You would get a first-person Zelda oblivion style without voice acting.

Oh yeah. Sales are going to be through the roof.

Aeana

Keep Zelda at EAD (and Grezzo I guess). Let Retro do a western game. They're Nintendo's only relevant western studio after all. And Sakamoto should do the next Metroid, with Team Ninja or without them - fuck the Other M haters. And since that came up in the past as well: No, Monolith shouldn't do Zelda, either. Monolith should do whatever the fuck Takahashi and Honne want - under SPD's supervision, of course. And share their tech, as it's awesome. And assuming Ueda joined Nintendo (a stretch, but anyway), he should stay as far away from Zelda as possible, too.

Monolith kinda already did Zelda. Like half of Skyward Sword's development staff is from Monolith, including many of the key people from Monolith.

Retro/Zelda: Link wakes up and gets ready to go to anme school and his friends are all there and they represent their roles and my role and his role and he opens his closet and pulls the skin off Link the quintessential's corpse and gets dressed "C-coming, senpai!" he comically stammers and comiclly adjusts the skin mask because he's now Link today

the streets are filled with plastic and cardboard sarcophagi with freeze dried snakes and drakes and chiefs and ezios and marios everywhere and they all get peeled off as the dead corpse is dropped into the sidewalk like a vegetable.

a man, a familiar man, with dark hair and strong face, gnawing on a mario skull asks if you'd like a recipe and you say no no no no no no you're full

Azure J

Welp, if they get Zelda, it's official, no room for any other big adventure series taking a different approach. The Startropics by Retro dream is dead. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What he's saying is HD graphics are hard, and Western studios seem to have a good pipeline for that sort of thing, so why not.

(disclaimer: this probably isn't what he's saying)

Oh my God PLEASE YES. Last time Nintendo outsorced Zelda to 3rd party (Capcom) MAGIC HAPPENED (Minish Cap).

Please, please, please Mr Miyamoto-san give the Wii U Zelda to Retro!

This could save the Zelda franchise and possibly revitalize it all the same. I would LOVE for Retro to have this series without any influence from Aonuma. In fact, let Aonuma do the portable Zeldas and give Retro the chance to do a full console one. There's no doubt it would be dark and epic.

Top Bottom