• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK vs DC Official Thread of T rated goodness and unnecessary konsonant substitution

agrajag

Banned
Nemesis556 said:

I love these. My favorite versions of MK characters:

MK3 Scorpion
MKII Sub-Zero
MK3 Sonya
MK3 Shang Tsung
MKII-3 Shao Kahn is pretty much the same
MKII Baraka
MK3 Kitana
MKII and current Raiden tied
MK3 Jax

so awesome.

anybody who expected this to be a gory as hell typical mortal kombat must not be very bright. i mean, did you REALLY think they were gonna show superman getting his spine ripped out?

Nemesis_

agrajag said:
I love these. My favorite versions of MK characters:

MK3 Scorpion
MKII Sub-Zero
MK3 Sonya
MK3 Shang Tsung
MKII-3 Shao Kahn is pretty much the same
MKII Baraka
MK3 Kitana
MKII and current Raiden tied
MK3 Jax

so awesome.
You know how fucking long it took me?:lol I really should've included the newer Scorpion + Sub Zero incarnations though, instead of using the similar MK1, MK2 + MK3 ones. I think the most awesome ones were Mileena and how she's slowly evolved to be completely original compared to when she was just a palette swap of Kitana.

Xevren

Kind of excited to play this, now that the combat is going back when it used to be fun I want to give it a shot. I hated everything after UMK 3. Hopefully the online aspect won't be borked.

Nemesis_

Xevren said:
Kind of excited to play this, now that the combat is going back when it used to be fun I want to give it a shot. I hated everything after UMK 3. Hopefully the online aspect won't be borked.
Deception was actually pretty decent when I played it online on the PS2. Never got around to trying Armageddon though (wait, did the PS2 version even have online?). Regardless I am confident in Midway's abilities.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
fernoca said:
Some of the replies are as expected (which is why I canceled the thread I was making), so because of that here goes an early edition of:

THE HALL OF MASOKISTS

did we really need a ton of graphics for this thread? I mean seriously now..it's Mortal Kombat. I'm not bashing the game as I pre-ordered it a while ago, but it hard to try to discuss a game when the first thread is like a viral site.

I don't even know how 1/2 of these MK character are still alive or who the end boss is, but that why god created wikipedia.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
jobber said:
did we really need a ton of graphics for this thread? I mean seriously now..it's Mortal Kombat. I'm not bashing the game as I pre-ordered it a while ago, but it hard to try to discuss a game when the first thread is like a viral site.

I don't even know how 1/2 of these MK character are still alive or who the end boss is, but that why god created wikipedia.

superbigrolleyes.gif

Anyway, to be back on topic, picking this up at the request of a friend who loves them some MK and it looks kinda fun in a goofy kinda way. I don't understand why people can embrace the stupid shit Street Fighter IV is doing and not something knowingly tongue in cheek like this installment of MK.

Day one
andrew.gif

HiResDes

McBradders said:
Anyway, to be back on topic, picking this up at the request of a friend who loves them some MK and it looks kinda fun in a goofy kinda way. I don't understand why people can embrace the stupid shit Street Fighter IV is doing and not something knowingly tongue in cheek like this installment of MK.

Day one
andrew.gif
I don't know what stupid shit you are referring to, and are you honestly going to compare the excellent gameplay of Street Fighter to the mediocrity that has been the Mortal Kombat series with the exception of UMK3. Now I'm not hating on MK vs. DC, but lets be honest the gameplay has never been anything more but a shallow gorefest that derives most of its fun from mere shock value and ridiculousness. Street Fighter IV looks to expand on the deep core gameplay of Third Strike, and requires tenfold more strategy to be highly competitive, which is why Street Fighter tournaments have always been the bigger of the two. I don't think you should even mention the two in the same breath.

Amon37

I've seen the fatality and brutality montages on gametrailers and they are way toned down. Pretty lame. For me it's the only reason I play it so this will get a rent at best.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
OXM just gave it an 8.5

"Online play over Live will enhance this game's replayability, but a little more content would've made it an epic crossover"

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Well this seems to be getting very good scores, even tho no big sites have reviews up yet. Im really hoping the gameplay is as much improved as everyone says it is.

HiResDes

ragingadamo said:
OXM just gave it an 8.5

"Online play over Live will enhance this game's replayability, but a little more content would've made it an epic crossover"
OXM is the new GameInformer, they hand out good scores like its their business, and you know what maybe it is...

Recent Review Scores
Mirror's Edge - 9.5
Legendary - 7.5
Smackdown vs. Raw 09' - 8.0
Spiderman Web of Shadows - 8.0

They tend to be on the high side of review spectrum is all I'm saying.

Trojan X

Banned
KiNeSiS said:
This Game Looks To Rock!

If the Euro versions really have the Edited Fatalities thank god for my region free Ps3....

OP what the hell are you talking about MK 4 had The best MK endings in the history of the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilQnuwc7Z0

... Are you kidding me? That was awful...! More like worse voice acting ever. Seriously, I can't believe how much MK have fallen. I'll stick to MK 1, 2 and Ultimate MK3 (though Ultimate is stretching it).

Regarding the PS3, for your knowledge, just hope and pray that the developer do not region lock the game itself.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Trojan X said:
... Are you kidding me? That was awful...! More like worse voice acting ever. Seriously, I can't believe how much MK have fallen. I'll stick to MK 1, 2 and Ultimate MK3 (though Ultimate is stretching it).

Regarding the PS3, for your knowledge, just hope and pray that the developer do not region lock the game itself.

Fallen? No I am dead serious....
Mk 1,2,3 & Ultimate 3 All were campy as hell....
That ending had hilarity by the barrell....
Gore & laughs are the MK trademark since the gore is toned down I'm hoping for humor....

KiNeSiS

Banned
HiResDes said:
OXM is the new GameInformer, they hand out good scores like its their business, and you know what maybe it is...

Recent Review Scores
Smackdown vs. Raw 09' - 8.0

They tend to be on the high side of review spectrum is all I'm saying.

While I do agree w/ some of the titles Smackdown vs Raw 09 does desserve at least an 8.0 Igns 7.8 was a joke.... Give it a rent it is a 8.0-8.5 title best wrestler in years....

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Trojan X said:

I think that's the joke, dude.

fernoca

Mortal Kombat Online held the traditional Fight Night chat, with part of the team that was involded in the game (Ed Boon, Carlos Pesina, etc..)

Overall...
  • Seems that only two (2) Fatalities were censored: The Joker's and Deathstroke.
  • Both were censored because both involved shooting and the ESRB wasn't confortable with it.
  • Censorship involved mostly moving the camera
  • PAL regions will see the uncensored Fatalitles
  • PSNetwork (online multiplayer) is region-locked (NTSC regions against themselves, PAL regions against themselves)
  • Xbox Live (online multiplayer) is not region locked (NTSC can play with PAL)
  • No final decisions what what will wned as DLC (downloadable content), but the team seems excited about the idea of adding Aquaman.
  • Team was limited to 10 charatcers from each side
  • Johnny Cage and Reptile missed the cut because of that
  • Their fate (among other charatcers) is explained in the comic book included with the Kollector's and in the Story Mode.
  • Decided to go back to 2D gameplay (for the most part) because aside going to the MK roots, to make the game easier to get into for comic-book fans that didn't follow or played games.
  • Different controller set-ups were included so people with joysticks could cutomize them the way they liked
  • Dark Kahn won't be a playable character but behaves and acts like a boss in every way
  • 14 arenas in the game, though some include "merged ones" (2 stages from each side together)
  • The arcade ladder picks opponent as random (unlike previous MK games were the ladders were pre-fixed)
  • The ladder also lets you choose to either only fight against MK charatcers, only DC characters..or both.
  • Dark Kahn is also the final boss in any ladder.
  • Original charatcer list/wish list had over 30 characters (including Lobo)
  • Many are quite happy with how Sonya ended being. Playing like a better/faster MK3 Sonya.
  • Sonya was designed by Cayenne 'Cy' Mandua
  • Guardians of the Universe (Ganthet) appear in the game
  • Finish MK Mode to unlock Shao Kahn
  • Finish DC Mode to unlock Darkseid

Overall the chat was ..fun..with the team constantly making jokes, constantly bringing Aquaman and even joking about the chat being rated T, but people from Europe could see the chat with all the cursing.. :p

The games will be in stores this (upcoming) Monday! (Mortal Monday again ;) ..which it's why it ships Sunday)

Guy Legend

fernoca said:
[*]PSNetwork (online multiplayer) is region-locked (NTSC regions against themselves, PAL regions against themselves)
[*]Xbox Live (online multiplayer) is not region locked (NTSC can play with PAL)
[

The Euro version of the game is still supposed to have the uncensored Joke fatality due to the higher age ratings in the rating system. I assume then that XbLive online play will censor for verses matches across regions.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
fernoca said:
Mortal Kombat Online held the traditional Fight Night chat, with part of the team that was involded in the game (Ed Boon, Carlos Pesina, etc..)

Overall...
  • Seems that only two (2) Fatalities were censored: The Joker's and Deathstroke.
  • Both were censored because both involved shooting and the ESRB wasn't confortable with it.
  • Censorship involved mostly moving the camera
  • PAL regions will see the uncensored Fatalitles
  • PSNetwork (online multiplayer) is region-locked (NTSC regions against themselves, PAL regions against themselves)
  • Xbox Live (online multiplayer) is not region locked (NTSC can play with PAL)
  • No final decisions what what will wned as DLC (downloadable content), but the team seems excited about the idea of adding Aquaman.
  • Team was limited to 10 charatcers from each side
  • Johnny Cage and Reptile missed the cut because of that
  • Their fate (among other charatcers) is explained in the comic book included with the Kollector's and in the Story Mode.
  • Decided to go back to 2D gameplay (for the most part) because aside going to the MK roots, to make the game easier to get into for comic-book fans that didn't follow or played games.
  • Different controller set-ups were included so people with joysticks could cutomize them the way they liked
  • Dark Kahn won't be a playable character but behaves and acts like a boss in every way
  • 14 arenas in the game, though some include "merged ones" (2 stages from each side together)
  • The arcade ladder picks opponent as random (unlike previous MK games were the ladders were pre-fixed)
  • The ladder also lets you choose to either only fight against MK charatcers, only DC characters..or both.
  • Dark Kahn is also the final boss in any ladder.
    [*]Original charatcer list/wish list had over 30 characters (including Lobo)
  • Many are quite happy with how Sonya ended being. Playing like a better/faster MK3 Sonya.
  • Sonya was designed by Cayenne 'Cy' Mandua
  • Guardians of the Universe (Ganthet) appear in the game
  • Finish MK Mode to unlock Shao Kahn
  • Finish DC Mode to unlock Darkseid

Overall the chat was ..fun..with the team constantly making jokes, constantly bringing Aquaman and even joking about the chat being rated T, but people from Europe could see the chat with all the cursing.. :p

The games will be in stores this (upcoming) Monday! (Mortal Monday again ;) ..which it's why it ships Sunday)
:(

fernoca said:
*Team was limited to 10 charatcers from each side
*Johnny Cage and Reptile missed the cut because of that
*Original charatcer list/wish list had over 30 characters (including Lobo)
What the fuck is this shit?

The fact that Cage didn't make it into the MK roster is really fucking stupid. I can live without Reptile, but Cage should have been a given.

A purchase for this is definitely dependent on reviews, especially considering what else is coming out next week.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I will buy the Pal version then since it should work on my ps3 and HD....
That means I can play online against euro only players even though I am on an american internet connection?

It seems that buying the Euro version would lock you into matches against Europeans, meaning worse online due to latencies. Does this seem correct from the info available?

It would be cool to take advantage of the PS3's region-freeness and be ultra-cool at school, but that seems like a big hit.

fernoca said:
[*]PSNetwork (online multiplayer) is region-locked (NTSC regions against themselves, PAL regions against themselves)

[*]Xbox Live (online multiplayer) is not region locked (NTSC can play with PAL)

WHA--?!

1) If I pick the PS3 version....

- I will be able to play online for free and play the game with a properly D-Pad...

BUT...

- I'll probably won't be able to play Online, because I have the feeling this game isn't going to be very popular among European audiences out there...

2) On the other hand if I pick the Xbox360 version....

- I will be able to play Online properly, with a good user database....

BUT...

- I hate the 360 controller as far as Fighting Games is concerned....

- I'll have to buy a GOLD Subscription...

Wonder which version should I buy....

By the way, any word on alternate costytumes and other modes? In the latest MK I always missed something like TIME ATTACK or SURVIVAL modes...

Kletian

Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
WHA--?!

1) If I pick the PS3 version....

- I will be able to play online for free and play the game with a properly D-Pad...

BUT...

- I'll probably won't be able to play Online, because I have the feeling this game isn't going to be very popular among European audiences out there...

2) On the other hand if I pick the Xbox360 version....

- I will be able to play Online properly, with a good user database....

BUT...

- I hate the 360 controller as far as Fighting Games is concerned....

- I'll have to buy a GOLD Subscription...

Wonder which version should I buy....

By the way, any word on alternate costytumes and other modes? In the latest MK I always missed something like TIME ATTACK or SURVIVAL modes...

And the PAL version for PS3 is not region locked to consoles correct? i.e. if I were to import the PAL version to get the unedited fatalities, I'll be able to play it on my NTSC PS3?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kletian said:
And the PAL version for PS3 is not region locked to consoles correct? i.e. if I were to import the PAL version to get the unedited fatalities, I'll be able to play it on my NTSC PS3?

Yes. And I've never met anyone that plays fighters online (on the couch in versusmode is much more fun), so the online bit shouldn't worry too many people.

1cesc said:
I guess this is the game that makes or breaks Midway. Unfortunately, I won't be helping until it's $30 or less.

Same here. I dont want anything to do with the MK characters, just the DC guys.

I really havent liked the MK stiff style of fight since they went to 3D.

Captain N

Kletian said:

That's correct. You might be on the pal servers though and won't be able to pllay some of us.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I was under the impression that MK games still sold pretty well, despite GAF's general disdain for the series.

Anyone got actual numbers?

Captain N

Who do you want to see as DLC?

Clayface - He could be a pretty fun character to play as and it would remind me of clayfighters with all the clay flying after he got hit.

Doomsday

Robin / Nightwing

Top Bottom