• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK vs DC Official Thread of T rated goodness and unnecessary konsonant substitution

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Anyanka said:
Playing it now. Sucks. It's not "back to it's roots" or like MK II/UMK3. Do not be fooled by fans kidding themselves. This is the MKDA engine with the movement controls changed to be more 2D.

Yep. It's because Midway doesn't understand frame advantage. It takes 20 years to recover from everything. You hit someone with a quick jab string and instead of having advantage you both wait a year and then are even. It makes the whole game feel super sluggish and unresponsive. Even if you don't understand frames you can feel the problem with this game.

Awww, really? This is making me droopy. Is it at least fun? Not "awesome fighter" fun, but "good for goofing around with" fun?

Halvie

Banned
Game is really fun imo. And I don't get how you don't think this game feels like earlier MK games. Online is working really well so far as well.

raYne

Ninja Scooter said:
yeah the fatalities/brutalities look fucking terrible.
I wish I could say that it's the T rating's really killing (lol) that aspect, but it's not. They're totally uninspired. As with the everything else, there's so much more that could've been done. Much better finishers could've been thought up in 10 seconds.

Too many people share the same, "jump in the air, slam.. stomp" finisher variation. Then there are the ones that look just like regular throws/moves that you'd expect just in the normal fighting system. And the remainder consists of a good start and then it just ends before any climax. They aren't even trying.

Anyanka

Halvie said:
And I don't get how you don't think this game feels like earlier MK games. .

In what way is this anything like MK II? The movesets are straight out of a 3D game, the jumping is that short, awkward and stiff jump from the previous games. Just changing u/f to jumping towards them doesn't actually make it feel like MK II.

The game feels like what everyone feared when SF IV was annouced.

Halvie

Banned
Anyanka said:
In what way is this anything like MK II? The movesets are straight out of a 3D game, the jumping is that short, awkward and stiff jump from the previous games. Just changing u/f to jumping towards them doesn't actually make it feel like MK II.

The game feels like what everyone feared when SF IV was annouced.

Not sure I haven't played an MK game since 3, but this feels pretty similar from what I remember.

Captain N

The Playstation 3 version of the Kollector's Edition actually has the comic books in digital form. Just giving the DC fans a heads up about that.

I'm not sure where this picture came from, but someone has it on flicker.

3034510637_955185fa45.jpg

BradVanDam said:
I got a chance to put in about 3 hrs into this game tonight, its return to form.

Jobber and Outcast GTFO.

This is my favorite game of 2008 over MGS4, Fable 2, Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge.

Is there a reason you brought my name up?

I'll probably end up picking this up when it hits $29 or less. I'm a comics geek, but the newer MK games have all sucked hard IMO

raYne

BradVanDam said:
I got a chance to put in about 3 hrs into this game tonight, its return to form.

Jobber and Outcast GTFO.

This is my favorite game of 2008 over MGS4, Fable 2, Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge.
Whoa.. only saw this 'cause Outcast quoted it.

I already thought you had terrible taste just going by the wrestling threads, but Jesus.

raYne said:
Whoa.. only saw this 'cause Outcast quoted it.

I already thought you had terrible taste just going by the wrestling threads, but Jesus.

I think my head exploded when I read his post, and then it reassembled itself and exploded once more.

BradVanDam said:

Jobber and Outcast GTFO.

You've gotta be trolling me.....

fernoca

100_1115%20(Small).JPG

Don't know if the pic will work, but with this I'm out of this thread....really tired of not only having to "defend" Mortal Kombat ..in Mortal Kombat threads, but against the same people in ..every Mortal Kombat thread...oh well, I'll continue enjoying the game(s).

Thnks (and props) to Nemesis again for making a decent/good looking MK thread still.

where is all of that from I want it all :(

and Outcast you said all the MK games sucked bad they were really good actually and MK armageddon has so much content it could last you for years.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
riskVSreward said:
As if "back to it's roots" is even a good thing.

I could never understand how Midway couldn't get the basics down in every single MK game. You'd think they would start hiring programmers who worked on other fighters, or at least enjoyed playing them, Mortal Kombat always feels like it was taken out of the oven too early. After 15 years of this shit, I can't help but feel that it's intentional.

I'm glad theres murmurs of it already being broken, I can't confirm for myself if it's just exaggeration but I wouldn't doubt the game is broken top to bottom. Not that 85% of the user base would even notice, they just wanna dial up some fatalities and watch teh uber-gore.

Maybe then, after all, it is returning to it's roots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8xgIMNeZDc

Stupid broken piece of shit. :D

I would completely agree with some of what you said. The MK crowd is not the same people who play the super technical fighters lke VF. MK is not about memorizing long combos or spending hours mastering all the just frame strings. It is about getting a bunch of friends together and just beating the crap out of each other.

That being said, MK knows exactly who their audience is. A more complex/technical fighter does not always make it better and definatly does not translate into sales. Take a look at the VF sales compared to any of the last 3 MKs.

Finally, just to nitpick. Having programmers from other franchises may give you better tech but it probably would not change how the game actually plays if the designers/leads have no intention on changing the moment to moment gameplay.

BradVanDam said:
where is all of that from I want it all :(

and Outcast you said all the MK games sucked bad they were really good actually and MK armageddon has so much content it could last you for years.

I've played them all ad they all suck. The same robotic as hell fighting sytem that's a chore to play.

We all know you've quite possibly got the worst taste out of anyone on te forum on a variety of topics.
OI'm still stiking to the opinion that you're borderline retarded.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
I've played them all ad they all suck. The same robotic as hell fighting sytem that's a chore to play.

We all know you've quite possibly got the worst taste out of anyone on te forum on a variety of topics.
OI'm still stiking to the opinion that you're borderline retarded.

Wow.

What a stuck up piece of shit. Get over yourself, child.

Anyway, I'm going to pick this up with Animal Crossing. As long as it's as good as the first two MK games last gen, it'll be very fun.

GCQuinton

Picked this up earlier this morning and played it for a few hours. I'm definitely having fun with it, and the story mode's surprisingly well done so far. While I do think it's a bit more technical than previous MK's, I've never bought a MK game expecting it match a game like Street Fighter in that area so my expectations were in check before jumping in. Don't care one way or the other about the fatalities (aside from Joker's which got edited, but oh well), so the only real downside to me is I wish it had more characters.

shuri

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
HAY GUYS IM RETARDED LOOK AT ME LOOOOK OMG LOL SF IS BETTER
I love how all so called 'fighting game elite fans' are all sweaty manchilds who take their games too seriously. Too bad those superfans are the reasons why the whole fighting genre is DEAD. The companies listened to them and the entire fandom choked on his cum.

MK is a franchise for normal people who like normal games. People who dont take games all that seriously. The same tards are always trolling every mk thread with the same tired argument. It's like going in wrestling threads going OMG HAY GUYS ITS FAKE. No, really?

It's really annoying and it makes you look like a total cock; get lost and go back to decoding framedata from obscure 2ch posts with the boys from #capcom.

Don't shit up threads.

You can play any other fighter with friends, with no one who knows anything about fighters and still have fun. You don't have to pick a broken piece of shit to play with friends simply because it has no depth of gameplay. If that were true, everyone would be playing Rise of the Robots with their friends just to "chill out" and not worry about "teh frames."

All I'm saying is Midway continually puts minimal effort into this series and it gets worse every time. Just because they put DC characters in it is supposed to make it more fun to pal around with noobs?
VF had an awesome fighting engine but the fighters themselves are boring. Same thing with tekken. MK is simply a stronger franchise in north america, and every gamer could identify Scorpion and Johnny Cage. The last 3 titles sold about 10 millions combined, and that's ignoring the first 4 games.

How many has SF sold since ssf2? Well? or VF? The MK games are simply more flashly and more charismatic; and normal people who dont care about recoverytime and all that bullshit like the game because the engine works well enough to have fun with it.

Rise of the robot had an awful design and was basically unplayable.

ragingadamo said:
I would completely agree with some of what you said. The MK crowd is not the same people who play the super technical fighters lke VF. MK is not about memorizing long combos or spending hours mastering all the just frame strings. It is about getting a bunch of friends together and just beating the crap out of each other.

That being said, MK knows exactly who their audience is. A more complex/technical fighter does not always make it better and definatly does not translate into sales. Take a look at the VF sales compared to any of the last 3 MKs.

Finally, just to nitpick. Having programmers from other franchises may give you better tech but it probably would not change how the game actually plays if the designers/leads have no intention on changing the moment to moment gameplay.

You can play any other fighter with friends, with no one who knows anything about fighters and still have fun. You don't have to pick a broken piece of shit to play with friends simply because it has no depth of gameplay. If that were true, everyone would be playing Rise of the Robots with their friends just to "chill out" and not worry about "teh frames."

All I'm saying is Midway continually puts minimal effort into this series and it gets worse every time. Just because they put DC characters in it is supposed to make it more fun to pal around with noobs?

shuri said:
I love how all so called 'fighting game elite fans' are all sweaty manchilds who take their games too seriously. Too bad those superfans are the reasons why the whole fighting genre is DEAD. The companies listened to them and the entire fandom choked on his cum.

MK is a franchise for normal people who like normal games. People who dont take games all that seriously. The same tards are always trolling every mk thread with the same tired argument. It's like going in wrestling threads going OMG HAY GUYS ITS FAKE. No, really?

It's really annoying and it makes you look like a total cock; get lost and go back to decoding framedata from obscure 2ch posts with the boys from #capcom.

Don't shit up threads.

So people who like their fighting games to have depth are tards and normal people play subpar games? Gotcha.

shuri said:
How many has SF sold since ssf2? Well? or VF? The MK games are simply more flashly and more charismatic; and normal people who dont care about recoverytime and all that bullshit like the game because the engine works well enough to have fun with it.

I just want to make sure I'm following your five year old's argument here... MK is better because it sells more?

omg rite said:
Wow.

Anyway, I'm going to pick this up with Animal Crossing. As long as it's as good as the first two MK games last gen, it'll be very fun.

You need to know BradVanDam to understand him.... it's nothing personal, I just find him to be an idiot.

In what way am I wrong?

The 3D MK games have some of the worst fighting systems out there. Stiff, robotic and a god damned chore to play.

So what if they sell a trillion copies eveytime they come out, that doesn't make them good games by any stretch.

But hey, if this DC Comic stunt doesn't pan out they way it needs to, Midway wont be around fo any of us to worry about it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
omg rite said:
Wow.

Yeah...

McBradders

omg rite said:
Wow.

Y'know we don't agree on a lot of things, but this I can get behind.

McBradders

riskVSreward said:
So people who like their fighting games to have depth are tards and normal people play subpar games? Gotcha.

I just want to make sure I'm following your five year old's argument here... MK is better because it sells more?

So why'd you come in here, just to shit on it? Or tell the people who bought it and are having fun with it are wrong?

Outcast2004 said:

At least he's not stinking up threads not to his taste.

McBradders said:
So why'd you come in here, just to shit on it? Or tell the people who bought it and are having fun with it are wrong?

I came in here out of disbelief that there was an official thread for a Mortal Kombat game.

Anyone who is having fun with this is fine by me.

Fatghost said:
So game discussion can only be praising? We can't point out or criticize a game for it's faults?

You'd think with the utter failure of professional games criticism these days that open discussion by gamers would be valued, not disparaged.

Exactly. I'm sure I could go through his 4,500+ post history and find some instance of him hating on a game.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
McBradders said:

So game discussion can only be praising? We can't point out or criticize a game for it's faults?

You'd think with the utter failure of professional games criticism these days that open discussion by gamers would be valued, not disparaged.

McBradders said:

At least he's not stinking up threads not to his taste.

So no one's allowed to point out a games faults now?
Even though it's had the same faults for 3 titles in the series now?

Is it any wonder Midway's on it's way out?

Outcast2004 said:
You need to know BradVanDam to understand him.... it's nothing personal, I just find him to be an idiot.

In what way am I wrong?

The 3D MK games have some of the worst fighting systems out there. Stiff, robotic and a god damned chore to play.

So what if they sell a trillion copies eveytime they come out, that doesn't make them good games by any stretch.

But hey, if this DC Comic stunt doesn't pan out they way it needs to, Midway wont be around fo any of us to worry about it.

Just because TNA is going down the gutter and i like a wrestler you dont like, doesnt mean im retarded.

Halvie

Banned
riskVSreward said:

Five year old argument? What does that make you three? It isn't hard to understand what the guy is trying to say....

I meant only a five year old would use game sales as a way to justify one game being better than another. I have no idea what else you are saying.

McBradders

Outcast2004 said:
So no one's allowed to point out a games faults now?
Even though it's had the same faults for 3 titles in the series now?

Is it any wonder Midway's on it's way out?

riskVSreward said:
Exactly. I'm sure I could go through his 4,500+ post history and find some instance of him hating on a game.

Didja buy it?

Are ya playing it now?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well, it turned out to be a gigantic pile of shit. I had some fun for a few minutes then got over it. Supeman vs Batman was the only reason I gave it a chance. That was fun until the horribly brokn fighting engine shoes it's true colors.

The selling point of a MK game is missing anyway... Decent Fatalities. The brutalitirs are just pathtic too.

Still, I'm sure the teenage kids will continue to prop this franchise up and make it sellfar more than it deserves.

It's time for Midway to pull their heads out of their asses.

McBradders

Ninja99 said:
I must have missed the part in the TOS that says you have to buy a game in order to post in its official thread.

I don't have it yet. I'm in here for impressions. Which are , admittedly, mixed from those people actually playing it.

Halvie

Banned
riskVSreward said:
I meant only a five year old would use game sales as a way to justify one game being better than another. I have no idea what else you are saying.

Exactly...that isn't what he is trying to say at all. He is saying why MK is more successful in the West. His argument has nothing to do with what the better game is. The fact that you are trying to insult his intelligence when you can't even grasp that is quite funny.

Halvie said:
Exactly...that isn't what he is trying to say at all. He is saying why MK is more successful in the West. His argument has nothing to do with what the better game is. The fact that you are trying to insult his intelligence when you can't even grasp that is quite funny.

So assuming you are correct in your assumption, he was simply trying to tell me that MK is more successful in the West? Is that why he prefaced it by saying all people who play serious fighters are retarded?

I don't count frames, I don't have notebooks of data on the fighting games I play, I don't play in major tournaments, but I can still identify depth, challenge, and a legitimate competitive game. To generalize people who prefer, let's say ANY fighting game over MK as frame hungry nerds is fucking stupid. Normal people prefer MK, right... I suppose normal people prefer Linkin Park too.

McBradders said:
See... that's not gonna help at all.

Here come the facepalm gifs...

There isn't a facepalm large enough.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
riskVSreward said:
Justifying that one game is better than another is a waste of time anyway. People are going to have differing opinions. I'll offer my opinion and say that, after seeing SFIV, I think it's very fortunate for Midway that Capcom's title is launching in February. But I don't think we'll see SF2 caliber sales for a fighting game until someone releases something exciting that has never been done in the genre before.

Halvie

Banned
riskVSreward said:
So assuming you are correct in your assumption, he was simply trying to tell me that MK is more successful in the West? Is that why he prefaced it by saying all people who play serious fighters are retarded?

I don't count frames, I don't have notebooks of data on the fighting games I play, I don't play in major tournaments, but I can still identify depth, challenge, and a legitimate competitive game. To generalize people who prefer, let's say ANY fighting game over MK as frame hungry nerds is fucking stupid. Normal people prefer MK, right... I suppose normal people prefer Linkin Park too.

Well I don't think people that play "serious" fighters retarded, but it doesn't detract from the reasons he gave as to why MK sells better her than VF or the others.

Without going back and rereading the conversation I would guess that he said serious players are retarded because they continue to come and fill threads like these not because you actually play VF...or at least I would hope that would be the reasoning.

*doesn't listen to linkin park*

McBradders said:
See... that's not gonna help at all.

Here come the facepalm gifs...
To me when you pickup a game and you play it and its fun its a good game to me.

It has like what 20 arcade modes and 2 3 hour story modes.

How is that not as good as VF5 or DOA4?

Not to mention a ***** Mode and training mode and xbox live.

VF5 doesnt even have online on ps3.

BradVanDam said:

For reasons you may never understand.

Halvie said:
Well I don't think people that play "serious" fighters retarded, but it doesn't detract from the reasons he gave as to why MK sells better her than VF or the others.

Without going back and rereading the conversation I would guess that he said serious players are retarded because they continue to come and fill threads like these not because you actually play VF...or at least I would hope that would be the reasoning.

*doesn't listen to linkin park*

Then with all due respect sir, I would go reread that post and then try to put together a cohesive retort.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BradVanDam said:

Quantity doesn't equal quality. :lol

Fatghost said:
Quantity doesn't equal quality. :lol

Each Character plays unique, there is Klose Kombat and Free Falling and test your might. The Game still has fatalities even though its Teen Rated.

You wont be laughing when this game outsells Little Big Planet

outsidah

Im an equal opportunity fighting game fan and was really looking forward to this since supposedly the gameplay was going back to it's roots.

Well... I bought and have to say that's not the deal here. It's not the overly fake-complicated games that the last 3d MKs were.... But it's definetly NOT the MK of old. I feel let down by Midway yet again. I will be spending more time with of but so far I am not happy.

BradVanDam said:
Each Character plays unique, there is Klose Kombat and Free Falling and test your might. The Game still has fatalities even though its Teen Rated.

You wont be laughing when this game outsells Little Big Planet

I can try putting this in terms you may or may not understand (Im leaning towards the latter) the latest Smackdown games are loaded with a ton of gimmick matches and a large roster to choose from. No Mercy is almost 10 years old and doesnt have nearly as much content, yet most wrestling game fans would consider No Mercy to be a better game. I know, I know, HOW COULD THAT BE!? Because the actual wrestling part, you know the whole point of the game, is better.

Thats whats going on here, MK has a lot more options and features and a fresh coat of paint than say VF, but it has a long way to go to reach the same level of GAMEPLAY. I don't know about you, but when I consider spending $60 to get a game, I'd like to get one that plays well and not have to pretend I like it later because I blew my cash on it.

Top Bottom