• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK vs DC Official Thread of T rated goodness and unnecessary konsonant substitution

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BradVanDam said:
Each Character plays unique, there is Klose Kombat and Free Falling and test your might. The Game still has fatalities even though its Teen Rated.

You wont be laughing when this game outsells Little Big Planet

Each character shares at least 85% of their basic attacks and throws with every other character.

Each free falling, klose kombat and test your might is the same with every character.

I don't know if I have ever played a fighting game that has less actual gameplay variety.

It's kind of ridiculous but the fact that there's DC characters in it makes me want to buy this game. I think if I didn't have Valkyria Chronicles on the go and Dead Space in my backlog to play through I might give it a shot. That still might not stop me.

I'm not a fan of Mortal Kombat myself but the constant and blatant trolling in this thread is kind of tiresome. I can understand a heated discussion/debate between people who have actually played the game but some of the posts on the first page of this thread are just sad. I can respect not liking a franchise but then why are you in this thread in the first place? If you have no intention of playing the game, you have nothing informed to add about its quality or lack there of. You're just here to beat a dead horse? Dredge up an old arguement? "Mortal Kombat sucks lulz" Geez, thanks for that. I'm on the fence about this game and was hoping to read some opinions of those who had actually played the game instead it's just a train wreck of a thread.

Well take your pick, you've got people who hate it based on them playing it, people who hate it without even having to play it, and people who think it's the best fucking game ever.

BradVanDam said:
sd vs raw 2009 is this generations no mercy how about we do our research before we speak thanks.

Because much like MK, I don't feel like I need to play each years incarnation to understand that they fucking suck. You have got to be the least educated gamer on the planet, congratulations.

Monocle

Okay, I just watched a bunch of gameplay videos on Youtube, and this game is not looking good. Between Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon, the MK series has seen little innovation. Granted, this tends to be the case with most fighting games. The main difference here is most other fighting game franchises don't start with a broken engine that undergoes a series of increasingly ineffectual additions with each iteration. And unlike Midway, most fighting game devs seem to desire some semblance of balance in their titles. To this end they release updated versions or patches as glitches and exploits are discovered by the player community. When a feature proves to be well and truly broken, like side wall stuns in Tekken 4, it is excised in the next version. The problem with the 3D MK games is they all have game-breaking exploits brought about by Midway's ignorance of effective fighting game balance, namely the intricacies of frame advantage. The number of infinites present in the last three MK games is far from typical.

I hope the people who bought MKvsDC enjoy it. I might still pick it up if I can find it at a bargain bin price. Until then it's strictly a rental title for me, as a demo appears to be out of the question.

fernoca

Well, I said I wasn't returning..but geeze..this thread is out of control..

Why is that apparently, anyone that enjoys Mortal Kombat, is considered to be either dumb, or "don't get fighters"? Virtua Fighter this, Street Fighter that...heck, contrary to many of the elitist from this forum I not only bought Virtua Fighter 5 (and every other recent fighter) at launch and full price...but heck I even bought Virtua Fighter 5..twice at full price (PS3 and 360)...and even bought items from the marketplace, and a Brad Theme...just to show my support and love towards that game..which is more than the same elititsts that slam me for loving Mortal Kombat, which waited for the game to be under $30..or heck, still waiting to get it...

I've played every fighter out there like no tomorrow (except japanese exclusive ones)...
Yet, "Mortal Kombat sucks..boohoohooo... and everyone that likes it just doesn't like serious fighters"...

I've say it before and I'll say it again..The game is fun..The game doesn't suck..
Heck, the IGN review which many are using as a parade to show that the game sucks, started by saying that "the game doesn't suck"..

It's a good game, it's a fun game..
It may not be as "deep" to many as some may want..but....come on..every Mortal Kombat have the same people, saying exact same thing..Anyanka bumped this thread, but with a video showing a glitch/infinite as evidence that this game "sucks"..then a few posts later say that the game sucks, after playing it (surprise, surprise)..

I'm all for actual discussion, both positive and negatives...but the fact that if I went to any other ifghter-thread and said that exact same things that many say about Mortal Kombat on every thread, ..I would be banned...yet they get a free pass, or as I was said once, in another MK thread, that because the GAF -hive mentality says the game sucks, tehrefore it's accepted to troll/bash the game in every thread mention, and it wouldn't guratntee a ban..and that worst, it's even aprooved by mods...

But whatever...
Love the game (surprise!)..really liek how yo ucan perform special moves twice i na row if you do the combination at teh right moment (lkike Sonya's Upward Bicycle Kick and how you can do an Downward Bicycle Kick right after it)

jaundicejuice said:
It's kind of ridiculous but the fact that there's DC characters in it makes me want to buy this game. I think if I didn't have Valkyria Chronicles on the go and Dead Space in my backlog to play through I might give it a shot. That still might not stop me.

I'm not a fan of Mortal Kombat myself but the constant and blatant trolling in this thread is kind of tiresome. I can understand a heated discussion/debate between people who have actually played the game but some of the posts on the first page of this thread are just sad. I can respect not liking a franchise but then why are you in this thread in the first place? If you have no intention of playing the game, you have nothing informed to add about its quality or lack there of. You're just here to beat a dead horse? Dredge up an old arguement? "Mortal Kombat sucks lulz" Geez, thanks for that. I'm on the fence about this game and was hoping to read some opinions of those who had actually played the game instead it's just a train wreck of a thread.
Exactly! :)
How can there be an actual thread, when the first page alone went with people talking about how this game didn't deserved an official thread.

Then, I'm the blind MK fanboy..for being here.

fernoca

riskVSreward said:
I respect you as a poster, I know you didn't mean any of that personally to anyone, but you can't honestly expect people to be getting banned for not liking a game.
Is not about liking a game or not..
Is about going to the threads, of that exact same game and said the exact same things..
Go through the post history of a few "MK sucks" fellows, and you'll see them saying the exact same thing..in every MK thread...

Heck, do a search about "Mortal Kombat" in threads titles only..and you'll see the fate of every MK thread...and a big feeling of deja vu in everyone of them...

Then, they counter to those that like the game.

Thtat's the reason I didn't made an official thread baout this game, and praised Nemesis for doing one..but when the first page went with "lol an official Mk thread? ".. "lol guess every game has an official thread"...the outcome was inevitable.

Grecco

Ill be picking it up this week Fernoca. Hope you dont leave this thread. Its cool to see people with love for MK

BradVanDam said:
Just because TNA is going down the gutter and i like a wrestler you dont like, doesnt mean im retarded.
Actually your complete idocy all over the forum is more than proof enough of your lack of mental prowess.

Now can we get back to the topic at hand?

fernoca

Grecco said:
Ill be picking it up this week Fernoca. Hope you dont leave this thread. Its cool to see people with love for MK
Hope you like it..
raro ver a alguien de GAF y PR que le interese... :p
..but it's a lost cause.. :lol

Grecco

The Last MK game i got was Deception. But the fact that theres DC guys here makes it a must buy even if Johny Cage is not in this. :)

Grecco said:
The Last MK game i got was Deception. But the fact that theres DC guys here makes it a must buy even if Johny Cage is not in this. :)

So the fact it's the same robotic animation and play style is ok with you despite it's 6 years later?

Midway KNEW they were in serious trouble (as well as their whole company) with the MK franchise so they desperately reached out to DC comics to help sell it.

fernoca

Outcast2004 said:
So the fact it's the same robotic animation and play style is ok with you despite it's 6 years later?

Midway KNEW they were in serious trouble (as well as their whole company) with the MK franchise so they desperately reached out to DC comics to help sell it.
???
Serious trouble with the MK franchise? It's been selling great and has been the only "thing" making money to them..

Midway Chicago (MK team) was making Mortal Kombat VIII, when Midway/DC asked them to make 2 games..they made a few propositions, exchanged a few ideas and dedcided to make them (since it was a 2 games ocntract, they were going to get their hands quite full). And considering that the overall product has been wel lrecieved by the media/magazines/websites; the second game is nearly a no-brainer, but saless will tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shaolin Monks team makes the next MK vs DC game (they also have some experience making handling comic-book charatcer as they did with X-Men Mutant Academy), so Chicago cotninues making their own MK..for 2010.

fernoca

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so who wrote the comic?
John Vogel, from Midway Chicago.
But is not like it's an actual comic-book with dialogues...
It's more like a ..summary of the conception of Dark Kahn, with a few monologues and explanations about how "rage" affected all the realms...and banished a few warriors from both (Johnny Cage, Goro, Robin and Aquaman shown ..banishing)..

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
fernoca said:
Why is that apparently, anyone that enjoys Mortal Kombat, is considered to be either dumb, or "don't get fighters"? Virtua Fighter this, Street Fighter that.

Yup. I never understood this either. When I had my 32X, two games occupied 99% of my time: Mortal Kombat II & Virtua Fighter.

Why try to compare two games that aren't supposed to even be compared to each other? Are we going to tell someone they're dumb because they like COD4 instead of Gears? Is this an appropriate thing to do because they're both games that have guns in them? Despite each game requiring the user to fire a gun, their gameplay is miles apart from each other. Both appeal to different people, and SHOCKINGLY, both can appeal to the SAME person.

fernoca said:
???
Serious trouble with the MK franchise? It's been selling great and has been the only "thing" making money to them..

Midway Chicago (MK team) was making Mortal Kombat VIII, when Midway/DC asked them to make 2 games..they made a few propositions, exchanged a few ideas and dedcided to make them (since it was a 2 games ocntract, they were going to get their hands quite full). And considering that the overall product has been wel lrecieved by the media/magazines/websites; the second game is nearly a no-brainer, but saless will tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shaolin Monks team makes the next MK vs DC game (they also have some experience making handling comic-book charatcer as they did with X-Men Mutant Academy), so Chicago cotninues making their own MK..for 2010.

That' the problem, it's the only thing keeping Midway afloat. It's got to sell a TON or Midway is DONE. Toast, kaput, stone dead, pushing up daisies, shuffling this mortal coil, you get the idea.

The only way to ensure that the game would sell even close to what they need is the cheap attention grab with the DC characters.

RSTEIN said:
Yup. I never understood this either. When I had my 32X, two games occupied 99% of my time: Mortal Kombat II & Virtua Fighter.

Why try to compare two games that aren't supposed to even be compared to each other? Are we going to tell someone they're dumb because they like COD4 instead of Gears? Is this an appropriate thing to do because they're both games that have guns in them? Despite each game requiring the user to fire a gun, their gameplay is miles apart from each other. Both appeal to different people, and SHOCKINGLY, both can appeal to the SAME person.

The gameplay is miles apart in the sense that one is bad and the other is good. Otherwise you have 2 players, each choose a fighter, and using a variety of normal and special moves aim to deplete the opponents health before their own is depleted. Trying to liken this comparison to a comparison between a 1st and 3rd person shooter is absurd.

Calcaneus

Outcast2004 said:

Why can't you understand that some people just like MK gameplay and are just a little interested in this game? You've been taking every chance you can to put down people's reasons for getting the game.

I'm all for criticism, but there's a difference between saying you don't like a game and quoting every positive post and going on about you can't possibly see how people like these "shitty" games.

Chill out.

Calcaneus said:
Why can't you understand that some people just like MK gameplay and are just a little interested in this game? You've been taking every chance you can to put down people's reasons for getting the game.

I'm all for criticism, but there's a difference between saying you don't like a game and quoting every positive post and going on about you can't possibly see how people like these "shitty" games.

Chill out.

Heed your own advice.

I didnt say anything to that sort.

I'm asking a valid question. It's a fighting engine that hasn't evolved at all in SIX YEARS. In fact, it's taken steps backwards. That's a VALID gripe. It's the same stiff and robotic, dial a combo gameplay from 2002.

It's a double edged sword, it's a cheap stunt to get DC involved as well as just tossing a coat of paint on the same old game for th fourth time, all the while taking away the one thing that put it on the map in the first place.... the graphic over the top violence

Will it sell a lot? Probably, but theres a very good chance this could get lost in the shuffle.

For a lot of people I think they would have preferred Midway to go back to the drawing board and overhaul MK from the ground up.

Truespeed

Eurogamer needs to get their ass in gear. I base all of my multi-platform purchasing decisions on their comparison articles.

DihcarEM

I can't wait to pick this baby up friday(pal release).
Don't really mind the waterd downed fatalities. A lot of games now have over the top violence and unlike a decade ago, i'm no longer a teen. I can always preform "fatalities" in Gears2 if i'm in the mood for it:D .

I do wish there had been more unlockables and hopefully one of my favorite characters will be downloadable somewhere down the line, Doomsday.

Fernoca, what do you think of the graphics, are they solid enough?
Is it possible to have dark endings? Like Joker winning?

Thanks in advance

fernoca

DihcarEM said:
Fernoca, what do you think of the graphics, are they solid enough?
Is it possible to have dark endings? Like Joker winning?

Thanks in advance
:O!.. a question?! :O! ... :p

As far as endings go, aside the Story Mode (which has it's own ending depending on which side -MK or DC- you choose); the Arcade Mode has individual endings, pretty much like previous MK games, when you finish the ladder (which you can choose to be either MK only, DC only or Mixed) you're shown a drawing of what happened to that character and a narrator explaining. Story-wise it seems to take place after MK3 (and alternate dimension), were it shows a defeated Shao Kahn being punished by the invasion to Earth and Quan Chi being freed from the Netherealm; as the warriors are looking to return to their normal lives after the invasion. (alternate dimension, because in the cannon-story Shao Kahn was never punished after the invasion, just weakened)

Examples of endings (at the top of my mind):
Deathstroke:
Basically used the powers gained and made an army of powerful warriors. The picture shows a few Deathstroke-looking characters with attributes from other characters like Sub-Zero's frozen arms, Jax robotic arms, etc..while the main one is at the center.
..Liu Kang
is given power by the Elder Gods to be a powerful warrior to defend the realms. The picture shows him covered in light, screaming and the faces of Rayden, Fujin, Argus (from Armageddon) and other Elder Gods at the top..

Regarding visuals..well, the game looks good. It could've looked better in some areas, and a lot better in others but still look darn nice. Kano is probably the most detailed character seeing how they basically did his hair and goatee (while for others the hair is just a polygon with a texture), and animated his cybernetic eye....and also made it look as it was put in front of damaged flesh on his face.. (from the DC side I liked how Batman and The Flash looked)

But the key it's in the little details..
Character havings their own vistory poses; some classics (Kitana takes her fans and strikes a pose), some expected (Batman turn his back and covers himself with his cape, while looking over the shoulder), some new (like Kano's "I'm going to cut your neck" gesture ..don't know how to describe it, since my english sucks.. :p)...

Bruises/damages are really cool and well done. For example, while fighting Catwoman, I notice my charatcer ..like just being scratched (as she fights mostly scratching and with her whip)..but with another fighter it ad bruises and pieces of cloth torn)...also little details like Scorpion,after falling from a long distance, the back of his clothes had this hole..and showing ..just bones....or (again) Kano's cyber-eye having cables and stuff disconnected after receiving a good amount of damage.

Also the way characters get up, get ready for the next round, ..their idle animations some even do gestures to the other characters..

Don't know what else to say..textures sometimes are low res, while others are really crisp..and the (few) blood there is looks good.

Kingpen

BradVanDam said:
sd vs raw 2009 is this generations no mercy how about we do our research before we speak thanks.

I'm a big MK fan, and I'll back you on that comment as SvR2009 is the best wrestling game I have played since Here Comes the Pain

I don't agree with putting any fighting game up against Virtua Fighter 5 though this gen like you said previously

DihcarEM

Thanks Fernoca,

I'm looking forward to the release. And the game sounds right about what i was expecting.

Do you have a favorite character already? And which character feels the most powerful(in gameplay)?

ragingadamo

Neo Member
riskVSreward said:
You can play any other fighter with friends, with no one who knows anything about fighters and still have fun. You don't have to pick a broken piece of shit to play with friends simply because it has no depth of gameplay. If that were true, everyone would be playing Rise of the Robots with their friends just to "chill out" and not worry about "teh frames."

All I'm saying is Midway continually puts minimal effort into this series and it gets worse every time. Just because they put DC characters in it is supposed to make it more fun to pal around with noobs?

Are you sure about that?

Without trying to start a war I am going to go ahead and say I put this game in the same category as DOA in the sense that people can button mash and still feel fairly successful.

As someone who has played VF5 competitively and plays SF3:third strike very seriously, I can confidently say that if anyone tried button mashing in either of those games against me they would be quickly owned.

I am not trying to change your opinion of the game, just trying to say that people like and play games for different reasons :D

outsidah

I can report back that I've been having more fun with it tonight. Joker is alot of fun and is animated very nicely... I'm liking the game more even though initially it felt more like the previous 3d MK's that old school MK.

I'll try it online tomorrow and see how that goes.

Anyanka

I'm playing combo challenge. Getting rid of the long dialed combos was good but some of these juggles show how stiff and clunky the game is. The jump punch's hitboxes are so messed up.

Story mode delivers though. A lot of good cheese.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oh God. I'm trying to enjoy it but with each characters ending this game just digs deeper and deeper into a pit of despair and continuity rape.

vg260

I don't see why people are bashing this game so ruthlessly. I don't think anyone's expecting anything remotely close to a serious fighter. I was expecting a fun, mindless fighter I can goof around with and enjoy the characters. So far, I'm perfectly pleased. I only played DC story mode so far, and while the whole Rage thing was stupid ans silly, I enjoyed the crap out of it. This game is perfect for friends who would never otherwise play a fighting game with me. I think the graphics are pretty solid and the character models are nice (except Wonder Woman). A fun game and a worthwhile pick-up if you're really into the characters. I'm enjoying this game pretty much the same way I enjoyed Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's nothing deep, but nicely presented and fun. FWIW, the game runs in 1080p on the PS3. Probably upscaled, but definitely welcome.

I'd love to see some DLC characters.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
2&2 said:
I don't see why people are bashing this game so ruthlessly. I don't think anyone's expecting anything remotely close to a serious fighter. I was expecting a fun, mindless fighter I can goof around with and enjoy the characters. So far, I'm perfectly pleased. I only played DC story mode so far, and while the whole Rage thing was stupid ans silly, I enjoyed the crap out of it. This game is perfect for friends who would never otherwise play a fighting game with me. I think the graphics are pretty solid and the character models are nice (except Wonder Woman). A fun game and a worthwhile pick-up if you're really into the characters. I'm enjoying this game pretty much the same way I enjoyed Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's nothing deep, but nicely presented and fun. FWIW, the game runs in 1080p on the PS3. Probably upscaled, but definitely welcome.

I'd love to see some DLC characters.

I'lll be honest... Aquaman DLC would turn this game from the worst game ever made to the best. :lol

Caj814

I think the main problem with MK is that theres not a huge demand to push the series when looking at how successful the sales are.As long as Midway makes a profit they don't really see the need to overhaul too much.That and Ed Boon has pretty much been lead since the beginning.Other fighting game franchises(mostly Japanese) usually have different leads in every iteration but they also have the advantage of most of them still being in arcades where deep competition usually effects how the game is looked at and develops over time.

It also helps that the developers are usually listening to complaints and suggestions.Unfortunately I think theres more complaints than suggestions ever since MK has been a home exclusive,thanks to a lot of buyers getting the game just to see everyones Fatality,but of course there are always the true fans who will utterly enjoy each MKs gameplay no matter how good or bad it may be received.

I for one would honestly love to play a new MK game that goes back to it's roots with FULL 2D gameplay and the use of digital actors.At least there won't be complaints of choppy animation :lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Mortal Kombat vs DC will rock solely based on the fact that you get to beat the living shit out of Superman.

To put things in perspective, I bought Def Jam Fight for NY only for the promise that I would get to kick Sean Paul's ass.

Top Bottom