• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK vs DC Official Thread of T rated goodness and unnecessary konsonant substitution

RobbieNick

RobbieNick said:
Yea, that's what sickens me about GAF. People hating all over a game without even trying it. "This game has mild violence, ergo it must suck!!" God, what morons. Play the fucking game! It's awesome.

Prime crotch said:
errr not really, if anything people are complaining about the lack of violence, I mean Liu Kang's Fatality doesn't even kill his opponent! Then there's the fact it plays like crap like the previous MKs since DA.

You just made my point for me.:lol

Anyanka

I just had a glitch where my controls suddenly switched back to the default control scheme in the middle of a fight! It went back to normal after that match.

Some of these pro moves are messed up. Like Catwoman's after b,f+4 will whiff all the time.

tim1138

Segata Sanshiro said:
GAF doesn't hate it because it's got a T-rating, GAF hates it because it's Mortal Kombat. The overarching mentality at these forums when it comes to games is that if it's not a 10, then it's a 0. Mortal Kombat is not and never has been a 10. Therefore, it will be treated as a 0.

The MK series is one of the classic examples of the GAF hive-mind at work.

Back on topic, the promise of kicking Superman's ass is going to guarantee at least a rental from me. From the videos I've seen it looks like a pretty fun game. It'd be pretty cool if they did a Shaolin Monks style crossover game in the MK-DC crossover universe.

Anyanka

Just had another ridiculous glitch and it happened twice. I hit the opponent with Cat's b,f+2and the drill kick whiffs! She flies up and hits an invisible wall and they take no damage....

I've also seen Sub's auto counter drop down the wrong way and miss and a bunch of others.

neorej said:
The game supports custom soundtracks? Ace! There's just one track you'll need to play though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf40daefsI

Damn you to hell, I wanted to stop watching that video, but I couldn't. It will haunt my motherfucking dreams. Jesus.

As far as custom soundtracks go, the best version of the MK Theme:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWZ_5qSKbQ

Shirley Walker's Batman themes:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPWTjPa--0&feature=related

and of course the Justice League theme:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=p81_kAFdyr8

Halvie

Banned
are online stats not updating for anyone else? I have like 50 matches in I it only shows 8.

Also I wish they would just have made this 2d(hd sprites would be pretty sweet but I think that is out of the realm of possibilities) without the sidestepping crap and the dumb midair fights.

So I bought the PS3 version, somewhat on the merit of the custom soundtracks I read about in this thread..and there is no such feature!

Guess I should stop putting so much faith in the internets. :lol

dexterslu

McBradders said:
The Giant Bomb review gives me great hope.
People are freaking out in the comment section of the review, to be honest I picked up the game last night and absolutely love it! SCIV is great, but honestly I couldn't get into it.

I picked up L4D this morning and have yet to touch it because I've been sitting around playing MK V. DC all day before class.. The online has worked pretty well for me so far, the story mode is incredibly out there (what you want for an MK game).

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
McBradders said:
The Giant Bomb review gives me great hope.

5/5 for this game is absolutely insane. It's not a bad game by any means, and is an improvement in several ways on the previous few MKs, but the Giant Bomb review is pretty ridiculous. To put MK vs. DC on the same footing as stuff like SF4 and VF5 is simply wrong.

It's a fun, shallow weekend rental you can have lots of dumb fun with, especially if you invite over your comic geek friends.

tribal24

Banned
MasterAJ22 said:
So I bought the PS3 version, somewhat on the merit of the custom soundtracks I read about in this thread..and there is no such feature!

Guess I should stop putting so much faith in the internets. :lol

you do it from the xmb>.>

So, for the people who have it, and who are playing it...what's the verdict? I simply can't afford to buy, but I can rent. What should I look forward to/lower my standards for?

So I'm still loving the game. The ***** challenge mode is really difficult...I've only been able to get the the 7th level of Subzero's.

Oh, and btw...I hate using The Flash.

And for The-Switcher, I'm really enjoying the game as a whole. The story mode is a little corny (you'd expect that right?) but it's entertaining. The combat it satisfying, the visuals are nice, and it's just plain fun. However, if you're a hardcore fighter fan (SCVI, etc) then you might not like the game. Aside from the ***** challenges, the game is pretty simple. Since I don't really know what your tastes are, I wouldn't bother raising your expectations yet...that may just lead you to be disappointed. Just go into it with a neutral attitude and you'll probably have fun.

Halvie

Banned
MattKeil said:
5/5 for this game is absolutely insane. It's not a bad game by any means, and is an improvement in several ways on the previous few MKs, but the Giant Bomb review is pretty ridiculous. To put MK vs. DC on the same footing as stuff like SF4 and VF5 is simply wrong.

It's a fun, shallow weekend rental you can have lots of dumb fun with, especially if you invite over your comic geek friends.

It is better than a rent if you are an old school MK fan.

dexterslu

Halvie said:

It's obviously subjective from person to person, but since I live with a bunch of dudes who like fighting games I think this one is going to have legs for me..

Xevren

Halvie said:

It really isn't, I loved the old school days and its kind of a let down to me. It's not a bad game but its not really good either.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I played this at PAX and I felt that, while not perfect, it was a step in the right direction. It wasn't nearly as stiff and mechanical as Deadly Alliance and its sequels. But they still have to tighten up the fighting system if they want to beat out the other combo friendly 2.5D fighters (namely Rival Schools and Bloody Roar).

Honestly, I'm surprised that people can form such a strong opinion of the game either way. It's generally solid and inoffensive, although somewhat bland as a consequence.

Fun game over all i though it was done pretty rad

The Joker was done perfect.
I still have yet to play on-line, hopefully its not as laggy as SC4.
fighting games on the come back
Hells yea

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Kccitystar said:
Is it just me or is combo Challenge the most brutal fucking part of this game :lol
Absolutely. You pretty much have to figure out the crazy timing on your own, its fucked up :lol ...this game needs the combo demo feature from Soul Calibur BAD. That said, when you do figure out some of the more complex combos, the game opens up quite a bit. Sub-Zero is awwwesome.

outsidah

Kccitystar said:
:lol
I hope so

Some of the stuff that has happened to me online is incredible.. miss after miss when I'm right on top of the other guy. TERRIBLE.

tekkenmasterAC said:
Fun game over all i though it was done pretty rad

The Joker was done perfect.
I still have yet to play on-line, hopefully its not as laggy as SC4.
fighting games on the come back
Hells yea

I cant get enough of the Joker... they did a great job on him.

Anyanka

outsidah said:
Some of the stuff that has happened to me online is incredible.. miss after miss when I'm right on top of the other guy. TERRIBLE.

Yeah, if I posted all the stupid stuff that happened here this would be 100 pages.

But just one more, my favorite, is when I jump over a spear and do Catwoman's air whip and the spear magically travels upwards to catch me. :lol

Pojo

Banned
Mortal Kombat 2 was the single biggest thing in my youth until Goldeneye came along. Mortal Kombat is back, don't dump on it. It's not meant to be Virtua Fighter, and as much as everyone here is sick of hearing that, it's the truth. If you're not an elitist you'll get some joy from it.

...if the last few games were any indication, anyway. I've not played this one yet.

Kccitystar

tapedeck said:
Absolutely. You pretty much have to figure out the crazy timing on your own, its fucked up :lol ...this game needs the combo demo feature from Soul Calibur BAD. That said, when you do figure out some of the more complex combos, the game opens up quite a bit. Sub-Zero is awwwesome.

This.

The jump kick to the slide has always been my bread and butter since MK2 but I cannot for the life of me pull that shit off as a successful move (See combo #5 with Sub-Zero).

The next revision of MK vs DC should have weak/strong punches/kicks, like MK2, none of this Attack 1/2 crap, and aside from special moves, each character should be different. I remember in MK2 (and I use that game as an example because that, to me is the perfect MK) some players had slower/faster roundhouse kicks, others had faster/slower uppercuts, etc. They never played the same.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Kccitystar said:
This.

The jump kick to the slide has always been my bread and butter since MK2 but I cannot for the life of me pull that shit off as a successful move (See combo #5 with Sub-Zero).
I was able to beat that one, the window to link the slide is just ridiculously small. Ive noticed a few instances where I pulled off the combo in the challenge, it registered all the hits as a combo...and it didnt count for some reason. >_>

One thing I can tell you is to not mash the buttons, just input the exact button presses as quick as possible (unless it asks for a pause) without over inputting commands. That seemed to help me with alot of em.
The next revision of MK vs DC should have weak/strong punches/kicks, like MK2, none of this Attack 1/2 crap, and aside from special moves, each character should be different. I remember in MK2 (and I use that game as an example because that, to me is the perfect MK) some players had slower/faster roundhouse kicks, others had faster/slower uppercuts, etc. They never played the same.
Yep. The only move that should be the same in my opinion is the uppercut.

mr stroke

game plays sold so far, no complaints other than the blood :(
Fatalities are soooo week, they should have went for a "friendship" or something else. Trying to be bloody just doesn't work.
having fun though as the game plays just like MK Deception.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Halvie said:

Bull. I used to bike an hour out of my way to play the only MKII machine on test in my area back in the day. Loved the series before it went all spoggly around MK Gold.

There's nothing to sink your teeth into in this game. It's a nice stunt, and it's a fun couch multiplayer game for a while, but you can blaze through all the content/kontent in two days.

DihcarEM

Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
Which version are you picking, people? 360 or PS3?

Which one is better?

I asked the same question a page or so back and still haven't gotten a response.

From what i could gather, control wise the ps3 d-pad is better, online the x360 wins.
Ign had a head to head but it's only for Insiders.
So graphically i still don't know which version is better or if they are simply equal.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can't believe I actually had a reasonable amount of fun with this game. o.0 The animation and backgrounds could use a lot of work, but, overall it's fun.

Sub Zero is my main whenever I get the chance to play the game. I can't pull off some of his more sophisticated combos though. It's kinda odd that they have "just frame" shit in a MK game. o.o I like baiting people into his qcb [] or X. The one where he freezes himself, and slams down on them with an ice sword, if they connect. His teleport is obvious as fuck, but good for catching asshole flash players when they slip up on a run.

This game is a step in the right direction, for sure.

Grecco

Picked it up yesterday. Its 50 bucks at Circuit city and with a Gamers clube it ends up being 45 bucks.

Loving it so far. Its got its issues. Its not perfect but damn its fun. Best MK game in years. Better than The 3 Gamecube/ps2/xbox games.

Its got a shit load of jaggies, pretty bad loading. And god damn some of the DC characters are done terribly. They absolutely did not research Wonderwoman at all.

But kicking Jaxs ass as Hal Jordan. FUN!

DihcarEM

Finally got my copy today, i had orderd the x360 version, but i had to wait on the exact release date for it, while they(in Belgium) were already selling the ps3 version. Decided to change my order and just got the ps3 version instead.

So far i'm really enjoying it, never really liked MK after it made the jump to 3d.
Most fatalities are stupid but there are some that are worth it. There seems to be a lack of dismemberment which i think is part of DC's doing, not wanting WonderWoman's head chopped off or something like that.
Even so the gameplay is really fun, and when you use rage is also very important.

Content wise i am a little dissapointed, but Boon already stated there will be DLC, and it seems on the character-screen that there's place(2 on each side) for atleast 4 other characters. I'm really hoping 2 of those will be Johhny cage and Doomsday.
They've also should have put in costumes, i mean the DC's universe have like lots of different ways they are shown in comics, i would have liked Batman to wear the Batman Beyond costume.

Also what do you guys think the chances are for Dark Knight costumes for Batman and Joker? WB and DC are involved in the game's making, so they shouldn't have any problems with the skins right? After not having a game ready when the most succesful comicbook movie was released, you would think that they would try to make money of it in other ways.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Infinite combo with Superman using his ground pound with ProMove add-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToOv1yNU1h8

Nobody found this one before it went gold? :lol

DihcarEM said:
They've also should have put in costumes, i mean the DC's universe have like lots of different ways they are shown in comics, i would have liked Batman to wear the Batman Beyond costume.

You know, it's a comic nerd thing, but this is one of my biggest gripes with the game's presentation. All these possibilities for 2P colors and what do we get? Paler red Flash. Paler blue Superman. What the hell?

Give Superman a Bizarro 2P skin. Or even just the Red Son outfit or the Kingdom Come suit. Slap a yellow bat symbol on 2P Batman. Make 2P Flash the Reverse Flash outfit. 2P Green Lantern could be John Stewart or Kyle Rayner, or at least their outfits. Hell, slap Gene Hackman's wig onto the 2P Luthor just to have some fun and differentiate them.

Tons of lost opportunities in this game as far as DC nerd shout-outs. Of course, it's always possible they're hoping to sell them to us as DLC later.

DihcarEM

MattKeil said:
Tons of lost opportunities in this game as far as DC nerd shout-outs. Of course, it's always possible they're hoping to sell them to us as DLC later.

I think that's what they plan on doing. I mean why would they give it to the fans for free when they can charge money for it?
I would understand new characters for DLC, but come on, costumes? That's pretty cheap of them.
And if there is going to be DLC costumes then they should put a lot of them in one package for a cheap price.

Anyanka

In interviews they said they couldn't put in real 2P costumes for legal reasons. DC has to approve everything and there was no chance to do two different looks when they were going back and forth on a standard costume already. DLC is possible I suppose.

Dark Knight costumes sound completely out of the question. They were told they couldn't have Batman or Joker look anything like it. It's a different license.

DihcarEM

Anyanka said:
Dark Knight costumes sound completely out of the question. They were told they couldn't have Batman or Joker look anything like it. It's a different license.

Thanks for the info Anyanka.
So do people think that this might mean that there still might be a Dark Knight game coming?
Batman Asylum also doesn't have the Joker or Batman looking anything like their movie counter part.

DMczaf

DihcarEM said:
Thanks for the info Anyanka.
So do people think that this might mean that there still might be a Dark Knight game coming?
Batman Asylum also doesn't have the Joker or Batman looking anything like their movie counter part.

I wish Criterion would use the TDK license for Burnout Paradise, since EA still has the rights.

Tumbler and Batpod!

kbear

I'm loving the game so far.

- Combat is a lot of fun and flashy, nothing too deep (which is the way I like it, I can't stand Virtua Fighter type combat)

- Animation is good, I don't get why so many people were complaining about it. It's fine

- Character models and moves look great

- I'm playing the story mode and chose the Mortal Kombat side and am having a fun time. It's probably the best story mode in a fighter since most don't have one. They put some decent effort into it with all the cutscenes and stuff

- Overall, I really enjoy it and am glad I didn't listen to all the clowns blindly bashing this game. Can't wait to play some real people as well

Got my copy today, for the 360.

Sadly, the D-Pad is ruining this game for me, the characters jump instead of doing the fucking special moves. I just can't manage to do some basics technics involving the special moves because of this.

So, anyone knows a Third Party Controller (Arcade Sticks not included) for the 360 that actually let you play Fighting Games properly?

Halvie

Banned
mr stroke said:
man waiting times online are long? I hope this sold sell, I shouldn't have to wait 4-5 mins for a match

Do you have it for the 360? I am not sure what the online lobby is like, but on the PS3 you can see all the people in the room and challenge anyone so I don't see how you are waiting 5 minutes for a game....unless you are amazing and scare anyone from playing you.

hit detection is sort of getting annoying.

Which characters do you guys think are the post powerful?

Batman's drop out of the air thing is pissing me off lol

edit: also seems like this game is selling terribly on ps3. Most people I have seen online is around 300 or so.

mr stroke

been playing online all day, and out of any online fighter I have played this has the best netcode ever. Zero lag. even better than VF5. every fighting game should be copying what Midway is doing.

Top Bottom