• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK vs DC Official Thread of T rated goodness and unnecessary konsonant substitution

Wow this game is alot of fun and brings back alot of childhood memories of the older Mk games. FUCK the haters!:D

BTW loved when playing as Flash on the DC story mode. You run into Kano and he says "You'd give Kabal a run for his money!":lol

ragingadamo said:
Are you sure about that?

Without trying to start a war I am going to go ahead and say I put this game in the same category as DOA in the sense that people can button mash and still feel fairly successful.

As someone who has played VF5 competitively and plays SF3:third strike very seriously, I can confidently say that if anyone tried button mashing in either of those games against me they would be quickly owned.

I am not trying to change your opinion of the game, just trying to say that people like and play games for different reasons :D

You basing your whole qualification of the game around your own player skill is bad. I understand not being able to play friends in your main games, I'm in that boat too. You want a game that you can play with your buddies without them quitting out of frustration, I get that. But your argument falls apart once you bring up DOA (or any other specific game for that matter.)

If you have a player who understands the game playing against someone who doesn't, the experienced player is going to win 9 times out of 10, even in DOA.

Even in Mortal Kombat.

It's a bad justification for picking this game up. If you simply want a game that you know as much as your friends, you could pick up countless other games you didn't mention. Tekken, Soul Calibur, Super Turbo, etc... You don't have to stoop to the lowest common denominator (hence my Rise of the Robots quip.)

Of course there are people who like MK for what it is, that's fine by me. The main people here who are grinding my gears are those lumping all fighting game players as basement dwelling number crunchers, which simply isn't true. I can recognize Mortal Kombat is a bad fighter without having to know VF or 3S inside out. MK was first made to simply cash in on the fighting game craze with added over the top gore to attract more players. As far as gameplay, the basic fighting system, it has always been sub-par. Sales figures and popularity contests aren't going to change that.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
So, the next MK will be mature again right? i hope they use this engine but refine it, id go for a nowgen mk where you can rip out spines.

JdFoX187

Banned
Tiduz said:
So, the next MK will be mature again right? i hope they use this engine but refine it, id go for a nowgen mk where you can rip out spines.
There were rumors that they were going to alternate between this series and a traditional MK series if this game was succesful. Don't know how truthful those were though.

Game came in this morning and I'm having a blast with it. It's good to have the feel of the old MKs back again.

tribal24

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
My favorite thing about this ending is how the guy sounds like he's screaming "IT'S OKAYYYYYYYYY!" every time he falls.

lol i like the fact that jax doesnt care two shits about sonya:lol :lol :lol he was at walking distance from her lmao:lol :lol :lol lol

evil ways

My girlfriend got it on checkout at her work, and I played it for a few hours. Not even the DC characters or my curiosity for the over the top, cheese filled MK-esque endings and storylines makes me want to pay $60 for this or even play it for much longer. I basically played as Subs & Scorpion, did their fatalities, tested a few DC guys and that's it, got boring.

You know the funny thing is that after Armageddon, Boon said the next MK game would be completely reworked from the ground up with new gameplay, fitting for the next gen consoles and we end up getting this shit.

msmma

Banned
Dont know if anyone else has posted this, but the game will run at 1080p if your tv supports it!

This game looks amazing on my Bravia 1080p set.

Im having a blast with it.....the combo challenges are kicking my rear end....hahahahahaha

I'm going to dive into the story modes tonite.

evil ways said:
My girlfriend got it on checkout at her work, and I played it for a few hours. Not even the DC characters or my curiosity for the over the top, cheese filled MK-esque endings and storylines makes me want to pay $60 for this or even play it for much longer. I basically played as Subs & Scorpion, did their fatalities, tested a few DC guys and that's it, got boring.

You know the funny thing is that after Armageddon, Boon said the next MK game would be completely reworked from the ground up with new gameplay, fitting for the next gen consoles and we end up getting this shit.

and this just adds more fuel to my hate rant.

msmma

Banned
"You know the funny thing is that after Armageddon, Boon said the next MK game would be completely reworked from the ground up with new gameplay, fitting for the next gen consoles and we end up getting what my opinion, is shit."

Fixed for accuracy.

riskVSreward said:
This would've affected me similar if I hadn't learned not to trust what Boon says about 5 years ago.

I stopped trusting Boon when I played MK3 in the arcade and wondered "WTF is this shit?!?"

MK2 was GREAT and the high point for the series, it's ALL been downhill from there.

Never really played an MK before, but holy shit...this game is fun. Now I usually don't like fighting games (I picked up SC4, but never got into it) but this one seems to have a perfect balance to keep me interested and give me a little bit of a challenge at the same time. And as for the couple of the gripes IGN had about the game (the close quarters combat, for example) I really don't find that problematic.

I wonder how Jeff and Brad from Giantbomb will score the game...

Anyone else who is playing it really finding that the whole mk mixed with dc is not bad as first thought? I mean when I first heard about it, I thought "WTF!" After playing it though, it somehow works and works well imo.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Anyone else who is playing it really finding that the whole mk mixed with dc is not bad as first thought? I mean when I first heard about it, I thought "WTF!" After playing it though, it somehow works and works well imo.

I actually like it. If you think about it, it's kind of a good design model because you have a reason for so many characters to fight each other. For example, you have all the factions in the MK universe and then you have 2 factions (the good guys and the bad guys) in the DC world. So everyone hates each other plus no one knows what the eff is happening in the story mode, so everyone just fights each other :lol . I'll admit it sounds goofy in concept, but like I said before...I like it.

Btw, Green Lantern's voice is soooo bad its funny.

Spike

The game is pretty fun. My brother and I have been having a blast playing it since yesterday.

Oh, and BTW, The Flash rocks!

msmma

Banned
Nice to see the good feedback on this game. I know I'm loving it!!!

Maybe you haters should give it a try!!! :lol

Spike said:
The Flash rocks!

Indeed he does. I busted out laughing the first time I saw how fast he moves :lol

GAZERK said:
So everyone hates each other plus no one knows what the eff is happening in the story mode, so everyone just fights each other :lol . I'll admit it sounds goofy in concept, but like I said before...I like it.

THE RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! You must fight it!!!!!

fernoca

msmma said:
Maybe you haters should give it a try!!! :lol
Why?
Ed Boon shouldn't be trusted and raped my family....MK sucks since MKI..so it always sucked....MK is not as deep as [Insert any other fighter here], even when I can finish that other game with the same charatcer and teh same combo in every iteration
Sucks ,sucks, sucks, sucks..Shitty Kombat, etc..

:p

fernoca

The Mortal Kombat side thinks that
Shao Kahn's new invasion army is the DC Universe-characters..
...and vice-versa...throw in there that each side already have it's own adversaries, so they just don't know anything other than they've been invaded and most stop the "alien forces" from invading the Earth.

RobbieNick

Yea, that's what sickens me about GAF. People hating all over a game without even trying it. "This game has mild violence, ergo it must suck!!" God, what morons. Play the fucking game! It's awesome.

RobbieNick said:
Yea, that's what sickens me about GAF. People hating all over a game without even trying it. "This game has mild violence, ergo it must suck!!" God, what morons. Play the fucking game! It's awesome.

Yup, that's exactly why people dislike it.

The funny thing is, I still find MK games to have some of the most brutal looking hits in a fighting game. I mean some of them look just painful. This one is no acception. Love the battle damage on their characters.

Piscopink

slasher_thrasher21 said:
The funny thing is, I still find MK games to have some of the most brutal looking hits in a fighting game. I mean some of them look just painful. This one is no acception. Love the battle damage on their characters.

I agree!

This was the first thing I noticed when I got to play it at E3. The Flash has a move where he will run behind his opponent and deliver some nasty kidney punches. It looks beyond brutal.

I have to say MK vs DC is a hell of a lot of fun, and the only game to pull me away from playing Fallout 3.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.giantbomb.com/mortal-kombat-vs-dc-universe/61-20449/reviews/

Giant Bomb gave it 5/5

Jeff Gerstmann said:
Given the way the last few MK games have gone in terms of redesigning the core concepts of the fighting and presenting a cast of characters that weren't as memorable as the ones that debuted back in the 2D days, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe feels like the refreshing start of a new era for Midway's fighting series. It probably won't change your mind if you're not into the genre, or even if you're into the genre but have already made up your mind about the MK series. But if you're open to the idea of more Mortal Kombat, you'll find a terrific game here.

RobbieNick said:
errr not really, if anything people are complaining about the lack of violence, I mean Liu Kang's Fatality doesn't even kill his opponent! Then there's the fact it plays like crap like the previous MKs since DA.

Yeah that 5/5 giant bomb review is nice, though shocked they gave it a 5 outta 5 really, just unexpected. The flow of combat is nice. Seems like there is lots of moves as well. I think anyone on the fence with this game should give it a try. For all those bitching about fatalities being sub par...please, enough already. This is coming from a MK fan since day one, if I can handle so can you. Man up.

outsidah

Well I've been having more fun with it, but playing it online really lets you see how broken some of the gameplay is. Whats up with the massive hit detection misses at times? Its either slow or fails to pickup certain strikes at all.

Some folks online are fans of being turtles as well.. duck and block... how how fun.

Guy Legend said:
Custom soundtracks for the PS3 version!
Nice. :D

Good! The music from the game itself sounds pretty lame, and it can be Epic to play a Match with the Superman and Batman Themes from Danny Elfma playing in the background....

Fanfares FTW!

POSSIBLE NOOB QUESTION: Using custom soundtracks from the HDD in the X360 version takes out the voices, sounds and SFX effects or just the music?

What about the PS3 version?

Mike T

I played through both story modes so far using a Hori EX2 stick. I'm transitioning from SC4 so the movement feels very limited, but I'm overall satisfied with the way the stick is used for this game. You may want to remap some of the buttons, especially the grab button. By default it's the left bumper, which means you have to reach up with your stick hand hit it. This makes running grabs very difficult to do (though I just recently discovered that you can hit A+X for a grab as well).

MK v DC doesn't have the same depth as some other fighters but it's still fun, especially if you have friends over for some versus matches.

robot

Mike T said:
MK v DC doesn't have the same depth as some other fighters but it's still fun, especially if you have friends over for some versus matches.

This is it in a nutshell. It's a fun fighting game that obviously can't be compared to games like Virtua Fighter 5 or Third Strike given the lack of real depth. It's just a different type of fighting game.

I haven't played a 3D MK Fighter ever, so I'm not sure what's been rehashed and what hasn't. The wall breakthroughs and mid-air fighting bits are really cool, especially getting that last hit off in the air. The moves are flashy and overpowered, it controls a little stiff, but all can be looked past since the game is a riot to play through. The old deep MK voice is there, great sound (esp if you have 5.1), surprisingly nice graphics and a ton of beating the crap out of each other. And so far the few characters I've tried kicked ass, especially Batman. Stringing together some of his moves with the Batarang feel so awesome.

It's worth at least a rental if you're on the fence about it, or are looking for a fun game to kill some time

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I caved and bought the game, played through and beat the MK side of story mode and now playing on Arcade. This game is damn fun, its got a great MK feel. Playing with custom soundtracks on fucking owns btw. For those of you on the fence, make no mistake, this game is light years better than the last three attempts and the graphics are amazing on my HD tv. Ironically this game looks TONS better during gameplay than it does in cutscenes...go figure. To it seems that some characters play great and are fun as all hell while other flat out suck. But the sucky ones are in the minority thankfully. Oh and I actually like the combo challenge mode, if nothing else because it shows you what can be done with the characters.

DihcarEM

GAZERK said:
Ok I'm a noob at the game. How do I learn some fatalities?

Well if it's like the older Mortal Kombat's, then you just learn the button sequence to pull said fatality off. If there isn't a list in the manuel or in the game, then you can still find them online.

A question for those that have seen both versions. Is the game the same visually on both consoles?

RobbieNick said:
GAF doesn't hate it because it's got a T-rating, GAF hates it because it's Mortal Kombat. The overarching mentality at these forums when it comes to games is that if it's not a 10, then it's a 0. Mortal Kombat is not and never has been a 10. Therefore, it will be treated as a 0.

Top Bottom