• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Metfanant

-game is GORGEOUS....there are some framerate issues in non-gameplay scenes as described in the IGN review...but gameplay is butter...

-what is everyone describing as "forever" in the install process? What kind of time are you seeing?

I put the game in...took maybe 30 seconds to load up....my brother and I looked through the create a player options for a bit...and played a game with the fast counts turned on...by the time we were dome with that everything was ready to go...

Obviously it was longer than any other games I have played...but it's not like it took hours or anything...I do have a 7200rpm HDD installed, but I can't imagine that made a huge difference...

All these framerate problems and long install times are confusing me... I had the game since friday not once did I see framerate dips and the game took prob 20mins to fully install

DoctorZ

All these framerate problems and long install times are confusing me... I had the game since friday not once did I see framerate dips and the game took prob 20mins to fully install

The framerate drops only really occur during cutscenes. i.e. Side view of batter with crowd in background, etc.

During gameplay its pretty smooth from what I've played, only 50% downloaded.

Metfanant

I found it a little choppy in "cut scenes" like walking to the plate, or showing the dugout scenes...though the game was installing and could have effected that...I didn't play another game after it was installed

As for the install...I'd say the game took between a half hour and an hour to fully install...I can't be sure because I played a quick count game with my brother and it was installed by the time we finished...but I couldn't tell you at what point of the game it finished...

Question, I'm playing on my 55 inch and there are black bars on the sides, top and bottom. Is that normal? And if not how can I change it? It's really annoying me lol.

Strider

Just came back and was away for 30 minutes or so. My install went from 17% to 28% in that time frame :/ Hopefully it speeds up.

FHIZ

Question, I'm playing on my 55 inch and there are black bars on the sides, top and bottom. Is that normal? And if not how can I change it? It's really annoying me lol.

I had that problem with the PS3 Show titles. I think you can go into the system settings in the display section, where you either have to make sure you're in 1080p, or fixed the display area scale. Not sure which one cus it was fine for me from the get go this time around.

SRTtoZ

Did my running/workout for today and gonna run to Gamestop in a few to pick it up. Can't wait.

Quick question, does not playing the game speed up the install process?

I had that problem with the PS3 Show titles. I think you can go into the system settings in the display section, where you either have to make sure you're in 1080p, or fixed the display area scale. Not sure which one cus it was fine for me from the get go this time around.

Problem solved!! Thanks :)

gzero

Ha. Every time I hit a home run... Those eyes...

Bm_QW79CcAEdLCt.jpg

U2NUMB

Pretty mixed opinion after a number of RTTS games... I played a number of games on the PS3 and while it does look better it is not a massive upgrade.

Still a fun game and that is what counts.. load times are killer though.

Any new player tips for hitting? That's definitely the most challenging part. Lost my first game 5-2.

Easier said than done, but be patient and only swing at pitches you want to put in play. Don't swing at a pitch just because it's in the strike zone.

Oh and my advice would be to turn guess pitch off and just guess for yourself, because the penalties for not guessing right are pretty steep if you put it in play.

Jrmint

Easier said than done, but be patient and only swing at pitches you want to put in play. Don't swing at a pitch just because it's in the strike zone.

Oh and my advice would be to turn guess pitch off and just guess for yourself, because the penalties for not guessing right are pretty steep if you put it in play.
Wait if I hit R2 before a pitch it penalizes me? I thought that just showed where the previous pitches against that guy were.

Has anyone created an online franchise yet and had difficulty starting it? It says "Starting online franchise activation" telling me to wait a few mins but it's been like an hour?

i want to play pheeniks. that is the topic of this post. here is what happens:

1. he challenges me from friends menu. i get no challenge notice.
2. i challenge him from friends menu. he gets no challenge notice
3. i try to go into one of the lobbies. they are full.
4. i try to go into one of the other lobbies. i can't access the lobby because my skill level isn't high enough

so i can't challenge a person on my friends list and i can't get into any of the lobbies because there are only 4 "beginner" lobbies and they are all full. off to a great start!

so to challenge, you need to hit the touch pad in any menu, go to friends, "challenge" your friend. THEN, your friend you challnged needs to hit touch pad on any menu, go to "my challenges" and find the challgne. it doesn't look like you get a PSN Noticiation of challenge. nice -_-

U2NUMB

So Um... I am having an issue with my game. Out of the blue the below happened.. I have restarted the game.. it still happens. I had played about 15 RTTS games and the save originated on a PS3 which I pulled down from the cloud. Anyone else have this issue or know how the crap I fix it?

I forgot about the screen capture feature so reached for my phone.. but you get the point.. even the crowds are gone...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Jrmint

And to be better at hitting, it's just a matter of practicing pitch recognition and getting better hitter counts, just as in real life. It takes time to get good at the Show. It's a hard game.
Think it's worth doing practice mode? I was thinking about doing that. Or just playing games?

Also does leveling up in this game do anything?

Beboh13

Banned
How bad is the framerate and loading times? Maybe I'll wait for a patch/price drop..

The framerate is bad in the batter closeups and cutscenes. However, it has improved a lot in the actual gameplay areas. The loading times are a lot longer than last years PS3 version.

slapnuts

Just got my copy from gamestop a few hours ago. Blown away how bad ass this game looks....a nice leap over PS3 edition as far as visuals so far, Crowds react better and look much more varied and real now but the damn stadiums!! Holy Scmholy.....im in awe with some of the stadiums. Granted some stadiums look ok in real live so of course they look just "ok" in this videogame but some of the more cutting edge stadiums...my goodness it looks uber sexy on PS4.

The sound, the sound the sound the sound....well to be honest i do have thousands and thousands of dollars put into my Home Theater surround sound setup but man..it sure the heck is at a much higher fidelity over the last gen ps3 edition....the sound is phenomenal.

There are some bugs that i heard will be fixed though...some weird lighting issues which i havent noticed yet but last nights stream with one of the devs said would be addressed in a future patch.

Gosh i've only played a few games and im super stoked to far! Hell yeah baby!!!

Strider

Anyone else trying out dynamic difficulty? Won easily my first game but it's already notified me it's increasing the difficulty for my next game.

Quick counts is great. I remember this feature being in a game waaaaaay back. All Star baseball 99 maybe? I've always wanted it added to the show so I'm glad it's finally here.

The framerate is bad in the batter closeups and cutscenes. However, it has improved a lot in the actual gameplay areas. The loading times are a lot longer than last years PS3 version.

someone needs to clock them.. casue i played the shit out of mlb 13 on ps3 and 14 is not even close from what i remember..

So Um... I am having an issue with my game. Out of the blue the below happened.. I have restarted the game.. it still happens. I had played about 15 RTTS games and the save originated on a PS3 which I pulled down from the cloud. Anyone else have this issue or know how the crap I fix it?

I forgot about the screen capture feature so reached for my phone.. but you get the point.. even the crowds are gone...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

That's just "Feel The Magic" Mode.

HiiiLife

I'm sorry of this has been answered already but I currently don't have access to online. I haven't even gotten the new firmware update. But what I was wondering was.. Is there a day one update for this game?

I'm sorry of this has been answered already but I currently don't have access to online. I haven't even gotten the new firmware update. But what I was wondering was.. Is there a day one update for this game?

Yes there is, it was there on Friday when I picked up the game.

Think it's worth doing practice mode? I was thinking about doing that. Or just playing games?

Also does leveling up in this game do anything?

I would just play games to become better at situational hitting. Like concentrating on just making contact with a man at 3rd and less than two outs, when to get greedy on a 2-0 or 3-1 pitch. Like I said the Show is hard, but it's not unfair. You will get better.

Leveling up? You mean the XP? In previous versions it didn't do anything.

Wulfegang

So I just tried to create a team and when it asked for "Location Name", the city of "Huntington" is considered vulgar and not allowed. I shortened it to "Hunting" and got the same error. "Hunt" is fine though....

Linconan

I'll check this one out once its up for AU (EU store).

Gunna do a Sharefactory vid, got a wicked idea if it works. hehe
Or it's probably done all ready....shit....

*goes and checks Youtube*
lol

zychi

Banned
Remote install via the playstation app/standby ps4 was a godsend. As soon as I saw this thread say it was up, I set it to download, got home a few hours later, all set and ready to go!

I can't get save live roster to work properly tho. The ticker tells me theres one available, but it disconnects everytime.

abrack08

Anyone successfully download the OSFM roster yet? I've tried three times, game freezes when loading after I hit "Browse Rosters"

And right after I post this the menu finally pops back up, then I'm immediately disconnected.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just got my copy from gamestop a few hours ago. Blown away how bad ass this game looks....a nice leap over PS3 edition as far as visuals so far, Crowds react better and look much more varied and real now but the damn stadiums!! Holy Scmholy.....im in awe with some of the stadiums. Granted some stadiums look ok in real live so of course they look just "ok" in this videogame but some of the more cutting edge stadiums...my goodness it looks uber sexy on PS4.

The sound, the sound the sound the sound....well to be honest i do have thousands and thousands of dollars put into my Home Theater surround sound setup but man..it sure the heck is at a much higher fidelity over the last gen ps3 edition....the sound is phenomenal.

There are some bugs that i heard will be fixed though...some weird lighting issues which i havent noticed yet but last nights stream with one of the devs said would be addressed in a future patch.

Gosh i've only played a few games and im super stoked to far! Hell yeah baby!!!

I only have my TV speakers, but I agree, the sound is awesome.

Remote install via the playstation app/standby ps4 was a godsend. As soon as I saw this thread say it was up, I set it to download, got home a few hours later, all set and ready to go!

I can't get save live roster to work properly tho. The ticker tells me theres one available, but it disconnects everytime.

Probably the typical issues with anything online related in The Show. I guess most people (unsurprisingly) can't do anything online related as it's launch day and as we all know The Show has been a mess in the online department for quite awhile.

JABEE

What the hell is with this game? I already installed it and now I have to wait to use any of the features?! The stadiums aren't even downloaded. This is a disc-based game.

Maybesew

Just got home with the disc and threw it in. Thought I would start with home run derby. Nope, can't do tbat until more of the game is downloaded. Not online, not offline.

Top Bottom