• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010 Thread of Beret-Wearing Hippies Can Get the Frappé Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

xbhaskarx said:
There is no IP limit, only a minimum.
There can't be an IP limit because IP is one of the pitching stat categories (IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB).

Is that not yahoo, or is it different per-league? I definitely have an IP limit. This is what the Max games help page says:
Maximum Games

Each active batter position on your roster has a limit for maximum number of games played. Your entire pitching staff has a cumulative limit for total innings pitched.

Players on your bench don't contribute to these limits, and limits are not counted for individual players (just starting positions).

This table tracks how many of each you have used, how many you have remaining, your projected pace and the maximum allowed.

Once you exceed a maximum, you will no longer accumulate stats at that position.

Mrbob

MLBTV just got a lot more useful to me. This is some hot shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/technology/22sony.html?hp

The Sony Corporation will announce Thursday that it has signed a deal to bring Major League Baseball’s live streaming service to PlayStation3 video game consoles.

By the end of the week, PlayStation owners will be able to sign up with MLB.TV to watch out-of-market baseball games transmitted over the Internet. It is the latest in a series of digital distribution deals recently announced by sports franchises.

Sony said the baseball deal signified its repositioning of the PlayStation console as a hub for digital entertainment. Peter Dille, the senior vice president for the PlayStation Network at Sony Computer Entertainment America, said in an interview on Wednesday, “This is more than just a game console. This is a device that is redefining how content is being delivered to the living room.”

If I can stream all of MLBTV HD features on PS3 that would be awesome. I'll order it this week.

sangreal said:
Is that not yahoo, or is it different per-league? I definitely have an IP limit. This is what the Max games help page says:
You play in roto leagues, obviously. Those have an innings limit for the season.

What he's playing in has to be a custom H2H league.

And see, Kev?

sangreal

CajoleJuice said:
You play in roto leagues, obviously. Those have an innings limit for the season.

What he's playing in has to be a custom H2H league.

And see, Kev?

Got it, thanks. This is my first year actually doing a fantasy league

sangreal said:
Got it, thanks. This is my first year actually doing a fantasy league
Yeah, no problem. It can be confusing. Last year was the first time I did roto and I didn't know about the innings limit until after the draft. But it turned out as well as I could have possibly hoped, haha.

Oh, H2H = head-to-head and means you have weekly matchups against the other teams in the league. What you're in (roto) compiles the stats from the entire season and ranks the teams in each category.

sangreal

By the way if you want to talk about jinxes -- Hughes lost the no hitter the instant Baseball Tonight started the live cut over

Lambtron said:
If there's a way I can get in-market games on my PS3, I will sign up.
Users of the PlayStation Network online service will be able to gain access to the existing MLB.TV package, which includes hundreds of baseball games — excluding local team games and others that are broadcast on TV — for an annual fee.
:(

Doytch

mlb.tv on PS3 news is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Hopefully the UI isn't ass and everything works nicely, def gonna be using this.
Mr. Bowman indicated that services like MLB.TV on the PlayStation are supplements, not replacements, for cable and satellite viewing, which is highly lucrative for sports franchises.

“There’s no empirical evidence I see that our fans are substituting one for the other,” Mr. Bowman said.
:lol Last year I taught my sister how to use proxies so she wouldn't have to get cable: the Jays were the only thing she wanted to wach.

hiryu2015

Wellington said:
Thanks a lot Phil Hughes, now I feel like shit at work. :|

I saw where it was going in the 6th so I turned it off. Woke up to a win but also a really tough break for Phil--he couldn't find the pitch or what?

Doytch said:
mlb.tv on PS3 news is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Hopefully the UI isn't ass and everything works nicely, def gonna be using this.

:lol Last year I taught my sister how to use proxies so she wouldn't have to get cable: the Jays were the only thing she wanted to wach.

Here is a screenshot of the user interface. looks nice, hopefully it runs smooth! I need to get my Halos baseball in!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20003130-261.html

Get'sMad

Fuck yeah @ MLB.tv on PS3. I hope it works smoothly that way I won't have to hook up my laptop to my TV anymore when I want to get some big screen baseball action.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Yesterday afternoon I offered a guy 1:3 on Halladay not having a CG shutout. Meaning he risks 3 and wins 1 if anything else happens other than a CG shutout. If Halladay lasts 8 2/3 or gives up 1 unearned run, he still wins the bet. And he wouldn't take it! Fucking Braves.

Doytch

God I really hope it works in Canada, or I can just use an American PSN account.

Just for fun: Mo | Hughes
v98ow.png
2e16rdk.gif

213kgeh.png
j7ueq8.gif

4rrmh2.png
r8fls2.gif

Looks like Hughes' cutter normally maxes around 1600rpm, whereas Mo's starts there.

Sharp

Code:
Ryan Madson: number of holds after k innings / # IP

Start	     Innings pitched by reliever when player was removed
Inning	1.0   2.0   3.0   4.0   5.0   6.0   7.0   8.0   9.0     holds
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
9th+	0                                                       0
8th     46    3                                                 49
7th     17    15    0                                           32
6th     3     6     4     0                                     13
5th     0     0     0     0     0                               0
4th     0     0     0     0     0     0                         0
3rd     0     0     0     0     0     0     0                   0
2nd     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0             0
1st     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0       0

total   66    24    4     0     0     0     0     0     0       94

2003: 0
2004: 7
2005: 32
2006: 6
2007: 7
2008: 18
2009: 26
Total: 96

I'm missing like two holds... anyway, factoring in the data from my other post (which you should read eznerk),

P(blown save within 1.0 IP | potential save ^ started in 6th inning) = 2 / 15 ~= 0.1333
P(blown save within 1.0 IP | potential save ^ started in 7th inning) = 8 / 41 ~= 0.1951
P(blown save within 1.0 IP | potential save ^ started in 8th inning) = 5 / 56 ~= 0.08929
P(blown save within 1.0 IP | potential save ^ started in 9th inning) = 4 / 16 ~= 0.2500

I bolded these two factors because it's interesting... while he pitches slightly worse than league average during a 1-inning save situation in the 9th, he pitches SIGNIFICANTLY better than league average in his first inning outside the ninth. His overall career not-blown-save ratio in 1.0 IP of 0.1959 is also much closer to (and in fact below) the expected blown% of .2622 for a league-average pitcher.

So, what do I conclude from all this? I was selling Madson short; he's a better than league-aveage pitcher. He's definitely still affected by save situations, though--I don't really feel like calculating it out, but when you include all the holds you actually have a fairly sizeable sample and his 9th-inning / not-9th inning splits suggest that he is nearly twice as likely to hold outside the ninth inning as he is to hold in the ninth inning. And the fact that he has held literally every single time he's gotten past his first inning without blowing a save is absolutely absurd. Is Madson a "stuff" pitcher who can't be touched when he's on fire and is extremely hittable when he doesn't "have it"?

Anyway, I think I'm done for a while on save-hold analysis, but it's safe to say that (1) Madson is actually a pretty good reliever, and (2) he regresses to league-average play when it comes to closing games in the ninth. The real question is whether a team like Philly can afford to have a merely average pitcher close out their games, considering that a league-average pitcher gives up about a run every two innings on average.

eznark

Banned
Sorry I have been on the road, posting from my phone. Only way ill go back and rread this is if you pm me the post links, just way too big a hassle to scroll through old pages.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
captmcblack said:
Are you/those graphs suggesting that Hughes learned Mo's cutter?
Judging by those graphs, Mo's cutter is a little less striaght, thrown from a more consistant release point, and with a crapload more spin rotation.

So, no.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
xbhaskarx said:
Based on the CNEt video I'm not sure it will let you watch 2-4 games at the same time...
Yeah the Boxee player doesn't allow this so i doubt the PS3 will. Anyway, I already have my desktop hooked up to my TV so I probably won't use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom