• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windu said:
to be fair, Fernando Martinez would make a good ball boy. Have you seen the giants ball "boys"? they need all the help they can get.
Please, the guy hasn't really gotten a chance and is made out of glass. Let him play more than 20 games in the MLB before saying shit like that.

Saw some of the Cespedes video, the guy has plus power. Strong build. Hit some shots in the vid.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Please, the guy hasn't really gotten a chance and is made out of glass. Let him play more than 20 games in the MLB before saying shit like that.
I think my comment was more offensive, on a few levels.

Sanjuro

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Your sensitivity is made out of glass.

Sanjuro

Windu said:
he would still make a great ball boy
Sorry, all the balls and boys references instantly put that Top Gun song back into my head.

WAIT I GOT IT, It's like my 80s sexuality is made out of glass.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sorry, all the balls and boys references instantly put that Top Gun song back into my head.

WAIT I GOT IT, It's like my 80s sexuality is made out of glass.
scratch the pool boy/ball boy. How well does he play volleyball?

Doytch

I thought the Giants wanted a CF?

Oh and yeah, the Cespedes video was amazing. I can't wait for the next Up and In podcast to hear Goldstein talk more about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lambtron said:
Bill Smith is out as Twins GM. Terry Ryan is stepping in as interim GM. I am so happy I could cry.

Terry Ryan will now proceed to work his magic and trade your waifu.

Seriously a great day for the Twins and their fans though.

Doytch said:
I thought the Giants wanted a CF?

Oh and yeah, the Cespedes video was amazing. I can't wait for the next Up and In podcast to hear Goldstein talk more about it.

Are you a fellow point niner?

BFIB

Jose Reyes to meet with the Marlins?

Could Hanley be on the move? I'd like to see him in a Cards uni.

Lambtron said:
Bill Smith is out as Twins GM. Terry Ryan is stepping in as interim GM. I am so happy I could cry.
You're the first person I thought of when I got the text alert.
nemss said:

Marlins already said they'd be willing to move Hanley to 3B if they could sign someone like Rollins or Reyes.

Windu

nemss said:

hanley would probably just move to third

Doytch

darkside31337 said:
Terry Ryan will now proceed to work his magic and trade your waifu.

Seriously a great day for the Twins and their fans though.

Are you a fellow point niner?
Nah, started listening when he went on the Espn fantasy focus and never went through the old stuff.

Sanjuro

What kind of contract you think Freddy Garcia could command? He had a pretty good year pitching in the AL East.

Windu

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
What kind of contract you think Freddy Garcia could command? He had a pretty good year pitching in the AL East.
2y 10-12 mil, and that would probably be overpaying. I wouldn't expect much from him besides 150 innings. I doubt anyone gives him a multi year deal though.

Sanjuro

Windu said:
2y 10-12 mil
That's what I was thinking. I think he is going to do his best and try and get that third year even at reduced pay, but doubt it. Still could be a solid signing especially in the NL.

Sanjuro

I'm just bored glancing over the 2012 FA list. Besides the obvious big names out there, there are several players out there I would kick the tires on. Going to be curious how many of end up playing.

Dre3001

Before Game 7 of the World Series, Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington explained to the media that no grandiose pep talk was necessary to rally his team. Sure, they were attempting to bounce back from one of the most dramatic loses in World Series history, but the skipper promised the media that no "rah-rah speech" was needed.

It turns out he was wrong, on several levels. Washington gave a whopper of a speech and the Rangers lost anyway. Eh, details details.

One notable member of the World Series media contingent hinted that Washington's pre-game address was "priceless" and had members of his team laughing, but the substance of the fodder was never known. That is, until now.

Thankfully, the speech was recorded by a member of the Rangers clubhouse staff. He wished to be unnamed (obviously), but thought we would be interested in the audio anyway. Um, duh. What you're about to hear is pretty tremendous…and probably not suitable for open-air speakers in the home or work environment.

Damn.

We all know Ron Washington is a character. He's outgoing, animated, and personable. But, wow. The vitriol in this six-minute diatribe was a little unexpected. Do most Major League Baseball clubhouses sound like pirate ships behind closed doors? Of course. But we didn't expect Ron Washington to morph into Samuel L. Jackson before Game 7 of the World Series.

Since inquiring minds seek knowledge, here are some word tallies from the clip above...

fuck: 16
motherfucking: 13
cocksucker: 5
bitch: 2

Oh, and exactly one "all for one, one for all" Three Muskateers reference (4:42).

Ironically enough, that might be oddest thing in the bunch.

http://vimeo.com/31675320

Washington is sounding like a young Samuel L Jackson.

Marlins are meeting with Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle. They are also said to be "way, way in" on both Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.

The Phillies are also in discussions with Jonathan Papelbon, but they want Ryan Madson back. If they can't bring Madson back, they are going after Papelbon.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Marlins are meeting with Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle. They are also said to be "way, way in" on both Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.
i feel like i'm in an alternate universe. I can't wait till the braves have the lowest payroll in the NL East.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Wren actually said they were going to bump up payroll in 2012.
yeah probably just to keep up with inflation. Funny looking at our payroll compared to the ted turner/time warner days. Pretty sad.

edit: the new cba will also probably bring higher minimum salaries too. So yeah, inflation and higher min salaries i think is the really the only reason they would raise payroll.

The Frankman said:
That's why I posted it as "let Bay believe it was the park". Bay has so much motion and hand movement in his swing his stance/stride is fucked up, nvm his declining bat speed and questionable plate discipline...

Never mind his questionable use of PEDs:
The Hypothetical Case Against Bay

The circumstantial evidence against Bay as a PED user:

- His minor league numbers spiked after he left the Padres to join the Pirates. Radomski was supplying the Pirates clubhouse.

- A 132OPS+ rookie season in 2003 at 25 years old after career SLG% of 491 in the minors looks downright suspect.

- Steve Phillips' "he was a special case" comment (thought to be) implying that Bay was a "late bloomer", may have been Phillips' cute way of outing him (just as he outed other Mets, Alomar for instance, for PED usage), and let's be honest about Phillips, he has a stellar reputation for airing dirty laundry in post-GM life .

- The Boston clubhouse wasn't exactly the paragon of virtue for steroids use. (Granted few were in and around that time).

- Shoulder injuries are known to be associated with steroid use (referring to the one he had in Boston).

- Finally, the benefits of using steroids are residual insofar you can retain the benefits for a number of years until a serious injury. However when the muscle degrades through inactivity the benefit is permanently lost. Therefore, lengthy spells on the DL may have contributed to his current decline.

Sanjuro

I would be more worried about the heroin addiction that Terry Collins has or the sexual abuse charges against children Johan Santana has racked up from this prior season.

francesa-golf-tourney2.jpg

Joper Turnah shouhd noht be fiyad okayh!?

Marlins are meeting with Mark Buerhle today. Meeting with Jose Reyes tomorrow.

Royals GM Dayton Moore told a radio station that even after acquiring Jonathan Sanchez from the Giants, they are interested in acquiring Carlos Zambrano from the Cubs.

"We would have to be interested. We would have to explore it because that's what you should do. You should explore every opportunity. Carlos Zambrano is a heckuva competitor. Carlos Zambrano has had a lot of success in the major leagues. Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field. Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of. Obviously the Cubs grew tired of some of his outbursts but I believe in our coaching staff and we'll always take a chance and a risk on certain players. We'll see how that particular situation unfolds."
Zambrano's due $18 million next season in the final guaranteed year of his contract and has a $19.25 million club option for 2013. The option automatically vests if Zambrano finishes in the Top 4 of Cy Young voting.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
AnEternalEnigma said:
Zambrano's due $18 million next season in the final guaranteed year of his contract and has a $19.25 million club option for 2013. The option automatically vests if Zambrano finishes in the Top 4 of Cy Young voting.
Bolded part is hilarious.

Doytch

CygnusXS said:
Bolded part is hilarious.
I really want to know how they decide on clauses like that. Course, it only looks stupid in hindsight, the option wouldnt have looked as dumb back then.

Doytch

6326894068_ed3a0a009c_z.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuu. Honestly I rarely wear sports shit, but I'm gonna buy the fuck out of something (on nov 17, after 5pm natch). Jersey will get wishlisted prolly.

Ohshit, retros are half-off. $58 for Alomar...,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom