• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
To recap on all the happenings for October 30:

-- The Giants have re-signed Javier Lopez to a 2-year, $8.5 million contract. He will make $4.25 million in 2012 and the same in 2013.

-- The Giants exercised Jeremy Affeldt's $5 million 2012 club option.

-- The Red Sox exercised Marco Scutaro's $6 million 2012 club option.

-- The Brewers declined Francisco Rodriguez's $17.5 million 2012 club option, making Rodriguez a free agent. He gets a $3.5 million buyout. His option would have automatically vested if he had finished 55 games in 2011; he only finished 36. He finished 34 with the Mets before being traded to the Brewers, where he was used as John Axford's setup man. He only finished 2 games with the Brewers.

-- The Brewers declined Yuniesky Betancourt's $6 million 2012 club option, making Betancourt a free agent. He gets a $2 million buyout.

-- The Cardinals exercised Yadier Molina's $7 million 2012 club option.

-- The Cubs exercised their half of Aramis Ramirez's $16 million 2012 mutual option, but Ramirez declined his half, making Ramirez a free agent. By doing so, Ramirez also forfeited his $2 million buyout.

-- The Rockies declined Aaron Cook's $11.125 million 2012 mutual option, making Cook a free agent. He gets a $0.5 million buyout.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i still can't get my head wrapped around the giants giving that much money to two relievers.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Windu said:
i still can't get my head wrapped around the giants giving that much money to two relievers.
baseballhowardtroll.gif

Levyne

Banned
Article said:
2036: Andromeda Galaxy Quasars
Quasars def. Chicago Cubs, 4-3
A reincarnated Ted Williams hits .407 during the regular season, becoming the first major leaguer to top the .400 plateau since he did it in his previous life

wtf

hemtae

Khold said:
Hey the Astros almost overtook the Cardinals last year!

(Yeah it was a dumb pick)

They were like 10 games away from the Cards and I'm pretty sure they never broke .500

BFIB

LaRussa announcing his retirement right now.

Wow, I wonder what the Cards have in mind for their next manager? It truly is the end of an era in St. Louis. At least we went out on top.

I know he has a lot of haters, and I sometimes was left scratching my head. But he also brought the team a lot of success.

Who's the next Cards manager?

BFIB

Apparently he told the owners in August that he feels its time to step away.

I have no idea who the Cards could be looking at next. Everyone seems rather surprised so far, really figured he'd be back for one more year since he has a mutual option with the Cardinals.

eznark

Banned
nemss said:
Apparently he told the owners in August that he feels its time to step away.

I have no idea who the Cards could be looking at next. Everyone seems rather surprised so far, really figured he'd be back for one more year since he has a mutual option with the Cardinals.
ouhrT.jpg

BFIB

eznark said:
good fucking riddance

LOL.

3 Pennants, 2 World Series Titles. 2nd in playoff wins since '01, all with the Cardinals since '95

6 overall pennants, 3 world series championships. 4 time manager of the year.

He makes a lot of moves that leaves everyone scratching their head, but thats pretty impressive.

eznark

Banned
nemss said:
LOL.

3 Pennants, 2 World Series Titles. 2nd in playoff wins since '01, all with the Cardinals since '95

6 overall pennants, 3 world series championships. 4 time manager of the year.

He makes a lot of moves that leaves everyone scratching their head, but thats pretty impressive.

Exactly. Good fucking riddance.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:
Exactly. Good fucking riddance.

Wow you are unbelievably bitter.

TLR is a baseball legend and one of the greats for one of the historically great MLB franchises, just deal with it. I for one can't wait for the 5 minute long Tim Kurkjian retrospective on TLR in the near future.

Speaking of managers, Nationals picked up the option on Davey Johnson.

According to an article in the NYT yesterday, he considered putting Motte in the outfield for the bottom of the 9th in Game 7. That would have been the LaRussa-iest way imaginable for him to retire.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Wow you are unbelievably bitter.

TLR is a baseball legend and one of the greats for one of the historically great MLB franchises, just deal with it. I for one can't wait for the 5 minute long Tim Kurkjian retrospective on TLR in the near future.

Speaking of managers, Nationals picked up the option on Davey Johnson.

What? Why the hell would I not be happy that LaRussa is leaving. He was successful, but against my team. He was also an annoying, stodgy, slow, old fashioned drunken hypocrite who made baseball games less enjoyable.

Great hall of fame manager. Glad to see him go.

BFIB

Why wouldn't fans of other NL Central teams not be bitter? The Cards have knocked around the NL Central for the most part since '95. Eventually the hate is going to rise. And after this year, I'm sure its at an all time high.

First ballot HOF for sure. Can't wait to hear his speech in '17.

Doytch

Why should I like TLR? He was a grade-A DUI asshole who enabled roiders on his team. Whether he was good or not, he's not the kind of person I want to cheer for, just like I don't get excited about the Clemens years in Toronto.

BFIB

According to John Mozaelik, he's not wanting to waste a lot of time in searching for the Cards next manager. Said he thinks they have a "few avenues" already open.

I'm guessing Dave Duncan also steps away. Can't blame him, with his wife and her health issues.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fredi Gonzalez can be had for a bucket of balls, we'll even pay for his flight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom