• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Indians start a series with the Tigers tonight. I think the Indians have lost 17 in a row or something to them.* Ubaldo vs. Porcello. Detroit has a bunch of free swingers, so it might help Ubaldo out.

* - probably not true

I hate watching games at Progressive Field.
john-adams-drum-ccjpg-adbad5ed837cee55_large.jpg

ToxicAdam

I love the effect John Adams has on fans. He only drums when there are Indians in scoring position. So, it's naturally going to be a tense time for the opposing fans listening to the game. I think that's why they despise the guy's drum so much.

Also, it's a great audio cue to pay attention to the game if I am doing other things while working in the yard.

Opiate

Pujols WAR: -.6

Beltran WAR: 2.0
Furcal WAR: 2.0
Combined WAR: 4.0

Differential: +4.6 for the Cardinals

If Beltran and Furcal provide 0 WAR for the rest of the year (which is actually possible, given how injury prone both are), Pujols would need to play like a 6.2 WAR player for the rest of the season just to catch up. Last year's total WAR for Pujols was 5.1.

verbum

Right Now we running on all cylanders. Not bad for a projected 4th place team.

Not bad at all:
Each week during the season Athlon Sports looks at the best and worst baseball teams in the league. Here's our MLB Power Rankings for May 21, 2012.

 1. Dodgers—Won 9 of 11, five of them without Matt Kemp.

 2. Orioles—Closing in on June with best record in American League.

 3. Rangers—Lost four of seven vs. sub-.500 teams.

 4. Braves—In the midst of what could be 41 straight vs. winning teams.

 5. Rays—Scored 13 runs in last five games, but managed to win two.

 6. Nationals—Stephen Strasburg beats Orioles with arm and bat.

 7. Blue Jays—Casey Janssen has three perfect saves.

 8. Yankees—Only 8-11 since Mo Rivera’s last save.

 9. Marlins—Best team in baseball this month.

10. Cardinals—Costly injuries have caused evaporation of division lead.

11. Reds—Ended the weekend within a half-game of St. Louis.

12. Indians—Batting .264 vs. righthanders, just .210 vs. lefties.

13. Phillies—Finally jumped over Mets to get out of cellar.

14. Tigers—Austin Jackson (not Fielder or Cabrera) has Tigers’ best OPS.

15. Mets—Tough luck for Johan Santana: 1-2, 2.89 ERA.

16. Giants—13 players have outhomered the Giants this month.

17. A’s—Josh Reddick is only bright spot offensively now.

18. White Sox—Showed the Cubs who their daddy is.

19. Red Sox—Starting pitching has made an about-face.

20. Diamondbacks—Welcome sight getting Chris Young back in lineup.

21. Mariners—Swept Rockies in Denver without throwing ace King Felix.

22. Angels—Fired hitting coach Mickey Hatcher; improved 0.2 runs/game.

23. Pirates—Paltry .254 OBP in May leaves offense in trouble.

24. Astros—Winning record at home, getting killed on the road.

25. Brewers—Ryan Braun swinging hot bat in May (.381).

26. Royals—Irving Falu has 12 hits in seven major league games.

27. Padres—Have two fewer home runs than Josh Hamilton.

28. Twins—Breaking even (3-3) against their own division this season.

29. Rockies—Rockies are crashing and burning.

30. Cubs—Bryan LaHair is fifth in majors with a 1.044 OPS.

Not a great website, lots of webclick bait, but I agree with their rankings.
http://www.athlonsports.com/mlb/2012-major-league-baseball-power-rankings-may-21

Yankees should be last they've been so awful with runners in scoring position.

Was at the game last night. By the end of the game it was the fewest people I've ever seen at the stadium in person. Shitty weather but I've been to plenty of shitty weather games (I seem to summon rain clouds whenever I go).

At this point it's more of a footnote, but why is Garcia pitching. EVER. He is a well-basted turkey that has been in the oven for four hours with an internal temperature of 170 degrees.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Adrian is starting in right field tonight. Interesting.

nickcafardo
Adrian Gonzalez walked into Bobby V's office after Monday night's game and volunteered to play rightfield then spent afternoon practicing.

Looks like he really likes playing the outfield.

Hopefully Sony follows the same pattern.

Fuck no. But maybe they'll stop resting on their laurels a bit if somebody else enters the fray.

Don't see anybody else doing it though.

Sanjuro

nickcafardo
Adrian Gonzalez walked into Bobby V's office after Monday night's game and volunteered to play rightfield then spent afternoon practicing.

Looks like he really likes playing the outfield.

Yeah, he wasn't "that" bad out there during the Philly series. Our outfield is just decimated.

Huh? Sony can keep making first-party MLB games for the rest of eternity. So can Nintendo! Being back Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball!

I know they can, just wish they wouldn't. Give me a solid multiplatform version EA.

McNei1y

http://kotaku.com/5912483/major-league-baseball-2ks-cancellation-is-confirmed

"Our legacy Major League Baseball agreement will sunset in fiscal 2013," a Take-Two spokesman said, meaning in the coming 12 calendar months. "MLB 2K12 is our last offering under that agreement. At this time, we have no further comment."

MLB 2K series is officially dead.

It's time for EA to rise from their grave! Bring back MVP thanks.

W2Y2O.gif

Please EA. You really need to. It's been 7 years! I need a good Xbox baseball game!!

ZeroRay

Didn't 2K have an exclusive third party contract with MLB? So no third party could have competed with them even if they wanted to.

Yeah the MLB and NFL deals include third party exclusivity.

High Heat had the best pitching mechanic because there wasn't one. You were basically the catcher calling the game. You called the pitch type, general location and whether you were looking for a strike or ball. The rest was up to the pitcher's ability.

McNei1y

Oh man I didn't know there was that exclusivity deal. Oh well, at least its over now. EA really needs to jump on it. Their soundtracks alone are worth the buy.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just looking over Latos' stats... dude's broken, huh? Batted ball profile is messed up, way more walks. Sample size, park effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom