• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I know you can't divide by zero, but multiplying anything by zero just gives you zero, so that chart wouldn't work for Lee's numbers.

But the chart was cost per win, so you would be dividing by the number of wins. The higher the cost per win the worse, not the lower.

Link

The Autumn Wind
But the chart was cost per win, so you would be dividing by the number of wins. The higher the cost per win the worse, not the lower.
True. For whatever reason, I was working the math backwards (wins x cost per win = salary). But yeah, that's after the division was done to come up with the chart in the first place.

So in conclusion: I'm dum.

Freddy Galvis suspended 50 games for roids.

Lolol.
tumblr_m1iu13K1eJ1qlce6q.gif

clemenx

Banned
Expected from Galvis. You can't have dat .267 wOBA without some roids.

Oh well, the dude has a broken back. Totally useless suspension.

Galvis did go from suck to awesome pretty quickly.

FUN FACT: Just to show you how sad the Braves offense is, guess who's leading the team in slugging percentage? Yes, the great, power-hitting Michael Bourn (.456).

Sharp

Bring on the hipster manager.

Something I noticed browsing baseball reference: Cy Young gave up 3167 runs, but only 2147 earned runs. Nearly a third of his runs were unearned. That's kind of absurd.

Mets were considering using Dickey with just four days of rest last month. Collins said could happen in the future but not at the moment. That would be interesting but theres no need for dat right now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mets were considering using Dickey with just four days of rest last month. Collins said could happen in the future but not at the moment. That would be interesting but theres no need for dat right now.

If only they had Jim Tracy as their manager.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/19/rockies-go-radical-four-man-rotation-75-pitch-limit/

Worst rotation in baseball is going into a 4 man rotation. With a 75 pitch limit. With part of the rationale being preserving the bullpen. God bless Jim Tracy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bring on the hipster manager.

Something I noticed browsing baseball reference: Cy Young gave up 3167 runs, but only 2147 earned runs. Nearly a third of his runs were unearned. That's kind of absurd.
shitty gloves, bad infields etc...

Sharp

If only they had Jim Tracy as their manager.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/19/rockies-go-radical-four-man-rotation-75-pitch-limit/

Worst rotation in baseball is going into a 4 man rotation. With a 75 pitch limit. With part of the rationale being preserving the bullpen. God bless Jim Tracy.
Trying out a four man rotation with lower pitch counts is probably a really good idea and it's a shame that the team trying to implement it has such terrible pitching.

TheNatural

My Member!
Latos whining after last night, always an adventure with the Indians and shitty Latos:

"I was a little up in the zone," said Latos, who gave up seven runs over four innings. "I thought I made some good pitches that they spit on with a runner on second base. I suppose it was kind of ironic. We changed up the signs, for the last hitter unfortunately. The outcome changed when we changed up the signs today."

“That’s kind of the idea,” Latos replied. “When you go back and look at video, a couple runners on second base, they put better swings on the ball than they did most of the time without a runner on second base. "

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Trying out a four man rotation with lower pitch counts is probably a really good idea and it's a shame that the team trying to implement it has such terrible pitching.

Yeah it is. 4 man rotation definitely makes a ton of sense for a lot of teams. The Rockies are not one of them, so this will be the end of the experiment.

clemenx

Banned

I don't see how limiting pitch counts helps at all. They'll probably have a bad reliever pitching in the 5th in half of the games.

sangreal

I like where this is going

Swishalicious is back tonight. Why even bother showing up, Braves.

Awesome. Did not notice. Yesterday he still sounded pretty bad

edit:
• Nick Swisher ran and took batting practice inside this afternoon. Girardi checked with him, and Swisher said he coudl play tonight. “He told me he was good to go,” Girardi said. “I said, we’ll go through BP and if we have to change (the lineup) we have to change it, or if there’s a point tonight where you feel like it tightens up, let me know and we’ll go from there.”

• Girardi said he might have started Swisher at DH if there were any indication that Swisher would be limited running in the outfield. Swisher indicated that he can move without a problem, and Girardi said he’d rather use the DH spot to rest Alex Rodriguez, especially with the mid-week day game tomorrow.

• Swisher on the injury: “Yesterday when I went to take my swings, I felt like when I tried to take my normal swings I couldn’t do it. I don’t want to mess with that because I feel like I have a good stroke going right now. I wanted to make sure I could do that. Robbie and I did our net drill out there and everything went well, so we’re ready to go.”

• By the way, Swisher said he could have only played last night in an extreme emergency. He said CC Sabathia would have been a better pinch hitting option. “I was telling them to put big C in there, and then I’d go in behind him,” Swisher said.

Sharp

I don't see how limiting pitch counts helps at all. They'll probably have a bad reliever pitching in the 5th in half of the games.
The theory is that just as pitchers do better in relief than as starters, pitchers should do better when starting if they pitch fewer innings at a time. There's pretty solid data backing that idea--starters always do worse each time through the order. The idea of innings-limiting actual good starters is kind of unpopular since it means giving the remaining innings to worse pitchers, but it doesn't really do that if you switch to a four-man rotation. Now you have your best pitchers pitching the same number of innings overall (or maybe even slightly more), more effectively, without ever throwing an unusual number of pitches or innings in any one start and without (historically, anyway) any increased injury risk. You also have a slot for an extra reliever, who can help deal with the innings your fifth starter would have pitched; since a replacement-level reliever is on average better than a replacement-level starter (aka fifth starter), even those innings should be of higher quality than they would be in a five man rotation.

Like I said, it's a great theory--but to maximize it you need four good starters. The Rockies' rotation is basically replacement-level so there's no advantage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom