• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I bet the crowd is confused. They should do the football thing announce what happened to the crowd.

"Oh, hey, even if they rule that I retouched second, let me run into an out."
Geeze.

For the millionth time. Baseball is weird.

No it's not.
Everything was clear and straightforward and easy to understand.

Except Judge's decision to run into an out.
I wouldn't use the term "weird" to describe that, though.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Might be the most ridiculous series of events I've seen in a long time. Why the hell is judge trying to steal second there?

Why is MLB not able to review the entire play? It doesn't matter if judge beat the throw if he never touched second.

Get your shit together MLB.

Kinda wish I had the tv audio on instead of listening to radio broadcast. They didn't explain shit

3 base running mistakes one time on base, good job

Gamecast doesn't know what to think

37763155041_6d21459a24.jpg

mjp2417

Banned
No it's not.

The Yankees have replay and knew he was going to be called out. There is literally no reason for Judge not to try to beat that out (and he nearly did).

Geeze.

No it's not.

Why not run to try to prevent the out? He literally has nothing to lose.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Judge knew he was out.
Might be the most ridiculous series of events I've seen in a long time. Why the hell is judge trying to steal second there?

Why is MLB not able to review the entire play? It doesn't matter if judge beat the throw if he never touched second.

Get your shit together MLB.
they could have reviewed it. but the astros decided not to waste their challenge and just throw to 2nd.
i'm confused as someone who is just following gameday lol.
fly ball to right is caught. judge gets caught at 2nd and has to go back to first. Gets called out at 1st. Play is reviewed and reversed. Judge is safe at first. Astros notice that Judge didn't touch 2nd on his way back to first. They decide to throw to 2nd to appeal the play once the batter gets into the box. Judge knows he didn't touch 2nd and decides to steal 1st when the Astros throw to 2nd. He gets caught stealing.

So in the box score it will look like this.

Play 1: Fly Ball to Right. Caught. Throw to 1st. Judge is safe.
Play 2: Judge caught stealing at 2nd.

appeal has to be made before next play/attempted play so trying to steal makes sense

So say they were throwing to appeal the play, not to tag him out.
As long as the fielder's on the bag when he catches the ball, it should pass, as he would catch the ball (while touching the base) before tagging him.

sangreal

So say they were throwing to appeal the play, not to tag him out.
As long as the fielder's on the bag when he catches the ball, it should pass, as he would catch the ball (while touching the base) before tagging him.

The umpire would have to decide if they were just appealing or if they tried to throw him out. Given the surprise, they would (and did) react by trying to throw him out. In that case, simply touching the base is not enough. The rules explicitly cover that

An appeal should be clearly intended as an appeal, either
by a verbal request by the player or an act that unmistakably
indicates an appeal to the umpire. A player, inadvertently stepping
on the base with a ball in his hand, would not constitute
an appeal. Time is not out when an appeal is being made.

I wouldn't be surprised if the attempted steal alone counts as an attempted play

Also, like they mentioned on the broadcast a balk would kill the appeal so again the surprise works in Judge's favor

Top Bottom