• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dem said:
Please put Nick Diaz back on the card against BJ
I've been saying this along. Make it a fight for the strikeforce belt and hype the winners of GSP/Condit and Penn/Diaz as a unification match or a two title fight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
that would be like a reward though. feed him to mayhem although he'd probably wind up ditching that presser and/or failing the drug test for that fight too

Heel

I can't believe you guys are falling for this elaborate scheme cooked up by the UFC. All according to plan...yacobud was the only one smart enough to see it. You've all been had! All credit goes to Nick's incredible method acting all these years. Truly an incredible sports entertainer.

Nick Diaz just wants to lead the Strikeforce resistance against Dana, he's not just fighting for himself, but Cung Le, Mauro, Steven Quadros, OSP, Minowaman and Spiritwolf.

AstroLad said:
that would be like a reward though. feed him to mayhem although he'd probably wind up ditching that presser and/or failing the drug test for that fight too
He already ducked Mayhem once.

iddqd

After seeing that video, I was a bit reminded of the weirdness
around karo parisyan.

They have to cut him and let him come to his senses,
White made a good point, "how can you be sure that he shows up at the fight if he
does not show up at the conference?"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
iddqd said:
After seeing that video, I was a bit reminded of the weirdness
around karo parisyan.

They have to cut him and let him come to his senses,
White made a good point, "how can you be sure that he shows up at the fight if he
does not show up at the conference?"
"I'm sorry I didn't make it to the beauty pageant, but I've never not shown up to a fight."
-Nick Diaz

ShaunBRS

Boogie said:
Someone totally needs to do a parody song of "But then I got High" with Diaz missing press conferences.
Why stop at the press conference?

I fought at PRIDE 33, but I was high
Got a gogoplata on Gomi, but I was high
Nevada State overturned it, and I know why,
'cuz I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't think he'll get cut right away. If he loses his first, whenever that is, and is still acting like a weirdo? Sure but I can't see them cutting him now.

Blackface

Banned
People really need to watch the press conference. Diaz not showing up is a HUGE deal. It's more then just unprofessional.

Gracie called Dana DURING the conference. He said Dana did the right thing, that he is embarrassed, and NOBODY knows where Diaz is right now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Blackface said:
People really need to watch the press conference. Diaz not showing up is a HUGE deal. It's more then just unprofessional.

Gracie called Dana DURING the conference. He said Dana did the right thing, that he is embarrassed, and NOBODY knows where Diaz is right now.

What is to get? Everyone knows it's a big deal and that Diaz is an idiot. No one is disputing that. Plus, he has been found in the 209.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What's crazy is that Nick is trying to make himself out to be some kind of a victim in that video?

Hey cockstain, how about instead of posting whiny bitch videos on youtube you get on the fucking phone and apologize to Dana and beg for fucking forgiveness. A man takes responsibility for his fuckups, god what a dumbshit.

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
BJM has a book out. I think it's ghostwritten by the gorgeous Loretta Hunt.

I think I'm gonna get it just for the Tank Abbott stories.

20110901091359_9781605421414.JPG

remember when BJM used to get bigger pops then most ufc fighters back in the day?

dream

yacobod said:
20110901091359_9781605421414.JPG

remember when BJM used to get bigger pops then most ufc fighters back in the day?

ya, then he got blackballed and when they were forced to use him again, Dana decided to neuter his personality and now Bruce introduces him as "Referee John McCarthy."

yacobod

Banned
wasn't it because he was reffing the Affliction events or something silly like that, or did he get involved with WAMMA?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
yacobod said:
wasn't it because he was reffing the Affliction events or something silly like that, or did he get involved with WAMMA?

No it's because he was pushing for all kinds of silly rule changes and new weight classes and was trying to get the NSAC to change those things counter to what Dana wanted.

dream

I think the NSAC considered his commentary work to be a conflict of interest. At least that was Kizer's excuse for not licensing him.

parrotbeak said:
I just picked this up for like $6 at Borders.

JSAeH.jpg

That book is okay. Clyde Gentry was there from the start.

You should read Total MMA though just to see what a book about the history of MMA written by a man who hates Zuffa reads like.

yacobod said:
IIRC it was because he was actually doing commentary for the Affliction events, and also because he started up his own MMA gym.

edit: sinatar is probably right though

yacobod

Banned
polyh3dron said:
so basically i'm pissed at nick for being a dumbfuck and at dana for being a reactionary fuckwit.

nick's is a fighter, let him fight. if he doesn't want to do promotion, then so be it. dana could fine him, take away some of his purse or whatever. he's got his marionette gsp to do the promotional rounds anyways.

would be nice if they can at least make bj/diaz happen.

desa

Wtf. Diaz really got shafted just for missing a press conference? Fine him. Take a cut from his check. Do whatever but let the dude fight. Man, I was so looking forward to diaz vs gsp.

Heel

yacobod said:
nick's is a fighter, let him fight. if he doesn't want to do promotion, then so be it. dana could fine him, take away some of his purse or whatever. he's got his marionette gsp to do the promotional rounds anyways.

I've gotta say, GSP showed signs of personality development during the press conference. It was pretty shocking. The robot has become sentient!

dream

According to Bas in the forward, BJM actually wanted to fight in UFC 2 but Rorion asked him to ref instead.

unomas

Banned
desa said:
Wtf. Diaz really got shafted just for missing a press conference? Fine him. Take a cut from his check. Do whatever but let the dude fight. Man, I was so looking forward to diaz vs gsp.

He missed back to back press conferences, one in Canada and then one in Vegas. He also lied and told Dana he would be there over the phone, it's a slap in the face to say the least. The UFC also spent 15k for his plane tickets, what a fucking asshole.

dream

I just bought Death Clutch too ($16 wtf!) and am I crazy or does Brock (or Paul E, I guess) write in Dirty Harry's voice?:

Photo%2011-09-07%209%2002%2016%20PM.png

yacobod said:

Sports Entertainment. He needs to be out there in front of the crowd.

desa

unomas said:
He missed back to back press conferences, one in Canada and then one in Vegas. He also lied and told Dana he would be there over the phone, it's a slap in the face to say the least. The UFC also spent 15k for his plane tickets, what a fucking asshole.

Well that sounds like him alright lol. Fuckin Diaz. Still, he should just cut his pay to half or something. It's a fight lots of people want to see. Oh well, Conduit is a good replacement.

desa said:

What if he no-shows the fight? Dana had no choice really.

and I really want to see Diaz get his ass kicked by BJ.

Edit: and how in the fuck can you call him a fighter. He ducked Mayhem and now ducked GSP.

Heel

yacobod said:
he's a fighter, not a personality. geez

I'd say he's more of a personality than Overeem. I'd rather watch a Diaz interview than Overeem any day of the week.

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
I'd say he's more of a personality than Overeem. I'd rather watch a Diaz interview than Overeem any day of the week.

it's definitely interesting, if a bit awkward, the lack of eye contact, the crazy talk, the paranoid looking around, like if he's actually going to be attacked or something. the guy is a character.

CaptYamato said:
Edit: and how in the fuck can you call him a fighter. He ducked Mayhem and now ducked GSP.

what in the world makes you think diaz ducked mayhem? mayhem is an irrelevant middleweight. Cesar Gracie explains here.

sazabirules said:
So if GSP wins do you guys think he'll actually finish the fight or continue to be the decision champion?

it's hard to finish top contenders, didn't you hear?

charsace

yacobod said:

The problem is not that he didn't show up for the press conference. The problem is that he disappeared and no one, not even Caesar Gracie, knew where he was. He could have told Dana that he wouldn't do the press circuit. His that hard to do?

Top Bottom