• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

The Reem was over here on the studio lot I work at in Hollywood yesterday, he was hanging out in the writers' offices on the Dexter show and my buddy who works on the show was trippin out. Said Reem was really cool and he got a picture with him. Reem said he'd be moving out here so I'll probably see him around one of these days.

Heel

BigKaboom2 said:
That is an awesome lineup but January seems so far away.

Yeah. Holding out hope for a Final 16 in October but they're running out of time. If K-1 gets going we're in for some great kickboxing in the coming months. Otherwise it's going to be a long wait 'til January...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
polyh3dron said:
The Reem was over here on the studio lot I work at in Hollywood yesterday, he was hanging out in the writers' offices on the Dexter show and my buddy who works on the show was trippin out. Said Reem was really cool and he got a picture with him. Reem said he'd be moving out here so I'll probably see him around one of these days.

More about where you work. Curious as to how you got the gig, as I'm trying to involve myself in the same business (although I'm here in NYC).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
polyh3dron said:
Why didnt you asked him to knee you in the face? It would be such an honor! ;)
Is Like asking for his autograph or somethin'

Heel

If anyone has the urge to watch some fights, a UK promotion has a free stream starting right now.

Cage Warriors Fighting Championship: Fight Night 2

CWFC Welterweight Championship
Arni Isaksson vs. Gael Grimaud

Ihab Janeb vs. Mohammed Ali
Merv Mulholland vs. Amir Gerandokov
Sheila Gaff vs. Angela Hayes
Mike Ling vs. Jack Hermansson
Cathal Pendred vs. Danny Mitchell
Conor McGregor vs. Nicklas Backstrom
Zac Stratton vs. James Saville

MrOogieBoogie said:
More about where you work. Curious as to how you got the gig, as I'm trying to involve myself in the same business (although I'm here in NYC).
I work for Technicolor in their sound department, I'm trying to work my way up to be a sound mixer for movies but I'm just running our vault right now.. Got the gig because of my years of experience in mixing, engineering and producing music and I'm trying to make a career change because the music biz sucks balls.

Heel

ABKxi.jpg

EH20e.jpg

Boogie

Nick Diaz, fighter who loves to fight:

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=7631

“If you look at my life over a long term period I couldn’t give a s**t. I honestly don’t know, if I got locked up right now, I don’t know if I’d want to come back. I’m coming in here every day, going, ‘Why the f**k am I doing this right now?’ I could be, like, f**k this whole thing.”

“Anything is better than what I have been going through. Maybe it’d be better to be locked up in prison. I’ve been trapped in this prison, and after every fight there is another… See, you don’t understand. When you get outta jail, that’s what it is… If I fight the fight, I win. I get out, I get off a little while and then get locked back up…”

And in his final statement in the magazine interview he perhaps gave us the clearest indication yet that his mind was not right to face GSP, stating: “Am I looking forward to the fight? No. If I fight, I lose, no matter what, win or lose. If I fight. Period. I don’t look forward to anything like that. I look past that, like, ‘Holy s**t… if I win this s**t I’m f**king stuck in this game.”

Ya, yacobod, that sounds like a man who's a fighter, who just loves to fight, to "scrap". That sounds like a man who is absolutely dying to "quench his competitive spirit."

yacobod

Banned
Boogie said:
that sounds like a man who's a fighter, who just loves to fight, to "scrap". That sounds like a man who is absolutely dying to "quench his competitive spirit."

When gsp has a fight as exciting as diaz/daley let me know. Gsp would never stand with paul daley, or hell he won't even stand with carlos conduit. He may rack up wins, but he ain't going to win any fans with his play it safe prosaic fighting style, he will never be the best with his style. He will always be behind fighters like anderson or fedor in my book.

IMACOMPUTA

yacobod said:
When gsp has a fight as exciting as diaz/daley let me know. Gsp would never stand with paul daley, or hell he won't even stand with carlos conduit. He may rack up wins, but he ain't going to win any fans with his play it safe prosaic fighting style, he will never be the best with his style. He will always be behind fighters like anderson or fedor in my book.

At least GSP doesn't get lucky wins. He outclasses his competitors.
He's got a pretty sustainable method of fighting, unlike some guys. Let him win how he wins.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
IMACOMPUTA said:
At least Jon Fitch doesn't get lucky wins. He outclasses his competitors.
He's got a pretty sustainable method of fighting, unlike some guys. Let him win how he wins.

See, it works too.

Boogie

Diaz/Daley was exciting partly because it was back-and-forth.

Of course, if that defines exciting for you, GSP can't be that exciting because GSP mostly runs through his opponents without them even having a chance. You've got to poke him in the eye and half-blind him just to make it competitive. ;)

But we both know that GSP has had plenty of exciting fights.

"He ain't going to win any fans with his play it safe prosaic fighting style"

Not going to win any fans, except for being the second biggest draw in the sport, right? You realize GSP headlined the best-selling UFC PPV of the year so far, right?

Boogie

alr1ghtstart said:
GSP is popular because he is attractive and Canadian, and he has leftover fans pre-Serra.

You spin it however you have to, bro.

Hughes III, Serra II, Fitch, Penn II were all great fights that came post-Serra.

bone_and_sinew said:
I think after this debacle, Nick Diaz should be demoted from "fighter" to "personality".

Agreed.

DKehoe

He's also one of the best interviews in the company. People only think of good talkers as guys like Sonnen or Tito who can trash talk. But GSP is one of the best at "cutting a promo" in the company.

Boogie

DKehoe said:
He's also one of the best interviews in the company. People only think of good talkers as guys like Sonnen or Tito who can trash talk. But GSP is one of the best at "cutting a promo" in the company.

GSP has provided as many quotable memes as anyone else in the UFC:

Getting down on his knees and begging for a title shot post-Sherk. "and now, everybody, I want you to listen to me. I'm going to go to my knees, like that, and ask the UFC, my next match, to give me a world title shot. Please! I want the belt so bad! Please, give it to me!"

"He beat me fair and square--I'm sorry, fairly squarely"

Getting into the cage after Hughes-Penn II and going "Matt, I am happy you won, but I am not impressed by your performance"

"“I knew I hurt him, because when I threw my first elbow... he said AARGH'"

"No one can 'andle my riddum"

yacobod

Banned
The only planned change to the categories I'm going to make at this point is I might add an anti-personality or cigarette break section for the miller brothers, jon fitch, and other non-descript white fighters that are primarily wrestlers, who can be defined as gritty or grinders.

charsace

yacobod said:
So what you're saying is that instead of dominating a fighting in a safe way he should give the other guy a chance to beat him? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying to me.

yacobod

Banned
charsace said:
So what you're saying is that instead of dominating a fighting in a safe way he should give the other guy a chance to beat him? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying to me.

I am the roman mob and I demand blood, if I wanted to watch wrestling I'd tune into the ncaas. I rather watch shogun throw hammerfists thru machidas face like he owes him lunch money, then a wrestling match. Its called Ultimate Fighting Championship afterall.

Different strokes.

New Rule: From this day forth everyone has to call him Carlos Conduit.
yacobod said:
I am the roman mob and I demand blood, if I wanted to watch wrestling I'd tune into the ncaas. I rather watch shogun throw hammerfists thru machidas face like he owes him lunch money, then a wrestling match. Its called Ultimate Fighting Championship afterall.

Different strokes.
This.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
charsace said:

You are not dominating a fight if you're holding someone down and winning on points. GSP certainly isn't the most boring wrestler, though.

RJ077.png

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Tito vs Rich on FOX.

UFC’s first show to air live on FOX will have Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos, fighting for the heavyweight title, as the only fight to air live, but the card will have more good match-ups.

Former light-heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz and former middleweight champion Rich Franklin are expected to battle on November 12in California.

“Ortiz’s next fight will be against Rich Franklin, at UFC on FOX 1,” Ricardo “Demente” Abreu, Tito’s training partner, told TATAME on Thursday. “He’s out of town travelling and I haven’t spoke with him for a couple days. As far as I know that’s the fight, but it’s not signed yet”.

Ortiz is coming of a TKO loss against Rashad Evans, stepping up on short notice to replace injured Phil Davis, a month after submitting Ryan Bader with a guillotine choke. Rich Franklin doesn’t fight since a decision loss to Forrest Griffin, and he doesn’t win two fights in a row since 2008.
http://www.tatame.com/2011/09/08/Breaking--Ortiz-vs-Franklin-in-the-works-for-UFC-on-FOX

Dana just tweeted it: Penn vs. Diaz

meh.

they still have time to fix this, switch it around and make it what it was originally supposed to be. I hope Dana comes to his senses. GSP vs. Conduit will be yet another 5 round LnP snoozer.

polyh3dron said:
Dana just tweeted it: Penn vs. Diaz

wtf??? i mean wtf??? this doesn't make any sense, why cut diaz from the #1 title fight just to put him into the co main even anyway? can someone post the my head is full of fuck pic?

if this is real then i am amazed dana white got to where he is today by making retarded business moves like this, why the FUCK didn't he just leave diaz fighting for the title? wtf was the point of cutting him if youre gonna put him on the #2? be a fuckin man instead of acting like a pissed off child and cut him from the card completely, dont fuck over your fans because you made a rash decision infront of a bunch of people at a press conference and had to show everyone whos in charge...

this is a complete paradox and contradiction, you cut the guy for not showing to a presser of a UFC event, but now youre letting him fight, ON THE EXACT SAME CARD, for the presser he didn't show up for - does not fucking compute

yacobod

Banned
oh how quickly public opinion changes.

while penn vs diaz will be amazing, i'd much prefer the original matchups. the main event between slippery georges and conduit will be a snoozer.

Norml

Chamber said:
Alright, that's fuckin stupid. Might as well let Diaz keep the title fight.

They really should.Just seems so dumb to waste all the work already put in, plus the hype for fans.

Top Bottom