• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what what what.

should be a good fight, but still. i dont get it. cant we go back to the OG matchups now?

Norml

I see Diaz rocking Penn and submitting him.It definitely would be the best thing for him to do anyway.Penn's BJJ seems overrated to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So if Diaz wins we get this whole circus all over again. Then if Penn wins we get a third match with GSP.

Lose/Lose

Chamber said:
So if Diaz wins we get this whole circus all over again. Then if Penn wins we get a third match with GSP.

Lose/Lose
yep this is definitely not par for the course in regards to Joe Silva's win/win matchmaking philosophy

dream

Be objective, Chamber. We still don't know who the better fighter is between GSP and BJ Penn because of bad judging and cheating.

ldcommando

Banned
Wait, wut? Guy trolls the ufc and still co-mains?
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
It should be a good fight, but I also prefer the original match ups.
Maybe Diaz and Conduit win so we can have a awesome title fight next year, believe.

dream said:
BJ has never been rocked in his career and suddenly Nick is gonna do it with his pawing jabs?
Nick's "pawing jabs" KO'd Paul Daley. Diaz will outwork BJ who will quit just like he quit against GSP.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
Be objective, Chamber. We still don't know who the better fighter is between GSP and BJ Penn because of bad judging and cheating.
I have no idea what you're talking about, sir.

Norml

dream said:
BJ has never been rocked in his career and suddenly Nick is gonna do it with his pawing jabs?

I hope anyway,but should at least take it to him enough so they go to the ground.

Panzon

Non of this makes much sense but the co-main event is enough for me to buy this card its gonna be one hell of a scrap

Boogie

Jaladinozozo said:
if this is real then i am amazed dana white got to where he is today by making retarded business moves like this, why the FUCK didn't he just leave diaz fighting for the title?

Because if he leaves Diaz in the title shot, there's absolutely no consequence for his behaviour in acting like a childish dick and blowing off the press conferences.

So he does get punished, but we still salvage the card by still having Penn get a good matchup. Here's hoping Penn has it in him to give it to Diaz.

As for yacobod, how will GSP/Condit be a "snoozer"? Condit is just as aggressive a fighter as Diaz is.

Boogie

parrotbeak said:
Fuck it those are going to be awesome fights either way.

Pretty much. Condit/Diaz are pretty much interchangeable in terms of how the excitement they bring in the cage.

The ME loses the shit-talking of Diaz against Georges, but that's about it.

Boogie

Norml said:
I see Diaz rocking Penn and submitting him.It definitely would be the best thing for him to do anyway.Penn's BJJ seems overrated to me.

If anything, Diaz' BJJ is overrated.

Penn is a BJJ world champion. Diaz is not.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dream said:

i dont think you throw in the towel between rounds if you arent getting rocked ;)

i think this is awesome. Let diaz prove he belongs in the ufc. I have always backed him, but strikeforce vs ufc talent is very different. I think diaz can pull this off.

Boogie

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i think this is awesome. Let diaz prove he belongs in the ufc. I have always backed him, but strikeforce vs ufc talent is very different. I think diaz can pull this off.

Though style-wise, he's lucking out by not getting a wrestler. BJ's a better matchup for Diaz than GSP was.

BJ's excuse "I under trained for Carlos then over trained for Nick, that's the only explanation for my loss...come join my after part at Circus Circus!"

parasight

Is it really that hard for people to understand? They didn't keep the matches because of two very obvious reason: a) to punish Diaz and b) in respect to Condit for taking the fight and flying out to Vegas yesterday to get it done

I'm in the camp that would rather have the original pair of fights, but it's really the only option they had after making the announcement yesterday.

In terms of predictions I see the GSP/Condit fight looking like the first 2 rounds of Rory/Condit but 100 times more dominant. As good as Condit is off his back, he's not fought someone with the level of top game as GSP. BJ/Diaz will basically be dependant on BJ's cardio. BJ is better than Diaz at everything other than size which he obviously has no control over. I wonder if Dana would give Diaz FOTN, considering there's a good chance this fight will be.

Boogie

Norml said:
Penn might be a champ but the chance of him actually using BJJ is very slim.

Of course the chances of him using his BJJ is slim.

Because neither BJ nor Diaz shoot for takedowns. This is totally going to be a standup fight.

dream

Look, I love Nick Diaz but I just don't see any way he wins the fight.

I also don't see any way the fight is entertaining. ):

Boogie

parasight said:
Is it really that hard for people to understand? They didn't keep the matches because of two very obvious reason: a) to punish Diaz and b) in respect to Condit for taking the fight and flying out to Vegas yesterday to get it done

I'm in the camp that would rather have the original pair of fights, but it's really the only option they had after making the announcement yesterday.

Yep, it really was the obvious choice. So obvious that tons of people speculated that Dana should do this.

dream said:

And you think his fight with GSP was going to be any good? He was going to get his ass kicked. Just like he was going to do now.

Boogie

dream said:

You don't see any way that Penn/Diaz is entertaining? Are you fucking with us, dream?

yacobod

Banned
dream, besides the miller brothers and jon fitch, who else should i add to the anti-personality cigarette break group of fighters?

Norml

Boogie said:
Of course the chances of him using his BJJ is slim.

Because neither BJ nor Diaz shoot for takedowns. This is totally going to be a standup fight.

I dunno ,I just see Diaz having a bigger arsenal and threat on the ground because of his longer limbs,BJ is good at defending though.

dream said:

Diaz taunting is enough for entertainment for me.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Look guys. Diaz was hot shit in the minors but 170 is so stacked that he is going to be reduced to a fancy gate keeper.

Nick is going to be more successful in the ufc than overeem.

parasight

yacobod said:
dream, besides the miller brothers and jon fitch, who else should i add to the anti-personality cigarette break group of fighters?

I would say Jon Madsen, but he's not even important enough to mention.

Top Bottom