• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moé/Lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

EviLore said:
The last outstanding anime tv releases I can think of were Baccano! and Seirei no Moribito, both from 2007. The Baccano people have a new series now, as mentioned, and I'm definitely keeping an eye on that one. Seirei = Kenji Kamiyama, who was the awesome writer/director behind Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, and he followed Seirei up with Eden of the East, which was pretty good but just the setup for the three Eden anime films on the way, so waiting on those.

As for the rest of the notable people for me in the industry...

-Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Samurai Champloo) could probably bring us out of these shitty times single-handedly but remains inactive.

-Yasuhiro Takemoto

-Goro Taniguchi

-Masahiro Ando

That's the type of anime I'm talking about...sooo good.

Opiate

As someone who has no interest in anime outside a select few exceptional pieces -- mostly from Miyazaki -- how is the industry doing as a whole? Are sales down or up compared to 5 or 10 years ago? Stagnant?

Opiate said:
As someone who has no interest in anime outside a select few exceptional pieces -- mostly from Miyazaki -- how is the industry doing as a whole? Are sales down or up compared to 5 or 10 years ago? Stagnant?

Way, way down. And dropping.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My tastes definitely skew towards the late 80s-mid 90s era stuff, and I've been watching anime for a long time at this point, and I definitely think that the quality of stuff has deminished a bit. I think the perv-y little girl fetish-y stuff is really gross, but I really, really adore Strawberry Marshmallow. The main characters are young girls but it's just a weird show about random stuff that happens, and most of the time it's pretty hilarious. Most of the modern things I like are that kind of relaxed slice of life type show.

jmdajr

SonicMegaDrive said:
Way, way down. And dropping.

The last Anime I bought was.... Akira on Blu Ray. Yup, not even anything new.
For those that love that movie I must say it's never looked better!

I know some hardcore fans view things like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Spriggan,Wicked City, Berserk as just action/violent non sense, but heck I loved that stuff. It looked fuck awesome and catered to my tastes. Granted that's not ALL I watched....I did like comedy like GTO ,the original Tenchi Muyo, 80s anime like Dirty pair, and Mayazaki of course. Oh well..they will never make em like they used to. sucks.

faridmon

its really sad and funny at the same when people complain about thsi and completely miss the awsome ones that have been released those past 4 years. Kaiji, One Outs, Kaiba, Baccano, Spice and Wolf, Darker than Black, Chi's sweet Home, Ghost Hound, Alison and Lililian, Oune Outs, Cross game, One Outs, Ookikke Furakabutte, Library Warrs, Gurran Lagann and much more awsome animes.

you know screw it, 90% of people in this thread don't even know what Anime is and like to complain about it.

FRICKING ONE OUTS people.

jmdajr said:
The last Anime I bought was.... Akira on Blu Ray. Yup, not even anything new.
For those that love that movie I must say it's never looked better!

Love it.

But my only (minor) gripe? No Streamline dub.

Yeah, everybody complains about that. But it was my first exposure to the film, dammit!

FLEABttn

Banned
I bailed I just as the loli/moe stuff really took off. I haven't seen anything new since Tsukihime. Everything started to feel really derivative, or really perverse.

I know certain people say "You just gotta look to find the good stuff" but I don't really want to wade through piles to shit to find it.

Tamanon

Banned
The only anime I even buy now are the Code Geass episodes when they come out and I'll start buying Bleach boxsets again once they're past the Bount arc on DVD. Besides that, there's been almost nothing of interest to me, and I have a shitload of stuff from years past.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Opiate said:
Consistently down, but it's a cyclical process like any other medium. It's certainly not going away, but the argument here is that studios at the moment tend to take on "safe" projects, i.e. romantic comedies that feature lolicon type characters because they still do sell.

When you analyze if from that perspective, it's not really much different than American films and/or major television. It's really not a surprise that darker projects tend to be relegated to cult status. I'd also suggest the possibility that people aren't aware of how much "crap" was coming out in the Golden Era, because we didn't have access to broadband sharing of every single piece of random crap. I mean, at this point, ANY show an english speaker wants to see you, you usually can within a week or so.

faridmon said:
you know screw it, 90% of people in this thread don't even know what Anime is and like to complain about it.
1246354275852.png

jmdajr

SonicMegaDrive said:
Love it.

But my only (minor) gripe? No Streamline dub.

Yeah, everybody complains about that. But it was my first exposure to the film, dammit!

Yeah, at least I still have the streamline vhs tape! It also comes with that awesome "state of the art japanese animation" trailer.

FLEABttn said:
I know certain people say "You just gotta look to find the good stuff" but I don't really want to wade through piles to shit to find it.

Agreed. Who can you trust for honest, decent opinions? Anime media outlets? No. The fans? They're the last people you ask. It's really hard to dig through shovel-fulls of vomit to get to the little sparkly anime at the bottom of the barrel.

Honestly, GAF seems to have mostly decent taste. Probably the best I've seen anywhere on the internet, besides the guys over at the-nextlevel.com's forums.

It probably has to do with the fact that we're mostly older guys who grew up with games.

faridmon

The Frankman said:
there was some exaggeration involved but nevertheless, many people who always complain about the Anime don't watch it that often.

Tamanon said:
The only anime I even buy now are the Code Geass episodes when they come out and I'll start buying Bleach boxsets again once they're past the Bount arc on DVD. Besides that, there's been almost nothing of interest to me, and I have a shitload of stuff from years past.

and pople complain about the current state of animes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Himuro said:
The thing about anime is that you HAVE to get opinions from people you trust. We're talking about fans who put Cowboy Bebop on the same wavelength as Super Princess Peach Girl Kawaii Bon Bon (yes I made it up).
Booooooooo

bathala

Banned
I only watch One Piece and FMA (season 2) now.
checking out the upcoming anime by Baccano studio

I used to watch alot of anime, but yeah this growing thread is turning me off

faridmon said:
there was some exaggeration involved but nevertheless, many people who always complain about the Anime don't watch it that often.
I really don't feel we're back in the pre-2000 days here. Too many anime/anime-styled shows. I'll play Devil's Advocate and say there are MANY MANY more people trying to push X anime show on a person who is new to the genre and does it incorrectly. How many times do I see that discussed on anime boards? All de time. ALL. DE. TIME.
bathala said:
I used to watch alot of anime, but yeah this growing thread is turning me off
Don't do that, I mean I imagine there is stuff out there. I have tons of stuff I need to watch, like Trinity Blood (only bought half the series), Claymore, etc. I just have to find some deals for DVDs and make sure anime >>> manga in those cases.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Frankman said:
I really don't feel we're back in the pre-2000 days here. Too many anime/anime-styled shows. I'll play Devil's Advocate and say there are MANY MANY more people trying to push X anime show on a person who is new to the genre and does it incorrectly. How many times do I see that discussed on anime boards? All de time. ALL. DE. TIME.
OMG, You should watch Gurren Lagann. It's like Manly awesomeness and all Garrrrrrr all over the place. You would have to be a fool not to like it! It's like giant ass robot and giant ass robot fighting each other.

Or Azumanga Daioh is sooo fucking funny. It's about these 6 high school girls who do all these funny things!

Gagaman

Mainly just stick to the movies they put out now, as many of those are still of an excellent standard (Ghibli, Mind Game etc), it's the TV anime that has hit rock bottom for me because when I look at the anime season line up thread all I see is programs pandering to otaku fetishes. Some of them may only be like that on the surface and turn out to actually be a satire or have a deeper meaning to them (like I've been told by fans of Lucky Star and Haurai), but when you don't want to even be seen dead watching something that will make people think you're some kind of pedophile why would you?

Mind you I guess you could say that on the surface Azumanga Daioh looks that way too but I managed to get into that and enjoy it, but then that series had a light hearted charm to it. Compare it's theme tune to the Lucky Star one and you'll see what I mean (the soundtrack was one of my favorite things about Azumanga).

I think the last anime seres I watched was Kemomozume and I did start watching Kaiba but haven't got around to finishing it yet. Maasaki Yuasa is awesome.

shintoki said:
OMG, You should watch Gurren Lagann. It's like Manly awesomeness and all Garrrrrrr all over the place. You would have to be a fool not to like it! It's like giant ass robot and giant ass robot fighting each other.
watched a few eps. on SyFy. Not a fan of the animation style.
Or Azumanga Daioh is sooo fucking funny. It's about these 6 high school girls who do all these funny things!
I know about it, reading Yotsuba. Eh may see one day.

faridmon

Himuro said:
I used to watch it more often. But now I don't because of the very complaints I have in this thread. I'll still watch for the good shows like Eden of the East, Baccano, Kemenozume, Allison and Lillia, One Outs, Cross Game and stuff like that, though. Honestly, I thought summer 2008 was season for anime in years.
i can understand the frustration and my comment wasn't really generated towards the people like you who watch it but grew tired of this stupid trend.

but there are people that just can't accept that there isn't a whole lot of good Anime thesse days, for me I still think the best year for Anime is 1999 where we had Infinite Ryvius, Great Teacher Onizukia, Black Heaven, Big O, Betterman, Excel Saga, Now and Then, Here and There, Pet Shop of Horrors, Etc... but there is also great anime (sometimes better than teh ones i mentioned) released after that.

and the poeple who say 80s anime were the best are definitely the worst, all we had was some mediocre Tatsunoku crap and Captain Tsubasa.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
faridmon said:
its really sad and funny at the same when people complain about thsi and completely miss the awsome ones that have been released those past 4 years. Kaiji, One Outs, Kaiba, Baccano, Spice and Wolf, Darker than Black, Chi's sweet Home, Ghost Hound, Alison and Lililian, Oune Outs, Cross game, One Outs, Ookikke Furakabutte, Library Warrs, Gurran Lagann and much more awsome animes.

This, Spice and Wolf is a freaking amazing series. It is like getting a an economics degree without going to school. It is the first anime I actually learned stuff from and still thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, Code Geass (Season 1) was really good. Just pretend the second season doesn't exist and everything is fine.

faridmon

The Frankman said:

Don't do that, I mean I imagine there is stuff out there. I have tons of stuff I need to watch, like Trinity Blood (only bought half the series), Claymore, etc. I just have to find some deals for DVDs and make sure anime >>> manga in those cases.
another problems is many DVDs are never licensed here in Europe, Funimation stuff (except for Claymore and DtB) don't get released here. :(

faridmon

The Frankman said:

is it any good? never liked Azumanga Dioh (or whatever it is) and i really want some manga that aren't Seinen stuff (currently got Pluto and 20th century boys, Urasawaa rocks)

faridmon said:
and the poeple who say 80s anime were the best are definitely the worst, all we had was some mediocre Tatsunoku crap and Captain Tsubasa.

All who had?

There were lots of great anime in the 1980's. And not just because of the experimental, high budget OAV and films we were getting at the time, either.

faridmon

Himuro said:
But I'm one of those 80's anime guys.

I'm a big 80's/90's anime guy.
oh man, don't tell me you like Mezenger, Bubblegum Crisis, Voltron, Golgo 13 (is it 80 Anime), Princess Millinia and those lot? :(

a liked Captain Tsubasa, Renma and Slayers though

jmdajr

SonicMegaDrive said:
All who had?

There were lots of great anime in the 1980's. And not just because of the experimental, high budget OAV and films we were getting at the time, either.

I wish Robot Carnival would be out in Blu ray

FLEABttn

Banned
Himuro said:
The thing about anime is that you HAVE to get opinions from people you trust.

And even this is harder to do. Of the handful of people I personally knew who used to watch it on a regular basis, only one watches any sort of modern releases, maybe 1-2 series a year. And his tastes are eclectic enough where there is a good chance I won't like it.

I've stopped listening to internet recommendations in general, so I've stopped watching literally anything/everything.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Frankman said:

I was just being sarcastic on that. :lol

I think the notion that many fans don't realize is allot of the series can't really be pushed to people who aren't already showing interest. It's not that the series is bad or anything. But you can't take food normally straight from the freeze and fry it. You have to warm it up first. Allot of anime fans seem to lack this connection. Instead solely base it on their own discretion to the series and not the person they are trying to get interested in.

And the connection grows weaker when the fan feels insult that somehow another person can have a different opinion then them and not be interested in the series due to the style.

Which would also explain why we have come across such a divide in anime with the current fad being so extremely off putting to viewers including myself.

qcf x2

The Frankman said:

I think you should give GL another shot. That plus a few unexpected series (Ga-Rei Zero, Kurozuka) are why I only gave up 99% of hope instead of 100%.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
In Japan, a poll conducted by the otaku matchmaking service Otakuma reveals that four out of five of the top shows watched by female anime fans are about giant robots, while four out of five of the top shows watched by male anime fans are about little girls.

WHAT THE FUCK JAPANESE MEN

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

tokkun

Hcoregamer00 said:
This, Spice and Wolf is a freaking amazing series. It is like getting a an economics degree without going to school. It is the first anime I actually learned stuff from and still thoroughly enjoyed.

And yet it is still a show about an adult man romancing someone in the body of a 15-year-old girl / animal...

faridmon

FLEABttn said:
And even this is harder to do. Of the handful of people I personally knew who used to watch it on a regular basis, only one watches any sort of modern releases, maybe 1-2 series a year. And his tastes are eclectic enough where there is a good chance I won't like it.

I've stopped listening to internet recommendations in general, so I've stopped watching literally anything.
:lol yeah that is one way to get around the trouble

I still refuse to watch K-On and melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

FLEABttn

Banned
faridmon said:
:lol yeah that is one way to get around the trouble

Oh, I know if I don't try anything, I won't watch anything, but after bad recommendation after bad recommendation, the internet can go sit in the corner and think about what it's done.

faridmon said:
oh man, don't tell me you like Mezenger, Bubblegum Crisis, Voltron, Golgo 13 (is it 80 Anime), Princess Millinia and those lot? :(

a liked Captain Tsubasa, Renma and Slayers though

Well, Mazinger Z was a giant robot show from the early 70's.

Golgo 13 was a film. Actually, there two two of them, one produced in the 90's.

I think the 80's were defined by a couple things.

The biggest one for me was the influence of Star Wars. Starting with Gundam in the late 70's, just about every sci-fi anime seemed to ooze with Star Wars influences.

The other thing for me is the rise of the shounen action show. Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and the like seem to have paved the way towards today's popular shows like Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto.

Also, perhaps more regrettably, the 80's are perhaps most influential for really catapulting perverted anime and sexual themes into mainstream fandom, due to the home video market.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
tokkun said:
And yet it is still a show about an adult man romancing someone in the body of a 15-year-old girl / animal...

Well, I am willing to make an exception because it is such an intelligent anime that focuses more on subtlety and a great script rather than a reliance of fanservice/moeblob.

tokkun

zoukka said:
Why do Japanese men like little girls?

I read an article once that said that the trend started with the Japanese economic boom of the 1980's. Prior to that, the 'college-age' girl was seen as the sexual ideal, but during the boom it shifted to high school age.

And apparently it just kept sliding.

By the way, I want to mention that despite my hate for the lolicon movement, it did bring us Battle Programmer Shirase.

Geneijin

FLEABttn said:
Oh, I know if I don't try anything, I won't watch anything, but after bad recommendation after bad recommendation, the internet can go sit in the corner and think about what it's done.

And what were these bad recommendations out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom