• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile gaming: Virtual Pad, are you comfort with it?

Well, it's been almost a year since I got my iPhone 4, I've been playing a bunch of games that use a virtual controller pad and I end up yelling at the iPhone touch-screen because how badly it works, I won't be getting anymore iOS titles that use this control scheme, and yes I know, then I will be missing most of console ports or emus, but believe me when I say I've tried hard but I can't get with it. Maybe it's just me for having big hands and no tiny fingers but sometimes when I think I'm tapping Up it is like if I'm tapping Right, or when I think I'm tapping Button 1 it works as I tapped Button 2, I get fed up of this pretty easily and it's annoying.

In my opinion mobile games shouldn't be developed with this virtal pad thing, developers should focus in using other way or just stop releasing games that only work with it.

What do you think guys?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hate virtual pads, they simply don't work well. That fact really limits the number of games I think are fit for the iOS. Really wish Stylus pens came with the iOS devices.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What's worse is when you have a game that's dual stick but you don't have a multitouch phone. I tried to play Pew Pew 2 with dual virtual thumbsticks and the game freaks out.

The dual touchpads on the Xperia Play work a little better since you at least get a better feel for where your thumbs are. But nothing is a replacement for an analog stick or even a circle pad that features actual resistance.

Thoraxes

I personally don't like them at all, and think they're terrible.
When Cliffy B was talking about how they decided on the controls for Infinity Blade, I thought that was a much better way to do it; to play to the strong suits of the system and not have it try to be something it isn't.

Also I do not like it when my thumbs cover the screen. It's unnecessary, and when you force the screen to be locked in on only one orientation, and that orientation makes your hands cover the speaker, that's just a bad design choice by the developers in my opinion.

I first got my iphone and I was like "Whoa! Ghosts n' Goblins! Mega Man! Street Fighter!"

Then I played them... or tried to.

I can't decide what bothers me more, the unresponsive excuses for buttons or the fact that I need thumbs that I can see through.

mutsu

No, that's why I will never ever play any games with virtual pad on my iPhone anymore, and that's why my iPhone has now been relegated to just my phone + internet device now.

Gaming on my PSP/3DS/DSi all the way.

Ozzykamikaze said:
I first got my iphone and I was like "Whoa! Ghosts n' Goblins! Mega Man! Street Fighter!"

Then I played them... or tried to.

I can't decide what bothers me more, the unresponsive excuses for buttons or the fact that I need thumbs that I can see through.

This.

Testicle

Banned
I'm usually reasonably accurate with them after spending an hour or two with the game. I prefer physical buttons but I don't really find touch controls as terrible as other people make them out to be.

Fusebox

Banned
I like it when done it's well. Both sticks need to be invisible and not fixed. Minigore is one of the best examples.

FGMPR

Banned
yeah they suck, but some work to within respectable parameters.

Secret of Mana's is completely horrible, for example, whilst I didn't mind Zenonia's...

Morokh

FGMPR said:
yeah they suck, but some work to within respectable parameters.

Secret of Mana's is completely horrible, for example, whilst I didn't mind Zenonia's...

The virtual pad on Zenonia was exactly why I did not purchase it and any other games using it.

SmokyDave

Doesn't bother me in the least and now this topic makes me feel special.

I prefer games that are built with the platform in mind but using a v-pad doesn't phase me. They can be done really well too, NBA Jam proves that.

FGMPR

Banned
Morokh said:
The virtual pad on Zenonia was exactly why I did not purchase it and any other games using it.

Yeah I hear that a lot. I just find the virtual d-pad feels a lot better than the virtual analogue sticks. Probably to do with not needing to slide my thumb across the screen until it no longer registers. With the Zenonia setup, my thumb more or less stays put.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
You should try the Fling joystick for iPhone or iPad. It looks ridiculous, but it controls surprisingly well. Don't knock it till you try it. I messed around with it at E3 and was impressed. I have to pick one up and see if Geometry Wars or Ghosts N Goblins play well with it.

http://www.tenonedesign.com/fling.php

FGMPR

Banned
Eggo said:
You should try the Fling joystick for iPhone or iPad. It looks ridiculous, but it controls surprisingly well. Don't knock it till you try it. I messed around with it at E3 and was impressed. I have to pick one up and see if Geometry Wars or Ghosts N Goblins play well with it.

http://www.tenonedesign.com/fling.php

Those things look great for an iPad. They seem pretty big to stick on an ipod though.

MightyKAC

Virtual pads are the #1 reason why Smart-devices will never replace handheld gaming consoles for mobile gaming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MightyKAC said:
Virtual pads are the #1 reason why Smart-devices will never replace handheld gaming consoles for mobile gaming.

Xperia Play has been mentioned twice in this thread.

SmokyDave

MightyKAC said:
In what terms? Marketshare (though god knows how you'd measure that), software sales or hardcore gamers affections?

I think smartphones will easily overtake dedicated handhelds in the next 5 years in the first two categories. The last category is utterly irrelevant to the mass market.

BitchTits

They don't work.

Mobile gaming is at it's best when it's taking advantage of the medium and not aping other forms of gaming.

MightyKAC said:
Not really. Just the types of games will change.

Words With Friends doesn't need a d-pad.

Jackson

butter_stick said:

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

If every handheld game is like Words With Friends shoot me now.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's way inferior to button / stick gaming, but in Super Mario 64 DS it was at least bearable, as it wasn't the same screen as the one that displayed the action and the stick moved with your finger.

Jackson said:
not_sure_if_serious.jpg

If every handheld game is like Words With Friends shoot me now.
For mobile phones, I'd much rather they be turn based things like that then console port downs. There's a difference between mobile phone gaming and handheld gaming.

MightyKAC

ZealousD said:
Xperia Play has been mentioned twice in this thread.

I'll grant you that the Xperia play is an exception however I wouldn't call it the future of smart phones until I see real actual gamepads on smartphone as a trend rather than an anomaly.

SmokyDave said:
In what terms? Marketshare (though god knows how you'd measure that), software sales or hardcore gamers affections?

I think smartphones will easily overtake dedicated handhelds in the next 5 years in the first two categories. The last category is utterly irrelevant to the mass market.

Then why is the Vita not only being made but hotly anticipated if not for the hardcore gaming dollar?

butter_stick said:

The need for a dedicated digital or analog control scheme in some video games and video game genres will never change.

SmokyDave

MightyKAC said:
Then why is the Vita not only being made but hotly anticipated if not for the hardcore gaming dollar?
Same reason the Xperia play exists, because we're in a transitional period, we haven't gone through it yet. I think the Vita will be moderately successful too, it seems to tick all the right boxes for some people. I know I'll be grabbing one the second it hits the shelf. I won't be taking it out of the house though, I have a smart-phone for gaming on the go now.

Overall though, I feel the tides are turning and the hardcore dollar won't be enough to stop it. We'll have to discuss this again in 2016.

MightyKAC

butter_stick said:
For mobile phones, I'd much rather they be turn based things like that then console port downs. There's a difference between mobile phone gaming and handheld gaming.

This is what I honestly believe to be the case. I think that neither device will overtake the other and down the line games will cater to the 2 different types of crowds (smart phone gamers and handheld gamers) with some overlap in the middle.

The idea that there will be some uber mobile device to rule them all seems about as likely to me as a one console future.

Aaron

All my portable gaming is on the ipad and I hate virtual d-pads. There's much better ways to control things with a touch screen.

ShinNL

Aaron said:
All my portable gaming is on the ipad and I hate virtual d-pads. There's much better ways to control things with a touch screen.
I don't know anything about iOS games because I don't have an iTouch device, but can you give me some names so I can YouTube some of these touch control games (aside from that Real Racing one and Angry Birds)? Sounds interesting if it can satisfy your portable gaming needs.

I can't stand virtual D-Pads, it just doesn't feel precise enough. They should be making games that take advantage of the control interface on smart phones, not trying to port games to try and make them fit in with the interface on touch screens.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MightyKAC said:

They have replaced it for me. Hardly any space shooters this gen so I ended up playing those types of games on my iphone/ipad and had no issues with it.

Xperia play looks awful imo, if i ever had to have a sliding mechanism on my phone it will be a keyboard rather than a gamepad, then again I hate those sliding keyboards.

I look at console/portable gaming as the same as mobile gaming, they are all games some good some bad.

MightyKAC

neojubei said:
They have replaced it for me. Hardly any space shooters this gen so I ended up playing those types of games on my iphone/ipad and had no issues with it.

Xperia play looks awful imo, if i ever had to have a sliding mechanism on my phone it will be a keyboard rather than a gamepad, then again I hate those sliding keyboards.

I look at console/portable gaming as the same as mobile gaming, they are all games some good some bad.

Space shooters you say......?

tba-super-stardust-delta-20110531003807771_640w.jpg

SmokyDave

Y2Kev said:
I used the virtual pad (sucks) in Sonic 4 ios (sucks).

Never again!
There isn't a d-pad in existence that could've fixed that steaming pile of shite.

MightyKAC said:

One space shooter.[/QUOTE]
Cave iOS library (3 shooters, 1 coming) > Cave PSP, 3DS & DS library (Ketsui).

That blows my mind. Deathsmiles is just around the corner, woo-hoo!

blueICE

Banned
seriously. how hard could it be for Apple to release an official bluetooth joystick/joypad controller ? Developers can then offer both virtual and bluetooth control schemes.

MightyKAC

SmokyDave said:
Cave iOS library > Cave PSP, 3DS & DS library.

That blows my mind. Deathsmiles is just around the corner, woo-hoo!

And that's the sad sad truth.........for now.

I'm hoping for a future where I won't have to compromise between playing the games I love and controlling them with a flat surface :p

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MightyKAC said:

tba-super-stardust-delta-20110531003807771_640w.jpg

I meant games like Galaxy on Fire 2, Star Battalion or in other words, colony wars and star fox (the first one). There haven't been games like this lately. The one level in Halo Reach had a cool space battle but I am not playing HALO just for that one level.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
blueICE said:
seriously. how hard could it be for Apple to release an official bluetooth joystick/joypad controller ? Developers can then offer both virtual and bluetooth control schemes.

Not that hard. I have to say that I think it's unlikely, it just doesn't seem like something Apple would bother with.

Like basically everyone else here, I can't stand virtual pads, they simply do not work. I still game on my iPhone, I just stick to games that are designed for touch screens.

Londa

Banned
Virtual pads are terrible when you have been exposed to any nintendo/sony handheld. I find myself just downloading games and having them sit there on my phone.

Top Bottom