• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern games - cutscenes, scripted events and menus. Where's the gameplay?

Kinyou

There's still gameplay, OP. But to find it, you must journey to the land of ancient lords.

20120918035710!Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
While the game offers pure gameplay, it's probably also something you want to avoid when you have little time to play

rtcn63

You can skip the cutscenes. Tomb Raider is actually pretty fun gameplay-wise, at least if you're familiar with Uncharted-style shooters.

Sorry if this has been said 100 times before but this has really taken me by surprise. As I said, I don't game much anymore and was really looking forward to this. Now it just seems like I've wasted two hours of my life and my money. Does it get better later on? Have I juat picked the wrong game or is modern gaming simply not for me?

Modern gaming is huge, so there will be plenty of games for you, but also because it is huge you will have to accept that some multi-million budget AAA games will be in a style you do not enjoy.

Alx

Tomb Raider is an Uncharted-type game, you kinda should have known what you were getting yourself into.

Except the Tomb Raider serie existed long before Uncharted and used to drop the player right into gameplay, with barely any exposition. I can understand people being surprised especially if they were expecting a "traditional" Tomb Raider.

Not being funny but isn't street fighter "input button combination for awesome"
And your not exactly performing a kick for each kick that lands with a hurricane kick
Street Fighter is very scripted, although the gameplay is there, but it's how done thats the difference, this actually applies to all games.
Just wanted to point that out.

It's posts like these that convince me that most of GAF does not actually play video games.

PnCIa

You're taking one, O N E bad, formulaic checklist-to-success game as an example, and using it to drab about the entire industry. Congratulations! I hope you realize how ridiculous your rant is in this context.
The OP is spot on about western "AAA games". The money unfortunately goes towards so called cinematic singleplayer campaigns that value scripted corridors over actual gameplay value.

To echo what others have said - Nintendo and stuff like Dark Souls and Metal Gear Rising :) I feel the same way and those games keep my passion burning. X-Com Enemy Unknown is also really good if you want something less actioney - amazing game but keeps the fluff to a minimum.

Stranya

OP: The Tomb Raider reboot is very much a cinematic-style game, trying to appeal to everyone (yet clearly not succeeding). As others have said, something like Dark Souls, or many Nintendo games, are good examples of very gamey-games (if you get me).

IMO Dishonored is a great AAA gamey-game that focuses on player agency and not cinematics; try it if you have the time.

This is the exact same problem I'm having.

Bought Banner Saga - Love the gameplay, but there is soo many "choices" and non-gameplay events that makes it so annoying that I can't just play the game, instead I have to do tedious management and dialogue selection.

Bought Divinity: OS - My bad for not doing my research, but people on GAF said the game was great so I figured I'd give it a go. Not only do you have to manage quest lines and dialogue, you also have to manage your character's personalities by having them talk to each other and argue over shit.

Many games have an easy mode to make the game easier for those who just want to go through the story. Can we get an easy mode for those who just want to go through the gameplay? I'm tired of having to blindly consider route choices and dialogue options. What about a mode where, it automatically tells me which option will allow me to do the most fights, keep the majority of my party alive, and give me the most gameplay options? I don't care about having options, being good and bad and morally grey. Just tell me which is the right choice (don't tell me there is no right choice - picking up some people in Banner Saga is guaranteed to screw you over).

jimboton

While the game offers pure gameplay, it's probably also something you want to avoid when you have little time to play
why? More time or less time, I'd rather spend it doing something fun and fulfilling than not. It'll just feel that much more epic when he finally finishes it ;)

Sectus

It's unfortunately common for big budget games to have slow scripted starts. I personally stopped Tomb Raider after one hour, and from what I've heard (with it being similar to Uncharted, and I don't like Uncharted) the game isn't for me anyway.

I think there are plenty of games out there which has a pretty heavy focus on gameplay, but you'll have to do some research, as there's also plenty of games which aim for a more "cinematic experience" and then ends up having light gameplay.

why? More time or less time, I'd rather spend it doing something fun and fulfilling than not. It'll just feel that much more epic when he finally finishes it ;)

Because if you only have an hour here and there to play it you won't feel like you're getting anywhere in Dark Souls. It takes a lot of time and patience to work your way through that game, especially if you're not used to the difficulty.

brett2

While I haven't played the new Tomb Raider, It's gotta be disappointing to anyone who remembers the old Tomb Raider games (like I do) where the story barely mattered and it was all about exploration and puzzle solving. Tombs + Raiding = Tomb Raider.

RPGs were basically always like this, though because of technical constraints it was rare to have a story sequence go on for more than 5 minutes at a time. Final Fantasy 7 seemed to be the beginning of the change there. I think it was good before that time in a lot of ways since the core game design had to be superior because 95% of the game was playing with only 5% for the story.

I can appreciate a game that is slower paced and tries to tell a more in depth story but I don't understand the need for every game to be "cinematic". Gaming should strive to create its own structures and techniques for telling a story instead of recycling hollywood techniques and doing a bad job of it at that.

Bought Divinity: OS - My bad for not doing my research, but people on GAF said the game was great so I figured I'd give it a go. Not only do you have to manage quest lines and dialogue, you also have to manage your character's personalities by having them talk to each other and argue over shit.

Many games have an easy mode to make the game easier for those who just want to go through the story. Can we get an easy mode for those who just want to go through the gameplay? I'm tired of having to blindly consider route choices and dialogue options. What about a mode where, it automatically tells me which option will allow me to do the most fights, keep the majority of my party alive, and give me the most gameplay options? I don't care about having options, being good and bad and morally grey. Just tell me which is the right choice (don't tell me there is no right choice - picking up some people in Banner Saga is guaranteed to screw you over).

Well, just as OP shouldn't have bought Tomb Raider, you shouldn't have bought Divinity. All games shouldn't be made for everybody. What you're requesting here would probably have put way to much burden on Larian while developing the game.

Except the Tomb Raider serie existed long before Uncharted and used to drop the player right into gameplay, with barely any exposition. I can understand people being surprised especially if they were expecting a "traditional" Tomb Raider.

Ok, hows about: THIS Tomb Raider is an Uncharted-type game.

The OP is spot on about western "AAA games". The money unfortunately goes towards so called cinematic singleplayer campaigns that value scripted corridors over actual gameplay value.

I read what OP wrote. It's a tired bullshit sweeping statement that also happens to put good plot-focused linear games in a bad light. He should have bought a different game.

Zoc

I think of Assassin's Creed as the epitome of hand-holdy, watered-down gameplay, and yet when I picked up the standalone version of AC4 Freedom Cry (my first AC since AC1), I found myself dumped straight into a sea battle, had no idea what I was doing, and died several times before I figured it out. It was great. The whole game was great, no tutorial, not much story, just running, killing, and blowing up ships. It had a real challenge and real technique, was great.

Blinck

While Dark Souls is great for 'just start gaming' - it isn't ideal for someone that can manage an hour once every few days. I'd lose track of where I was.

It isn't as bad as a story heavy RPG, where my lack of gaming time means playing something like P4G is like reading the same paragraph in a book over and over again because I'm distracted.

This is a good point indeed! Dark Souls is not a good game if you don't have quite a bit of time available to invest in it each time you play!

JimiNutz

Banned
Reading the responses here it's looking like I just made a poor choice in Tomb Raider and there are actually a lot of good games still out there.

I think what took me by surprise is that this game was received really well and I was certain that I saw lots of Gaffers giving it a lot of praise. I just guess it wasnt for me.

Glad not all modern AAA games are like this... Guess I'll just wait for GTA V or something.

JimiNutz

Banned
I read what OP wrote. It's a tired bullshit sweeping statement that also happens to put good plot-focused linear games in a bad light. He should have bought a different game.

Wow. Talk about getting all aggressive and angry for no reason...

Ok I guess I made a poor choice and the game wasnt for me. No need to be a dick about it.

I'm still surprised just how scripted this game is.

Is is really even a game at this point and not just a scripted interactive movie? Maybe that should be a genre in itself because I thought Tomb Raider was going to be a game involving exploration, platforming, puzzle solving and intense action. Not cutscene, scripted event, QTE, shoot something, cutscene etc.

Ooccoo

It's all about indie now. I seriously have more fun with independant studios than AAA game companies like Ubisoft. Development costs are ridiculous now just to feature realism. In the end though gameplay will always be king.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Reading the responses here it's looking like I just made a poor choice in Tomb Raider and there are actually a lot of good games still out there.

I think what took me by surprise is that this game was received really well and I was certain that I saw lots of Gaffers giving it a lot of praise. I just guess it wasnt for me.

Glad not all modern AAA games are like this... Guess I'll just wait for GTA V or something.
This is the key. Not all games are for you. Just like not all games are for me.

I really liked TR 2013. I couldn't stand Dark Souls. Everyone has different tastes, and that's good. There's a lot of variety in games, so it's a matter of doing some research to find the ones that may interest you.

Are you? GTA V is actually a good game. Unlike TR.
[citation needed]

JimiNutz

Banned
Joke post? You're kidding, right?

No...
I'm guessing that GTA V is a lot more open and not as scripted?
Thats my problem with Tomb Raider, just how scripted, linear and filled with cutscenes it was.

Don't get me wrong, it's single player 'cinematic' game so I obviously expected some cutscenes and scripted events... I just didn't expect the first two hours to have next to no real gameplay at all.

Is GTA V like that? I thought it was an open world sandbox?

Are you? GTA V is actually a good game. Unlike TR.

Dude isn't happy with two hours of cut scenes and scripted events to start TR game and then mentions GTAV? That game is even worse with the starting cut scenes, loading times and scripted events. Very reason I only got a few hours in because it was boring as hell.

if that's what you think will be better... Sorry OP you're set for disappointment.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Tomb Raider 2013 is pretty much garbage if you value gameplay.

The sad thing is, I actually enjoyed what little exploration and puzzle solving it lets you do, but the game is more interested in pushing you into the next heavily scripted action sequence where you have little to no control. To me, that's even worse than if it had horrible gameplay.

JimiNutz

Banned
Dude isn't happy with two hours of cut scenes and scripted events to start TR game and then mentions GTAV? That game is even worse with the starting cut scenes, loading times and scripted events. Very reason I only got a few hours in because it was boring as hell.

if that's what you think will be better... Sorry OP you're set for disappointment.

Damn. Really?
I thought GTA wouldn't really be scripted at all. Isn't it an open world sandbox game where you just do whatever you want and have loads of freedom? I thought it'd be the complete opposite of Tomb Raider?

Damn. Really?
I thought GTA wouldn't really be scripted at all. Isn't it an open world sandbox game where you just do whatever you want and have loads of freedom? I thought it'd be the complete opposite of Tomb Raider?

the first couple hours are rough... Maybe it opens up after that but I got through the opening bits of TR and couldn't get through GTA. Maybe you'll enjoy it differently.

gotta concur on Wii U reco. The new Nintendo games are all game play, and stuff like 3d land is some of their best work.

you ever try DOTA?

the first couple hours are rough... Maybe it opens up after that but I got through the opening bits of TR and couldn't get through GTA. Maybe you'll enjoy it differently.

gotta concur on Wii U reco. The new Nintendo games are all game play, and stuff like 3d land is some of their best work.

you ever try DOTA?

OP has no time. Dota is the best and worst advice I can imagine.

Because if you only have an hour here and there to play it you won't feel like you're getting anywhere in Dark Souls. It takes a lot of time and patience to work your way through that game, especially if you're not used to the difficulty.

Is that what 'gaming' been reduced to? Completion? I don't know about you but finishing a game should be a reward not a fucking obligation. If you needed to artificially speed up the process of the game because you want to:

A) Get through the story
B) Not interested in the gameplay

Then it's quite obvious the game has failed you. Go watch Let's Play videos if the need for the game needs to be skimped. Having an autonomous no-pressure based approach is the antithesis of game design in general. I myself have very limited time for games but I'd rather put 50+ hours on a complex game that challenges me than 20+ games that can be finished with the basic skill of holding a controller. I pay for a game experience not observing a museum of stage props.

I'm sooooo tempted.
The thing is my girlfriend bought me this Xbox One for my Birthday and I dunno if I can justify going out and buying a new console and a bunch of games at the moment.

oh... Can I recommend dead rising 3 if you're on the x one. Was a blast.

QaaQer

Gameplay is hard, cutscenes are fairly easy and you'll win as long as you don't have a powerout or pull on the power cable. When game reviewers who are extremely important busy people who don't have time to learn button inputs watch the amazing prerenders and in engine scripted events of GOTY heavy hitters like Bioshock Infinite, The Last Of Us and GTAV they can't help but be blown away that they unlocked that cutscene. To seal the deal achievements are often unlocked shortly after the scene plays out just in case you have the subtle feeling of not getting anywhere.

Can't argue with that.

Games that aren't designed for reviewers are the only games that can go for innovative or deep mechanics. But review scores are vital for sales, so vital game companies hire reviewers while developing games to make sure they will get good scores.

Although, there are exceptions like f2p mobas. Maybe thats why LoL and Dota2 have blossomed into such huge things as they are free from having to tailor their experiences to the tastes of pro critics.

IMO Dishonored is a great AAA gamey-game that focuses on player agency and not cinematics; try it if you have the time.

I want to agree, vehemently. It keeps the first-person perspective at all times, not taking you out of character, lets you explore, even on your downtime, and most importantly; simply gives you a task and says "get to it, I don't care how."

Wish more games did that.

Wow. Talk about getting all aggressive and angry for no reason...

I'm sorry, I was a jerk. It's just that, since you've stated you're not active often anymore, you probably don't realize how the popularity of linear action games with setpieces and the amount of duds produced in the process - which became a scapegoat for the bitchy part of GAF to run their mouths around with their "lol no gaemplay" "industry is doomed" schtik. It's really, really annoying.

Just know the following: I read what you said about your expectations of TR. One thing the doomsayers are right about is that there's no sacred cow IP, so I'd recommend you to do some extra research when the game you're eyeing is held as such. Hint: Don't buy the new Thief.

Also,

This is completely false. The game barely takes any more time setting itself up than San Andreas. Right after finishing the intro/tutorial and stealing your first car with Franklin you arrive in a safehouse and can already fuck around in the city to your heart's desire. The simple fact that the progression in GTA V is highly compartmentalized in missions means it's far more ideal for your odd 2-hour game break than TR. This poster has no idea what he's talking about.

You can also strike out loading time from that list if you have a current-gen console or an okay PC and wait for the game's release on those platforms.

OP should play Nintendo games, Monster Hunter, Dark souls and indies platformers.

Gameplay is hard, cutscenes are fairly easy and you'll win as long as you don't have a powerout or pull on the power cable. When game reviewers who are extremely important busy people who don't have time to learn button inputs watch the amazing prerenders and in engine scripted events of GOTY heavy hitters like Bioshock Infinite, The Last Of Us and GTAV they can't help but be blown away that they unlocked that cutscene. To seal the deal achievements are often unlocked shortly after the scene plays out just in case you have the subtle feeling of not getting anywhere.

There is also a social component to the problem : cinema is a recognized, noble art-form. For (some) game developpers and journalists, 'cinematic' videogames is something more desirable as its corollary is a social status boost for people gravitating around this industry.

+ cinema comes with an established grammar about 'cinematic' codes, whereas you don't have any real similar equivalent for gameplay yet (or not as developped). Makes it harder to talk/criticize/analyze/etc about it.

When game reviewers who are extremely important busy people who don't have time to learn button inputs watch the amazing prerenders and in engine scripted events of GOTY heavy hitters like Bioshock Infinite, The Last Of Us and GTAV.

See OP, this is what I was talking about. To suggest that GTA V and TLoU aren't praised for their gameplay, that Infinite has a lot of scripted events... this is ludicrous. And GTA V isn't even a linear game!

Not being funny but isn't street fighter "input button combination for awesome"
And your not exactly performing a kick for each kick that lands with a hurricane kick
Street Fighter is very scripted, although the gameplay is there, but it's how done thats the difference, this actually applies to all games.
Just wanted to point that out.

err... what?
73279-goat-turns-head-slowly-gif-Img-QXTg.gif

Some Nobody

This is the exact same problem I'm having.

Bought Banner Saga - Love the gameplay, but there is soo many "choices" and non-gameplay events that makes it so annoying that I can't just play the game, instead I have to do tedious management and dialogue selection.

Why is this post, which is comedy gold, not getting more attention?

.....Wait. You were joking, right?

Top Bottom