• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern games - cutscenes, scripted events and menus. Where's the gameplay?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm sorry, I was a jerk. It's just that, since you've stated you're not active often anymore, you probably don't realize how the popularity of linear action games with setpieces and the amount of duds produced in the process - which became a scapegoat for the bitchy part of GAF to run their mouths around with their "lol no gaemplay" "industry is doomed" schtik. It's really, really annoying.

Just know the following: I read what you said about your expectations of TR. One thing the doomsayers are right about is that there's no sacred cow IP, so I'd recommend you to do some extra research when the game you're eyeing is held as such. Hint: Don't buy the new Thieffective

It's ok.
Yeah I'll hold me hands up and admit thaf I didn't research for a long time before buying Tomb Raider. I watched a few clips online (mostly of Lara killing a bunch of dudes) and read a few reviews before buying.

Lesson learned.

SigSig

Bought Banner Saga - Love the gameplay, but there is soo many "choices" and non-gameplay events that makes it so annoying that I can't just play the game, instead I have to do tedious management and dialogue selection.

If you just want the Banner Saga fighting gameplay, check out Factions.
All the choices and "non-gameplay" events are really important to the "Saga" part of the game and without them it would lose a lot of it's appeal.

I don't have a problem with cut-scenes being used to advance the story in games. There are still plenty of games that don't rely on them, if you really don't like them.

I do get fed up when they are overused though, and I appreciate that it can be really frustrating sometimes when I have limited time to play, and a long un-skipable cut-scene eats into my gaming time.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
as the core gaming audience grew older, they became just as casually minded as the angry birds flicking masses which they defined themselves through their separation from. they began to value a comfy, mechanically undemanding cinematic holiday over the earned gratification of beaten challenge and now publishers have to entertain not only their casual tastes but also their core delusions.

it's all theatre really, and it plays out on these forums as much as anywhere else. the only issue comes when this delusion collides head on with people who still value mechanical intricacy and have the nerve to consider a generation defining masterpiece like uncharted 2 something of an uninvolved slog through an art director's semi interactive showreel.

Is that what 'gaming' been reduced to? Completion? I don't know about you but finishing a game should be a reward not a fucking obligation. If you needed to artificially speed up the process of the game because you want to:

A) Get through the story
B) Not interested in the gameplay

Then it's quite obvious the game has failed you. Go watch Let's Play videos if the need for the game needs to be skimped. Having an autonomous no-pressure based approach is the antithesis of game design in general. I myself have very limited time for games but I'd rather put 50+ hours on a complex game that challenges me than 20+ games that can be finished with the basic skill of holding a controller. I pay for a game experience not observing a museum of stage props.

Eh, I feel like I've wasted my time if I have an hour or two spare and do nothing but reset over and over in Fire Emblem and make 0 progress.

So yeah, I agree Dark Souls is a poor recommendation for someone low on time.

Try Rayman Legends or something.

Or give in and buy a Wii U

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No...
I'm guessing that GTA V is a lot more open and not as scripted?
Thats my problem with Tomb Raider, just how scripted, linear and filled with cutscenes it was.

Don't get me wrong, it's single player 'cinematic' game so I obviously expected some cutscenes and scripted events... I just didn't expect the first two hours to have next to no real gameplay at all.

Is GTA V like that? I thought it was an open world sandbox?

Tomb Raider opens up a little bit later on - you can just wander around after you've completed that story section and look for collectables etc. It's a shame because it is a nice little world, but it is a bit too 'sculpted'

it's all theatre really, and it plays out on these forums as much as anywhere else. the only issue comes when this delusion collides head on with people who still value mechanical intricacy and have the nerve to consider a generation defining masterpiece like uncharted 2 something of an uninvolved slog through an art director's semi interactive showreel.

Why is it we lost Derrick, yet you remain?

Kinyou

Is that what 'gaming' been reduced to? Completion? I don't know about you but finishing a game should be a reward not a fucking obligation. If you needed to artificially speed up the process of the game because you want to:

A) Get through the story
B) Not interested in the gameplay

Then it's quite obvious the game has failed you. Go watch Let's Play videos if the need for the game needs to be skimped. Having an autonomous no-pressure based approach is the antithesis of game design in general. I myself have very limited time for games but I'd rather put 50+ hours on a complex game that challenges me than 20+ games that can be finished with the basic skill of holding a controller. I pay for a game experience not observing a museum of stage props.
The point just is that dark souls aims at the longterm gratification. With limited time it might be hard to reach that point. It simply takes a bit of a time until you reach the moment where the game becomes fun for the gameplay itself and doesn't just frustrate you. If he's willing to gnaw through those beginning stages then sure, he'll have fun. But if I had limited time I'd go for games that offer more instant satisfaction, maybe something like "Trials"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
as the core gaming audience grew older, they became just as casually minded as the angry birds flicking masses which they defined themselves through their separation from. they began to value a comfy, mechanically undemanding cinematic holiday over the earned gratification of beaten challenge and now publishers have to entertain not only their casual tastes but also their core delusions.

Speaking as an older gamer, I think a lot of us demand more than just variations on the same mechanics that we've seen thousands of times before. Its hard to get excited about just shooting someone/something or leaping over a platform without any sort of emotional connection or motivation to persevere.

Story is important to us because it provides context and meaning to get us involved, and keep us playing beyond trying to chase rank and scores. That shit got old years ago.

Freeman

Banned
There is no lack of games build around game play, just make a better pick next time.

"Where's the Gameplay?"
Over at Nintendo's.

People that say that only Nintendo games are built around gameplay are usually the people that only play Nintendo games and have a complete biased view.

Fire Emblem for example a game I greatly enjoy, half the time you spend in the game is either on conversations, cutscenes or menus. In Mario 3D Land you will spend most of your time playing a game that offers no challenge at all, I really enjoyed the game but thank God that is not all games are about.

There was never so many options as of what to play, be it on consoles, PCs or portables. I like games that go for a filmic experience like Uncharted, TloU, Heavy Rain and GTA, that doesn't stop me from also liking games that go on the opposite direction like Dark Souls, Civ, CS, Super Meat Boy, etc.

That said, storytelling is where games are improving the most and as I grow older that is something I tend to value more and more, playing a game just for the mechanics most of the time is not enough for me, save for when they are doing something innovative with is that doesn't fell like I'm playing a slightly different variation of something I already played countless times.

MrJoe

Banned
I'm with you OP. way to many QTEs (not gameplay) scripted events (not gameplay) cinematics (not gameplay) and straight pre-rendered cutscenes (not gameplay) in modern games. videogames used to be nearly 100% gameplay. if I wanted a "filmic" experience I would just watch a movie.

bah-humbug!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Speaking as an older gamer, I think a lot of us demand more than just variations on the same mechanics that we've seen thousands of times before. Its hard to get excited about just shooting someone/something or leaping over a platform without any sort of emotional connection or motivation to persevere.

Story is important to us because it provides context and meaning to get us involved, and keep us playing beyond trying to chase rank and scores. That shit got old years ago.

a story should be told through the strengths of the medium, not through compromising them.

less dragon's lair, more civilization, more dayZ.

not to say there isn't an opportunity for an exquisitely told traditional story in videogames (see planescape torment), but it's the developer who can stitch these kind of emergent micro narratives into a singular comprehensive arc which will get me really excited for the potential of story in gaming.

Lemmy

Banned
There's still a lot more out there than cinematic trash nowadays though, lets not forget that. You made a choice to play something like Tomb Raider over... say for example, Rayman Legends or Guacamelee to pull some random names out of my arse. You're bound to have known what you were in for even a little bit beforehand, especially when it was praised by the modern day gaming media ;)

Boy... and I thought I could be pretentious.

Story is important to us because it provides context and meaning to get us involved, and keep us playing beyond trying to chase rank and scores.

If it was completely true, Interactive Fiction would be much more practiced by gamers than it is today. There are some gems to discover in this genre, and no ranking and scores to disturb you.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

If you're so tired of video games, why do you still play video games?

MormaPope

Banned
Games I've been playing recently:

Fallout New Vegas
Payday 2
Sonic Generations
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
Strider (2014)
Street Fighter 4 Ultra

Very few cutscenes, almost no scripted events, hours and hours of straight up gameplay. The more open you are to different genres the more you'll get out of this medium.

duckroll

I'm playing Bioshock Infinite now, and I had a bit of a realization. Yes, lots of AAA games today are defined by cutscenes, scripted scenes, vendor menus, and not a lot of (compelling) gameplay. But let's take a step back and ask - so what?

It's not a secret that many game directors harbor ambitious of making movies. Some of them have big ideas and narratives they want to explore, some of them just want to make large scale set pieces, etc. Breaking into Hollywood blockbusters requires getting funding for 150-250 million dollar films these days. The financial bar is getting higher and higher. Studios funding these films also tend to want to play it safe. The barrier of entry for an AAA game on the other hand is substantially lower. For 50-100 million you can make something which looks pretty damn amazing. In a way, it seems to be that AAA cinematic action games these days are an amateur form of blockbuster films. Less polish and experience, but not with less passion.

If there is no audience for an interactive movie experience, people would not be buying millions of these games and allowing the business to continue. So clearly, this is something gaming has evolved into and there is both demand from the people who consume them, as well as desire from the creators to make them. Nothing wrong with that.

I think we're also seeing that those who want other experiences as well, do have alternatives these days. Developers who don't want to make AAA movie games are slowly finding the footing again to find other means of funding and delivering these games to audiences. Indies, Kickstarters, Early Access, etc. Not everything is going smoothly, it's a work in progress, and there will be a lot of learning in the next few years. But it's not all bad.

/rant

I think the golden rule is: "if during those cutscene the player character is executing something that the player expects being able to execute by himself, the game is a fucking ****".

If i'm in a stealth action game, and the game stops because it wants to show me interaction between two characters, like Joel talking with Ellie... well fine, i don't expect to press X for Jason in The Last of Us. But if i enter an abandoned building in a survival horror, i expect to experience the exploration, the unfolding of dark corridors and walls: after all there is a full character-movement system that i mastered during the game itself that is there just to allow me to experience that.In such a case the game switching to a cutscene of my scared hero entering the place is basically the developer being a piece of shit and janking the controller out of my hands.

I won't even go on to the zero of game design aka QTEs. Gamers should not accept to degrade themselves to performing tasks designed for lab rats and other critters.

AKA Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - look, here's a cutscene to see what's around the corner because we don't trust you to actually look around once you get there and we spent a lot of time building that place.

Anura

OP should play Nintendo games, Monster Hunter, Dark souls and indies platformers.

There is also a social component to the problem : cinema is a recognized, noble art-form. For (some) game developpers and journalists, 'cinematic' videogames is something more desirable as its corollary is a social status boost for people gravitating around this industry.

+ cinema comes with an established grammar about 'cinematic' codes, whereas you don't have any real similar equivalent for gameplay yet (or not as developped). Makes it harder to talk/criticize/analyze/etc about it.

Eh... Not Monster Hunter. Don't get me wrong I love MH in fact it's possibly my favorite series ever. I don't exactly think it's what OP is looking for though and it takes a very long time to hook sometimes

I also don't understand the idea that a "seamless integration of scripted events during gameplay" is supposed to be something compelling/interesting or even something game developers should go after.

I feel like only having control over the game half the time and the other half are the scripts making me jump through hoops that take me out of the experience.

There is no tension mashing X to hold on to a speeding car or getting out of a stranglehold, it's annoying and frustrating to experience!

I always Laugh when people try to tell me that pushing up on the analog stick in last of us is 'powerful storytelling' great game but no. You're brainwashed.

Skilletor

As an older gamer, fuck stories in videogames. That's why I read and watch movies. I play games to play games. Story is the last thing I'm looking forward to when I fire up a game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

What

Sadly not, but games in that style still exist and are still being made (slowly). If you aren't finding the gameplay you want in AAA games it's worth mentioning.

ibeixGL6hnlqja.gif

Man I'm reading some crazy stuff on GAF lately.

Nah...you're being funny

This won't end well for you...

Yeah, I hate these stupid games where you press a button and a car accelerates. I mean, that's as scripted as it can be, someone coded that shit instead of it happening dynamically by spontaneous programming. Or those annoying QTEs where you click the left mouse button and Duke Nukem shoots his RPG at an octabrain, or you press the down arrow and a cutscene plays of a Tetris block falling down.

Man, gaming is ruined :/

Hahahaha holy shit this is actually the worst thing I've ever read on GAF.

Not sure if you're a genius or just really unaware.

Everything is scripted, we have no real control, wake up sheeple!
hook line and sinker
, gafs sarcasm detector is obviously broken 😁

Eh... Not Monster Hunter. Don't get me wrong I love MH in fact it's possibly my favorite series ever. I don't exactly think it's what OP is looking for though and it takes a very long time to hook sometimes

Too bad. You are absolutely right about the player having to spend some time to open up to the gameplay, but once you are hooked, it's a perfectly formated series for short/intense sequences of play.

This is completely false. The game barely takes any more time setting itself up than San Andreas. Right after finishing the intro/tutorial and stealing your first car with Franklin you arrive in a safehouse and can already fuck around in the city to your heart's desire. The simple fact that the progression in GTA V is highly compartmentalized in missions means it's far more ideal for your odd 2-hour game break than TR. This poster has no idea what he's talking about.

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Okay, cool. You're a pleasant cat to talk to.

Just because they let you drive a car between long cut scenes and scripted missions doesn't make it any less scripted mission or cut scene.

It's cool if you like GTAV (I'm going to give it another go when it hits Xone this year) but it's not a jump in-jump out, cutscene free, scripted section free game. Stop pretending that it is.

Yeah, fuck this recent, modern trend of stories in ga- oh wait.

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg

That game wasn't great because of the story alone, as a point & click adventure the puzzle progression was a huge part of it's gameplay. These games lose a lot of their appeal if you know all the riddles inside out and have very little replay value because of it. Even as a big Monkey Island fan I have to accept that.

If Monkey Island were based on Heavy Rain gameplay it would have never become a classic.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
As an older gamer, fuck stories in videogames. That's why I read and watch movies. I play games to play games. Story is the last thing I'm looking forward to when I fire up a game.

I really don't have a problem with stories in games as long as it's balanced well with gameplay. It's a shame that most devs are completely incapable of doing that, so crap like TR2013 exists.

Skilletor

Yeah, fuck this recent, modern trend of stories in ga- oh wait.

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg
King%27s_Quest_I_-_Quest_for_the_Crown_Coverart.jpg

I don't get your point? I never mentioned a "recent trend." I couldn't care less about stories in games, period. Monkey Island is fun because of the puzzles.

I really don't have a problem with stories in games as long as it's balanced well with gameplay. It's a shame that most devs are completely incapable of doing that, so crap like TR2013 exists.

I agree.

Azriell

This is the reason I have been moving away from AAA over the past 6+ years. Gears of War 2 (campaign) was the first game I played where I remember thinking "all I'm doing is cover shoot cover shoot move repeat." I know a lot of people like that sort of thing, but to me it's just boring as hell. Then it started to bother me how many games are big set pieces or linear corridors. That just doesn't speak to me.

I get that some games do this for the story, or for the spectacle. These things just don't matter that much to me. A good game will spark my imagination and make me want to know the backstory. I will read logs and the such if a game really hooks me with gameplay, and I will care about the universe. If a game focuses on story first, I tend to get bored and lose interest before the story or the gameplay can capture my attention.

As a result, I switched mostly to handhelds. Handheld games tend to not have the power/resources for such frivolous things, and instead focus on gameplay. That's not to say those games don't have story, but they aren't going to waste cartridge space on big cutscenes. And there's also the idea many handheld devs keep in mind, which is that handheld gamers need to be able to pick up a game, play for 5-10 minutes, and put it back down. That sort of timetable doesn't allow for cutscenes or long bouts of dialogue.

Now indies are bigger than ever, and they are also a refuge from these issues. Indies tend to take a core concept or two and expose how much you can do with it. They are distilled gameplay, rather than gameplay watered down with non-play sections. Any many of them manage to still tell really good stories through/with the gameplay.

That's not to say I don't still play AAA games sometimes. I'm buying GTA V when it comes to PC. I like CoD/BF MP. I played Tomb Raider and enjoyed it, although I did take issue with the linearity and shaky-cam run sections. I just find that gameplay-first is more entertaining, and that's the reason why I play games to begin with.

Modern games - cutscenes, scripted events and menus. Where's the gameplay?
*places hand on shoulder.

Don't fight it OP.

You've got Uncharted 4, next God of War and other games coming up. All will get 90+ metacritic, receive standing ovations and awards from the gaming community. Facial animations and close up of faces is the pinnacle of gaming.

Linear auto platforming - "interactive" cinematics where you just hold up while explosions and shit happen around you.

Embrace it.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've decided to give Max The Curse of Brotherhood a go since its free with games for gold.
I'm 30 mins in and am already enjoying it way more than Tomb Raider. Not bad considering it's free.

Skilletor

Don't fight it OP.

You've got Uncharted 4, next God of War and other games coming up. All will get 90+ metacritic, receive standing ovations and awards from the gaming community. Facial animations and close up of faces is the pinnacle of gaming.

Linear auto platforming - "interactive" cinematics where you just hold up while explosions and shit happen around you.

Embrace it.

I read this as Austin Powers and it made me less sad than it would have otherwise.

RedSwirl

Yeah this is pretty much what story-based games have become when you talk about the biggest blockbusters. A lot of them have become less games and more "interactive rides." I don't think that's bad in and of itself, but in my opinion probably around three developers in the entire industry do it well, Valve being possibly the ultimate example. OP, whenever a developer says "story-based" in their description, that's usually a sign this is the kind of experience you're going to get.

What I don't like about all these types of games is they take control away from the player too often, to try to tell a story that maybe isn't a very good fit or that kind of video game. They try to do too much that doesn't really accommodate the base gameplay mechanics and thus end up abandoning those mechanics a lot of the time. It's almost like many of these games are ashamed to be video games, or are caught trying to choose between making a game and telling a "cinematic" story. I just think that if a game is going to try to tell a story, it shouldn't try to borrow from film as much as many of these games are. A lot of these developers need to let go of some of those ambitions and realize video game stories aren't going to look like film, just like the movie version of a story will inevitably differ wildly from the book.

The few games that do the linear story-driven thing well I feel are games that manage to do it without actually robbing the player of control. Too many games rely on QTEs and parts where you have to "Press E to accept baptism." The good ones simply craft the scripting and story into the environment around the player instead of trying to directly control the player's actions. Valve is very good at doing this in the Half-Life and Portal games in my opinion. Some may disagree with me, but I'd also put up Call of Duty 4 (but none of the later COD games) as an example.

That said, the people saying there are tons of games that don't do this are right. You just have to know where to look. A good way to tell is by the developer making it.

If you want to avoid super-scripted AAA gaming you should probably stay away from Ubisoft with the sole exception of the last couple Rayman games. Ubisoft has become hand-holdy as fuck in recent years and has even managed to make open-world games feel linear. Actually Far Cry 2 is another big exception -- that game offers you a lot of freedom, but has its own set of flaws. Ubisoft started to take this turn after Assassin's Creed II became a hit in 2009.

In general, Japanese developers haven't done this crap nearly as much. Capcom perhaps has fucked up with the last couple Resident Evil games but that's disputable. A lot of big Japanese games still have shitloads of cut scenes and non-interactive dialogue in the case of JRPGs, but that's been the case since at least the late 90's. If your'e expecting to explore big worlds at your leisure in JRPGs though stay away from Final Fantasy XIII. Platinum is excellent if you want snappy, classic Japanese arcade gameplay. Nintendo has made some of the best mechanic-focused games of the last decade.

Bethesda has been another great developer and publisher for games that are 90 or 100% actual gameplay. Their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are all about letting you just do whatever you want for hundreds of hours after their brief tutorial sequences. The games they publish like RAGE, Dishonored, and Wolfenstein The New Order are also great examples of singleplayer first person games that actually let you play the game most of the time. Actually, Bethesda has also been a great example of how to make story-focused games that don't repeatedly take control away from players.

Really, western RPGs in general I think have been one of the best avenues for interactive storytelling. You spend a lot of time going through dialogue and making narrative choices, but those dialogue trees are essentially part of the gameplay, and feel much more interactive and immersive than QTEs or scripted events.

Sounds like the op just has to find games that drop you in the action early given the limited time to play. There are plenty of games that fit that mold, but perhaps Persona 4 of the world and its 5 hour intro is not it.

Might I recommend Guacamelee which is free with Gold today on Xbone?

Nymphae

Banned
Honestly OP, I've felt the exact same way recently. I don't buy games at retail anymore (thanks Canadian PS4 pricing), and can't even remember the last big game I actually completed. Oh wait, The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Before that? I have no idea, it was a long time ago.

But, unlike you, I had a pretty damn good time with Tomb Raider, picked it up for 5 bucks on the Summer Steam Sale.

I agree with almost everything you said about modern game design, but I found TR to be a pretty good Uncharted style game, I'm actually going back to it every night and will be finishing it shortly. I haven't noticed an overabundance of cutscenes, and it's nice that you can skip them. I found it to be a pretty awesome summer blockbuster style, uncharted-esque adventure.

JCX

Yeah I have to agree. I appreciate when a game happens to have a good story, but it's not at all an expectation. I play games to play, not to watch. Probably why I never got into let's play.

MechaX

Not being funny but isn't street fighter "input button combination for awesome"
And your not exactly performing a kick for each kick that lands with a hurricane kick
Street Fighter is very scripted, although the gameplay is there, but it's how done thats the difference, this actually applies to all games.
Just wanted to point that out.

At... a very, very, very fundamental level, I guess you are technically correct that yes, fighting games do have "input button combination for awesome move."

With that said, you should probably run for the hills for this one, "sarcasm detector" or not.

a story should be told through the strengths of the medium, not through compromising them.

less dragon's lair, more civilization, more dayZ.

Wrong. A story can be told any way the teller wants. And a game can be on any point of the spectra of importance of gameplay, visuals, narrative, or audio. It's not a choice for you to make, neither shove down on anybody's throats.

not to say there isn't an opportunity for an exquisitely told traditional story in videogames

But that's exactly what you said.

Don't fight it OP.

Embrace it.

"... taking it to Uncharted 4, it's like, okay, now we know how to keep the core [mechanics in setpieces], how do we expand Drake's core moveset, how do we build more systems, give the player more options, more ways to approach the game, whether it's exploration, traversal or combat, you're going to have more ways to ... attack those things" - Neil Druckmann, post-E3 interview

Despite the efforts of people like you and ghst, this tired spiel keeps falling flat on its face.

Skilletor

"... taking it to Uncharted 4, it's like, okay, now we know how to keep the core [mechanics in setpieces], how do we expand Drake's core moveset, how do we build more systems, give the player more options, more ways to approach the game, whether it's exploration, traversal or combat, you're going to have more ways to ... attack those things" - Neil Druckmann, post-E3 interview

Despite the efforts of people like you and ghst, this tired spiel keeps falling flat on its face.

Shouldn't we wait for the game to come out before saying that? lol.

Also, triple post, dude. :p Just edit.

REV 09

I understand the complaints, but games aren't targeting just one type of experience anymore. Tomb Raider IS fantastic for what it is.

MormaPope

Banned
With how varied the market is, especially on PC, its hard for me not to find something to dig into and enjoy. There are issues regarding development and design in modern games, but its not hard to stray from the biggest releases and have tons of fun.

There are whole genres I haven't really tried, Strategy games, MMOs, RTS, rhythm games, flight simulators.

Top Bottom