• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare: Spec Ops mode exclusive to PlayStation for a year!!! (Survival Mode only)

Phase

Yeah but I have no trouble not buying MTX, personally. The Season Pass' always tempted me and sometimes I even grabbed them.
Ah good then. Same here with MTX, Can't remember the last time I bought one. I've just started playing POE (about 50 hrs so far) and haven't spent anything. Feel like I should support them lol.

Dacon

Banned
So by the time they release this shit on other platforms they'll have already announced the next Call of Duty?

LOL

Phase

So by the time they release this shit on other platforms they'll have already announced the next Call of Duty?

LOL
You got it

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This whole arguing about who did it first is fucking stupid. They've all done similarly scummy shit. Sony paid Eidos to keep Tomb Raider off the Saturn, they had exclusive content in Ubisoft games last gen, MS had 30 days exclusivity with COD maps and funded the GTA IV DLC to have it exclusive for a year etc.

As sad as it is to say from a consumer standpoint, it's just how business is these days. But this whataboutism bullshit gets you nowhere and it's just pathetic on all fronts, regardless of what side you fall on.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Well, PS2 was a juggernaut... I doubt they had to pay anyone to make games exclusive to PS2.
Nintendo does it with Bayonetta and stuff too.... so I would equate Sony to Nintendo. MS & EA are pioneers in how shitty they can make the industry.

Lol. Sony rootkit scandal puts them on the top of the list and by far.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This whole arguing about who did it first is fucking stupid. They've all done similarly scummy shit. Sony paid Eidos to keep Tomb Raider off the Saturn, they had exclusive content in Ubisoft games last gen, MS had 30 days exclusivity with COD maps and funded the GTA IV DLC to have it exclusive for a year etc.

As sad as it is to say from a consumer standpoint, it's just how business is these days. But this whataboutism bullshit gets you nowhere and it's just pathetic on all fronts, regardless of what side you fall on.

I think people forgot that Sony that Sony paid to stop Tomb raider being on another console so were the first to start this, but that doesn't mean what's happening is good. Thats in the past and this is now. shitty practice will always be shitty practice. as I maintained its Activisons fault this time around and a year is far to long to withhold the mode

FranXico

Lol. Sony rootkit scandal puts them on the top of the list and by far.
He was talking about the gaming industry. But if you want to go far into the past, Microsoft is the absolute worst ever.
OEM exclusivity deals.
Internet Explorer 6 facilitating all sorts of easy exploits worldwide.
Office throttling down Cyrix processors to help out their friends at Intel.
The DBLSPACE command scandal.
OS/2 incompatibilities purposely added to DOS.

I don't blame you if you are too young to have even heard of any of these things though.

Last edited:

spanna

Why are people blaming Activision? This is 99% on Sony. If they weren't paying for it, it wouldn't happen. Does anyone think that Microsoft couldn't easily money-hat everything if they wanted? They simply have evolved and are no longer doing that.

Where I do fault MS, is with them not pushing back on Activision. I know they don't have a ton of leverage at the moment, but at least condemn this move publicly. This pushes exclusive content to a new level of assbaggery. People buying the same game for the same price, but not receiving core content? Shameless.
Because microsoft would be massive hypocrites if they said anything. They started the DLC exclusives thing ages ago. Weirdly there wasnt hardly any commotion about that back then. The people to blame are reddit and its users. In fact I would go so far as to say the gaming community nowadays is a complete sh1t show purely down to the negative, moaning rewarding sh1thole that is reddit. Its a shame to have seen neogaf turn into a mini reddit really.

Last edited:

NickFire

Imagine the broken dishes and flipped over plates of trendies if they came out and blamed Xbox owners for buying the wrong system. Would be the most glorious non political troll in history I think.

JLB

Banned
He was talking about the gaming industry. But if you want to go far into the past, Microsoft is the absolute worst ever.
OEM exclusivity deals.
Internet Explorer 6 facilitating all sorts of easy exploits worldwide.
Office throttling down Cyrix processors to help out their friends at Intel.
The DBLSPACE command scandal.
OS/2 incompatibilities purposely added to DOS.

I don't blame you if you are too young to have even heard of any of these things though.

I thought he was referring to the entertainment industry as a whole.
Sadly im not that young, so I know the disgrace that MS was in the 90s.

No apology needed but let's be honest, if I had trouble paying my rent, would you care? Will never understand why anyone should care about something that doesn't affect them? Especially if/when can't do anything about it anyway. It is what it is. Don't like it? Don't buy the game. Don't know what else to say.

Get some empathy dude.

It sucks but I wouldn't let this stop you if you're interested in the rest of the game. Survival in mw3 was fun but not a deal breaker if it's missing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why did this become sony vs microsoft? It's shit in general and needs to stop.

Because the majority of players in here use a Playstation 4 and doesn't like to see Sony as a villain.

It's everyone else's fault. Just look at the MW exclusive threads. Activision gets attacked for toxic practice and Sony somehow gets a free pass.

I know Activision delivered the cash flow, but Sony didn't exactly say no.

NickFire

Because the majority of players in here use a Playstation 4 and doesn't like to see Sony as a villain.

It's everyone else's fault. Just look at the MW exclusive threads. Activision gets attacked for toxic practice and Sony somehow gets a free pass.

I know Activision delivered the cash flow, but Sony didn't exactly say no.
Sony does deserve a pass. If they said no, this thread would still exist. It would just be PS4 owners who are most upset instead of Xbox owners. Activision is not going to decline money just because Sony says no thanks. They would just lower their price until MS said yes.

The only way this stops is if the system owners who get shafted, boycott the game altogether in enough numbers to get attention from Activision.

The_Mike

Sony does deserve a pass. If they said no, this thread would still exist. It would just be PS4 owners who are most upset instead of Xbox owners. Activision is not going to decline money just because Sony says no thanks. They would just lower their price until MS said yes.

The only way this stops is if the system owners who get shafted, boycott the game altogether in enough numbers to get attention from Activision.

So Sony are the good guys. That must be the craziest defence I've ever seen in a fanboy post.

"no Sony is not the bad guys for taking money and fucking other platforms". Can you hear it yourself?

You'd probably rage at Microsoft for doing this deal, while it's good when Sony does. Double standards smh.

JLB

Banned
If this was the choice the publishers had between:

Making the DLC additional MP maps PS4 exclusive
or
Making a horde mode modifier within Spec Ops PS4 exclusive

then I’m totally okay with the choice.

Activision takes $x million of marketing dollars and some development costs, Sony gets an exclusive alpha and a Spec Ops modifier. If that money isn’t there, then maybe they couldn’t have done an alpha, bugs might have not cropped up until Beta, and the subsequently fixed later instead of before release.

People cancelling their preorders and posting misinformed reactions (“ALL OF SPEC OPS IS PS4 EXCLUSIVE”) need to chill a little.

Edit: developer reply which should be in OP:

K2BQjJB.png

Some time later.
Yeah, a year.

Ar¢tos

So Sony are the good guys. That must be the craziest defence I've ever seen in a fanboy post.

"no Sony is not the bad guys for taking money and fucking other platforms". Can you hear it yourself?

You'd probably rage at Microsoft for doing this deal, while it's good when Sony does. Double standards smh.
No, it's not Sony being good or not (or MS in the same situation), it's Activision being Activision.
They won't release a big popular game without the backing of a platform holder to ease shareholders stress on the development/distribution/etc cost, specially when with each new entry there is higher risk of franchise fatigue. They obviously offered it first to Sony because of the install base, but if Sony refused they would have gone straight away to MS.
Do you really believe MS would say no because of peace on land and stolen childhoods? Neither would Sony.

The_Mike

The braindeads who still support them and buys their games deserve nothing better. You want change then stop giving them money!

Maybe the people who buy it aren't the one who want changes?

Besides, this year's Cod has many changes. Not mtx wise but gameplay wise.

Awesome. So can Activision explain to me why as an XB1 user I should pay the same amount of money as the PS4 version while getting less content?
Did you forget the xbox360 era? MS did it all the time, now tides have turned. Sony is now the leader, and with 100 mil. Consoles sold they do the same thing that MS did with the Xbox360.
PAYBACK TIME😋

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Did you forget the xbox360 era? MS did it all the time, now tides have turned. Sony is now the leader, and with 100 mil. Consoles sold they do the same thing that MS did with the Xbox360.
PAYBACK TIME😋
You know Sony had permanent exclusive content in some of their multiplatform games last gen right? It's shitty for the consumer no matter who does it.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah deflecting on my answer is to easy to see trough it. My answer stands strong. MS did it every time with every developer who grabbed the money.
Don't be so dense. MS and Sony were both guilty of it and pretending it didn't happen just to fit your narrative simply because you're anti XB is quite frankly pathetic. I'm not wasting my time on yet another fanboy.

I remember last gen I always got for 360 because games performed better on it. If there was exclusive content I missed I don't recall, I think the exclusive content of a non-blurry Black Ops ll was a pretty good one for 360, I rented it for PS3 and was like "why is this game so blurry?" bought the 360 version and said "oh... it's not supposed to look that way." With multi-platform games performance/visuals will always trump exclusives guns/modes/whatever for me.

If you believe in the two evils explanation, yeah.

Well, prior to this entry Sony was getting map packs a month early, you can't do that with crossplay because then you're really dividing the fanbase up worse than ever. Whatever the ins and outs of their thing with Sony is this was their way of staying true to that deal I'd assume. Most of us would rather they just dropped such exclusivity deals, even those of us who can easily take advantage. I wanted the PC version, for instance because I wreck so much harder on mouse/keyboard (I know I can use them on PS4) but I'll probably opt for the Pro version now, especially since if I get sick of the game I can trade it in. In essence their plan worked but the sliminess of it could put me off from getting it at launch as there are other options and if money is tight CoD wasn't number 1 anyways.

T_LVPL

love special ops but always hated those silly survival modes. That’s the only reason why i’ve got a Platinum in MW2 but not MW3. I’m a ps4 player but won’t be touching that mode. honestly can’t understand why this is such a big deal other than the sensation people have for knowing they don’t own 100% of the content.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The braindeads who still support them and buys their games deserve nothing better. You want change then stop giving them money!
As I've said before I stopped buying and playing COD after the first Black Ops game.
After playing the beta the graphics bump, setting and gameplay changes got me excited enough to pre-order and I'm counting the days till release. As an Xbox player do I like the deal? No. But bitching over them excluding a mode I was probley never going to play would be like crying over spilt sour milk.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaptorGTA

I would probably play this mode once or twice. Maybe if I had friends to play with it would be different. However, my concern is this mode will give players some advantage. Like more access to loot boxes or items that can give PS4 players an advantage. Sounds silly sure..but I think this mode has to offer more then what we see at face value for Sony to pay extra.

I also think the game should cost less on other platforms if this mode is missing. Yea, it's not a major element of the game for most..but its missing content. One thing if its held back a month or two..but a year is silly..the game will be at a reduce cost anyone as the new COD will be coming out.

I am more concerned with weapons in loot boxes then this mode though.. Again it's not a big deal for me..more annoyed of the businesses practice than anything...Still buying the game day 1. Wont be getting another COD after this.

You know Sony had permanent exclusive content in some of their multiplatform games last gen right? It's shitty for the consumer no matter who does it.
I agree with you its not costumer friendly, i mean they both do and did it, do you rember that MS had a year excl. content for GTA? The biggest franchise on consoles?
When you compare these two this deal is not so significant, as the deal between MS and Rockstar with GTA.
Again i dont agree with it...but it started last gen and it is here
this gen and it will be the same next gen. The console with the biggest gamerbase will get that kind of offer, it could be the PS5 or the Scarlett. Developers will do it again cous it works for them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do you guys not have PlayStations?
Sure, but I don't want to buy that version. That's the issue for me. I feel like I am being compelled to buy the game on the system not of my choosing. It's making me not want to buy it at all.

Last edited:

FranXico

Sure, but I don't want to buy that version. That's the issue for me. I feel like I am being compelled to buy the game on the system not of my choosing. It's making me not want to buy it at all.
That's exactly how I felt about a lot of games last gen.

Are people really suggesting then when MS did this in the 360 days with COD, it was the same thing...?

That was 30 days. Sometimes 7. For a map or two that nobody played anyway.

tomb raider underworld for 360 had exclusive extra content that wasnt released for the ps3 version

also I remember oblivion had a DLC that never came for PS3

This is a whole YEAR. For a section of game. A whole game mode, that people were looking forward to playing.

It’s not just bad, it’s utterly shameful. I don’t care if it’s Sony or Activision at blame here. Neither of them should have done this, it’s the exact opposite of “for the players”.

Terrible practise... really poor show...

is bad but not as bad as making shadow of the tomb raider exclusive for xbox one for a "whole YEAR"

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Shadow wasn’t timed exclusive at all, it was our day and date on all platforms. Rise had an exclusivity deal, because MS out the cash up for development, and without it the game wouldn’t exist. Hardly the same.

Three

All I see are excuses for Sony to be shitty, granted Activision is just as guilty, like they were last gen with Microsoft. As it was already said, two wrongs don’t make a single right.

It’s just wrong to pay full price for a game and knowing just because you are on a different console/platform. you don’t get 100% of that game because of a greedy deal between the publisher and game platform.

What if you are getting 100% of it but the deal gave them the financing to create a new mode on the other platform?

Philosoraptor.jpg

Seemed to be a valid excuse for MS during the GTA4 deal

Shadow wasn’t timed exclusive at all, it was our day and date on all platforms. Rise had an exclusivity deal, because MS out the cash up for development, and without it the game wouldn’t exist. Hardly the same.
The game was up for preorder on PS4 before it was removed due to the deal. Love that this is an excuse there for the entire game.

Last edited:

Pallas

What if you are getting 100% of it but the deal gave them the financing to create a new mode on the other platform?

Philosoraptor.jpg

Seemed to be a valid excuse for MS during the GTA4 deal

The game was up for preorder on PS4 before it was removed due to the deal. Love that this is an excuse there for the entire game.[/B]
Proof or just conjecture?

I already have my two cents on the subject, I got nothing else to say about this.

Last edited:

Three

Microsoft was shitty for making x360 users privileged, but it's acceptable when Sony does it?
I don't agree with these deals either but dude, do you even remember the 360 days? They had timed exclusivity deals for 5 years prior until sony got it

Read it. Not a single soul gave MS shit for anything back then. So quite the opposite. It was acceptable back then and now it's not.
Now maybe even read the MS E3 2006 GTA4 timed exclusive DLC announcement thread too. 'Sony am cry', 'megaton', ' The King is dead'.

Now though these are big issues and it's all Sony's fault for the usual suspects. Just like how crossplay wasn't a big deal during the 360 days because people were paying to play online to keep the filthy peasants off their platform or something.

I hate these deals just as much but you've got to be kidding me if you think 'now it's acceptable but wasn't before' when nobody batted an eye for 5 years+ prior.

FranXico

I don't agree with these deals either but dude, do you even remember the 360 days? They had timed exclusivity deals for 5 years prior until sony got it

Read it. Not a single soul gave MS shit for anything back then. So quite the opposite. It was acceptable back then and now it's not.
Now maybe even read the MS E3 2006 GTA4 timed exclusive DLC announcement thread too. 'Sony am cry', 'megaton', ' The King is dead'.

Now though these are big issues and it's all Sony's fault for the usual suspects. Just like how crossplay wasn't a big deal during the 360 days because people were paying to play online to keep the filthy peasants off their platform or something.

I hate these deals just as much but you've got to be kidding me if you think 'now it's acceptable but wasn't before' when nobody batted an eye for 5 years+ prior.
Quoted for Truth.
I'm willing to bet that most of the people here always jumping on Sony for being anti-consumer were cheering Microsoft when did even worst last gen. And for what? To support the trillion dollar company "underdog" in their righteous fight against Evil Sony? Hypocrites, the lot of them.

And for the record, I didn't buy Destiny or Call of Duty this gen. I don't see any benefit in DLC exclusivity deals, the only exclusive games I care about are first-party anyway.

Last edited:
mixed the names my bad, we all know what happened to Rise and what Phil Spencer said and how it was managed, it was a mess and a PR disaster for MS, I dont remeber anything about cash problems said by them or SE

according to Microsoft Studios executive Phil Spencer, it would be a timed exclusive similar to Microsoft's deal with Capcom and Crytek on Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome (in which both were released for Microsoft Windows). This sparked player outrage from players, who blamed franchise owner Square Enix for the decision.[40] Microsoft's calling the game "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015" caused confusion among the gaming press and players.[41] Rogers explained in 2015 that the Microsoft timed exclusivity was primarily due to the company's strong support for the 2013 reboot. Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher said that the partnership could help the team "deliver the best game that [they] can".[42] Rogers called the arrangement a "natural" evolution and a "tough" decision.[43]

-wikipedia

were DR3 and Ryse in need of cash too? apparently they were exclusive deals as usual, some need the money others just want the quick money

there is no mention of Square Enixe needing the money to make the game, only ambiguous claims by Crystal Dynamics and rumors started by theory of sites like gamesradar without any proof and even they contradict themselves( link). Ms tried to capitalize the PR but it backfired, in fact I rememeber the game had terrible sales because it released between other big games and yet they made another TR game without the need of cash from an exlcusive deal, I dont remember reports of SE in financial trouble before or after shadow of the tomb raider either in fact they were very stable when rise was being developed

Last edited:
Top Bottom