• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

fernoca

Yeah, there's no online key on the PS3 version.

Anyway, no problems here, with the retail version so it doesn't seem to be a server/online issue. Problem seems to be tied to the digital release.

Been playing this over the last few weeks (got it recently) and after the last patch, loading times has been greatly reduced, compared to prior to it. Now the loading percent moves faster and doesn't even need to reach 100%, sometimes at 80% the game starts.

Really like it. Got my first "weird situation" yesterday, when I saw someone else playing with my character. Was weird, because my character is just me. So it was weird seeing myself playing and been controlled by another person. XD

Speevy

Banned
That's good to hear.

I wrote a message about this on the official MNR forums, where other people are having the issue.

It's just so frustrating when you've spent several hours downloading a 9.8 GB game, almost an hour installing it, and it doesn't work.

fernoca

Firehead said:
There's an update up. 193 MB, downloading right now. Let's see if it fixes the online problem.
Are you sure?
I just played the game earlier for around 2 hours and put the game again right now and there's no update. There was one around a week ago.

netguy503

fernoca said:
Are you sure?
I just played the game earlier for around 2 hours and put the game again right now and there's no update. There was one around a week ago.

If it's 1.9 I downloaded it last night too. I think the file size matched that. Might be only for retail copies though.

fernoca

netguy503 said:
If it's 1.9 I downloaded it last night too. I think the file size matched that. Might be only for retail copies though.
Well, I have the retail copy. Went back to the PS3, HDD says I have version 1.08 still, maybe it's around the server and may appear later. went back to the game and I'm online right now with other people around slamming my car. :p

netguy503

fernoca said:
Well, I have the retail copy. Went mack to the PS3, HDD says I have version 1.08 still, maybe it's around the server and may appear later. went back to the game and I'm online right now with other people around slamming my car. :p

I'm in NA. You? Also, what is your PSN ID as I still need a trophy boosting partner for this game. Especially for the DLC campaign.

Firehead

Yeah, the update seems to have fixed the internet with the downloadable version.

Edit:
Everyone's welcomed to add me on PSN - ID is Firehead03.

Just wondering, haven't played game in over 8 months due to long loading times; have they finally greatly reduced the loading times? I remember after the update, it still took about close to 45 secs to load one screen.

fernoca

deVIZtator said:
Just wondering, haven't played game in over 8 months due to long loading times; have they finally greatly reduced the loading times? I remember after the update, it still took about close to 45 secs to load one screen.
There was an update less than a month ago. Noticed even shorter loadings after that. Though haven't actually counted. Single, online; the general modes seem to load faster.

MrPliskin

Banned
zoner said:
I really want UFG to announce a ModNation 2 that takes a more Hydro Thunder approach.

Isn't UFG getting canned by activision? Barring someone buying them out, or them going Indie and finding another publisher, chances could be slim.

newjeruse

UFG is an independent developer. Yes, a game they were working on was canned by Activision significantly into the development process. But that doesn't mean they have to shut down.

reKon

Banned
Anyone make any crazy maps or know of any great ones to download since all of this new DLC is out now? My collection of maps is amazing (over 3 hours worth of gameplay if you were to race back to back)

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I'd love to see a sequel to this, definitely with simplified controls/mechanics though.

I loved the handling, but being punished twice because i tried to block a weapon and failed was really annoying. There were also too many buttons to think about. I think the switch things could have been triggered by driving over them.

Great racer though :)

reKon

Banned
James-Ape said:
I'd love to see a sequel to this, definitely with simplified controls/mechanics though.

I loved the handling, but being punished twice because i tried to block a weapon and failed was really annoying. There were also too many buttons to think about. I think the switch things could have been triggered by driving over them.

Great racer though :)

The deep racing gameplay is what sets this apart. I can't sideswipe on other kart racers. That feeling is so satisfying, especially if you get the chance to bump someone off a cliff. They shouldn't change a thing in that aspect. The system is brilliant IMO. Easily to learn, hard to perfect (also all IMO).

There's not too many buttons to think about all, you just need to play more to get used to it and realize that it's not as simple as mario kart.

btkadams

what are everyone's thoughts on the psp version of this?

i'm speaking mostly because of the new welcome back promotion. i have one more psp game to choose and i can't decide if this is worth it. i really want a good version of the ps3 version on the go but i've heard lbp psp might be better. i already have played through lbp1/2 on ps3 as well as modnationps3.

i just feel like a kart racer would be more fitting on the go.

btkadams said:
what are everyone's thoughts on the psp version of this?

i'm speaking mostly because of the new welcome back promotion. i have one more psp game to choose and i can't decide if this is worth it. i really want a good version of the ps3 version on the go but i've heard lbp psp might be better. i already have played through lbp1/2 on ps3 as well as modnationps3.

i just feel like a kart racer would be more fitting on the go.

I only played the demo, but the controls are really awkward. Hopefully it's something you can adjust to eventually, since I went ahead and picked the full game as one of my freebies.

The track editor is pretty impressive and easy to use, though. Not sure how gimped it's options are compared to the PS3 version, but from someone who hasn't played the PS3 version it seems pretty nicely done.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HadesGigas said:
I only played the demo, but the controls are really awkward. Hopefully it's something you can adjust to eventually, since I went ahead and picked the full game as one of my freebies

Yeah, the handeling is really funky. But its a decent downgrade of the PS3 version, like LBP PSP (even if LBPSP's graphics are really REALLY bad. :|). I'm impressed so far. If I could customize the controls and tighten the drift to where it isn't sliding me into walls, it'd be good.

There's now players on it unlike at like 5AM this morning. So that's good. Hopefully they stick around since some of the "mod jobs" require being online.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm thinking about getting this for PS3 and have a few questions. The main one being what's included in the game. I know you can create your own tracks, cars and characters as well as download what other people have created, but what content is included in the game itself? How many tracks, cars, etc are there by default? I'm buying this for local multiplayer and a looking for an HD substitute for Mario Kart. My main concern is that I buy the game and there are no tracks/cars included and everything has to be created or downloaded.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm thinking about getting this for PS3 and have a few questions. The main one being what's included in the game. I know you can create your own tracks, cars and characters as well as download what other people have created, but what content is included in the game itself? How many tracks, cars, etc are there by default? I'm buying this for local multiplayer and a looking for an HD substitute for Mario Kart. My main concern is that I buy the game and there are no tracks/cars included and everything has to be created or downloaded.

It has a full campaign with around 5 cups, something like 20+ prebuilt courses. Campaign is deep, with special feats required during races to unlock everything, so there's much to do with going back and racing cups again to perfect each race.

It also has full time trial modes with downloadable ghost support, etc. That sort of thing. Local multiplayer works well enough with decent frame rate considering the high quality visuals. It got better after several patches that improved the game's overall performance.

They do want you to create your own custom character for the campaign, but the creation system and such is MUCH better and more fun than the slow, tweaky LittleBigPlanet creation mode. It's not nearly so much of a chore. You can slap characters and cars together fast.

The thing is, it doesn't have different vehicle performance stats. The karts are the same performance wise, just visual styles vary. Most of the depth in racing, single and multi, comes from the deep power up system that is a lot more "pro" than Mario Kart. If you can get into it, it's a surprisingly deep kart racer.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It has a full campaign with around 5 cups, something like 20+ prebuilt courses. Campaign is deep, with special feats required during races to unlock everything, so there's much to do with going back and racing cups again to perfect each race.

It also has full time trial modes with downloadable ghost support, etc. That sort of thing. Local multiplayer works well enough with decent frame rate considering the high quality visuals. It got better after several patches that improved the game's overall performance.

They do want you to create your own custom character for the campaign, but the creation system and such is MUCH better and more fun than the slow, tweaky LittleBigPlanet creation mode. It's not nearly so much of a chore. You can slap characters and cars together fast.

The thing is, it doesn't have different vehicle performance stats. The karts are the same performance wise, just visual styles vary. Most of the depth in racing, single and multi, comes from the deep power up system that is a lot more "pro" than Mario Kart. If you can get into it, it's a surprisingly deep kart racer.

Okay thanks. So just to clarify, there are default tracks I can play with friends the first time I pop the game in?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Okay thanks. So just to clarify, there are default tracks I can play with friends the first time I pop the game in?

Yes. Although running about a half hour's worth of campaign should unlock more. And downloading tracks is where it's at for multiplayer.

Like LBP, the best downloadable tracks are more creative and fun than the built in ones.

But make sure you patch it up in full. It speeds up loading times and a lot of other little things that would annoy you otherwise.

A.R.K

I was thinking about getting this game for my kids (6,8) as they loved playing mario kart on DS together. So compared to that how is this game? Would they like it if they liked MK? From what I have read it looks like a fun game. I would appreciate some feedback who have played both.

PS: Should I go with the digital copy? Do the load times decrease by a lot? I usually prefer a disc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was thinking about getting this game for my kids (6,8) as they loved playing mario kart on DS together. So compared to that how is this game? Would they like it if they liked MK? From what I have read it looks like a fun game. I would appreciate some feedback who have played both.

PS: Should I go with the digital copy? Do the load times decrease by a lot? I usually prefer a disc.

The patches really improved the load times.

As to whether its overall comparable, its hard to say. I think the tracks in MR tend to be more technical and complex than Mario tracks. And the powerup system is a lot deeper. But at the core its just as much fun.

It wont be as recognizable as Mario characters, but its far more customizeable and the track creator is very easy and accessible but with a lot of depth if you want that. In other words, you can just drive around and make the track and autodecorate/populate, or take control of every detail.

And downloadable mods and carts and tracks make it huge. It wont be like MK where after a while you know all the secrets of all the tracks, because with MR you can always download new ones that keep you on your toes.

I think there's a demo they can try out the see how they feel. But I don't think there's a PSN version. I would like one to replace my disc.

btkadams

hey guys, has anyone bought the psn version and compared the loading times to the disc? my copy of modnation was stolen a while ago and i want to rebuy it. i'm unsure of whether i want to buy digital or disc. i'd probably buy the disc copy since it's cheaper but if loading times are at all affected, i'd definitely choose digital.

Top Bottom