• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Molyneux discusses Black & White 2

ziran

Gamespot

there's an article and video.

Gamespot said:
...After all, the upcoming strategy sequel will have an ambitious, even epic, scope...and the studio received mixed reactions about the first Black & White game after so many lofty promises had been made. Designer Peter Molyneux assures us that he's aware of the expectations, and the skepticism, of the audience of game players he must win over (and win back) with the sequel. To that end, Molyneux has enlisted the help of veteran game designer Ron Millar (whose previous credits include some of Blizzard's breakthrough strategy games) to focus on the game's strategic battles while Molyneux focuses on the game's expanded city building...
"if you see it and if you can touch it, you can build it"

i'm looking forward to this game but i've heard it all before from molyneux, so it's wait and see for me.

olimario

Banned
It certainly looks fun enough from the latest videos I saw.
http://www.lionhead.com/bw2/videos/Air.zip
http://www.lionhead.com/bw2/videos/Air.zip

And there is no denying how good it looks.
2724220050718_113336_3_big.jpg
2724220050718_113337_4_big.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
hawt...

the first couple of missions were fun in the first one...if they can make a whole game like that I'm sold

SpokkX

yeah bring it to 360... couldn´t care less about pc games these days.. the pc is a work machine for me

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Up until the war bit, it could have been a preview for the first B&W.

Import your contacts from Outlook you say? Ohoho, how clever..oh wait, you made a big deal out of that last time too.

ziran

i think the game looks stunning! and i imagine an xbox 360 version is very probable.

it's very ambitious.

Prine

Banned
After Fable im interested in all his projects. His games, along with Itagaki games, will get all my support.

B+W 2 looks fantastic, love the art

Drek

MomoPufflet said:
*remembers Fable*

*remembers every game Peter Molyneaux has ever made*

*ignores entire interview*
You are completely ignorant to PC gaming history.

Personally I can't wait for B&W2, the first was a simply ingenious game when played how it was meant to. Really got handicapped by the bad tutorial level and an overly had 4th (or 5th?) level.

snaildog

Is this the game that he was hinting at about a year ago? Saying it was so original that nobody's ever thought of it as being a game or something?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
snaildog said:
Is this the game that he was hinting at about a year ago? Saying it was so original that nobody's ever thought of it as being a game or something?

No, I don't think so. B&W2 has been in the works and publically known for longer than that.

On the Molyneux front, The Movies has me semi-interested. I'm a sucker for "theme/sim" games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MomoPufflet said:
*remembers Fable*

*remembers every game Peter Molyneaux has ever made*

*ignores entire interview*

*Remembers that PM had next to nothing to do with Fable

*Remembers the only bad game he made was B&W

*Remembers Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Populous...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I hope B&W2 rocks just to shut up the ignorant haters who haven't even played classics like Theme Park, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper and Syndicate.

To be honest i think it should be great because B&W was basically Populous 2 without the ability to turn your villagers into soldiers and with a virtual pet instead of the heroes, and populous - war = boring. B&W2 puts the war back in (with some epic scope).

Wraith

Schafer said:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but will we ever see another Dungeon Keeper? I loved those games.

I'll get this...if there's way less micromanagement. Having to train my creature for hours on end just to teach him simple things was a pain in the ass. Trying to train my creature for hours on end while my villagers forgot how to keep themselves alive was an ass in the pain in the ass.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Schafer said:

Uh, saying PM had nothing to do with Fable I think would be incorrect. It's his sattelite studio and I know for a fact he had some involvement of some sort with the game.

When was the last time Molyneux actuallly delivered on a game? I'm not trying to troll but it seems like all his recent projects (Fable, Black and White) have been trumpeted during development with all kinds of hype and then the ensuing product ends up being a big disappointment. What exactly is his recent track record? Most developers have a golden age when everything they do is really good (Richard Garriott, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Shigeru Miyamoto among others) and then after they hit their peak it's nothing but mediocrity from then on. I wonder if the same happened to Molyneux.

Mupepe

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
When was the last time Molyneux actuallly delivered on a game? I'm not trying to troll but it seems like all his recent projects (Fable, Black and White) have been trumpeted during development with all kinds of hype and then the ensuing product ends up being a big disappointment. What exactly is his recent track record? Most developers have a golden age when everything they do is really good (Richard Garriott, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Shigeru Miyamoto among others) and then after they hit their peak it's nothing but mediocrity from then on. I wonder if the same happened to Molyneux.
Well, all his games, even the recent ones have been good games. The only problem is, the man spouts his ambitions as "we're definitely going to do this" instead of "we hope to achieve." I never bought into all the Fable hype, so when I got it, it was still fantastic for me. But B&W was hyped to all hell as being the this ultimate game. Kind of like how Fable was hyped as the greatest rpg ever by PM. I don't think his stuff is mediocre, he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut during production.

Drek

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but will we ever see another Dungeon Keeper? I loved those games.
EA owns the license, same with Populous, I doubt they'll ever make any more of either.

When was the last time Molyneux actuallly delivered on a game?
The second Dungeon Keeper was widely appreciated, so thats probably what you'd take as the last game he delivered on. At that time Molyneux was basically the man with a golden touch when it came to strategy/sim games breaking the mold.

In my opinion I think Black and White was a great game handicapped by a horrible tutorial. It left you with the impression that you were capable of doing all this stuff for your people, so like in any normal RTS you did just that. It really wasn't though, you were supposed to teach your villagers to take care of themselves and then have a lot of free time to work directly with your creature teaching him as well.

Basically, on the surface it looked like a normal RTS but one in which you only got one attacking unit. Since great AI isn't an obvious feature most people missed out on how good B&W's actually was (i.e. the best ever in any game, and thats a flat out fact). Instead most players would sit and micromanage every villager, making the game a chore to play.

Hopefully B&W2 doesn't loose that same great AI that really brings the townspeople and creature to life. The refinements I'd like to see would be a better tutorial, to save it from the bashers who didn't spend enough time playing the game to actually play it right, and to be set in a single large world instead of multiple small ones. That way you enjoy teaching your villagers how to take care of things on their own instead of having to repeat the process with the start of each new world (though if you carried villagers over it was typically pretty quick and easy after a few worlds).

Fowler

Y'know, I hate Molyneux as much as anyone for never delivering on his ridiculous promises... but I do rather miss hearing those ridiculous ambitions. For all the wildly implausible stuff he thinks up, he can have some really cool ideas. Unworkable (FABLE REALTIME AGING WORLD OMFG) but cool.

Top Bottom