• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight |OT| Turning Over a New Leaf

Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvZhXtu5Wc

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight explores a cursed land in decline. Evil spreads, the dead rise, and corruption reigns. Hope is but a faded memory for all but one, a priestess named Kaho from the village of Lun. An audience with her majesty, the queen, would surely save the land--but time is short and each night darker than the last.

"Reverie Under the Moonlight is the fourth entry in the Momodora series, a side-scrolling platformer focused on action gameplay, with melee combos, dodge mechanics and a plethora of items and spells to unleash upon your enemies. Play casually for the rich setting and mysterious story or crank up the difficulty to run your reflexes through a truly brutal gauntlet."

That's the description from the developers and from having played the last game and by all accounts this one seems bigger and better I'd have to say that sounds like a proper description.

Features from the Steam page:
"Beautifully animated graphics
Exciting action gameplay - combo, dodge and skewer enemies with arrows
Intense boss battles with challenging patterns and epic scale
Difficulty settings appropriate for all, from story and setting lovers to hardcore action enthusiasts
A breadth of items that can be combined to create new strategies
A widely varied world to explore, filled with secrets and treasures
Eccentric allies and foes with compelling personalities
Mysterious lore and rich backstory in events, dialog and item descriptions"

I played through the third game towards the end of last year and thought it was a great, short game. It's fairly comparable to something like Cave Story but melee-focused and shorter on your first time through. It took me a bit over an hour to go through it but I definitely didn't uncover a bunch of the secrets and optional stuff. I think there's even a better ending? Suffice it to say there's more to it than a simple one-hour romp if you care about digging for secrets and such.

After going through Momodora III I was curious to see what those folks were up to and I found they were well into Momodora IV and had a Patreon. I signed up just to chip in $5/month since I wanted to see them get it made. Which is why I got the e-mail alerting me of the release date announcement. And here we are. I don't have a hand in this. I don't know anyone on the team or have any part of the creation. They're a small group that made a fun game (and I think the first two games in the series are free on their site) and I'm hoping to get them a bit of attention to spread the fun.

It's $10 with a 10% discount for the first week.

Impressions from a GAFfer:
It's VERY 'Vania.

I've played for just over an hour and I have like nine different places I can go and five different places I can't go because the door opens from the other side or is locked with a key or mechanism I haven't found yet. There's a map screen and it looks quite a lot like the Symphony Of The Night one, stylewise.

There's also money and items you can buy or find, like one that lowers your chance to get inflicted with status ailments, and your typical Raise Max HP stat upgrades, which tend to be behind punchable walls. I haven't discovered meat inside walls yet, but here's hoping.

There's also a Dark Soulsy influence with the save points, which not only replenish your health, but also max out your healing items, initially to three but later to more as you get upgrades. Also, there's a greyed out Warp option so I guess there will be a teleport between save points functionality later.

Standard enemies are more brutal than bosses on average, but there's a fair few feisty bosses too in all shapes and sizes.

Beginner tip: Try not to fight everyone right at the beginning, the shield peoples in particular are brutal and will own you with their sick moves. Just jump and/or roll past them because you are puny at the start. I feel like I was bashing my head against a wall for the first ten minutes but once I overcame the hurdle of my OCD telling me to kill everything, progress came swiftly in all directions.

And here's a giveaway for a few copies of Momodora III because it's short enough that you'll play through it and want more and then I'll leave it to all of you to get your own copies of the new game!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185962.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Wibblewozzer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Momodora III #3 -- MB-0166EFBD123650C9 - Taken by Miff. 19 entrants total.
Momodora III #2 -- MB-D6B0801779D66C95 - Taken by KimChi. 20 entrants total.
Momodora III -- MB-A17EFE80E5502D54 - Taken by Tremis. 14 entrants total.

t1457250678z1.png

A thread Speevy made back in 2014 that got practically zero attention for Momodora III (four replies) - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959392
Steam page for Momodora III - http://store.steampowered.com/app/302790/

And now I've finally made my first thread on here after years of being a member. Hurrah.

Edit: Updated with price.

Can't wait to pick this up, enjoyed my time with III a lot, replayability is a must. :p

Momodora III unfortunately fell into my recent period where I told myself I wanted to at least start and try every single Steam game I owned. Generally I'd spend 10-30 minutes on a game but since it was short enough I just kept playing and beat it. At the same time once I beat it I had the urge to just move on to the next unplayed game and perhaps come back to it to get the true ending or whatever came with the hidden boss.

I did come across a couple secrets on my own which made me feel cool.

I'm obviously pretty pumped about this next one.

I ended up buying the previous game based on your thread. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hopefully you don't feel I lead you astray. That's one reason I linked the previous thread to show others have enjoyed them as well.

Should I play 1 and 2 as well? These look like really fun short games.

I honestly never tried them out. The first game is noted as being more arcade like so I think it's more just linear and reaching the end of a level while the second game started their more non-linear exploration style layout.

Their both available for free at their site: http://www.bombservice.com/games.html

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We're super excited to be working with Bomb Service on Momodora 4. The new one is a huge upgrade from the first 3 in every regard. It's also going to be a bit longer than past games.

thebatdan

We're super excited to be working with Bomb Service on Momodora 4. The new one is a huge upgrade from the first 3 in every regard. It's also going to be a bit longer than past games.

Yeah seriously! Bringing Momodora RUtM to both Japan and Steam has been just amazing. rdein has been awesome and I love the game so freaking much.

I turned up the difficulty to hard on my second playthrough and I'm having a blast getting rekt ^ ^ Ya'll are gonna love this game.

Yeah seriously! Bringing Momodora RUtM to both Japan and Steam has been just amazing. rdein has been awesome and I love the game so freaking much.

I turned up the difficulty to hard on my second playthrough and I'm having a blast getting rekt ^ ^ Ya'll are gonna love this game.

Is it alright for you to say how long it took you to go through your first time through? I'll be getting the game regardless but I'm sort of hoping they go the short route again but with hidden stuff and extra challenges (optional content) again since it's nice knowing I can spend a short amount of time to get through a game but there's more stuff to do beyond just getting to the end once.

Didn't realize this would be a bat signal for the Playism folks, heh.

For anyone curious it appears the game will be $10 on Steam (that's the price on the Playism site) so just be ready for that when it comes around.

thebatdan

Is it alright for you to say how long it took you to go through your first time through? I'll be getting the game regardless but I'm sort of hoping they go the short route again but with hidden stuff and extra challenges (optional content) again since it's nice knowing I can spend a short amount of time to get through a game but there's more stuff to do beyond just getting to the end once.

Didn't realize this would be a bat signal for the Playism folks, heh.

For anyone curious it appears the game will be $10 on Steam (that's the price on the Playism site) so just be ready for that when it comes around.

Yeah np! It took me 4 hours to play through the first time. NG+ is a thing and in the second playthrough "things are different." There are some subplots/puzzles I haven't figured out myself yet too.

I haven't tried insane difficulty, but hard is legit.

Yeah np! It took me 4 hours to play through the first time. NG+ is a thing and in the second playthrough "things are different." There are some subplots/puzzles I haven't figured out myself yet too.

I haven't tried insane difficulty, but hard is legit.
Sounds good to me. That's actually a bit longer than I expected but still short enough that another time through for extra stuff won't be a significant amount of time.

Thanks for the reply.

Haroon

In case people who are playing this did not know. You can get a hidden item by jumping on the invisible platforms:
bTl7zRV.png

I thought it was pretty easy honestly, compared to similar games like Cave Story.

Agreed, I didn't think it was all that bad on the difficulty. I did play as a bit of a glass cannon which made the last boss a little frantic and did get a couple deaths but I got through most of it with minimal issues.

And the hidden block that Atsuo is showing in the picture is when I realized it's really worth toying around to find things. I stumbled on that accidentally and remember just pausing for a second and thinking, "Huh, it's going to be like this?"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd never heard of these games, but I'll give this one a try. That trailer is pretty great.

Glad you enjoyed the trailer. Bombservice did a fantastic job with it. :D

Since the publishers are poking around here is there any chance there's going to be a sale on Momodora III leading up to the new release to get more people into it? Though perhaps you folks wouldn't have anything to do with the last game and only are involved with things on the new one.

Along the same topic is there going to be a Humble Store release for the new game? And any expected discount like 10% for the first week or anything? It's low priced so it won't stop me from buying but just figured I'd plan accordingly.

Just realized how many Playism games I own (and have on my wishlist) on Steam. Keep doing what you're doing!

kagamin

Played about an hour so far, made it to the second boss, I'm trying to learn how to use my i-frames on the dodge effectively.

Aaaaand it's out, get playing, I've already started. :p

Thanks for bumping this up! I was planning on doing so but you got it first while I was asleep.

Now purchased and installed. About to shower and then leave for work so I'll play it tonight. Love to hear some impressions from folks in the mean time for when I check the thread on breaks at work.

DrArchon

Ooh, hadn't noticed this. Trailer gave a really good impression. Cute artstyle!

Don't have the time for it now, but I'll definitely add it to the wishlist.

Dineren

Banned
I enjoyed the first three games, but they've all been pretty easy and short, even on hard. How has the difficulty been in the early builds? I've been contributing to the patreon, but never bothered to try it out. Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing through this soon.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Huh. Looks pretty interesting. Never heard of the series though. Is it pretty linear, or more Metroidvania?

Tunahead

Huh. Looks pretty interesting. Never heard of the series though. Is it pretty linear, or more Metroidvania?

It's VERY 'Vania.

I've played for just over an hour and I have like nine different places I can go and five different places I can't go because the door opens from the other side or is locked with a key or mechanism I haven't found yet. There's a map screen and it looks quite a lot like the Symphony Of The Night one, stylewise.

There's also money and items you can buy or find, like one that lowers your chance to get inflicted with status ailments, and your typical Raise Max HP stat upgrades, which tend to be behind punchable walls. I haven't discovered meat inside walls yet, but here's hoping.

There's also a Dark Soulsy influence with the save points, which not only replenish your health, but also max out your healing items, initially to three but later to more as you get upgrades. Also, there's a greyed out Warp option so I guess there will be a teleport between save points functionality later.

Standard enemies are more brutal than bosses on average, but there's a fair few feisty bosses too in all shapes and sizes.

Beginner tip: Try not to fight everyone right at the beginning, the shield peoples in particular are brutal and will own you with their sick moves. Just jump and/or roll past them because you are puny at the start. I feel like I was bashing my head against a wall for the first ten minutes but once I overcame the hurdle of my OCD telling me to kill everything, progress came swiftly in all directions.

Tunahead

Yeah you do have to equip all them items before they do anything, even the passive effect ones.

Though I guess the real trouble with healing items is figuring out that they work like Estus Flasks do in Dark Souls, because the game doesn't tell you. It's just like "Here's three potions! As far as you know, you ain't never getting them back when they're gone!"

kagamin

Being able to
turn into a cat
just opened up so many traversal options and made fast exploration more viable. :p

How does this have such few replies?

I'll be picking this up this weekend. Love these games.
Maybe I should have pursued making a proper OT to catch more eyes? I suppose I could fill out the opening post a little more and get a subtitle that'll attract attention to ask the mods to edit in?

I can't wait to dig in but I'm still about ninety minutes from getting home from work. But reading people talking about it is getting me pumped to start it up.

Maybe I should have pursued making a proper OT to catch more eyes? I suppose I could fill out the opening post a little more and get a subtitle that'll attract attention to ask the mods to edit in?

I can't wait to dig in but I'm still about ninety minutes from getting home from work. But reading people talking about it is getting me pumped to start it up.

Momodora IOTI FREE BEER AND MEMES INSIDE

I'm about to boot this up, yay!

kagamin

That sounds like a great idea!

Personally, I haven't played any of the other games so I figure I should try those first.

This game is a prequel, and the first two games are free. ;)

Momodora IOTI FREE BEER AND MEMES INSIDE

I'm about to boot this up, yay!

That sounds like a great idea!

This game is a prequel, and the first two games are free. ;)
I'll do it when I get home in a bit. And maybe add a Modbot raffle for copies of Momodora III to get people hooked on that and then they can get their own copies of this new one?

I'm up for OT name suggestions or I'll be forced to use Ivan Amiibo's.

And is that okay to make this an OT or do mods prefer a new OT thread be made completely? I'm not sure if there's rules on that sort of thing.

thetrin

I'm so excited that you're all playing this. We've been working hard with Bombservice to get the game out. So glad to hear everyone is enjoying it!

Top Bottom