• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight |OT| Turning Over a New Leaf

Drain You

I really really hate bumping an old thread... (Not that old)

First off this game is amazing. I've been playing it on an off this past week, but as I've gotten farther I'm really loving it. Level design is interesting and sometimes frustrating with back tracking.

Reason Im bumping this is I think Im at the end and need some help, map is 92% complete and I'm pretty sure I just have to find the final area. Any help?

Beckx

one of the things you can do is scan your map for places where you do not have have a white border, that will usually indicate an area you haven't seen.

a few usual suspects (sorry, vague is the best i can do right now, but the full spoiled map is here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642031075):

• you know the area with the witch lady and her cat on the far right? in that general area (a few rooms to the left) there is an area above that can be tricky to reach.
  • the secret boss area that you need the bloodstained tissue to reach
  • the credits room counts, I believe
  • if you back to the forest area from the start of the game there are a few areas (one decent sized) you should now be able to explore with your powers.

This game needs far more attention! Finally got a round to sinking some time into it. Beautiful pixel art and animation, haunting atmosphere, a curious, peculiar world, polished/tight gameplay... It's a real pleasure playing Momodora.

Game is difficult, but in all the right ways.

Anyone who enjoys metroidvanias or 2D action games should take a look.

Fireblend

Banned
The developer has confirmed the game will not come to Switch but is considering support:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/27257...nging-momodora-to-switch-but-wants-to-offer-f

If given the choice I'd totally buy it for Switch, but whatever, I'll settle for a PS4 version. I've been dying to play this game but I'm sure if I don't time my purchase well it's gonna end up unplayed in my Steam library... I'm way more likely to play and finish console purchases for some reason :p

I read somewhere they are working on 5 using Unity, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I'm curious where that came from. They still have their Patreon on hold which they did so a month or two after Reverie Under the Moonlight since they didn't want to collect money from folks while they weren't into the next game's development. I would think they'd start that back up once they got going into the fifth game but perhaps they're waiting until they do an official announcement? Or perhaps this game made enough that they're not using Patreon to help get some extra money to go towards development?

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to whenever we hear about their next project. I know I'll be buying it.

Dascu

I read somewhere they are working on 5 using Unity, but I don't know how accurate that is.

The main developer (rdein) is posting a lot on twitter and he is indeed doing work in Unity with 3D assets, doing shader tests and what-not. Not sure if that's necessarily Momodora 5 (but logically it probably is).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yay! It showed up in my store (EU). I'm still way to busy with Horizon (this game), but I'll download Momodora soon to give it a whirl. Hollow Knight aint out for Mac yet anyway, so I'm thirsty for a Metroidvania experience.

Oneself

Bought it yesterday (PS4, NA store), played a bit, got my ass kicked. It was freaking awesome. It's veeeery SOTN-like and it looks gorgeous. So far, it's shaping up to be my favorite SOTN-inspired game, it's just fantastic!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Wow. After reading basically nothing but love for Momodora IV from PC-GAF and having it peripherally on my radar, I saw it unexpectedly pop up on Japanese PSN today, full Japanese localization, and threw down ¥980 on a hunch.

This game is freaking great. This game deserves to be played. In a world saturated to bursting with 2D Metroidvanias, it manages to stand out. If you like that genre, you will absolutely like this game. It is worth your equivalent of $9.99 USD.

I'm sad it has absolutely zero promotion on PSN in any territory. I checked them all. You wouldn't even know it was released unless you check "All Games," which I learned to do long ago to find the hidden good stuff like this.

In the name of quality gaming, I bump this thread.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
This looks cool.

May partake once it hits PS4.

It should be on PSN now in all territories. You may have to search for it, though.

I'm getting it on steam in future.

How's the story?

It's a compelling enough reason to keep playing. It suggests much more than it tells, with the whole "lore" thing embedded in item descriptions and environments and whatnot. This aspect plus the relatively high difficulty for this genre and replenishing health items at save points places it squarely in a post-Dark Souls world.

Very interesting little game.

Here's a PS4 review of Momodora if anyone is interested;

Crash Landed - 4/5

In a sea of retro-inspired titles, much like Shovel Knight before it, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight stands out amongst the fray and becomes the perfect game for fans of the Castlevania or Mega Man series’ of old. And I hope it doesn’t get passed up by fans and critics alike.

But beyond its quality retro surface offerings, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight manages to inject a few new ideas into the mix too, creating a formula that's both nostalgic yet fresh and most of all fun. And whilst its length may be a problem for gamers seeking a far more meaty retro experience, it truly doesn’t outstay its welcome and offers replay value for gamers who choose to unlock all of its hidden caveats.

Quonny

Bought and played an hour or so. Hard mode.

Holy crap is this hard. Killed two bosses both on the first try but the enemies are insane.

E-flux

Bought and played an hour or so. Hard mode.

Holy crap is this hard. Killed two bosses both on the first try but the enemies are insane.

I think that playing on Hard is the way to with this one, the challenge was pretty fair. As soon as you get through the forest it becomes a lot more manageable.

Theswweet

Got it on Xbone on a whim the other day, since I had some money in my XBL wallet left over from when I used a bunch of Bing Rewards points on credit, mistakenly thinking I could pay for Live with it. Bastards!

Anyway, I just beat it today. Nice, quick experience. I'll probably come back to replay it - maybe if it gets ported to Vita, like that UK rating suggest? I'd definitely double-dip for it there.

Grabbed the game for xbone, really enjoying it thus far. My only grip is that the game doesn't pause when checking the map, I keep forgetting and getting hit because of that.

Fou-Lu

I finally got around to playing this on Steam. Started this morning and just completed it, got all health upgrades, all ivory bugs and the weapon upgrade, only got 99% of the map somehow.

Setting and atmosphere are on point, music is great and it's just fun to play. Definitely one of the better Metroidvanias I have played. What is this game's relation to the first three?

Puruzi

Banned
I finally got around to playing this on Steam. Started this morning and just completed it, got all health upgrades, all ivory bugs and the weapon upgrade, only got 99% of the map somehow.

Setting and atmosphere are on point, music is great and it's just fun to play. Definitely one of the better Metroidvanias I have played. What is this game's relation to the first three?
Prequel

Kalnoky

Picked it up on Xbone today after seeing it while browsing the new releases in the store and remembering some of the high praise the PC release got, and man, this game is good. Played for about an hour and a half and just beat the
sword priest boss lady in the cathedral
. Definitely challenging, but nothing has felt unfair so far.

Anyway, yeah, game is great just like everyone else has said. Metroidvania with some sort of Souls-esque systems and punishing combat. It's good. Highly recommend.

I'm playing this on my PS4 right now. When I first started, I tried to play on Hard. It did not go well. Setting back to Normal has still been extremely challenging, especially bosses, but progress is steady.

I really love it. The combat feels really tremendous. It is extremely satisfying to make contact with enemies in a way that Metroidvanias with blaster combat lack. Momodora will definitely be my new standard for 2D combat systems. If it doesn't feel like Momodora IV, it's probably not what I want.

The only thing that bums me out is knowing I will never get the platinum trophy. I will never be good enough at this game to clear it on an difficulty that necessitates perfect completion. I die very frequently and take a lot of damage in combat. Insane is never going to happen.

It will make me sad forever because I always try to get all the trophies for games or this style and size. But I'm not as good as I used to be at extremely difficult games and no-damage perfect runs are no longer part of my skill set.

I wish I was good enough for you, Momodora.

Started this today. It's really fun, but hard difficulty does NOT play around. I just beat titty witch
a second time and unlocked the ability to transform into a cat.
I'm pretty sure I did things out of order. Not sure whether to go back on what I presume is the intended path (to the monastery) or to fuck around some more with my new power

I'm playing this on my PS4 right now. When I first started, I tried to play on Hard. It did not go well. Setting back to Normal has still been extremely challenging, especially bosses, but progress is steady.

I really love it. The combat feels really tremendous. It is extremely satisfying to make contact with enemies in a way that Metroidvanias with blaster combat lack. Momodora will definitely be my new standard for 2D combat systems. If it doesn't feel like Momodora IV, it's probably not what I want.

The only thing that bums me out is knowing I will never get the platinum trophy. I will never be good enough at this game to clear it on an difficulty that necessitates perfect completion. I die very frequently and take a lot of damage in combat. Insane is never going to happen.

It will make me sad forever because I always try to get all the trophies for games or this style and size. But I'm not as good as I used to be at extremely difficult games and no-damage perfect runs are no longer part of my skill set.

I wish I was good enough for you, Momodora.
The hardest difficulty actually looks more intimidating than it really is, once you understand how the enemies work. None of them behave differently or move faster compared to prior difficulties nor do I think they were even given much of a health boost, and it's surprising how much power you receive (quickly at that!) from the 'no-damage bosses' items, be it for melee or both kinds of ranged attacks. Said items make short work of the bosses, which I'd say are somewhat the only challenge hurdle to overcome after acquiring general pattern information.

Didn't have high hopes for it myself initially, so give it a try.

The hardest difficulty actually looks more intimidating than it really is, once you understand how the enemies work. None of them behave differently or move faster compared to prior difficulties nor do I think they were even given much of a health boost, and it's surprising how much power you receive (quickly at that!) from the 'no-damage bosses' items, be it for melee or both kinds of ranged attacks. Said items make short work of the bosses, which I'd say are somewhat the only challenge hurdle to overcome after acquiring general pattern information.

Oh shit, I think I got one of those without even knowing they were a thing. After the second boss, I got an OP item I can use twice that rains down a bunch of projectiles for massive damage. Is this one of those?

This was great. I was lttp and have only played III prior.

Was hoping for a refinement of this 2D model, but I have hopes for the 3D sequel.

Oh shit, I think I got one of those without even knowing they were a thing. After the second boss, I got an OP item I can use twice that rains down a bunch of projectiles for massive damage. Is this one of those?

yes

Question: Does New Game+ advance you to Hard difficulty? Can I clear NG+ to unlock Insane?

Another question: Does anyone know of a good guide for the shortest path to complete a game on Insane? I know the game can be completed very quickly and that would be in my express interest.

Just started playing this recently. WOW! how did this get so little press? it's fantastic. I've been playing on hard and the game is tough but fair. The boss fights are a bit easy, but not in a bad way, more like they can be mastered such that you don't get hit. The art is nice and the story, while seemingly a bit Souls-derivative is a nice mix of forlorn, mysterious and heroic.

So far I have 2 crest pieces and I can't wait to go home and play some more.

Definitely in the running for my (belated) indie game of the year.

Top Bottom