• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Ball DX or SMB 1 and 2?

D-X

Does Monkey Ball DX (Xbox) do a good enough job to warrent a purchase instead of SMB 1 and 2 on GC? I've heard the controls are crap on the PS2 but whats the verdict on the Xbox version?

joshschw

on the Xbox version the controls aren't THAT bad, but the game benefits from those grooves on the analog greatly.

joshschw said:
on the Xbox version the controls aren't THAT bad, but the game benefits from those grooves on the analog greatly.

Also, in general much better tuned controls (smaller deadzone mainly - superaccurate control only AV can do :-D )

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SMB1's 1-player game is basically flawless.

Get SMB1 for that, and SMB2 for the multiplayer games. It's also nice to have both versions of Monkey Target. As well as the benefits of the GC's pad which people have already said.

BTW, have many people here completed the game? I mean the Expert Extra levels and Master mode...everything? I couldn't even manage to get to the Expert Extra levels.

Dalthien

Flachmatuch said:
BTW, have many people here completed the game? I mean the Expert Extra levels and Master mode...everything? I couldn't even manage to get to the Expert Extra levels.
Yeah - I completed both of them. The second game wasn't actually that difficult because once you racked up 99 continues, you could basically just keep trying each level until you finally got it. And bananas were absolutely useless in this game - unless you were trying for points for some reason. But some of the levels were fun the first time through, because it was kind of cool figuring out the puzzles to some of the levels. The Gamecube level (final level) was by far the most difficult, but some practice and patience will get you through it. This was a really well-designed level, and made going through the game worth it to me.

The first game was one hell of a challenge. A good old-fashioned old-school type of challenge, but a completely fair challenge. If you have the skills, you will make it through. Just getting to the Master levels was a bitch. You really have to master your technique and precision-control to have any hope. And you really need to maximize your bananas as well, because those few extra lives that you pick up during the Extra levels are essential. At least they were for me.

The Master levels in the first game are also a bitch - but you can keep continuing forever once you get to the Master levels - as long as you don't turn the Gamecube off until you get through them all. Master Level 3 and 9 both kicked my ass repeatedly. After several hours on each level I finally broke through the damn ribbon! I couldn't imagine trying to get through this game (Expert or Master) levels with the Xbox or PS2 controls. I sure as hell wouldn't want to try!

Anyway - awesome challenge, and awesome game. But practise, practise, practise if you ever want to reach the Master levels in the first game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have got Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 for GameCube and SMB DX for Xbox and played through all of these. For some reason they made the controls in SMB DX horribly worse. If you want to get through Master 19 (it's Master 9 in SMB1) prepare for hours of training. The controls are fucked up, as you can't move the Monkey very slowely anymore, When the game finally realizes, you are pushing the analog stick into one direction, the monkey really speeds up. This is horrible in the later levels. Even worse is the PlayStation 2 version. The analog stick is much worse, in quality and position, the game is constantly slowing down and loading is getting on your nerves. I'd allways prefer SMB1&2 over DX.

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshi said:
I have got Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 for GameCube and SMB DX for Xbox and played through all of these. For some reason they made the controls in SMB DX horribly worse. If you want to get through Master 19 (it's Master 9 in SMB1) prepare for hours of training. The controls are fucked up, as you can't move the Monkey very slowely anymore, When the game finally realizes, you are pushing the analog stick into one direction, the monkey really speeds up. This is horrible in the later levels. Even worse is the PlayStation 2 version. The analog stick is much worse, in quality and position, the game is constantly slowing down and loading is getting on your nerves. I'd allways prefer SMB1&2 over DX.

Yeah, I made the mistake of picking up the Xbox version for those 50 extra levels. After an hour of playing it on the Xbox control I said "screw it" and just went back to playing SMB1/2 on GC when I want my rolling fix. The dead zone on the controller is horrible for the game :(

It's not the controllers that are at fault for Monkey Ball DX sucking--or not entirely. I tried so many controllers with that game, and they all sucked. I even tried a controller that has calibration, through a converter, and there's just no way around the fact that there's pretty much no deadzone and very little degree of analog control in that game.

Basically, avoid DX like the plague if you intend to attempt Expert. You don't NEED great analog precision prior to the expert levels (but it helps).

Oh, and Fry's and Toys R Us both had the Gamecube 1&2 double pack the last time I was there.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You are right, I didn't want to say anything else, but on top of that the PlayStation 2's controll sticks are worse in any way than GameCube's for this game. I played through the whole game with Xbox 360's controller and this is a great controller ;).

Top Bottom