• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey Paw: Do we REALLY-REALLY want a new F-ZERO?

TheMoon

As someone that's only played Blue Storm, I am genuinely interested. Could you describe the difference of experience further?

Weight. The way you bounced around on/in that water is something else.

Well, you were wrong.

I love doing this dance because no matter how big the majority of "boo this sucks!" people (most of whom haven't actually played this seriously) is that can't handle swapping their attention between two screens when needed doesn't somehow mean that this game is bad.

actually it's the third time

You mean Star Fox and 64 are the same or are you including 64 3D?

nkarafo

I feel like they are going to ruin it.

I didn't even like GX that much either. Everyone was blinded by it's fancy technical achievements and graphics but didn't notice the inferior controls, unbalanced difficulty and awful music compared to F-Zero-X (the later is just my opinion).

Yes, because even if it's bad, I can still play F-Zero GX again. So it's not like we would lose anything from it.

Bring it on. With the most metal soundtrack you can find.

This isn't the issue. There's a triple issue: First one being a bad game will likely lead to bad sales and kill said IP. Second one being opportunity cost, that developpement team and money could've been used for a better game. Third one being the annoyance of getting a monkey paw.

It would be nice to have one, but I think there's nobody who can get what F-Zero GX did right.

Miyamoto would screw it up with some daft gimmick as he always does nowadays, time. There's indie devs making games like Redout and FAST Racing Neo which both claim to be inspired by F-Zero but they play more like Wipeout.

I personally cannot trust anyone to get it right nowadays, so it's probably not worth making a new one.

Also *ahem*, GX > X.

LordKano

This isn't the issue. There's a triple issue: First one being a bad game will likely lead to bad sales and kill said IP. Second one being opportunity cost, that developpement team and money could've been used for a better game. Third one being the annoyance of getting a monkey paw.

The IP is already dead and isn't likely to make any money, we're discussing the possibility of making a new entry in a dead serie, implying that Nintendo would do so even though it's not something that could make money. F-Zero GX already killed the IP, despite being the best F-Zero game.

And well, the monkey paw isn't something unlikely from Nintendo. Star Fox had four new games post-64 and every one of them was bad or decent at the very best.

Jobbs

Banned
Miyamoto needs to retire. God forbid he came up with a new direction for F-Zero.

Not having a new direction also never stopped them from making the same Smash and Kart games over and over

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I do but it's obvious that not enough people think like me. The truth behind Miyamoto's words is that the franchise is just not financially viable.

At the very least I would like GX on Virtual Console

nkarafo

Also *ahem*, GX > X.
They removed the double bumper attack left or right with the shoulder buttons and replaced it with a single attack button, awkwardly placed, that makes attacking unsatisfying. It's almost as if it was an afterthought, because they had to have an attack move and couldn't remove it completely.

This attack was also used on the N64 version to take sharp corners by "jumping" very fast if you timed it right and it felt awesome with the shoulder buttons, it's not as good or useful in GX.

The difficulty is just ridiculous, at least on story mode. In some occasions victory is more a matter of luck or a case of "huh, i have no idea how i did it right this time, i'll save now because i won't do it again". Like that stupid tunnel mission.

Despite this, you can easily win the championship mode using the snaking exploit. X may also have it's own exploits but as far as i know, they are harder to pull off.

The music is a matter of taste, sure, but i can't stand the overly distorted guitar parts for more than 1 minute.

Honestly, there's nothing in GX that i like more than X, except for the fancy graphics and visual effects.

So these are my arguments. It's better than posting something like "ahem X > GX".

LordKano

Miyamoto needs to retire. God forbid he came up with a new direction for F-Zero.

Not having a new direction also never stopped them from making the same Smash and Kart games over and over

Maybe that has something to do with the same direction working well for Smash/Mario Kart while keeping the same direction leaded up to the death of the F-Zero IP ?

-shadow-

Yes I do and Miyamoto his reasoning for not greenlighting a new one is outright ridiculous. The game doesn't need a new twist, the last one is more then ten years ago! We can get two New Super Mario games in a time span of seven months however for some explicit ridiculous reason.

LeleSocho

Banned
They removed the double bumper attack left or right with the shoulder buttons and replaced it with a single attack button, awkwardly placed, that makes attacking unsatisfying. It's almost as if it was an afterthought, because they had to have an attack move and couldn't remove it completely.

This attack was also used on the N64 version to take sharp corners by "jumping" very fast if you timed it right and it felt awesome with the shoulder buttons, it's not as good or useful in GX.

The difficulty is just ridiculous, at least on story mode. In some occasions victory is more a matter of luck or a case of "huh, i have no idea how i did it right this time, i'll save now because i won't do it again". Like that stupid tunnel mission.

Despite this, you can easily win the championship mode using the snaking exploit. X may also have it's own exploits but as far as i know, they are harder to pull off.

The music is a matter of taste, sure, but i can't stand the overly distorted guitar parts for more than 1 minute.

Honestly, there's nothing in GX that i like more than X, except for the fancy graphics and visual effects.

So these are my arguments. It's better than posting something like "ahem X > GX".

You actually have two attacks on GX one more precise which is used by the X button and the other is more about zoning with the Z button and they are both useful also in driving in different situations, Using Z while using both trigger button helps making sharper curves while X attack is essential when doing lateral shifts that some tracks have or to avoid obstacles.
The difficulty is a non-factor on Easy it's rightly challenging on Normal and it gets hard on Hard and so on, one of the few games that takes the namesake of its modes seriously.

Seems like you haven't played enough GX?

The IP is already dead and isn't likely to make any money, we're discussing the possibility of making a new entry in a dead serie, implying that Nintendo would do so even though it's not something that could make money. F-Zero GX already killed the IP, despite being the best F-Zero game.

And well, the monkey paw isn't something unlikely from Nintendo. Star Fox had four new games post-64 and every one of them was bad or decent at the very best.

You're acting as if Nintendo made sense or took decisions purely based on revenue. I suspect Nintendo just isnt interested. The IP being dead is arguable. GX didn't bombed to the point it killed the IP. It was also more than 10 years ago.
As for Star Fox, no, not everyone "one of them was bad or decent at the very best". Star Fox Adventure has a nice following and had good reviews. Star Fox Command was a handheld iteration, which also had fine reviews and was still decent. Star Fox Assault was the bad one and even then, this was arguable on some points, nothing to put the serie to bed since it was released on GC's late life and it was developped by Bamco.
Star Fox 64 3D also had nice reviews and was a faithful remake with great visuals using 3DS' strengths.

Star Fox Zero though ? It had a lot of exposure as Miyamoto's project and it failed hard, both commercially and critically.

LordKano

You're acting as if Nintendo made sense or took decisions purely based on revenue. I suspect Nintendo just isnt interested. The IP being dead is arguable. GX didn't bombed to the point it killed the IP. It was also more than 10 years ago.
As for Star Fox, no, not everyone "one of them was bad or decent at the very best". Star Fox Adventure has a nice following and had good reviews. Star Fox Command was a handheld iteration, which also had fine reviews and was still decent. Star Fox Assault was the bad one and even then, this was arguable on some points, nothing to put the serie to bed since it was released on GC's late life and it was developped by Bamco.
Star Fox 64 3D also had nice reviews and was a faithful remake with great visuals using 3DS' strengths.

Star Fox Zero though ? It had a lot of exposure as Miyamoto's project and it failed hard, both commercially and critically.

Star Fox Assault and Command are at least as bad as Zero. Adventures is a different case, as it's not a proper Starfox game. Critics were more reliant on Assault/Adventures because they were released on Gamecube, more than ten/fifteen years ago, a time when critics were...not really professional, to say the least. It's not comparable with today.
And Commands just got a pass because it's a handled game, even though it's as trash as the others.

Most of the Starfox games are bad, and get a pass because of the nostalgia, while the only two worthwile game in the entire serie are the two first. And well, the two first games are the only one that didn't fail commercially.

I don't see how you could argue that F-Zero isn't dead though. The first one sold about three millions (which is a good score), and was the best-selling game for the IP. It only went down after this, with F-Zero X barely selling over a million, and Maximum Velocity being about the same. Then, GX came, with a significantly bigger budget and manages to sell way less than previous games.

"Dead series" arguments are pointless because Kid Icarus Uprising exists.

And Uprising is nothing like the original Kid Icarus games. They just picked Kid Icarus because it was a fitting universe for the game they were making. That may happen with F-Zero though (Falcon Hand BTA ?) but that's not what fans are asking for right now.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Ok so it's no secret that a new F-ZERO on an HD console would be super fantastic, but here's the catch: are we SURE that we want one?

I especially put this question considering what Shiggy has mentioned about F-ZERO for Wii U:

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero

F-ZERO GX was -- no, is -- SUPER fantastic, and the absolute best evolution the IP has ever got (imo) with the razor-sharp framerate on the GameCube and deliciously brutal challenging races. And most, if not all, of that was thanks to SEGA's Amusement Visions that also handled Super Monkey Ball.

Last time we were really wanting an IP to have a new entry was Star Fox. And we got Star Fox Zero which pretty much indicated Shiggy's mentality about innovation and design. Star Fox Zero had an easy win, it had it on the sleeve, it was a perfectly winnable situation. But THEN they thought about ~~innovating~~ the controls which was the major turn off from everyone.

I believe what Shiggy may mean from not having "a good idea for what’s new" translates more to "the original formula is cool but I just must include a new thing to it whether you like it or not".

A new F-ZERO just needs to be a new F-ZERO. Just be a tough, super fast, and exciting super-charged racing game. I am afraid of what adding new ingredients to it could be. Is it really a good idea?

Do we

REALLY-REALLY

want a new F-ZERO?
Yes, we do want a new F-Zero. In response to the concerns/fears.
1. It's been so long since Nintendo released an F-Zero game that they don't even need to change the formula and it will feel new again.
2. It is a great title to release along side new hardware.
3. Starfox Zero was a dud, but that was almost expected given the turbulence (pun intended) over the controls while the game was in development. This is a similar situation to Metroid Other M.
4. Aside from Starfox, the other games fans wanted a sequel to were Kid Icarus and we got Uprising which was pretty much praised. Before that, it was Donkey Kong and we got DKCR. Before that it was Metroid and we got Metroid Prime.
5. A game that no-one was asking for and knocked it out the park was Excite Truck.

For whatever reason, there are certain IP that Nintendo seem to put unneeded pressure on themselves in the desire to innovate. It isn't always necessary and what's really needed are just small incremental changes. That's what they do with their big games like Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart, so I don't understand why they feel the need to do it with other IP. I wish gaming journalists would address this issue with them.

I love doing this dance because no matter how big the majority of "boo this sucks!" people (most of whom haven't actually played this seriously) is that can't handle swapping their attention between two screens when needed doesn't somehow mean that this game is bad.

I also love doing this dance because no matter how vocal the minority that enjoyed Star Fox Zero is, reviews and sales are gonna make sure that this piece of garbage is only gonna remain a footnote in a franchise that mainly consists of footnotes. And maybe, just maybe, Nintendo will learn a lesson from it and make a game for the rest of us that doesn't have to make any assumptions about how much others have spent on a game.

LewieP

I've just been revisiting F-Zero GX via Nintendont, and aside from a few small elements, it feels like it could have come out yesterday. What a game.

I'd love a proper remaster, or at least an official VC release on Switch, but providing they find the right dev for the job, I'd be very open for a follow up.

VDenter

Banned
X was better than GX though.
Come on, fuckers, I'll take you all on.

I see this thrown around allot and yeah X was great and all but come on. It felt like a prototype next to GX. There is not a single thing X does better with the exception of the soundtrack even then its debatable since GX had a way wider selection of songs.

TDLink

It is going to be hard to top F-Zero GX but I would still like to see them try.

At minimum I think a remaster of GX with online play would be a great release.

But in general, no, I don't think people do really want a new F-Zero. The series and genre of futuristic arcade racers in general has not sold well. It's extremely niche and it makes complete sense why the series has laid dormant for a couple generations.

fhqwhgads

I was wondering when the Nintendo thread cycle was going to come around to the "Miyamoto shitting thread" but we got there eventually.

Ridley327

I'm not sure there was really a deeper meaning to Miyamoto's statement other than placating someone asking about an IP that they haven't been particularly keen on resurrecting as a result of the one-two punch of GX's poor sales and their failure to have the IP catch on with the anime and the tie-in games on GBA. Unlike some of their other IPs that were arguably mismanaged by moving away from what made them good in the first place, F-Zero gave people exactly what they wanted and was ultimately rewarded with extreme indifference.

Star Fox Assault and Command are at least as bad as Zero. Adventures is a different case, as it's not a proper Starfox game. Critics were more reliant on Assault/Adventures because they were released on Gamecube, more than ten/fifteen years ago, a time when critics were...not really professional, to say the least. It's not comparable with today.
And Commands just got a pass because it's a handled game, even though it's as trash as the others.

Most of the Starfox games are bad, and get a pass because of the nostalgia, while the only two worthwile game in the entire serie are the two first. And well, the two first games are the only one that didn't fail commercially.

I don't see how you could argue that F-Zero isn't dead though. The first one sold about three millions (which is a good score), and was the best-selling game for the IP. It only went down after this, with F-Zero X barely selling over a million, and Maximum Velocity being about the same. Then, GX came, with a significantly bigger budget and manages to sell way less than previous games.

Yeah right, so we're going to the tired argument "they weren't good games anyway" to make Star Fox Zero looks better.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why the need to innovate?

Touch up the best F-Zero, add good online play, and you have a winner.

OK, time to derail the thread: F-Zero X was leagues better than F-Zero Gx, for gameplay, music and I'd even dare to say aesthetics (which is not graphic tech). Gx was a pale spin off saved only by the foundation basis behind it. F-Zero X is the pinnacle of arcade racing games and no other game I feel can touch it.

Sami+

I love F-Zero GX and don't really like Miyamoto, so yes I do really really want a new one that he hopefully wouldn't fuck up.

Ezalc

F-Zero GX is the best racing game ever made, it's a pretty high bar, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to surpass it. So yes, we REALLY do want a new F-Zero SO. FUCKING. MUCH.

There's plenty of things to do with the game that it doesn't have, online, track editors back, death race again, look at all the modes that Redout has. Nintendo can do it, but admittedly due to the difficulty of the games they don't sell that well. It's a sad reality, but I'm sure Nintendo can find a way to have an easier mode and one that retains all the masochistic challenge that is at the core of the series.

LordKano

Yeah right, so we're going to the tired argument "they weren't good games anyway" to make Star Fox Zero looks better.

Nope, they just never were good, from the start. I say that as someone who played through every one of them, before Zero was even announced.

Nairume

Banned
Why the need to innovate?

Touch up the best F-Zero, add good online play, and you have a winner.
For what it's worth, I imagine he personally wants to try and find a new innovation for it because F-Zero has been an increasingly hard sell and he would like to find some way to make the series more viable beyond the niche of dedicated fans. GX proved that adding in a story/mission mode wasn't enough.

Ridley327

For what it's worth, I imagine he personally wants to try and find a new innovation for it because F-Zero has been an increasingly hard sell and he would like to find some way to make the series more viable beyond the niche of dedicated fans. GX proved that adding in a story/mission mode wasn't enough.

I do think that Nintendo did make the mistake of spending as much money as they did on the game. It's insane that every character in the game got their own BGM and voice acting, and that the story mode had as many CG cutscenes as it did, but I can't imagine that they made the path to profitability easy with those kinds of moves on top of making it so content-rich.

Top Bottom