• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft has some of the best world art design in gaming

Piers

Wait...how can the world be "lifeless" with so much stuff running around? I find that there's too much life, because shit comes from nowhere to kill me on a regular basis.

As mentioned above, that's why appreciating the beauty can be hard because uh oh here comes company

EDarkness

As mentioned above, that's why appreciating the beauty can be hard because uh oh here comes company

I remember the first time I went to this lake area in one of the zones and there was this huge structure in the middle. I was curious about it so I started going towards it. The bastard changed into some huge ass monster and started chasing me. Freaked the crap out of me and I ran like hell. Gotta be careful out there or you'll end up dead...many times over. That game just made me more paranoid about exploring the place. Heh, heh.

Eliseo

I remember the first time I went to this lake area in one of the zones and there was this huge structure in the middle. I was curious about it so I started going towards it. The bastard changed into some huge ass monster and started chasing me. Freaked the crap out of me and I ran like hell. Gotta be careful out there or you'll end up dead...many times over. That game just made me more paranoid about exploring the place. Heh, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuZDlI6XqY0 relevant video lol

Ridley327

The best part about that is when you come back later on in a skell and try to fight it, he's got a couple more nasty surprises waiting for you.

Having built-in reflect on every element is so mean.

Garlador

Final Fantasy used to be like this too...

Well, it's still true for FFXIV at least.
7on_1.png

ffxiv-screenshot-1.jpg

FF2-620x.jpg

FFXIV_Heavensward-3.jpg

screenshot.final-fantasy-14-a-realm-reborn.1920x1080.2014-06-24.604.jpg

Reki

I agree! Before release I was worried that "only" five regions would make for a limited amount of environments (compared to XB) but the exploration trailer and the game itself proved how wrong I was.

Regarding the characters... I have mixed feelings about the models. Some of them are pretty great, but others not so much. There is a scene at the last chapter, with Doug laughing in a way in which his face was REALLY creepy... but then you have others like Hope, Elma or Vandham...

Anyways, when you look at the original designs they are normally good. I mean, I would have loved an Irina 3D model more faithful to the original design:

So you can say that the designer isn't bad, but something happens in the transition from the art to the game.

PS: I'm not sure how the scans guidelines of the site apply in this case, if this isn't allowed please tell me and I will remove the image inmediately.

tkscz

They did such an amazing job with XCX's world. Each location felt completely unique and area in each location felt unique. It's definitely worth just walking through the world

I agree! Before release I was worried that "only" five regions would make for a limited amount of environments (compared to XB) but the exploration trailer and the game itself proved how wrong I was.

Regarding the characters... I have mixed feelings about the models. Some of them are pretty great, but others not so much. There is a scene at the last chapter, with Doug laughing in a way in which his face was REALLY creepy... but then you have others like Hope, Elma or Vandham...

Anyways, when you look at the original designs they are normally good. I mean, I would have loved an Irina 3D model more faithful to the original design:

So you can say that the designer isn't bad, but something happens in the transition from the art to the game.

PS: I'm not sure how the scans guidelines of the site apply in this case, if this isn't allowed please tell me and I will remove the image inmediately.

Wait that was the original irina?

That's like a perfectly designed Cindy. Why the hell didn't we get this instead.

Garlador

Wait that was the original irina?

That's like a perfectly designed Cindy. Why the hell didn't we get this instead.

... It totally is.

Thanks for this. Now whenever people talk about alternatives to Cindy's design, this is going to be in the forefront of my mind.

EDarkness

Xenoblade Chronicles had a pretty awesome story, I thought.

And I think the character DESIGNS are fine.

It's the character MODELS that have always suffered.

And that's been true since at least Xenosaga. I remember those models being rather off-putting as well.
gfs_21067_2_2.jpg

Yeah, they've been struggling with models for a long time now. Didn't Xenosaga go through three different model changes over the course of the three games?

Jarmel

Banned
Yea they need to have better character models. As their projects become more high definition/better graphics that problem is only going to become worse. It's not so much the initial designs but their models that are complete ass.

Ridley327

Yeah, they've been struggling with models for a long time now. Didn't Xenosaga go through three different model changes over the course of the three games?

Yeah, they had a major identity crisis throughout the series. Part 2 went into a substantially less stylized direction for the characters, while part 3 tried to split the difference between parts 1 and 2.

Golnei

And I think the character DESIGNS are fine.

It's the character MODELS that have always suffered.

I don't think the models are all that great in terms of translating the art either (though for what it's worth, I do think the original game's characters did end up a lot less uncanny in the face department than X despite being low-detail, the beta image you posted is a lot worse than the final game), but the designs themselves haven't been great. Xenoblade's armour is among the ugliest I've ever seen in a game.

X isn't perfect, but that was an area it improved on considerably - especially with the addition of cosmetic and casual gear. I'd have liked the characters to have also gotten some more distinctive default designs, but the humanoid aliens generally made up for that; with designs much stronger than those of the first game's
Machina
- as long as you ignore the male Prone.

Nanashrew

Banned
So true. The animation is really poor.

I feel the animation for people and cutscenes was a budget constraint. The beasts around Mira are largely fine though. It's a very large open world teeming with life all over the place and lots of variation in landscape and objects that reduce the patterned look you see from textures. I can't imagine all the money and work they had to put into it. I think Iwata even commented on the budget before in an Iwata asks as well.

I like to think that Mira is a character just as much as everyone else in the game. It's unique with a lot of personality and memorable places to visit.

Smasher89

The first game kept suprising me of the scale time and time again.

About Xenoblade X (major plot spoilers kinda
I felt was small, but when realizing the whole setting was just a according to what I've heard(game lenght) about 600h prologue, I can see this going many more interesting ways in the sequel, but its kinda hard to keep investing in the game after the main story and a little bit more imo.

Another reason Im so incredibly hyped for Zelda. That scale is going to do that game wonders.. imagine walking up on a huge waterfall like in X but in Zelda with that style. Will look amazing!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Baten Kaitos, Xenoblade, and X are some of my favorite worlds in all of gaming. I love how lush and vibrant, yet alien they are. They really encourage exploration and you just want to learn more about their worlds.

Top Bottom