• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Games helping with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Missed chance to title this "Monster Games helping with Fucking Donkey Kong". For shame, Hero!

Poor Donkey Kong. His ass has been taking quite the beating lately.

Edit: It was confirmed in this GI interview that Yamamoto is working on the music as well. If someone wants they could make a thread about him working on fucking donkey kong too.

Missed chance to title this "Monster Games helping with Fucking Donkey Kong". For shame, Hero!

I believe this as well, not to mention, I think Miyamoto insinuated that they could tackle more than a game at a time.

LOL I did consider it! Mostly finding a way to put in FUCKING CRANKY KONG! XD

Fiktion

Banned
Poor Donkey Kong. His ass has been taking quite the beating lately.

Edit: It was confirmed in this GI interview that Yamamoto is working on the music as well. If someone wants they could make a thread about him working on fucking donkey kong too.

We don't know if he's actually composing or just filling the same role he had last time around and giving input.

Lijik

Cant BELIEVE monster games is being wasted on fucking donkey kong. what a fucking disgrace fire iwata, nitendoomed

Yeah buying Monster and Next Level Games seems like it would be a good way for Nintendo to expand their North American studios.
Not to be like "OMG SEQUELS PLZ" but Punch Out and Excite Wave seem like a quick and easy way to diversify their Wii U lineup.

Mariolee

One of these Nintendo Directs, Monster Games will reveal a new Excite game. They have to. THEY HAVE TO. How did the Excite Wii games sell anyway?

Yeah buying Monster and Next Level Games seems like it would be a good way for Nintendo to expand their North American studios.
They already have a deep partnership. Why buy when they have them on lockdown it seems? Buying them means taking on the risk that they can easily avoid. If the leadership or talent walks away, nintendo can too.

One of these Nintendo Directs, Monster Games will reveal a new Excite game. They have to. THEY HAVE TO. How did the Excite Wii games sell anyway?
Purely speaking out of my own ass, ExciteTruck probably did well since it was a Wii launch game and seemed to be hard to find for a while, whereas Excitebots came out of nowhere and price collapsed pretty quickly so I'm guessing it didn't do too hot. But Nintendo never gave the impression that they had much faith in it anyway.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

People are are just obsessed with this monopolist-conglomerate ideal of buying studios so they become "legit developers". Monster Games has been an exclusively funded Nintendo developer for nine years. 9 YEARS!!!

What's buying the 18 person company going to change from that 9 year dynamic? Make the lives of people who makes lists on GAF a little easier?

Oddduck

It's pretty funny how a sidescrolling platformer has become such a big project that it needed three years of development time and two studios (Retro Studios and Monster Games) to complete it. The developers of Trine 2, with their 20 employees, have to be laughing at all of this.

People are are just obsessed with this monopolist-conglomerate ideal of buying studios so they become "legit developers". Monster Games has been an exclusively funded Nintendo developer for nine years. 9 YEARS!!!

What's buying the 18 person company going to change from that 9 year dynamic? Make the lives of people who makes lists on GAF a little easier?

Nintendo might be willing to invest and expand the studio if they actually owned them. Then Monster could become capable of handling more than a tiny Pilotwings game and a few levels for Donkey Kong.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Couldn't they make the company bigger?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo might be willing to invest and expand the studio if they actually owned them. Then Monster could become capable of handling more than a tiny Pilotwings game and a few levels for Donkey Kong.

1. Not every studio wants to become a 50-200 man company where people are in and out the revolving door just looking to bounce from one job to a higher paying job. Some companies like staying small, with the same people working there for years.

2. Nintendo's consevatism and stringent management hasn't ever been idealistic for R&D expansion. Nintendo has been slow in expanding their prized Japanese R&D, and completely stagnant on their western ones. Look at freaking NST! Nintendo buying a company is not the big green light for expansion at all.

1. Not every studio wants to become a 50-200 man company where people are in and out the revolving door just looking to bounce from one job to a higher paying job. Some companies like staying small, with the same people working there for years.

2. Nintendo's consevatism and stringent management hasn't ever been idealistic for R&D expansion. Nintendo has been slow in expanding their prized Japanese R&D, and completely stagnant on their western ones. Look at freaking NST! Nintendo buying a company is not the big green light for expansion at all.

Exactly, They got burned a with the retro exodus. That is what they try to avoid by staying second party.

As for monster, people need to get it out of their heads that a tiny studio in the middle of minosota will become a new retro. Retro can get the people it does because its in the middle of austin, where there is a large talent pool and industry to pick from and a great city to intice people too.

Well, if Monster isn't interested in the acquisition, then I agree it's a bad idea. But if they are, Nintendo needs expansion, and buying a Western dev is a good idea.

Monster is a good candidate for Nintendo precisely because Nintendo has worked with them for so long. And Nintendo is a good candidate for Monster because they have the deep pockets to grow the studio if Monster so desired.

Again, I agree with you about how Nintendo has been in the past. They have been reticent to expand. But I'm not saying Nintendo will buy up studios and grow them. I'm saying they should. And Monster seems to be a good candidate because, much like Monolithsoft, they have a previous long-standing relationship.

Sure, it'd be silly to just buy up a studio who develops exclusively for Nintendo and then do nothing differently with them, but that's not the full plan of what many are suggesting.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

I dont know you, but I feel like we would be good friends. Ha.

Excitebots didn't even release outside of NA.

Edit: Wikipedia tells me it released in Japan two and a half years later?
Fuck you Shibata

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take this as further evidence Retro is making two games.

My thought as well. I'm prepared for disappointment though, but it seems a bit strange for a layman that a studio like retro would spend so many year making two (amazing) 2D platformers only, and nothing else.

Unless they have been and it got canned of course.

daakusedo

Who's helping on mario kart 8 then? Monster helping retro helping ead...
Those hd remade old tracks won't make themselves!

It's pretty funny how a sidescrolling platformer has become such a big project that it needed three years of development time and two studios (Retro Studios and Monster Games) to complete it. The developers of Trine 2, with their 20 employees, have to be laughing at all of this.

It's funny how people assume they know everything about game development, and the development of specific projects. We don't know how long TF has been in development, how much manpower they are using, the difficulties of this specific project, etc. Oh and of course there is the fact that aside from being in 2D Trine 2 and TF are completely different games.

JDSN

Banned
Thats good news, I suppose, they are getting themselves familiar with WiiU hardware.

Probably to make Luigi's Mansion 2 too WiiU.

Given that Yamamoto is completely uninvolved with the game I'd have to assume something else is being worked on. Unless there's a Metroid being made somewhere else.

Yamamoto is involved. From the interview, concerning the delay:

"And, let’s not forget it gave David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto a little extra time to make adjustments to the amazing soundtrack!"

The Boat

These guys probably think their lucky stars that Nintendo likes them. They've earned it though, they're really good.

That's a shame. I wish they were working on a full blown Pilotwings game for the WiiU. They did a good job with Resort, aside from having only one island to explore.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I have no idea why, but now I want Monster Games and whatever nintendo group is handy to make Excite Wars.

It would be like Battalion Wars, but all the vehicles would be trucks and bikes and jet skis.

Shiggy

A director from NCL and not from Retro?

The GI interview says the actual creation of the game is all at Retro, so that does sound odd. Perhaps it is Vince Jolly, who was at the VGA's with Reggie, formerly Retro's animator, then art director, and now creative director at who is heading the project. Maybe Tom Ivey, who was one of three leads on DKCR but left for Armature earlier this year was originally heading the project, but that is just a guess... But of course the above lead says Tabata is director. That would be odd because for one, she is not at Retro, and two, in the DKCR Iwata Asks, she admitted to never having experience with the DKC series before DKCR.

But I mean, Sakamoto was credited as director, producer, and story for Other M when development was done at Team Ninja, but in that case Sakamoto was actually working at their headquarters during that time.

Top Bottom