• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Soneet said:
I believe the split-screen arena is more or less used to introduce new players to the series (just to have fun for a short while). The real meat of the game is in the single player / online multiplayer. Hunting monsters is never boring though, so if you're with someone else it's always fun to play it, even if you've already played before. It's like Street Fighter, if you've played a Ryu vs Ken match before you won't avoid playing that match up just because you've already played a Ryu vs Ken match before.
My theory is that Capcom was experimenting with having some sort of a local co-op only mode within the game to encourage players to find other people who might then decide to get the game since the secret to the portable series' success in Japan is the local coop aspect of it.

That's probably the real reason you can't just do it online like practically everything else.

MNC

Damn this game looks fun. Tempted to buy. Is it online only with friends or with randomers as well?

dock

I'm very torn on this! It certainly looks interesting, but I've struggled with online games previously because of the difficulties of arranging games etc. It's also pretty expensive, to get the game + controller + wii speak.

Is there much scope for playing with strangers? If I have an hour to kill, can I play this game effectively in single or multiplayer, or should I reserve it for 3 hours stints to allow for the hassle of arranging games?

I wanted to mention, EBGames in Ontario province-wide may be out of pre-orders for the bundle. I just tried yesterday and was only able to get the game and black pro separate.

I asked if he could somehow see if it was out in other provinces, he couldn't get that information.

HMV Canada is oddly not getting the bundle, I don't quite remember if it was just the one or actually all the locations. Anyone pre-order the bundle at HMV Canada?

If there's one thing I despise about bundles period, is that if one thing's screwy with the game; you have to return the accessory that came with it, they won't take it separately. X_X

But the curse of Canada has affected Capcom; their games (just Wii games? I forget, more than surely not) are forced to come in that horrid shrinkwrapping with the extra manual in the back. Games in bundles shouldn't have that I think. That's why I wanted the bundle in the first place.

Doesn't really matter in the end I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tenbatsu said:
If possible, try not to start out as a gunner. Still it's your call.

Well I can't see how it wouldn't be possible, but I do enjoy unnecessarily challenging myself until I get good enough. :p

What is this business of a special controller? How necessary is it?

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
My theory is that Capcom was experimenting with having some sort of a local co-op only mode within the game to encourage players to find other people who might then decide to get the game since the secret to the portable series' success in Japan is the local coop aspect of it.

That's probably the real reason you can't just do it online like practically everything else.
Arena mode is available online for 2 player too.

Hawkian said:
Well I can't see how it wouldn't be possible, but I do enjoy unnecessarily challenging myself until I get good enough. :p

What is this business of a special controller? How necessary is it?
Ok, but don't give up! When the going gets tough the tough get going!

You mean the Classic Controller Pro?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's the one. I see there's supposedly a bundle with it. How much of a handicap is playing with the regular old mote and chuck?

taoofjord

dock said:
I'm very torn on this! It certainly looks interesting, but I've struggled with online games previously because of the difficulties of arranging games etc. It's also pretty expensive, to get the game + controller + wii speak.

Is there much scope for playing with strangers? If I have an hour to kill, can I play this game effectively in single or multiplayer, or should I reserve it for 3 hours stints to allow for the hassle of arranging games?

I would like to know this too, and in more detail. What am I missing out on if I stick to playing this singleplayer? Because of time restraints I want to stick to playing this in SP. I really enjoyed how Demon's Souls on PS3 integrated the online features and how they would often enhance your game passively.

Luigiv

taoofjord said:
I would like to know this too, and in more detail. What am I missing out on if I stick to playing this singleplayer? Because of time restraints I want to stick to playing this in SP. I really enjoyed how Demon's Souls on PS3 integrated the online features and how they would often enhance your game passively.
To quote myself from the previous page

Yes single player mode is still a lot of fun. In fact of the 150 hours I've put into the franchise so far, about 145 hours of that has been in single player.

Hawkian said:
That's the one. I see there's supposedly a bundle with it. How much of a handicap is playing with the regular old mote and chuck?
WM&N scheme has it's advantages, though I personally find the button placement to be a bit too messy for my tastes. It won't be a hindrance to gameplay, but it will be a bit harder on your thumb then the CC schemes.

taoofjord

Luigiv said:
To quote myself from the previous page

Yes single player mode is still a lot of fun. In fact of the 150 hours I've put into the franchise so far, about 145 hours of that has been in single player.

WM&N scheme has it's advantages, though I personally find the button placement to be a bit too messy for my tastes. It won't be a hindrance to gameplay, but it will be a bit harder on your thumb then the CC schemes.

But what am I missing out on by playing it single player (primarily)?

Aside from the fun of playing in a party and having the chance to share tips, what else? Will I miss out on multiplayer-exlclusive content outside of the MP hub? Does the AI of the monsters work equally well for MP and SP?

And I can switch back and forth between MP and SP without any penalities, right?

Tenbatsu

Soneet said:
PS. Those located in Japan, are you able to play with any of the US or EUR people? If so, how? By disc? Not by IP? Does that mean if I buy an American version alongside with my PAL version I can play with everyone if I just switch my disc?
You are able to play with anyone in the world provided that all of you are having the correct region for both Wii and game. As for the English version, I am not sure if the game will be tied down to the Wii Shop account like the Japanese version which prevents you from going online if your shop is not the correct region.

Hawkian said:
No handicap at all. If you are new to the series, its a good way to start by using the wiiremote & nunchuk. One piece of advise is to hold them in a relax position eg. resting on your laps so that you are able to play for long session. I switch between the two while my hunting buddy totally phrase out the CCPro.

taoofjord said:
But what am I missing out on by playing it single player (primarily)?

Aside from the fun of playing in a party and having the chance to share tips, what else? Will I miss out on multiplayer-exlclusive content? Does the AI of the monsters work equally well for MP and SP?
Yap, you will miss out on online exclusive contents and monsters. The AI work equally well for both. Of course if you start by playing online, offline mode will be be unbalance as online weapons/armors are so much stronger.

EDIT: No penalties.

Teknoman

MNC said:
Damn this game looks fun. Tempted to buy. Is it online only with friends or with randomers as well?

Both.

Also if someone could make a steam icon, I could try and get a steam community running so we have multiple places to post events.

Wizpig

Are the MMO elements a huge part of this?

Let me explain: I know that the "main" mode is still single-player, but after my first thoughts of this being like PSO (more casual friendly, you can play 1 hours @ day and still play with friends that play 9 hours at day, you only have to concern yourself with weapons etc.) I see in some videos that there is mining, almost no music in gameplay, etc.

Is farming minerals an important part of the game? when can you hear some actual music? is it good? can you play with friends that have stronger characters than you?

taoofjord

Tenbatsu said:
I wonder if the English version will be tied down to the Wii Shop account like the Japanese version which prevents you from going online if your shop is not the correct region.

No handicap at all. If you are new to the series, its a good way to start by using the wiiremote & nunchuk. One piece of advise is to hold them in a relax position eg. resting on your laps so that you are able to play for long session. I switch between the two while my hunting buddy totally phrase out the CCPro.

Yap, you will miss out on online exclusive contents and monsters. The AI work equally well for both. Of course if you start by playing online, offline mode will be be unbalance as online weapons/armors are so much stronger.

EDIT: No penalties.

So it sounds like it's good, as a beginner, to play offline mode for a dozen hours or so... getting past the ~8 hour tutorial, then playing on my own a bit to get comfortable enough to play with other people and not annoy the crap out of them. Then jump to online and stick with that for the most part. Is that right? What about if I play a ton online and want to play offline again, obviously I keep all my equipment, but does my online progress translate to my offline progress in regard to the quests I can take on?

Thanks for the help :]

Reknoc

Wizpig said:

Let me explain: I know that the "main" mode is still single-player, but after my first thoughts of this being like PSO (more casual friendly, you can play 1 hours @ day and still play with friends that play 9 hours at day, you only have to concern yourself with weapons etc.) I see in some videos that there is mining, almost no music in gameplay, etc.

Is farming minerals an important part of the game? when can you hear some actual music? is it good? can you play with friends that have stronger characters than you?

Farming minerals/materials is pretty much the most important part of Monster Hunter. Can't say when the music plays but I can say that it's no doubt completely amazing like the rest of the series.

Tenbatsu

Wizpig said:

Farming minerals is pretty important in the beginning. As for the later part, you can totally skip them as you can grow your stuff by using the farm in offline mode. Except for a few items and picking.

There are full orchestra music for every boss monsters when you encounter them. Ask john TV if you wanna know if they are good:) And yes you can play with friends with stronger equipments.

taoofjord said:
So it sounds like it's good, as a beginner, to play offline mode for a dozen hours or so... getting past the ~8 hour tutorial, then playing on my own a bit to get comfortable enough to play with other people and not annoy the crap out of them. Then jump to online and stick with that for the most part. Is that right? What about if I play a ton online and want to play offline again, obviously I keep all my equipment, but does my online progress translate to my offline progress in regard to the quests I can take on?

Thanks for the help :]
That will be ideal:)

What you progress online don't translate to offline. Its possible to be a hunter of rank 999 online and not even clear a single mission offline.

Eteric Rice

farscape82 said:
Its 16:9, just it has black bars on the left and right, like a lot of wii games do.

Gah, I hate that shit. It annoys the fuck out of me. Seriously.

So it's basically the same as the demo?

Laaaaame.

fernoca

Amazon did it! XD!!!
Ordered the Logitech Wireless Keyboard on Wednesday (with Free Shipping), they shipped it Friday (saying it may be here by Friday April 23rd)..and just received it today!

Darn thing is small, pretty, shiny! Love it!
Guess I'm all set for tomorrow.
Still wondering on trading my Classic for a Pro..

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Eteric Rice said:
Gah, I hate that shit. It annoys the fuck out of me. Seriously.

So it's basically the same as the demo?

Laaaaame.
It's like an inch on each side, is it really that big of a deal?

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
SO EXCITED!! I won't be able to play until Thursday night but still... I AM EXCITE. Are you guys planning on setting up certain rooms/cities for gaf? Or at least trying to? And ten.. are you going to play on the west coast servers?

Teknoman said:
Both.

Also if someone could make a steam icon, I could try and get a steam community running so we have multiple places to post events.

I whipped this up real quick as a place holder.

10prma1.jpg

Raging Spaniard i am not.

Tenbatsu said:
Farming minerals is pretty important in the beginning. As for the later part, you can totally skip them as you can grow your stuff by using the farm in offline mode. Except for a few items and picking.

Explain this in more detail please.

I was complaining to my wife that I wanted another game like Rune Factory Frontier for the Wii. How deep are these farming mechanics? Do you just buy from some dude?

I'm gonna buy Monster Hunter anyway but if it scratches my Rune Factory itch even a little i'll be happy.

fernoca

farscape82 said:
I think people are disapointed with it is because the japanese version didnt had the bars.
??
It had the bars too..at least the videos and pictures I've seen did.
Most Capcom games on Wii have them..anyway.

seipherzero

Neo Member
I've played 200+ hours of MHP2G/MHFU primarily as a HBG user and Hammer user. Since the gunning system has been totally revamped, is it still safe to start off as a Gunner? I saw your recommendation Tenbatsu, but I wasn't sure if it applied to semi-experienced hunters too.

And can that new ammo (slicing shot) cut tails too?!

fernoca said:
??
It had the bars too..at least the videos and pictures I've seen did.
Most Capcom games on Wii have them..anyway.

I saw the japanese version once by a friend, and i am pretty sure it didnt had any bars

DRock said:
It's like an inch on each side, is it really that big of a deal?
It's a big deal for me. I can't stand it when games don't fill the screen. I own a plasma and if I play like that for too long I'm afraid it will burn those bars into the screen. I can circumvent it by switching the aspect ratio of my TV every so often, but that's annoying.

It's disappointing but isn't going to prevent me from enjoying such an amazing game.

Khezu

"Ashly" from gamestop just called me, says I can pick up MH3 tomorrow evening at 12. That doesn't sound right, I don't preorder a lot of games, or really buy them new, but shouldn't I be able to pick up during the day? Or was "she" supposed to call me yesterday?

fernoca

farscape82 said:
I saw the japanese version once by a friend, and i am pretty sure it didnt had any bars
The bars are not that big ..sometimes even depends on the set you're playing..
You can even see in direct feed videos of the japanese version, (like this one) that the game is not fully widescreen.

Or here:

23jl9hl.jpg

The small gap/bars in the japanese version too...

I don 't mind, but some people do..

Khezu said:
"Ashly" from gamestop just called me, says I can pick up MH3 tomorrow evening at 12pm. That doesn't sound right, I don't preorder a lot of games, or really buy them new, but shouldn't I be able to pick up during the day? Or was "she" supposed to call me yesterday?
Yeah, just got the call too.
The call is basically to tell you that you can pick it after 12pm..at any moment,, more like to make sure. You could try earlier, but the 12PM time is basically to make sure the game will be there already. Many stores already received the shipment last week, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Khezu said:
"Ashly" from gamestop just called me, says I can pick up MH3 tomorrow evening at 12pm. That doesn't sound right, I don't preorder a lot of games, or really buy them new, but shouldn't I be able to pick up during the day? Or was "she" supposed to call me yesterday?

Tomorrow at 12pm is during the day. It's during lunch

Khezu

MikeE21286 said:
Tomorrow at 12pm is during the day. It's during lunch

Actually I meant AM, I just woke up not totally coherent ATM, said I could come in at 10 to check things out and wait until 12.

thefro

Khezu said:
"Ashly" from gamestop just called me, says I can pick up MH3 tomorrow evening at 12. That doesn't sound right, I don't preorder a lot of games, or really buy them new, but shouldn't I be able to pick up during the day? Or was "she" supposed to call me yesterday?

I got a txt saying the game could be picked up Tuesday AM from the store I preordered from.

Tenbatsu said:
Arena mode is available online for 2 player too.
If that's the case, I'll be happy.

Going on a tangent, I told a coworker that I would help him out online if he got tri, but now I remember that after months of owning Unite, he still hasn't gotten beyond fighting kut-kus. Playing with random pubs starts to sound good in comparison.

XPE

I'm actually seeing adverts for this game on TV in the UK and it not just some crappy station at 1.30 in the morning (yes I'm taking a shot at red steel 2)

What it like in the states ?

fernoca said:
The bars are not that big ..sometimes even depends on the set you're playing..
You can even see in direct feed videos of the japanese version
Man, i was so sure that it was full screen, but i believe you my mind must have played a trick with me.

Top Bottom